Vitamix Worth It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lemonPepper

Re: Vitamix Worth It?

Post by lemonPepper »

Vitamix is probably not needed for an average person but I use mine a lot. So I feel it's worth it. I make smoothies with whole nuts (I soak almonds overnight). I make thai food and there aren't many blenders that will blend lemongrass or galanga. That's a specialized use

I bought a used for $225 6 years ago. It is still working. We bought a magic bullet as my wife didn't like the amount of space vitamix needed. It had to be thrown away in 3 years. We feel bad throwing things away.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

For me this appliance is in the "Happy Wife Happy Life" category (along with the expensive German Vacuum cleaner and some other small appliances). The Pesto Sauce my spouse makes is incredible and she claims is it wasn't possible to make as well before Vitamix so I'm not a happy user but I am a happy consumer. We don't dine out as often as our friends, and unlike some of our friends don't hire house-cleaners - so I'm okay with spending a bit more to keep things running nicely.
Personally - I have used it for drinks and I've found with blending Ice in mixed drinks a cheap blender used to make kind of a "slushie" effect (small bits of ice still recognized as ice mixed in with the drink) while this machine makes a true smoothie effect (no noticeable ice chunks - somehow the ice and other flavors are mixed well) with something like a frozen Margarita. I don't know how else to describe it but their is a huge difference. Now it could be operator error with me and the cheaper blenders but hey - I get results without having to try much with the Vitamix.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

We have both a Vitamix (bought at BB&B with a 20% off coupon) and a Ninja Professional Single Serve (bought refurbished on Amazon). Both seem to have plenty of power. I definitely like the convenience of the Ninja single serve especially for smoothies and easier to clean. We don't use either a ton, but assuming they last a while, they'll be worth it to us.

I didn't want to spend the amount for a Vitamix, but my wife wanted it and has enjoyed it.

It's sort of like asking if a Porsche is worth it. To some, yes. To others, who don't have a lot of funds and don't enjoy driving that much, no.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

We have one and love it. The way it chops up the ice is so much better than a regular blender. It's more like a smoothie at Jamba Juice rather than what you are used to at home when using the cheap blenders. Well worth the money in my opinion.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

LarryAllen wrote:We have one and love it. The way it chops up the ice is so much better than a regular blender. It's more like a smoothie at Jamba Juice rather than what you are used to at home when using the cheap blenders. Well worth the money in my opinion.
The pulverizing power of the Vitamix is nice with things like ice and spinach. I like to drink smoothies not chunkies. <-- my attempt at corniest joke of the year

But I'm curious if my ~$60 Ninja Pro (with 900 watt motor) could do the same at my ~$400 Vitamix. Hmmm, maybe I'll make a run to the grocery store and compare the two side by side.
Houe

Post by Houe »

It's one of the best blenders out there. Blendtec's are also talked about in the same sentence as the Vitamix. I own a Blendtec but if I didn't get a deal on it I would own the Vitamix. I think the Vitamix is the better of the two. Get a Vitamix if you like to make lots of smoothies - especially the green smoothies. Only you know if you will use it enough to justify the large price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AbiyzFMK4
azanon

Post by azanon »

If you want an expensive blender, I heard (read) that Blendtec is the one to get.

(edit) consumersearch.com is putting a Breville at the top (at only $200). http://www.consumersearch.com/blenders
If its half as good as Breville's mini-ovens, I'd get that. Love my Breville oven.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

ThankYouJack wrote:
But I'm curious if my ~$60 Ninja Pro Single Serve (with 900 watt motor) could do the same at my ~$400 Vitamix. Hmmm, maybe I'll make a run to the grocery store and compare the two side by side.
I just tested with bananas, ice, spinach, peanut butter, hemp protein, chia seeds, peanut butter powder and almond milk. Both took about 30 seconds to completely pulverize into a thick milkshake consistency and were equally loud (95 dbs). My wife and I both couldn't tell the difference between the two smoothies.

