Best Albums of 2016

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dubsem

Re: Best Albums of 2016

Post by dubsem »

Beyonce's Lemonade.
G.O.O.D.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

GeraniumLover wrote:Ian Hunter - Fingers Crossed. Amazing work from a 77-year old. Including his tribute to David Bowie, Dandy.

wow- he's still around. I liked Mott The Hoople back in the day. They were like a Bob Dylan, Rolling Stone, Bette Midler combo.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

Baby Metal - Metal Resistance
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

PrinceAli132 wrote:
protagonist wrote: Thank you for this. When my daughter was still living at home it was easy to stay contemporary and not grow moss...she has excellent taste. Now that she has moved away I don't get enough exposure to new music of quality, though I do try to seek it out. Most of my contemporaries are stuck in their past. (I suppose I should not say that, since I am a jazz musician and most of what I play was composed before I was born *laughing*).

If you listen to podcasts consider subscribing to:

NPR All Songs Considered

Good episode with new artists in 2016 - Your Favorite New Musicians Of 2016 (So Far)

Ali
Thanks, Prince!

Yes, I listen to podcasts driving to and from NYC. I will add this one to my list.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

JupiterJones wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:Kanye West: Life of Pablo. I understand why you hate him. But he's a genius.
Is he really? I don't hate the guy, but I sure don't see him as even close to a genius either.

Granted, my exposure to his stuff is mostly via television appearances (SNL, etc.) Nothing I've heard him do there has impressed me much. Maybe sitting down and listening to an album of his is different?
Sportswriter Bill Simmons summed it up best, when he said "Kanye West is a genius, only he knows it, and that’s the problem."

I have been following Kanye since he put out his album "Late Registration" - an album that is easily in my top 50 all time greats. In it, he rapped about think like blood diamonds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92FCRmggNqQ), and backed it with real music. (Check out that video.) Each album he makes is always worth listening to from beginning to end.

Listen to Late Registration from beginning to end, and then get back to me.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
rob

Post by rob »

I've lost track of "albums" now days but some new to me artists I've been listening to recently are....
First Aid Kit
Alexi Murdoch
Lucy Rose
Wharfer
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

rob wrote:I've lost track of "albums" now days but some new to me artists I've been listening to recently are....
First Aid Kit
When I first heard of them, I figured (they being from Sweden) that it would be typical Europop. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found that was not the case. I like them quite a bit.
rob wrote:Alexi Murdoch
Lucy Rose
Wharfer
I'll check these out.

Earl
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

GeraniumLover wrote:Ian Hunter - Fingers Crossed. Amazing work from a 77-year old. Including his tribute to David Bowie, Dandy.
I remember Ian Hunter as a very hip guy when I was in college 40 years ago. "Once Bittem Twice Shy". Glad to hear he is not only alive, but still productive!
belowthefold

Post by belowthefold »

Some of these have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Anderson Paak - Malibu
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Anna Meredith - Varmints
The Avalanches - Wildflower
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
Charles Bradley - Changes (Hope he can bounce back from his cancer diagnosis. Incredible performer.)
Daughter - Not to Disappear
Frank Ocean - Blonde
Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Pinegrove - Cardinal
Mitski - Puberty 2
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Nicolas Jaar - Sirens

Just some albums that I really enjoyed at different points or throughout this year. Plenty of things I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations from this thread. Also hope I enjoy Common's new album dropping this month.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

rob wrote:I've lost track of "albums" now days but some new to me artists I've been listening to recently are....
First Aid Kit
Alexi Murdoch
Lucy Rose
Wharfer
Still waiting for a new Alexi Murdoch album. 5 years is too long. First Aid Kit is a great band as well. I'll have to listen to the others - haven't heard of them. With 50% of your list getting two big thumbs up, the other 2 must be fantastic as well.
SavageAmusement

Post by SavageAmusement »

Barry Gibb recently released a new album entitled "In The Now." Before you start laughing, check it out. It's actually quite good. It's available in Amazon Prime if you have a membership.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

triceratop wrote:Teenage Fanclub's latest album out last month, Here, is quite good. The single I have nothing more to say off that album is excellent. They also released some new singles in the past few weeks.

Note: Their music is nothing like their name would suggest. I believe they were once called the best band in the world by none other than Kurt Cobain.

YT playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGlFmx ... q_KtlO9VCn
I have been listening to this album. Not what I expected. Highly recommended.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Petrocelli wrote:
triceratop wrote:Teenage Fanclub's latest album out last month, Here, is quite good. The single I have nothing more to say off that album is excellent. They also released some new singles in the past few weeks.

Note: Their music is nothing like their name would suggest. I believe they were once called the best band in the world by none other than Kurt Cobain.

YT playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGlFmx ... q_KtlO9VCn
I have been listening to this album. Not what I expected. Highly recommended.
I'm glad you liked it! Their album "Shadows" from 2010 is also excellent in my opinion.

