Luxury Cars - Am I missing out on creature comforts by not driving one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

Luxury Cars - Am I missing out on creature comforts by not driving one?

Post by katnok »

First off, I have never driven a luxury car, hence this post.

Currently, we drive a 2007 Accord and 2011 Odyssey. There are no issues with them. I/we believe we can afford a luxury vehicle (such as Acura/Lexus), but I'm not willing to buy one unless they offer so much more than what our current cars do.

So, those who upgraded to luxury cars, do you feel they are worth the extra money?

Thank you.
randomguy

Re: Luxury Cars - Am I missing out on creature comforts by not driving one?

Post by randomguy »

Yes you are missing out. Up to you to decide if paying the extra money is worth it or not. Go take a test drive and decide if queiter, smoother riding car is worth the extra ~1-2k/yr to you. Obviously a lot depends on what money means to you. For a person spending 20k/yr, 2k is a big deal. For a person spending 200k, it isn't.
rob

Post by rob »

I'll pick the other side..... If you not missing it now why spend more $$ on something your not missing. You might be one of the lucky ones that treats cars as utilities - trust me when I say your probably better off (I say it as a car guy... although not the luxury stuff). Spend the $$ where you see value.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I have owned few BMW's, but now drive an older more basic car. For me, yes, I absolutely miss some of the nicer features on the higher end cars. Push button start, nav system, backup cameras, nice interiors, bluetooth integration, HID lights, heated seats, etc. However, at the end of the day, I decided that I value the freedom money will buy over "stuff" which includes nice cars.

Am very content with the basic older car I have now. It gets me from point a to b, just as any other car would. I also save money on maintenance which was more expensive in the BMW, even with an independent shop ($700 brakes per axle to only $250 now, $100 oil change to $16.99 now, etc).

I still think about buying another BMW, actually looked at 2009 M3 the other day, but just couldn't justify the higher cost. I do miss the nicer cars, but then I think about how much money I am saving and quickly move on :)

Another bonus is that I have saved a ton of time with the older car. When I had the BMW's, I was constantly cleaning them and treating them like a child, parking far away, etc. Honestly, it was a pain. Now, in the older car, I don't care where I park and use it like a pickup truck. If it gets a door ding, oh well. I just make sure to keep up on the maintenance.
Last edited by runner3081 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

The highest trim level of the Accord is probably pretty nice and may come close to Accura/ Lexus/ whatever.

You need to sit in and drive both to help decide. Keep in mind that cars have changed in 9 years so even a similar-trim Accord will seem nicer.

BUT. I don't buy stuff because I can afford it. I buy it because I want it and can afford it and believe it is good value for money.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Many features that might be called "luxury" are available in various trim levels on cars that are not luxury cars. It would be good to test drive and check out what you get in a "luxury" car to learn what items actually appeal.

Backup cameras, by the way, will be required safety equipment on all cars effective May, 2018.

Things like keyless ignition, heated seats in different varieties, adjustability of seats, infotainment systems, etc. are common to all makes of cars at different levels. The implementation in some luxury makes may be flat-out awful compared to better implementation in more ordinary vehicles.

A different issue is whether luxury means buying a smoother riding, better sound insulated car or a better handling, higher performing car or an attempt to obtain both. It is also true that some so called "luxury" makes are maintenance nightmares and it may mean high reliability and low maintenance costs are the true "luxury."
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

You're missing out, yes. What you're missing out on depends on what you value. I like an athletic car so a "smooth" ride is exactly the opposite of what I want. But heated leather seats are really nice in the winter. Luckily you can get a lot of those luxury features on the top trim of regular brands like Mazda and Honda these days. For example, a top-trim Accord is practically as nice as a low-trim TLX and my upper-trim Mazda is actually significantly nicer than my wife's older BMW. $30-40k seems to be the sweet spot for sedans these days: it won't compare to an $80k Mercedes in terms of luxury but it will blow away 99% of the mass-produced stuff you're used to driving.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

katnok wrote:First off, I have never driven a luxury car, hence this post.

Currently, we drive a 2007 Accord and 2011 Odyssey. There are no issues with them. I/we believe we can afford a luxury vehicle (such as Acura/Lexus), but I'm not willing to buy one unless they offer so much more than what our current cars do.

So, those who upgraded to luxury cars, do you feel they are worth the extra money?

Thank you.
katnok,

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and a 2014 Nissan Altima. There is substantial difference in term of safety features between them. IMHO, you may not upgrade your car in term of luxury but there is substantial advance in term of safety features that you may like.