So if you're just making smoothies, I think a sub-$100 blender could work just as well -- just make sure it has a high power motor and gets good reviews. The Vitamix is good for making real thick banana ice cream, partly because of the mixing shaft. I also heard it great for soups, and heats it just by spinning.
Splanchnic

Post by Splanchnic »

I've had a blendtech as well as 2 vitamix. Hands-down, the Vitamix much better. The blendtech I had actually caught fire within a week of use. My last vitamix has been used daily for five years without a hiccup.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

You get what you pay for.I have had mine since 1999.The Ninja is not as good,but like everything else depends on what you use it for and how often.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
citykid3785

Post by citykid3785 »

In short, it IS worth it for 2 primary reasons 1) it won't break down, and 2) it purees to a consistency that others can't, and until you taste the difference you might not understand.

This is a case where we are almost doing it a disservice classifying a $30 Oster and a Vitamix as both "blenders". If you need to blend things once a month or more, you SHOULD invest in a vitamix.

Benefits:
lasts a lifetime of abuse
blends to a consistency that is achievable with others (I'm looking at you Ninja! and magic bullet!) This is the difference between a passable smoothie and a delicious one
puree's soups
grinds nuts

There is a reason why many coffee shops, smoothie shops, and nearly every restaurant use either a Vitamix or a Blendtec. This should tell us something
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

Church Lady wrote: I am quite happy so far with my Vitamix. If I had known about this blender, however:
http://www.omniblend.net/

I might have bought it instead. :wink: You tube reviews says it is no Vitamix, but it does most of what a Vitamix or Blendtec does, and pretty well.
I owned an omni3 before I bought a Vitamix. It is a powerful machine, but there are lots of flaws compared to Vitamix.
1) you can't get everything wet without voiding warranty. With Vitamix I don't have to worry about that.
2) the soups -- you can't use the omni to warm the soups. They recommend using hot water instead.
3) cleaning: theoretically, cleaning should work same as Vitamix (slight amount of liquid soap added to warm water & turn on the blender). In practice, the water does not reach all parts of the blender to effectively clean without needing a separate scrub.
4) Indian batter: the batter for idli & dosa were just not fine enough compared to Vitamix.

For the price, omni is a good deal as long as you're aware of these flaws & OK with it. I got a refurbished Vitamix for a little bit more & couldn't be happier.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Definitely worth it, I use mine all the time.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Been thinking of investing in a Vitamix after chucking yet another lesser model. It was leaking. Have a two speed Warning that is supposed to do ice. It does blend ice, but it doesn’t chop things very fine. So after watching this thread for a while, I found a refurbed 5300 (in red) on Amazon for $318 delivered with tax. My how I wish I had done this before now. Smoothies are smooth. Best case in point:

We found a jar of almond butter that got lost in the cupboard. It had a ¾” layer of oil on top and rock hard solids underneath. We use to spend a half day with a food processor trying to recondition separated nut butters. This one was way farther set up than any we worked with before. I poured the oil into the Vitamix, and used the microwave to heat the jar and soften the solids. I took a spoon to break off pieces of the solids and plop them into the Vitamix. About two minutes later, I had a scary smooth mixture. I am reasonably sure the emulsion is finer than when the jar was manufactured.

Is a Vitamix worth it? If you need/want to do certain things with a blender such as described in these posts, absolutely. Must you pay over $500 for one? No. This blender will outlive me.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

I'll bump this thread from long ago, as it was linked in the favorite pandemic purchases thread. It is an interesting question.

My wife and I are of two different schools of thought on this. She thinks it's foolish to spend more than $30 on a blender. In contrast, I'm not eager to fork out for a full-price Vitamix or Blendtec, but have seen refurbished and factory reconditioned models at prices that have tempted me. I think there are two questions that keep me on the fence:

1. What extra value does the higher price give me?
So we use our $30 blender 2-3x a week. My wife makes smoothies, more frequently in the summer. I use it for cooking (e.g., pureeing a sauce), more frequently for recipes in the winter. While a true margarita isn't a frozen slush-bomb, I'm not haughty, and have made blender drinks for summer guests. I don't have any plans of making nut butter. We also have an immersion blender for soups, by the way. We have a good food processor, stand mixer, etc. I don't know if this fits a niche we don't have filled -- other than the three aforementioned tasks.

2. What model?
It seems like there something like 10-15 different models of each brand, with alphanumeric names that don't really help tell them apart. We do not have an infinite kitchen, so what would not work for us is a giant blender. It has to live on a counter under a cabinet, and not crowd everything out. The current blender goes in a cabinet for storage, as does the coffee maker, as appliance space is a premium.