(At the risk of going too far back in time for a 2016 albums thread: Belle and Sebastian is also a great group)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
JEC

Post by JEC »

Local Natives - Sunlit Youth
Blind Pilot - And Then Like Lions
Bon Iver - 22, A Million
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I just bought the soundtrack from the BBC TV show Death In Paradise. SKA/Reggae music. I love the show and a good part of that is the music! I was surprised. I liked very much the Blondie selection: The Tide is High.

On my list of things to do:
  1. Sample some more Blondie music.
  2. Look into Ska music. I already know there are several "waves" of this and the early wave (late '50s to '60s) is what I like. Later waves morph into metal/rap/punk and other genres I probably will not appreciate. There are apparently contemporary Ska bands that still play first wave Ska. The Skatelites formed during the first wave, disbanded and reformed in the '80s and are still recording today, although new band members have come and gone. Vocalist Doreen Shaffer is an original band ember since 1963 and is still with the band.

The Skatelites have a 2016 (August) album
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

bertilak wrote:I just bought the soundtrack from the BBC TV show Death In Paradise. SKA/Reggae music. I love the show and a good part of that is the music! I was surprised. I liked very much the Blondie selection: The Tide is High.

I saw Blondie perform live on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart -- I recommend this!
  2. Look into Ska music. I already know there are several "waves" of this and the early wave (late '50s to '60s) is what I like. Later waves morph into metal/rap/punk and other genres I probably will not appreciate. There are apparently contemporary Ska bands that still play first wave Ska. The Skatelites formed during the first wave, disbanded and reformed in the '80s and are still recording today, although new band members have come and gone. Vocalist Doreen Shaffer is an original band ember since 1963 and is still with the band.

"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

bertilak wrote:I just bought the soundtrack from the BBC TV show Death In Paradise. SKA/Reggae music. I love the show and a good part of that is the music! I was surprised. I liked very much the Blondie selection: The Tide is High.

I will check out the Skatelites.

For a great ska album, check out "The Specials" (produced by Elvis Costello.)

As for Blondie, I saw them in 1979 or 1980. They had the best drummer I ever saw live.
cpw84

Post by cpw84 »

Art Angels by Grimes

My music taste is weird or diverse, depending who you ask. She makes everything herself, totally self produced. I just love her creativity. This album is more poppy than her earlier releases. An older album, Visions, is a good entry point if you aren't familiar with her music - check out the tracks "Genesis" and "Oblivion". Kind of electronic/dance/ambient/indy I dunno. Hard to pin down a genre.

"Realiti" off Art Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

cpw84 wrote:Art Angels by Grimes

My music taste is weird or diverse, depending who you ask. She makes everything herself, totally self produced. I just love her creativity. This album is more poppy than her earlier releases. An older album, Visions, is a good entry point if you aren't familiar with her music - check out the tracks "Genesis" and "Oblivion". Kind of electronic/dance/ambient/indy I dunno. Hard to pin down a genre.

"Realiti" off Art Angels

I think that's a 2015 album, but...

According to Last.fm (which tracks my listens on Spotify), that is the album I have played the most over the last 365 days. One of my all time favorites.
cpw84

Post by cpw84 »

Petrocelli wrote:

"Realiti" off Art Angels

According to Last.fm (which tracks my listens on Spotify), that is the album I have played the most over the last 365 days. One of my all time favorites.
I had the thought that just maybe I should check the date because I knew it was close. Wow this year has flown by.
bnwest

Post by bnwest »

Panic at the Disco - Death of a Bachelor
Ginger Wildheart - The Year of the Fanclub
Royal Repubic - Weekend Man
Rick Springfield - Rocket Science
The Struts - Everybody Wants
3 Doors Down - Us and the Night
Joe Bonamassa - Blue of Desperation
Candlebox - Disappearing in Airports
Cheap Trick - Bang Zoom Cray ... Hello
Six AM - Prayers for he Damned
Tiger Army - V
Treat - Ghost of Graceland
Dare - Sacred Ground
Andy Black - The Shadow Side
Dan Reed Network - Fight Another Day
Gary Hoey - Dust & Bones
Young Gun Silver Fox - West End Coast
Green Day - Revolution Radio
Blackberry Smoke - Like an Arrow
Ghost BS - Popestar
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Petrocelli wrote:

I checked the library, and they have that plus another (Visions) by her. Not sure if it's my thing, but the library is a great way to sample without commitment.