KlangFool
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Thank you.

1. No, I'm not contemplating buying a luxury car just because I can afford one, but I have had the "itch" for a while :D, so will pull the plug only if it adds value.

2. I have thought about test driving, but I'm not sure if it gives a good idea about what its like to drive longer distances than whats typically allowed with test drives

3. As far as what matters in luxury cars, I value things such as safety, driving comfort, rearview cameras (I know some of these are available even on some basic cars) etc, but not as much about LED lights, push button, NAV system etc.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

katnok wrote:Thank you.

1. No, I'm not contemplating buying a luxury car just because I can afford one, but I have had the "itch" for a while :D, so will pull the plug only if it adds value.

2. I have thought about test driving, but I'm not sure if it gives a good idea about what its like to drive longer distances than whats typically allowed with test drives

3. As far as what matters in luxury cars, I value things such as safety, driving comfort, rearview cameras (I know some of these are available even on some basic cars) etc, but not as much about LED lights, push button, NAV system etc.
katnok,

IMHO, you should test drive the latest Honda Accord and Odyssey. On the other hand, I do not thank you will get much more benefits than Accord and Odyssey as compared to those luxury cars.

KlangFool
Bendee

Post by Bendee »

You definitely don't need to go new for most creature comforts, for example a 2014 Elantra can come with heated front and rear leather seats, touch screen display, auto climate control, etc.

Dbr is correct that while luxury cars usually get the newest features first, the downside is you get features that may actively stink or just haven't been fully fleshed out. The one that sticks out in my mind is the 'code' in my Dad's 1995 BMW 5 series. An optional 4 digit pin that, once set up, was required to start the car. He didn't set it up. Me as an 11 year old kid accidentally set it up for him and forgot the code. That was a really fun time for him. :wink:
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Thank you.
Personally, I do not. I shopped both Acura and Lexus but did not purchase exactly for that reason. Many items that should be standard equipment for a luxury vehicle like Acura or Lexus require higher trim packages that push their prices up over $50,000.
In our case, all we wanted was blind spot monitoring and leather seats. But BSM required the Technology Package and leather seats required the Premium Package. That pushed the cost of both the RX350 and MDX to over $50,000.
Who needs NAV with smartphones and tablets that also have apps like Waze?
Worse, infotainment systems have become the No. 1 reason for complaints about new vehicles, according to J.D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports.
https://www.cars.com/articles/common-pr ... 680334845/
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rob wrote:I'll pick the other side..... If you not missing it now why spend more $$ on something your not missing. You might be one of the lucky ones that treats cars as utilities - trust me when I say your probably better off (I say it as a car guy... although not the luxury stuff). Spend the $$ where you see value.
This. Like the OP, I have never personally owned one, but I have spent my fair share of time in very high end vehicles. I'm a gearhead, I love cars and even more so motorcycles. My best friend has a Ferrari 430, a supercharged Range Rover, and recently picked up a model S Tesla, which I have yet to take a ride in. My brother's E63 AMG is nice. Are they worth literally 10x the upfront cost (and maintenance, gas, insurance) of our Hyundai? The cost of upgrading is absolutely insane to me and we we make enough (more than my brother who has driven a series of AMGs) to realistically drive almost whatever we want. I just would not be able to get over the fact that the thing which I putter around town in or sit in freeway traffic in costs more than half of my home, or that I could take my entire family on a dream vacation 10x for the cost of a car I'll likely want to trade for something new in 2yrs. I don't judge others for driving nice vehicles, I definitely understand the appeal, but my logic overrides that appeal.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

adamthesmythe wrote:The highest trim level of the Accord is probably pretty nice and may come close to Accura/ Lexus/ whatever.

You need to sit in and drive both to help decide. Keep in mind that cars have changed in 9 years so even a similar-trim Accord will seem nicer.

BUT. I don't buy stuff because I can afford it. I buy it because I want it and can afford it and believe it is good value for money.
You should buy things because they make your life better (hand wave about the definition of better) not because they are a good value (unless you plan on flipping something getting something worth 100 dollars for 50 bucks isn't a good deal if it doesn't help you).

With most things in life, you get diminishing benefits in a hurry. A honda accord is already be a pretty high end car (i.e. you are paying something like 2x as much as a Spark that will also go from point A to B.) so the improvements get more and more incremental and not as noticeable. Do you car if you go from 0-6 is 6s instead of 7.5? That the leather is a notch softer? That you get 3DB less noise at 70mp? That you can take a corner at 65mph instead of 55? These are the types of questions that nobody but you can answer.

