Luxury Cars - Am I missing out on creature comforts by not driving one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sawhorse

Re: Luxury Cars - Am I missing out on creature comforts by not driving one?

Post by sawhorse »

I can only remember two times in my life I have ridden in a luxury brand car, let alone drove one. I'm curious sometimes too.

I agree with renting one for a week.

Also, as some have mentioned, the highest package non-luxury cars aren't that different from lower package luxury brand cars, and the price difference isn't that huge either.

One of the most comfortable rides I've ever experienced was in a Toyota Avalon. This was many years ago, so I don't know what they're like now.

For people with cars with a lot of features, don't you find them confusing? I've been in rentals with the latest features, and I get overwhelmed by the complexity and having so many buttons.
dbr

Post by dbr »

sawhorse wrote:I can only remember two times in my life I have ridden in a luxury brand car, let alone drove one. I'm curious sometimes too.

I agree with renting one for a week.

Also, as some have mentioned, the highest package non-luxury cars aren't that different from lower package luxury brand cars, and the price difference isn't that huge either.

One of the most comfortable rides I've ever experienced was in a Toyota Avalon. This was many years ago, so I don't know what they're like now.

You can't see out and it is a very pedestrian car.

For people with cars with a lot of features, don't you find them confusing? I've been in rentals with the latest features, and I get overwhelmed by the complexity and having so many buttons.
apokryphon

Post by apokryphon »

I used to drive modestly priced Volkswagens then decided I ought to buy a used Mercedes. I sold the car after several years and didn't consider my experience worth the added cost of the luxury vehicle, specifically because service seems to cost much more. I recently bought a used 2013 Chevrolet Volt for 10.5k. I plug it into a 120v outlet in the garage and fueling costs for the entire month are not more than $40; excellent deal!
ram

Post by ram »

I am somebody who used a motorcycle in college. Later when I moved to a very basic car the 'luxury' of avoiding the rain, wind, cold and sun was the most substantial change till date that I have noted while changing vehicles.
Later I went through accords, camrys, honda odysseys and avalons and I currently drive a lexus LS 460. Each is better in comfort than the preceding one. ( accords and camrys essentially similar).
Over the last 25 years the the luxury vehicles have remained as luxurious as before (compared to their corresponding basic vehicles), my back has become 25 years older and my income has gone up.

Today the comforts of the lexus are something that I enjoy and am willing to pay for. It is especially quiet and comfortable over a long drive. YMMV.
Ram
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

KyleAAA wrote:
I was right there with you until you mentioned "Volvo" and "look far better" in the same sentence! Agree most Hondas and Toyotas are ugly as sin but there are some attractive Japanese models out there, mostly from Mazda and Lexus.

The old Volvo look rather boxy - the new XC90 is a breath of fresh air! :beer

Toyota/Lexus:
(Does not appeal to me in the least)

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Damn those are ugly cars! The Volvo looks like a cross between a Moskvich station wagon and a hearse - similar to the first edition of the BMW small SUV back in the day. The front of the Lexus looks like a socialite's lunch bag that can double as a bib. And the Toyota looks like they laid the floor mats on the hood to clean and drove off without putting them back.

The Volvo and Toyota at least don't appear to be annoying to drive. I hate the trend, of which Lexus seems particularly fond, of a super small back window. I can see absolutely no benefit to it.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

I think maybe one or two posts hit the nail on the head. Paying for luxury? Of course not. Paying for performance? That's a world of difference and definitely worth trying. If you drive your Toyota consistently under the speed limit at all times and under all conditions (and find yourself the repeated object of road-rage), please stop reading now. For everyone else, once you drive a car that's flat in the curves with tight, well-weighted steering, and strong acceleration, and great linear brakes, all other cars (especially expensive luxury ones) will feel like unsafe toys. Every rental car to me feels like the steering is broken -- disconnected from the wheels. Those mass-market cars are designed to accommodate inattention and carelessness without careening off the road. FIL -- a car guy -- taught me to NEVER test-drive a car I wasn't prepared to buy. Now I know why. It's hard to go back.