It's likely someone, thinking along similar lines as myself, took the plunge and bought one -- or decided not to. I'd be curious to hear...
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

cinghiale wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:58 am And, by all accounts, these things last forever.
Agreed, although I am always curious if I should be doing any preventative maintenance on ours like lubrication or something.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I just got one this week. I didn’t like smoothies made in my “cheap assed blender.” I got a massive (ie, won’t fit under the counter) Vitamix (3500 model), and now we are making smoothies all the time.

Imo, well worth it. Not having to clean it by hand is worth the price alone.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Alf 101 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 pm 1. What extra value does the higher price give me?
So we use our $30 blender 2-3x a week. My wife makes smoothies, more frequently in the summer. I use it for cooking (e.g., pureeing a sauce), more frequently for recipes in the winter. While a true margarita isn't a frozen slush-bomb, I'm not haughty, and have made blender drinks for summer guests. I don't have any plans of making nut butter. We also have an immersion blender for soups, by the way. We have a good food processor, stand mixer, etc. I don't know if this fits a niche we don't have filled -- other than the three aforementioned tasks.
I've only had my Vitamix a few weeks so this is not a reply based on a lot of experience. If your wife is happy with the smoothies she gets from an ordinary blender and you are not interested in nut butters and you intend to keep the immersion blender, food processor, and stand mixer...I'm not sure why you would need a Vitamix.

2. What model?
It seems like there something like 10-15 different models of each brand, with alphanumeric names that don't really help tell them apart. We do not have an infinite kitchen, so what would not work for us is a giant blender. It has to live on a counter under a cabinet, and not crowd everything out. The current blender goes in a cabinet for storage, as does the coffee maker, as appliance space is a premium.
The base is big. No way around it. And only one of the smaller containers will fit under a cabinet of standard height. If you make coffee every day and don't even keep the coffee maker out on the counter...you really have no room for a Vitamix.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

We've had for 10+ years. We did have some type of problem with our first around year 6, and they replaced it. We also got the dry attachment, and my wife will use to make various flours, and I'll use to grind coffee.

We use it every day, two or three times a day. My wife makes green shakes a lot with apples, kale, bananas, ginger, celery, etc., and it performs flawlessly. My wife will take almonds, oats, etc. with water, and blend into a pulp to make a starter for grain milks. She'll also blend garbanzos to make hummus. I don't think an every day blender would last with her routine.

For us, it was a good "investment".
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I used Oster and vitamix 780. Vitamix smoothies especially Kale smoothie is so good.
Soups made by vitamix is no match for other blenders, other blenders also works but vitamix is higher precision.

For me its worth and i bought refurbhished product from vitamix. i like preprogrammed feature :)
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs »

Alf 101 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40 pm I'll bump this thread from long ago, as it was linked in the favorite pandemic purchases thread. It is an interesting question.

My wife and I are of two different schools of thought on this. She thinks it's foolish to spend more than $30 on a blender. In contrast, I'm not eager to fork out for a full-price Vitamix or Blendtec, but have seen refurbished and factory reconditioned models at prices that have tempted me. I think there are two questions that keep me on the fence:

1. What extra value does the higher price give me?

2. What model?

It's likely someone, thinking along similar lines as myself, took the plunge and bought one -- or decided not to. I'd be curious to hear...
I have had my Blendtec for at least 7 years. Your question is the same as when buying any premium product. When faced with the same question, I always try to determine if the premium price actually results in a premium product. With the Bledtec and Vitamix, the answer is objectively yes. They are simply more powerful and durable than anything else out there. And if you use a blender 2 or 3 a week, you will quickly discover how useful this extra power is to you. And $500 for something that should easily last 20+ years of use several times a week? Sounds like a good deal to me. If someone stole my Blendtec today, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to replace it.

By the way, I think I went with the Blendtec because it had a smaller profile and height, which matters to me counterspace wise.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

As most others have posted, if you're going to be making smoothies and other things in it that often - then yes, it's likely you will benefit (or at least notice/appreciate) a premium blender. We have a Blendtec, but both Blendtec and Vitamix are great machines. After watching a bunch of videos, there isn't a ton of difference - the Blendtec fits under the kitchen cabinets better, had a blade assembly we felt was easier/safer (I wanted to avoid assembly/disassembly any fingers being cut), and had a couple of other minor things we liked - the Vitamix has the tamper (which is *very* useful if you need it). That was about it as far as difference - they're both great premium products meant to last.