And obviously a lot depends on your defintions of luxury and the like. The TLX is a nice accord. Something like an e class (about 20k more) is another luxury level and things like 7 series/tesla/s class are another notch above that. Buying a TLX instead of an accord for a sport ride might not be worth it. Spending 20k more and getting a 340 might give you enough improvement to make it feel worthwhile to you.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I'm utilitarian in my vehicles but my wife is not. However, when we replaced her old vehicle, we found new 'low end' vehicles with higher end packages like push button start, leather, electronic gizmos, etc. to be very comparable to 'high end' vehicles. At that point you were just paying more for the name. Almost every input for the vehicle, parts, tires, etc. are also much cheaper than for the 'high end' vehicles. I don't think you are missing anything other than paying for the name badge on the car.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

The need for reliable, safe, and economic transportation is totally covered with a basic vehicle. Pay more and you are buying ego support.

I drive a Porsche because when I was 12 YO (50 years ago) I promised myself that "someday....". For many guys this is a very stupid, but very real reason for completely wasting a potful of money ($30k this year alone in depreciation). Also, there's the old joke about the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche.....

I can afford it. But if one can't, or even if one has to borrow money or take a lease, do not indulge. For a male, it's akin to crack.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
weighed

Post by weighed »

You are missing out on the smug feeling that you get when driving a $50,000 car. You can get a smug feeling by driving something that is unusually environmental, or unusually inexpensive, or just unusual looking. Do you have a high maintenance personality?

If you are thinking about buying a Cadillac, rent one for your next road trip. I don't own a convertible, but I rent one occasionally.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

Decades ago, driving luxury cars not owned by me, I felt there was a big difference. Today I'm not so sure. I have my own now and I feel like half of the price difference is getting a bit more car and the other half is the emblem on the car. A guy was telling me recently that he likes his Cadillac but his wife bought a new Honda, three years newer, that has more options than his car and rides almost as nicely.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you can't identify what you are missing out on, I'd say no.

Outside of power locks, power windows, and a decent looking interior, I can't think of what other comfort I would miss. Perhaps you're the same way.

JT
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I went from a Toyota Tundra to a BMW 3 series because my truck couldn't fit in the garage of the new house we bought.

It's hard to compare a big truck to a smaller sedan but I REALLY love driving my car, even though it's now 8 year old and is about to hit 100k miles. I miss the interior space and sitting up higher when I'm on the road but that's only because I went from a truck to a sedan. The BMW just "drives" so much better than the comparably sized Fords and Toyotas that I've driven. It handles so much better, I can maneuver through downtown traffic better, accelerate so much better, etc. That probably sounds kind of pompous but I really can feel a dramatic difference when I drive other cars. The interiors I've seen on newer standard cars are much better than what I have in my 8 yr old BMW and higher level trims are basically a wash with even brand new luxury cars IMO (although maybe I'm just not that picky).

I think some people who drive luxury cars lie to themselves (and others) when they say they don't car about brand names or "status". I admit it, I like driving around in something that has a BMW logo. I wish I didn't care but I do. That's something that is probably not super complimentary of my character but there's no use in lying to myself about it.
keystone

Post by keystone »

bottlecap wrote:If you can't identify what you are missing out on, I'd say no.
+1. I know someone who can easily afford a high end luxury car, but they often ask what's better about those cars than a Camry. My response is that if you have to ask, then you wouldn't appreciate it.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

bottlecap wrote:Outside of power locks, power windows, and a decent looking interior, I can't think of what other comfort I would miss. Perhaps you're the same way.
We drive mid- to upper-range equipped versions of standard models. Being a couple with very different body proportions, and sharing the car, we find the features that remember seat and mirror positions and radio settings very convenient. We have that an a 2005 Durango Limited we're getting rid of and I miss it very much every time I try to get into our 2016 Camry. The next vehicle definitely will have that and those option packages invariably include other conveniences. But I can't see paying a lot extra for a luxury car. As others have said, the upper trim lines of mass-market cars have many features that were introduced in luxury cars.
chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 »

Did you ever see the lexus commercial with the rain sensing wipers? you can save a half second every time it rains! lol. ok, things I like about my lexus ls: air conditioned/heated seats, rear view cam, smooth ride, brake hold (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgRvPodPCY). When I get a cheap rental I do miss some of these features but none of them are mandatory for me.
dbr

Post by dbr »

bigred77 wrote:I went from a Toyota Tundra to a BMW 3 series because my truck couldn't fit in the garage of the new house we bought.