Earl
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Mercedes Benz used to published a mix tape periodically. Depends on your taste, but generally excellent music. They stopped about 18 months ago. An archive of 63 mix tapes (790+ tracks) is still available on iTunes, or here (only the first 59 tapes, 670+ tracks):
http://www.elias-lange.de/mercedes-benz ... mpilation/
or for the last one:
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/merced ... ixed-tape/
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I'm a little behind on seriously listening to some recent stuff, but some of my personal favorites:

Beyoncé - Lemonade
Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION Side B
Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
White Lung - Paradise

Honorable mentions to Ariana Grande, Future, Katy B, Kendrick Lamar, Junior Boys, Lake Street Dive, Rae Sremmurd, Vince Staples, YG, Young Thug.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

As the kids who actually think all this garbage is music would say: OMG
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

soboggled wrote:As the kids who actually think all this garbage is music would say: OMG
Yeah, we all know how many professional music critics are kids! http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums ... ected=2016
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Ketawa wrote:
soboggled wrote:As the kids who actually think all this garbage is music would say: OMG
Yeah, we all know how many professional music critics are kids! http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums ... ected=2016
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... rting.html
And that doesn't even address the despair, vulgarity, puerility, misogyny, racism, drug culture, and/or use of the n word and other obscenities in the lyrics of so much of the "music" that is celebrated by the "critics".
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

I didn't see Car Seat Headrest's Teens of Denial on this list. Excellent stuff. A long album at 70+ minutes but diverse, interesting all the way throughout. I find it hard to categorize them but might say the playfulness and harder drumming of the White Stripes, mixed with multi-speed, multi-sound style of Arcade Fire perhaps.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

soboggled wrote:
Ketawa wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... rting.html
And that doesn't even address the despair, vulgarity, puerility, misogyny, racism, drug culture, and/or use of the n word and other obscenities in the lyrics of so much of the "music" that is celebrated by the "critics".
I take it you are making generalizations based on what you heard or read somewhere, as opposed to listening to the music above. Rap music is extremely advanced and musically complex.

Here's an interesting rap video from Kendrick Lamar rapping about love and depression. (The riff is from the Isley Brothers' "That Lady"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donS3zZZTu8

In my opinion, popular music today is better than at any time ever -- other than the late 1960s.
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

Petrocelli wrote:In my opinion, popular music today is better than at any time ever -- other than the late 1960s.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks, bro.

Personally, I think it is easier to produce music right now and distribute it to people than at any time in recorded history. So you have a veritable flood of music of all genres. When you have that much content, sure you can find a good artist in even the most obscure genre you can think of. But really it's like mining, you sift through a ton of dirt to get a gram of goodness.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

PandaBear wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:In my opinion, popular music today is better than at any time ever -- other than the late 1960s.

Personally, I think it is easier to produce music right now and distribute it to people than at any time in recorded history. So you have a veritable flood of music of all genres. When you have that much content, sure you can find a good artist in even the most obscure genre you can think of. But really it's like mining, you sift through a ton of dirt to get a gram of goodness.
A very good point. The average quality is way down to the point you can't call it music but more than ever there is something for everyone.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

There's just so much music out there these days, and it's so accessible, that I can't see spending any time worrying about stuff I don't like. Right now, I'm quite interested in Greta Morgan (Salpeter) in her various incarnations, Hush Sound, Gold Motel, Springtime Carnivore. Listening to lots of that. Eventually I'll get satisfied with that and move on to something else.

For better or for worse, streaming services are a great way to gain exposure to "new to you" artists.

Earl
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

BTW Petro, your suggestion of Case/Lang/Veirs was spot on. I liked that quite a bit.

Earl
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

PandaBear wrote:

I disagree.

Because of the internet and streaming services, it is easier to find music that you like today than it was pre-streaming.

Each Monday on Spotify, I get a playlist based on my taste. It can have old and new music in it. (This month, i discovered Nona Simone this way.)

On Friday, I get another Spotify list called "Release Radar". It has new music based on my taste. (This month, I found a new band _ Devil Makes 3".)

Spotify also alerts me when artists I "follow" release a new album.

Also, I can log onto forums like this, get recommendations and download 20 albums at no cost. i shuffle them and find 3 or 4 good ones. (Out of this thread, I have found two "keeper" bands so far -- Teenage Fanclub and "The Frightners.")

So sifting is not difficult, In fact, I find it the funnest part of music listening these days.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:BTW Petro, your suggestion of Case/Lang/Veirs was spot on. I liked that quite a bit.

Earl
Glad you like it Earl!
Last edited by Petrocelli on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Millennial wrote:I think it's way early for this thread! But I'll play along. Some greats mentioned above. Here are a few I'd add:

And can I add Pusha T's Darkest Before the Dawn:
The Pusha T Album is fantastic. Highly recommended for rap fans.
camper

Post by camper »

Chevelle- The North Corridor
Bear Hands- You'll Pay for This
Kongos- Egomaniac
Rival Sons- Hollow Bones
Local Natives- Sunlit Youth
The Moth & The Flame- Young & Unafraid
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Robert Earl Kean, Songs from Live Dinner Reunion. Spotify only has a single from the EP. A free download is available at Noisetrade

http://noisetrade.com/robertearlkeen/so ... %20Reunion
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

camper wrote: Local Natives- Sunlit Youth
One of my favorites!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

"A Little Something More From" Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats. Just out this past week. I'm just re-listening to it now.

Not as good as their 2015 eponymous album which had both SOB and I Need Never Get Old. I hear SOB often; too bad its been used in a Lipton Tea commercial (without the words) and in a Beats Pill+ commercial. A great song, but I sort of feel bad its gone commercial.