Also, in terms of cars costing a half-a-house, etc: no one actually pays that (well, somebody must, initially). Don't be the guy who buys it new; wait 2-3 years and buy it with 20K mi at half-price with a few years left on the warranty. You will get your AMG for less than the neighbor's new Toyota Land Cruiser. It may look like you have an $80-$120K car but you'll have spent much closer to the neighborhood average.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
sambb

Post by sambb »

to the OP - yes luxury cars are worth the money to me
Dont care that they are less reliable
I have had all sorts of nice cars - porsche bmw etc
also have had accords and camrys

Comes down to this - is dinner out with friends at a nice restaurant worth the money? You can eat ramen noodle at home in a small apartment and still have friends over. Or you can go to a nice restaurant and order a nice bottle of wine? Some derive pleasure from it, some dont

There are people here who derive no pleasure from a nice luxury car. There are others that do. So it is an individual choice.

I dont want to drive a 10 year old camry with >150000 miles. Some here take pride in driving the same old camry. I dont. It gives me more pleasure to drive a newer car with nicer features.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Personally I want to love every car I own. I loved the four Mazda Miatas I owned over a 15 year period, and now I love my standard transmission BMW 128-i, the cheapest BMW they make, which I bought used. You can drive something reasonably priced and still love it.
larklea

Post by larklea »

It's all a matter of personal choice. We each (likely) spend money on things we enjoy that others may find foolish. We're thinking of something more upscale in our next SUV, primarily due seat comfort and arthritis. I find most cars these days to be SO much better than those I drove when I was 'starting out'. The '68 Nova with an 8 track tape player. The '80 Chevy LUV P/U without AC.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

katnok wrote:First off, I have never driven a luxury car, hence this post.

Currently, we drive a 2007 Accord and 2011 Odyssey. There are no issues with them. I/we believe we can afford a luxury vehicle (such as Acura/Lexus), but I'm not willing to buy one unless they offer so much more than what our current cars do.

So, those who upgraded to luxury cars, do you feel they are worth the extra money?

Thank you.
You are missing out.
If you can afford one, but one.
I had a german car couple of years ago. The maintenance problems finally did it in for us, and we sold it off after 6 years of ownership.
We still miss that car -- its handling, road hugging was really incomparable to anything else we have driven. Its just an awesome car to drive, a pleasure.

This recommendation with the caveat of course that you will expect to pay more for maintenance for luxury cars. More so if you went with German/European brands.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

A relative bought a brand new luxury car every 2-3 years (cash) and resold his outgoing one to a family member for a "good deal"

I remember feeling car nauseaus due to the "floating" feeling of the suspension, which doesn't happen to me in any other vehicle. Think of sitting on a moving water bed. So yes, there's a difference to the feel riding in one.
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

I consider myself a car person, typically I buy between 3 to 4 new car per year.

To answer your question of if you're missing out on create comforts by not driving one? I would say yes, but to a declined extent. There is really no such thing as a bad car these days and you can get a lot of the creature comforts in a lower priced, but still high quality vehicle (e.g. Kia, Hyundai etc) that have very long warranties for a buy and hold car.

I will no longer buy luxury cars in the $80k to $100k price range as I just don't find them bringing me any incremental driving/ownership pleasure above significantly cheaper cars. When our current cars in this price range are off lease, we'll be swapping them for things like the new RAV4 Hybrid or Mazda CX5. Though the BMW Plug-in 3 series looks interesting, given we already have a charging station at home.

Now my sports cars in the bring me a lot of joy (though they cost 2-3x more) and sometimes I even sell them for a profit. I would much rather spend less or something that is being purchase for practical reasons and have more for things that I enjoy.
trsk

Post by trsk »

High value luxury car!

Really glad to have driven my last luxury car for 25 years. Current M-Benz is 9 years old, quiet,comfortable and economical: 29 mpg overall (39 on the freeway). 124,000 miles now. Looks and drives like new. One repair - affordable upkeep at local service providers.

Here's the KEY: buy a diesel. Change the engine oil every 5,000 miles. The 1983 car is still being driven. We upgraded finally to get better seat adjustments. Current car is 2008 E320 blue tech (diesel). Passengers still asking when I got my "new" car.
Upfront capital cost spread over 25 years works out to affordable luxury. Last car sold for $3500 because of continuing value.
Consider a used diesel Mercedes if you want the luxury without the upfront cost.

Good luck!
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

You get what you pay for.