It's hard to compare a big truck to a smaller sedan but I REALLY love driving my car, even though it's now 8 year old and is about to hit 100k miles. I miss the interior space and sitting up higher when I'm on the road but that's only because I went from a truck to a sedan. The BMW just "drives" so much better than the comparably sized Fords and Toyotas that I've driven. It handles so much better, I can maneuver through downtown traffic better, accelerate so much better, etc. That probably sounds kind of pompous but I really can feel a dramatic difference when I drive other cars. The interiors I've seen on newer standard cars are much better than what I have in my 8 yr old BMW and higher level trims are basically a wash with even brand new luxury cars IMO (although maybe I'm just not that picky).

I think some people who drive luxury cars lie to themselves (and others) when they say they don't car about brand names or "status". I admit it, I like driving around in something that has a BMW logo. I wish I didn't care but I do. That's something that is probably not super complimentary of my character but there's no use in lying to myself about it.
I would think luxury and performance are two different things. But sometimes manufacturers try for both. Trucks are not immune to that either.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Just test drive the cars you have an eye on.

You might drive a Bentley, to pick an absurdly expensive example, and love the furniture quality wood trim, Breitling clock in the dash, fantastic sound system, wonderful leather, lovely interior styling and the overall way the car just embraces you.

Or you might feel like it's a pretentious, garish wealth display/depreciation pump you'd be embarrassed to drive.

I recently watched a show "Unreal," which features a McLaren sportscar. The characters ridiculed the McLaren. Interesting.

It's such a personal decision.

I love luxury cars, but find that they are best enjoyed if you just admit to yourself that it's not really about value. My parents have an Avalon and love it; it's a great car.
Watty

Post by Watty »

katnok wrote:.. do you feel they are worth the extra money?
It is all about what the "opportunity cost" choice is for the upgrade. What would you spend the money on if you don't buy the luxury car?

For example if the higher end car is $10,000 more that money could be used instead for something like a vacation so you would have to give up one if the other was more desirable for you. Assuming that you can really afford to spend the $10,000 on something there is not a right or wrong answer.

For me a big tradeoff was saving up enough to be able to retire early. The numbers are pretty rough but for me I figure that my core retirement budget is about $200 a day so for every extra $200 I could save I could retire a day earlier. Some things like travel were worth working a bit longer to me some, other things were not.
Last edited by Watty on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Luxury car or not, I find the safety features of near self-driving autos of great comfort as I'm aging. Doubt I buy again w/o blind spot assist, rear back camera, lane correction/drift warning, auto slow down/stop when approaching object.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

Cyclesafe wrote:The need for reliable, safe, and economic transportation is totally covered with a basic vehicle. Pay more and you are buying ego support.

I drive a Porsche because when I was 12 YO (50 years ago) I promised myself that "someday....". For many guys this is a very stupid, but very real reason for completely wasting a potful of money ($30k this year alone in depreciation). Also, there's the old joke about the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche.....

I can afford it. But if one can't, or even if one has to borrow money or take a lease, do not indulge. For a male, it's akin to crack.
A Porsche is a good week end car, I have a 911S that I've owned for 10 years. I put on 3k miles a year and never had a problem with it, Maintenance can be costly if it's an everyday car.
Owning one is a matter of values and is it practical based on your economic situation.
Porsche 911 also have a good rate of return as far as depreciation is concerned. They are fun to drive and when you show up in one your definitely making a statement that you are not a loser. Although if you spend 50% of your networth on one that statement might be to the contrary.
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Even thought I can afford it, I have no desire to spend that kind of $$ on a depreciating asset. I guess I don't commute any more so driving around town doesn't require mega-luxury for me. I enjoy parking wherever I want. I kinda view high end luxury cars repulsive in a way.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

spammagnet wrote:
bottlecap wrote:Outside of power locks, power windows, and a decent looking interior, I can't think of what other comfort I would miss. Perhaps you're the same way.
Being a couple with very different body proportions, and sharing the car, we find the features that remember seat and mirror positions and radio settings very convenient.
If you have power seats, I'd agree that the seat memory is nice. However, my wife's vehicle has it, and I still have to adjust the pedals, which are power, but don't have memory.