As far as models, yea there's a ton and it is confusing. I can't speak to Vitamix, but we ended up deciding we wanted a display without individual buttons (ie nothing to clean around or gunk to get into), a button for self cleaning, and the soup option - I found the Blendtec Designer 675 to be the sweet spot for features/performance. They do sometimes run some good sales on the Blendtec website - we ended up going with the Designer 675 Bundle for $400 (in 2017 - it had the spoonula, wildside jar, and a recipie book). They also offered - either when I placed the order or in a coupon emailed to me after - a limited time deal to get accessories (including jars) at 50% off (we got the mini and the twister). I don't know if they still offer this, however. We use the self-cleaning every time - it's great. Ironically, we've only made a few soups but that works fine. Great for smoothies which we do almost daily - it's pretty critical to me that the veggies not be chunky for us and this is how a premium blender beats the other options typically (that and not wearing out/breaking like they do). We also sometimes puree frozen fruit for a quick treat/dessert in the twister.
illumination

Post by illumination »

No, I don't think it is. My wife got one, I honestly think the biggest reason it even gets used at all sporadically is because so much was spent on it. To me just seemed like a slightly better than average blender, but way overpriced. It did not change our lives :D

I worked at a juice bar when I was younger, just any old common blender seems to do the job. It's almost positioned like the only blender that can do this.

Obviously if this is a big part of your daily routine and you're an enthusiast, it's a pretty cheap indulgence to get a premium blender. Almost like fine cutlery or cooking pans, just not really needed.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Worth it. Buy once, cry once.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

We have vitamin for years and love it. We got ours from Costco.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Tamarind wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:06 am It's not worth discarding a blender you currently have that works for your needs. I have a bar blender that a local business was getting rid of. Can make mousse, puree soup, etc. Is it chunkier than a Vitamix would produce? Sure but that doesn't bother me.

If the current blender ever breaks down I'd strongly consider getting a Vitamix to replace it...... Unless a local bar had another free blender for me. :)
Tamarind, just wondering if you have ever used tamarind in your smoothies or soups and, if so, what are the recipes?
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Norsky19 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:22 am
walletless wrote:Have one since 3 years and still use it practically everyday. It was a great investment. Morning smoothies, Indian cooking (idli/dosa mix), nut butters, soups, bread (with dry container), etc. I've never used the Ninja to compare, but I believe I've gotten full worth from my Vitamix.
Agreed. I make breakfast smoothies every morning with chocolate protein powder, organic Peanut butter powder, Coconut milk, cinnamon, Flaxseed, Honey, Whole milk and 8 ice cubes......20 seconds in the Vitamix.....like having a Reeses Peanut butter cup milkshake! Breakfast and desert all in one. :P
I make something similar in my much cheaper nutribullet
csm

Post by csm »

Some years ago, I researched both slow juicers and blenders and went with a slow juicer. The reviews convinced me that it would be better for what I was looking for at the time. It turned out to be a mistake - it took a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables to get a small amount of juice, and both the prep and clean up were a pain. And there was so much waste - I never did use all that pulp in recipes as some websites suggested.

I've recently gotten the urge for a Vitamix but am concerned it will become another slow juicer (which I gave away to a friend before moving back to the U.S. from Europe). Although it seems so much more versatile, and I am excited to try to make my own hummus, nut butters, pesto, soups and frozen deserts in addition to the traditional juices and smoothies.

I was going to purchase one a couple weeks ago - and was trying to decide between the Costco option or the top-of-the-line A3500. If it really is going to last the rest of my life, I figured why not go for the best one with the most features. I've been reading info on a few websites and it looks like there may soon be a sale with perhaps $100 off typical (traditional August back-to-school sale) so I'm holding off another couple of weeks.