I believe at some point you hit diminishing returns. Do you really need self closing vents in the VW Phaeton?

https://youtu.be/yJkpjVa0Zno?t=13s
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

What's a luxury car? A sports car? A big comfortable sedan? A huge SUV?
Today's mid-range cars have more features and comfort and are safer than a 5 year old "luxury" car. You can also get great performance: Does anyone really want to go from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds?
"Push button start, nav system, backup cameras, nice interiors, bluetooth integration, HID lights, heated seats, etc."? These and more are all standard or available on any decent 2017 sedan.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

trsk wrote:High value luxury car!

Really glad to have driven my last luxury car for 25 years. Current M-Benz is 9 years old, quiet,comfortable and economical: 29 mpg overall (39 on the freeway). 124,000 miles now. Looks and drives like new. One repair - affordable upkeep at local service providers.

Here's the KEY: buy a diesel. Change the engine oil every 5,000 miles. The 1983 car is still being driven. We upgraded finally to get better seat adjustments. Current car is 2008 E320 blue tech (diesel). Passengers still asking when I got my "new" car.
Upfront capital cost spread over 25 years works out to affordable luxury. Last car sold for $3500 because of continuing value.
Consider a used diesel Mercedes if you want the luxury without the upfront cost.

Good luck!
A Diesel is probably the one vehicle I will not buy. Why? Because the California-led air pollution standards in the USA are choking the diesel engine to the point where all the emissions crap becomes the weak link. Hang out on any truck forum to see what I mean.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

sunny_socal wrote: A Diesel is probably the one vehicle I will not buy. Why? Because the California-led air pollution standards in the USA are choking the diesel engine to the point where all the emissions crap becomes the weak link. Hang out on any truck forum to see what I mean.
+ 1. Couldn't agree more. Amazing performance; terrible reliability.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

chrisdds98 wrote:Did you ever see the lexus commercial with the rain sensing wipers? you can save a half second every time it rains! lol.
One of my colleagues told me about driving his grandmother's car that had rain-sensing wipers...which had drawbacks when a bird took aim on their windshield. :annoyed

The OP started by saying he/she had never driven a luxury car, but I'm not sure if he/she had been in one. If you have ridden in one and thought, "wow--this is so much better than my current vehicle", it might be worth it. If you've never been in one at all, maybe it's worth taking a test drive. You might say "Yeah, this is nice, but it's not worth the extra initial and ongoing costs". I've been in luxury cars only a few times (probably fewer than ten), and those experiences left me with zero desire to own one myself.
aquifer

Post by aquifer »

I have a little different perspective, for whatever it's worth. I have always preferred to own cars that are a little less common. Most cars these days look alike in my opinion. Since high school, I'd always wanted a black Jaguar but could never afford one. I enjoy working on cars, so in 2015 I bought a 1998 Jaguar XJR with 150k miles for $3,500 and spent months refurbishing it myself. I had it repainted, and I redid the interior myself along with a number of mechanical fixes.

By today's standards, this isn't even a luxury car as far as options go, but man is it NICE! With a 400 hp factory engine, it is a dream to drive. The body style is the last of what I consider the traditional Jaguar look, which to me is the coolest style ever made. It fits right in at high dollar resorts and restaurants. Nobody can tell that I only gave $3,500 for it.

I agree with other replies that your car preference is a highly personal choice. I enjoy working on and fixing up cars as a hobby, and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I totally get that not everyone likes older cars, but my Jag is unique and I have a lot of fun with it. It LOOKS like a classic high end luxury car.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Here's some of my favorite features on my ultra-luxury sedan:

- Twin turbo V-8 is fun as heck.
- Sun Shades shield me from prying eyes.
- Door lock senses the key so I don't need to push the remote.
- Interior LED lighting looks cool at night.
- Air conditioned seats.
- Dual sun roofs.
- Seat massager.
- Cruise control goes up/down in 5 mph intervals.
- Foot rests in the rear seats.
pascal

Post by pascal »

I am curious about the creature comforts.