As a result, I much prefer my vehicle, where you just reach under the seat and adjust it in about a second!

JT
SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA »

You will notice a big comfort upgrade going from an accord to say a Lexus. The leather is softer, the ride is quieter and smoother, all the soft touch interior, etc. Worth it? That's subjective. I drive a basic truck, my wife drives a loaded Camry. Sure it's nice when we drive my parents lexus every now and then, but not worth the price differential IMO. Others may think differently.
jainn

Post by jainn »

. . . .
Last edited by jainn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
joebh

Post by joebh »

katnok wrote:I'm not willing to buy one unless they offer so much more than what our current cars do.
Why don't you just rent one for a week or so and find out for yourself?
Car preference is such an individual thing, you won't get an answer that suits you by polling the internet.
opus360

Post by opus360 »

OP, why not rent a good luxury car for a week or so? Then decide for yourself if those attributes matter to you.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Everybody spends their money to maximize their own personal sense of utility. Some people like luxury cars, some people like performance cars, some people are status conscious, many people simply want transportation from point A to point B at the least cost.

Having said that, I really like driving. I'm an old guy (66) so although I like performance cars, driving around in a Turbo Porsche or Ferrari just seems a little much. So I drive BMW M cars. Have an M5 and an M6 cab. Luxury, and performance along with pretty good practicality ( at least with the M5). Everybody's different. Do what appeals to you.
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

Thank you.
My personal opinion is that if you are satisfied with your current cars, that is your answer. Otherwise you are deliberately exposing yourself to unnecessary lifestyle inflation.

Luxury cars are absolutely "better" in that they have much nicer features. But are they a good value for those features? Only you can answer that for yourself. If you have extra money you want to spend, is a luxury car at the top of that list? Or are there other things that you think would be a better use for it?

I will say I just upgraded from a 2003 base model car to a 2016 base model and it absolutely feels like driving a luxury car with all the advancements in technology and what comes standard now.
dbr

Post by dbr »

MI_bogle wrote:

Thank you.
My personal opinion is that if you are satisfied with your current cars, that is your answer. Otherwise you are deliberately exposing yourself to unnecessary lifestyle inflation.

Luxury cars are absolutely "better" in that they have much nicer features. But are they a good value for those features? Only you can answer that for yourself. If you have extra money you want to spend, is a luxury car at the top of that list? Or are there other things that you think would be a better use for it?

I will say I just upgraded from a 2003 base model car to a 2016 base model and it absolutely feels like driving a luxury car with all the advancements in technology and what comes standard now.
I went from a 1999 to a 2015 and got the same feeling.
straws46

Post by straws46 »

I found you had to go upscale to get the safety features I wanted: adaptive cruise control, lane assist, heads up display, cameras, night vision (wouldn't get that again). Also nice to have a wi-fi hot spot in the car and blue tooth and navigation with real time traffic alerts. Also need all wheel drive since we don't live in the sun belt. Today you can probably get most of those features on the Accord but I'd compare to the luxury models before I decided. Although we pay a lot up front, the luxury brands seem to last forever. We drive a 2001 Acura MDX and it's great. We take the newer car on trips since it almost drives itself. You'll never feel safer driving in fog or rain when your display indicates that the radar is pacing a car that you can't even see.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Interesting discussion - I also "want" a luxury vehicle, either an Audi q7 or Volvo XC90 in particular. My reasons:
- They look far better than the Japanese brands! Any European car seems to have better lines, the new Toyota/Honda offerings are ugly :|
- They have better seats. I don't know who designs the Honda/Toyota seats but they are garbage. I had to bend the metal posts on my Accord headrest in order to make it work for me (otherwise it juts out and hits you in the back of the head...). Volvo OTOH - Aaaaaah! :D

Is that worth 20k? I don't know. The sweet spot might be to buy one as a CPO, then the worst of the depreciation is over.

I've already gone through my BMW phase and _know_ that the maintenance is a nightmare for European cars. Reading the Volvo forums leads me to believe that the new XC90 is no exception, that car is full of bugs and I can expect to visit the dealer every 1-2 to fix or investigate various issues. Do I want to be a Beta tester?