I've never seen one demo'd live, but watched a lot of the youtube demos and, in particular, the frozen sorbets and hot soups look amazing. I was also impressed seeing fruits tossed in with seeds (e.g. apples, cantaloupe) that appeared to be perfectly blended, so much quicker prep than when I had the slow juicer, and like the idea of adding flaxseeds and chia seeds and blending greens. I just hope it's as easy to use in reality as it seems in those demos.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:31 am
walletless wrote:Have one since 3 years and still use it practically everyday. It was a great investment. Morning smoothies, Indian cooking (idli/dosa mix), nut butters, soups, bread (with dry container), etc. I've never used the Ninja to compare, but I believe I've gotten full worth from my Vitamix.
Agreed. I make breakfast smoothies every morning with chocolate protein powder, organic Peanut butter powder, Coconut milk, cinnamon, Flaxseed, Honey, Whole milk and 8 ice cubes......20 seconds in the Vitamix.....like having a Reeses Peanut butter cup milkshake! Breakfast and desert all in one. :P
I make my similar on a daily basis using a Ninja-something that's a bullet clone. 3 years and no problems. I'd consider the Vitamix, but it is so big. This thing is small and works darn well, chopping up flax and almonds daily.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Tubes wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:48 am
minimalistmarc wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:31 am
I make my similar on a daily basis using a Ninja-something that's a bullet clone. 3 years and no problems. I'd consider the Vitamix, but it is so big. This thing is small and works darn well, chopping up flax and almonds daily.
My kids have one of those. They love my Vitamix, but smaller kitchen with limited under counter space makes it a tough call.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

csm wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 am ...it took a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables to get a small amount of juice, and both the prep and clean up were a pain. And there was so much waste - I never did use all that pulp in recipes as some websites suggested....

I just hope it's as easy to use in reality as it seems in those demos.
The Vitamix does not take a ton of anything. There is essentially no waste (only what you cut off the fruit or veggie before throwing it in). There is absolutely no pulp.

For a smoothie that is not oily or sticky, clean up is literally rinsing out the container, nothing more. It is incredibly easy. For something that might stick to the container, just put in a drop of liquid soap, a cup or two of water and blend. Then rinse. Again, nothing like the clean up of a juicer. I had a juicer back in the day and the clean up made me not want to use it at all.

The other thing about the Vitamix/juicer comparison is that you are not losing the fiber. Juice is essentially sweet liquid with probably some vitamins but the fiber has gone out with the pulp. When you blend your fruits/veggies, the fiber is left in there for you to consume. :happy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:53 am The other thing about the Vitamix/juicer comparison is that you are not losing the fiber. Juice is essentially sweet liquid with probably some vitamins but the fiber has gone out with the pulp. When you blend your fruits/veggies, the fiber is left in there for you to consume. :happy
I am a T2 diabetic, so commercial fruit juices are a no-go. I wear a continuous glucose monitor, and can attest that whole fruits (and other foods) thrown in the Vitamix won’t have an out of bounds effect on my glucose. It’s the pulp, man!

I still avoid using mango or similar, but apples and berries are fine, with maybe half a banana.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Personally I take Juice Plus everyday to get all my fruits and veggies...been on it for about 6 years now and its been solid for myself and my wife...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

illumination wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 pm No, I don't think it is. My wife got one, I honestly think the biggest reason it even gets used at all sporadically is because so much was spent on it. To me just seemed like a slightly better than average blender, but way overpriced. It did not change our lives :D

I worked at a juice bar when I was younger, just any old common blender seems to do the job. It's almost positioned like the only blender that can do this.

Obviously if this is a big part of your daily routine and you're an enthusiast, it's a pretty cheap indulgence to get a premium blender. Almost like fine cutlery or cooking pans, just not really needed.
I've used Vitamix/Blendtec literally thousands of times; I worked at Baskin Robbins throughout high school and parents and in-laws both have them. I've personally owned a total of 2 blenders in 20+ years, both $20 WalMart specials, and never thought to myself that they didn't do what I want them to. If you are regularly making nut butters or soup, sure, but otherwise I can think of a million ways I could spend $400+ that would have a greater positive impact on my quality of life.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

I keep my Vitamix in the garage so as not to wake the family in the morning. One evening before bed, I was cleaning it by running it with water and a drop of dish detergent. I turned it on and went inside house, intending to return after letting it run for a couple of minutes.

About 3 a.m. I bolted awake in bed realizing I never turned it off. Ran to garage and there it was whirring away, the water long since evaporated away.