If an everyday commute is about 30 minutes each way - do you optimize the 1 hr in such a way that we have the maximum comfort - massages, heated backsides and what not?
How do you spend the remaining 15 hours - do you have similar comfort?
"Never underestimate the ability of a bad situation to get worse...rapidly." Ninegrams
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

For me, the "luxury" of driving a nice car has worn off. I currently have a 2013 Audi and it will be my last luxury car. Thinking about selling it soon. I am perfectly happy driving my 2013 F-150. It is not as luxurious, but way more useful. I custom ordered my Audi and got every option I wanted, but was rear ended by some punk that was texting about a year after I got the car. When that happened, I decided it would be my last nice car. It is just too hard to keep them nice when you have people that just don't care about other people's stuff!
TRC

Post by TRC »

sambb wrote: Comes down to this - is dinner out with friends at a nice restaurant worth the money? You can eat ramen noodle at home in a small apartment and still have friends over. Or you can go to a nice restaurant and order a nice bottle of wine? Some derive pleasure from it, some dont

There are people here who derive no pleasure from a nice luxury car. There are others that do. So it is an individual choice.

I dont want to drive a 10 year old camry with >150000 miles. Some here take pride in driving the same old camry. I dont. It gives me more pleasure to drive a newer car with nicer features.
Well said! Fwiw, I have an Acura TL SH AWD. I find it to be the perfect blend of luxury, performance, reliability and price.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

In my opinion it is a personal choice and everyone is different.There are some perfectly fit and healthy people who just have to fly first class because they cannot imagine suffering an economy seat for 7 hours.Not me.
I recently sold my 2007 Prius and bought a 2015.The difference was my new one has keyless entry,a much better Bluetooth connection for my phone and a backup camera.Those 3 upgrades were all standard.So my new Prius is not anything like a luxury car,but those are creature comforts to me.The car cost a little over 18,000 brand new and has very comfortable seats to me,and I have some back problems.Would I spend an extra 20 or 30,000 for a more luxurious interior or better handling car?No.My wife drives a BMW and loves the status even though she will never admit it :D
A lot of people would consider the Prius a low level,bad performing car,and would buy a Lexus or whatever.A car choice is very personal.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

OP here.

After reading all the replies, I have decided to go ahead and test drive one (Probably Acura) sometime next year. Neither I nor my wife care for the "status" aspect of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to see if they offered additional comforts and driving pleasure (apart from better safety features, if any).

Thank you all for the suggestions/perspectives. Truly appreciated.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

katnok wrote: Neither I nor my wife care for the "status" aspect of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to see if they offered additional comforts and driving pleasure (apart from better safety features, if any).
I actually find it kind of embarasing to have a luxury brand car sometimes. I never drive my Audi to job interviews because I feel like some people make assumptions about other people based on what they drive. I am a CPA and I was just at a client's office last week when one of their employees came in and said "someone must be making all of the money" then pointed out to everyone else that I had my Audi parked outside.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

The key is to not ever get a car with heated and cooled seats. Once you get used to warm seats in the winter and cool seats in the summer it is tough to consider going back to a vehicle without this capability for a daily driver. The only other item I would really miss is the smart key capability on my car - it recognizes me when I walk up, if its dark outside it lights up the interior when I'm 3 feet away and it unlocks my door, and as I open the door and before I sit down it auto adjusts driver's seat and steering wheel tilt and reach to my specs (it also recognizes my wife's key fob if she opens the drivers side and adjusts accordingly), and then starts up when I hit the starter switch - all with the key in my pocket. When we rent regular cars I have to remember they aren't very smart : )
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

pascal wrote:I am curious about the creature comforts.

How do you spend the remaining 15 hours - do you have similar comfort?
Yes. We built our dream house for maximum effect, and we still save +30% of gross income.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

katnok wrote:OP here.

After reading all the replies, I have decided to go ahead and test drive one (Probably Acura) sometime next year. Neither I nor my wife care for the "status" aspect of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to see if they offered additional comforts and driving pleasure (apart from better safety features, if any).