At this point I'm leaning toward a Honda or Toyota with leather while praying that their exterior design bureaus come to their senses in the next year or so.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

if i'm going spend money on "luxury", the car is the last thing i'd spend it on.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

sunny_socal wrote:Interesting discussion - I also "want" a luxury vehicle, either an Audi q7 or Volvo XC90 in particular. My reasons:
- They look far better than the Japanese brands! Any European car seems to have better lines, the new Toyota/Honda offerings are ugly :|
I was right there with you until you mentioned "Volvo" and "look far better" in the same sentence! Agree most Hondas and Toyotas are ugly as sin but there are some attractive Japanese models out there, mostly from Mazda and Lexus.
SVT

Post by SVT »

dbr wrote:
MI_bogle wrote:

Thank you.

I went from a 1999 to a 2015 and got the same feeling.
Same here, for the most part. I went from a 2004 Focus SVT to a 2015 Fiesta ST and the difference is amazing. Feels like a luxury car.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

sunny_socal wrote:....
- They have better seats. I don't know who designs the Honda/Toyota seats but they are garbage. I had to bend the metal posts on my Accord headrest in order to make it work for me (otherwise it juts out and hits you in the back of the head...). Volvo OTOH - Aaaaaah! :D

This will be a driving force in getting us to buy another vehicle before we hit 200K on our present cars. With retirement looming, we anticipate more long driving trips--and both my Fit and DW's Civic get uncomfortable on a 5-10 hour drive. Given that we won't want to always drive the hypothetical RV on those trips, we'll need to find something else, which will likely involve a more luxurious car.
Edit Signature
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

SVT wrote:Same here, for the most part. I went from a 2004 Focus SVT to a 2015 Fiesta ST and the difference is amazing. Feels like a luxury car.
My 2014 Kia Forte is better equipped and more comfortable to drive than our 2007 Camry, despite the Forte being a model class lower than the Camry. (The trim packages are mid-level within each class.) The Camry has an advantage of being a bit quieter, but not much.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Here's the thing: all cars are nice now. I have a 2016 Kia Optima and it's way nicer than my friend's older 3 series BMW. It's the base model Optima but it still has all kinds of gadgets that I love. It has a touchscreen radio, it's bluetooth works better than any car I've ever had, a backup camera on the big screen, blind spot warning lights (and sounds if your signal is on), and some other features that I love but are actually kinda worthless.

It's quiet and smooth. It rides amazing and I always get mid-30 MPG. I got 40 MPG and a long road trip recently. This is impressive on a big car.

So yeah, luxury cars are nicer... but newer cars are nicer than older luxury cars.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I drive a Mercedes that I lease for about $600 a month with no money down. When it hits 45,000 miles, I take it back and get another one for about $600 a month.

It costs me about $20 a day to rent a new Mercedes, including all regular maintenance. That seems like a pretty goo deal. Life's too short.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

If you buy a mid-level basic car, say like an Accord, every 12 years or so, each new one is a decided upgrade and seems luxurious enough to me.

Indeed a new mid-trim Accord may well have better systems than a more expensive car from 5 years ago.

No different from electronic toys (like phones or computers), you pay a very large premium to have the latest upgrades, that will be mainstream soon.

That said, only you know whether spending the extra dollars on a car will buy you more happiness than retiring a little earlier, or spending a little more on a vacation, or eating out more often. Most of us cannot go top quality on everything, so we prioritize. My priorities may be different from yours.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Lots of different way to spend your money, or not spend your money. Obviously a very subjective thing. Some people like luxury cars, others like performance cars, some like both while others just want transportation from point A to point B. I like to drive so want a fair bit of performance at a reasonable cost. I'm 66 so also want some practicality and driving around in a Ferrari would be a bit much in my view. So as a bit of a compromise I drive BMW M cars- have both an M5 and an M6 cab. Depends on your means and tastes, no right answer.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a comment related to lifestyle choices and several follow-up posts which were derailing the thread. Please stay focused on helping the OP, which is:

Thank you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

JDCarpenter wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:....

This will be a driving force in getting us to buy another vehicle before we hit 200K on our present cars. With retirement looming, we anticipate more long driving trips--and both my Fit and DW's Civic get uncomfortable on a 5-10 hour drive. Given that we won't want to always drive the hypothetical RV on those trips, we'll need to find something else, which will likely involve a more luxurious car.
It is hit and miss with seat comfort. Some of the (low end granted) BMW's seats get a ton of complaints despite being a luxury brand while I have meet a lot of people who like Nissan's zero g seats. Personally I am finding 7 year old Honda seats to be pretty crappy and the headlights (not something I thought about testing but the latest IIHS show the dramatic difference between top cars (some of which are hondas with the new projector lights) and the bottom of the pack (which can be luxury cars) to be subpar.