That was over 5 years ago and it’s still going strong.
superinvestor

Post by superinvestor »

Worst $400 I ever spent. Crud accumulated on the bottom of the blades and it doesn't come off. Replacing the container costs another $200.
oktax

Post by oktax »

We don’t use ours as much as I would like, but we’ve made soups, smoothies and have even done some processor type functions with it. I think it’s a great applicable and seems like it’ll last forever.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Its outstanding. We liked it so much, we bought both sons one. Highly recommend.
Balance

Post by Balance »

I have used my Vitamix almost everyday over the last 12 years. I make green smoothies religiously for lunch. I haven't had any issues and haven't had to replace the blades. For me it was a great buy. I had a Nutribullet as well but it was more of a pain to clean and it didn't have the same blending power as the vitamix.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

makingmistakes wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:06 pm I keep my Vitamix in the garage so as not to wake the family in the morning. One evening before bed, I was cleaning it by running it with water and a drop of dish detergent. I turned it on and went inside house, intending to return after letting it run for a couple of minutes.

About 3 a.m. I bolted awake in bed realizing I never turned it off. Ran to garage and there it was whirring away, the water long since evaporated away.

That was over 5 years ago and it’s still going strong.
A fitting post for "makingmistakes". I hope you don't mind me laughing with you on this. The imagery of this just cracks me up. Good on Vitamix for not creating a smoking hulk.
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

Yes, so much. We moved on from the Ninja.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Totally worth it. I hear there’s a smaller version that goes for $250 or something around that. Bonus - Fits under the cabinets..
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

anthonyphamy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 pm Yes, so much. We moved on from the Ninja.
Yep we did the same thing. Ninja is terrible - if forces everything outside of the blades - so you end up with a very chewy smoothy. The Vitamix makes for a very smooth smoothy.
metacritic

Post by metacritic »

As a fellow fan of Thai cooking, I'm really curious about your blending of pastes. I found Thai pastes required the pounding and scraping of a mortar and pestle. Do you think the vitamix is equal to the M&P in terms of outcomes? Of course, I have a Vitamix so I could just test this for myself but am curious as to your experiences.
lemonPepper wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:54 pm Vitamix is probably not needed for an average person but I use mine a lot. So I feel it's worth it. I make smoothies with whole nuts (I soak almonds overnight). I make thai food and there aren't many blenders that will blend lemongrass or galanga. That's a specialized use

I bought a used for $225 6 years ago. It is still working. We bought a magic bullet as my wife didn't like the amount of space vitamix needed. It had to be thrown away in 3 years. We feel bad throwing things away.
Last edited by metacritic on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

rebellovw wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 pm
anthonyphamy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 pm Yes, so much. We moved on from the Ninja.
Yep we did the same thing. Ninja is terrible - if forces everything outside of the blades - so you end up with a very chewy smoothy. The Vitamix makes for a very smooth smoothy.
Well, even though I like my Ninja, you still have me considering. Can anyone tell me how small the the small version is? That's my biggest issue. I don't have a McMansion. I basically have a galley kitchen and can't afford the space of some behemoth.
Compound

Post by Compound »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:52 pm I just got one this week. I didn’t like smoothies made in my “cheap assed blender.” I got a massive (ie, won’t fit under the counter) Vitamix (3500 model), and now we are making smoothies all the time.

Imo, well worth it. Not having to clean it by hand is worth the price alone.
Similar experience here. Bought the 5200 on sale last year. Love it! Wholeheartedly agree on the cleanup — so easy!
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

miles monroe wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:59 am i broke my first one in year 6 - pulled out my paperwork - and the thing had a 7 year warranty that was still in force. free repair.

i had a piece of frozen banana that was exactly the wrong size and in exactly the wrong place. i now cut bananas in 5 or 6 pieces before freezing.
Ours was just shy of 7 years old, and the variable potentiometer was getting flaky. Called, and the person answering the phone said send it in. We'll fix it. Came back like new. That was over 10 years ago. Like another member upthread said: buy once, cry once.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Tubes wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm
rebellovw wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 pm
Well, even though I like my Ninja, you still have me considering. Can anyone tell me how small the the small version is? That's my biggest issue. I don't have a McMansion. I basically have a galley kitchen and can't afford the space of some behemoth.
Mine has the same footprint as the old Ninja. I bought a refurb off Amazon around 5 years ago.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

The thing that convinced me to buy a Vitamix... blending leftover veggies, some cheese, milk, spices and getting a wonderful steaming hot thick cream of vegetable soup... in 5 minutes!
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Yes, it is worth it.

Top 3 kitchen appliances:

1) Air Fryer
2) Vitamix
3) illy Espresso machine