Thank you all for the suggestions/perspectives. Truly appreciated.
I would never consider an Acura a luxury car. Some of their concept cars are uber luxury, but stock Acura's are just Honda's with some nicer features. No offense.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Lindrobe wrote:
katnok wrote: Neither I nor my wife care for the "status" aspect of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to see if they offered additional comforts and driving pleasure (apart from better safety features, if any).
I actually find it kind of embarasing to have a luxury brand car sometimes. I never drive my Audi to job interviews because I feel like some people make assumptions about other people based on what they drive.
Same here. My son's on a travel baseball team with players from some rural areas and it's sometimes uncomfortable pulling up to practice in a car that cost more than their houses. But this is America, so I've always said if you only have yourself to blame if you're not making a lot of money.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

You don't need to buy a luxury brand to get a pretty luxurious car. I rented a Toyota Avalon and was blown away at how nice the ride and interior were.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Flashes1 wrote:Same here. My son's on a travel baseball team with players from some rural areas and it's sometimes uncomfortable pulling up to practice in a car that cost more than their houses. But this is America, so I've always said if you only have yourself to blame if you're not making a lot of money.
Hopefully you don't actually say that out loud, or it would be more than a little uncomfortable :D

I tend to think the opposite - why the heck would someone spend more money on a car than they could buy a house for? But I do come from an area and family where nobody has had a house worth more than $100k or so.

In my parking garage, the cars next to mine are usually worth 3 to 4 times as much. Even though I could afford a fancier car and house now, I've lived with basic stuff long enough to know that the basics are all I need. Well, the basics, and fast internet. :happy
Last edited by zaboomafoozarg on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarXM

Post by GuitarXM »

I have leased a luxury car and its not worth the money.
The comfort level does not change.

But only you can decide that so I would recommend renting one or taking a very short lease and see what its all about.
At the end of the day you will see that a car is still a car that has 4 wheels and can't defy physics.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

I've never spent more than $4000 on a car (although it was a quite comfortable Toyota Avalon with heated seats etc.), but in the scheme of things, spending a bit more on a car is not so bad - it's something you'll use every day for many years. What I'd never be able to stomach is spending on ephemeral items like luxury hotels and upgraded flights.
J295

Post by J295 »

My experience for what it's worth .... Drove cars until they dropped, which means just a few Hondas and one Infiniti during our 34 years of marriage to date ... I'm 57 and mostly retired now and just this year bought a Lexus (GX460). It cost a bit more than our first home .... I love it and would do it again in a heartbeat .... we can afford it (paid cash like everything else we buy) ..... I have a low pleasure threshold, so I look forward to grocery shopping, running errands, long driving trips, etc. .... I'm not a "car person" but can say this was a great purchase .... oh, it helps keep me in good physical shape too because I park far far away from everyone in the parking lots to avoid dings.

Enjoy.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I drove a 2002 Acura for over 10 years before buying a brand new Subaru last year. I enjoyed the Acura at the time (I was in my late 20's when I bought it), but I don't need/have the feeling of driving a higher end car anymore. I certainly don't miss having to buy premium gas anymore.
msk

Post by msk »

Let's face it. You pay for branding. Just like ladies' handbags. Having said that, I do not feel that I am much of a gear head, apart from my teenage years like other boys, but over the past 50 years I have owned more or less the then current very top models of Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, sometimes because of absurdly good bargains that dropped on my lap. Imagine being offered a brand new BMW 850 at half price because the guy who won it in a lottery (Dubai Airport Duty Free) just wanted ready cash at a time of an oil price crash. Was the expense on the regular-priced other luxury cars worth it? As branding, of course. E.g. I owned an XJ12 Jaguar in England, the land of uppity snobs, and the neighborhood kids oohed and aahed every time they passed it on their way to school. For driving pleasure? Depends on how much these toys appeal to you. But kid you not, expensive cars carry high maintenance bills, especially if you keep them till they die. You demand a level of everything-working in a 12-year old Mercedes, BMW or whatever, and that costs. Check out the price of tyres for a high end Porsche... Jaguars exasperate you much earlier, so you do not keep one for a decade. Incredibly, my Mercedes 500SEC was totalled at 13 years old in a head-on collision by some idiot coming on the wrong side of the road with my wife driving. My Porsche 928S was totalled, also at 10+ years by my daughter hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal at a T-junction. She commented that had the car not surged forward so violently she would not have crashed into the passing car. My BMW was totalled while being serviced at the BMW workshop when the brand new car-lift, installed specifically for Rolls Royce vehicles (BMW now owns Rolls) collapsed sideways! My BMW was the first car on the lift! With advancing age, the thing I value most is reliability and it seems no brand is more reliable than Lexus and Toyota. A high spec Toyota Camry is pretty decent, but the nearest equivalent Lexus, my wife's current 350SE is just that little bit of a nicer toy. The ladies never buy fancy handbags for utilitarian value. Men do not buy fancy cars for that reason either. But while tempted to buy a Rolls for the leather caress feeling, my family are against it because Rolls Royce are too much of a showing off, but I can't take my hard earned life savings with me. At a certain stage in life, passions are reduced and perhaps even the slightest interest in caressing Rolls Royce leather ought to be indulged in. Perhaps Makes sense? Of course not!
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

If you are the type to think of cars as transportation appliances and only need them to get you from point A to point B, then there's absolutely no need for you to buy a higher end car.

We all want different things from our cars though, which is the reason that there are so many choices out there. For some people, plush, quiet and serene ride is luxurious, while others don't want to own a "sofa on wheels" and would rather drive something sportier with precise handling and steering. A lot of people in this thread seem to equate "luxury" with "lots of features," which for many luxury car buyers is actually not a big consideration. In fact, if it was just about the features rather than about the build and ride quality, the luxury car market would be way smaller than it actually is.

This is all highly subjective, so I wouldn't worry so much about other people's preferences and buy something that fits your needs and wants.
marquette

Post by marquette »

Just moved over from the non-luxury side 3 months ago after 20+ years of 'regular' cars. I have a 2016 x5 now, mostly because my business partners upgraded (business expense/lease) and I wouldn't get anything in return if I didn't upgrade. It's a nice, beautiful car, feels and sounds powerful. However I just wouldn't be able to justify it with after-tax dollars (my own money). Outside of the driving feel which I can tell is better than your average ford, there really is nothing that makes it better than any top-line non-luxury model.

- Tech is nice, but is already outdated and sub-par to other items available. I still will use google maps on my phone to figure out best route when I know traffic will be an issue. The navigation has traffic, but it doesn't update like the phone app does. Nothing else tech wise isn't available in non-luxury models. Their companion phone apps are worthless for the most part.
- Seats are rather uncomfortable/stiff/narrow for longer drives. Much prefer my old Ford seats and my other vehicle's seats.
- The driving is super-responsive which actually takes a couple months to get used to. It really annoyed me at first since it wasn't as simple to just go straight (I do a lot of highway driving). For some people this is a plus.
- I get a little anxiety parking it on the street in semi-less than desirable spots, which is where all the restaurants/night-life around me is at. I'm not in the Chicago gold-coast or other affluent areas where there are 100 vehicles in a square mile with similar values or more. Around me, there are probably 5 of these level of vehicles in a square-mile so it sort of "sticks out". I'm the sort of person that doesn't feel comfortable sticking out so much with my purchases.
- Requires mid level gas at least

Basically, I'd say if you are a driving enthusiast it might be good for you to try out at least. Don't buy it for tech or any creature comforts.
techthedj

Post by techthedj »

marquette wrote:Don't buy it for tech or any creature comforts.
I wonder if this holds true for Teslas. A lot of "non-car" people gravitate to this car for the tech alone.
marquette

Post by marquette »

Yes, they may be the exception as they seem to be more of a tech company first. Many reviews complain about their comfort, finish, and handling at this point though. Looked at, but never got serious as it was out of the range I was looking at. Their leasing options are limited too.

It will be really interesting to see how the car companies compete going forward with tech. They just can't keep up, adoption of a couple tech centered standards seems inevitable (Apple, Google), however they all think they can do it on their own.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have driven several luxury cars that my spouse owned extensively. Mostly Audi and Lexus, including an Audi A8L. I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5. There is little I miss. I have the top trim and it has most of the things the luxury cars have. I could not justify spending another $15k (which is 50%!) to purchase an Acura or Lexus or whatever. That doesn't include the maintenance and gas (premium) costs.

Things that you will be missing:
-Prestige, if that is your thing
-Quietness, though cheaper cars have gotten much better than they used to be
-Handing, but that is subjective as people like different feels.
-Higher end options like auto open liftgate, memory seats, electric control of passenger seat, electronic sunshades, adaptive cruise control, etc. Some more basic cars in higher trims might have some of these.