Vitamix Worth It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lemonPepper

Re: Vitamix Worth It?

Post by lemonPepper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Vitamix is probably not needed for an average person but I use mine a lot. So I feel it's worth it. I make smoothies with whole nuts (I soak almonds overnight). I make thai food and there aren't many blenders that will blend lemongrass or galanga. That's a specialized use

I bought a used for $225 6 years ago. It is still working. We bought a magic bullet as my wife didn't like the amount of space vitamix needed. It had to be thrown away in 3 years. We feel bad throwing things away.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm

For me this appliance is in the "Happy Wife Happy Life" category (along with the expensive German Vacuum cleaner and some other small appliances). The Pesto Sauce my spouse makes is incredible and she claims is it wasn't possible to make as well before Vitamix so I'm not a happy user but I am a happy consumer. We don't dine out as often as our friends, and unlike some of our friends don't hire house-cleaners - so I'm okay with spending a bit more to keep things running nicely.
Personally - I have used it for drinks and I've found with blending Ice in mixed drinks a cheap blender used to make kind of a "slushie" effect (small bits of ice still recognized as ice mixed in with the drink) while this machine makes a true smoothie effect (no noticeable ice chunks - somehow the ice and other flavors are mixed well) with something like a frozen Margarita. I don't know how else to describe it but their is a huge difference. Now it could be operator error with me and the cheaper blenders but hey - I get results without having to try much with the Vitamix.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 am

We have both a Vitamix (bought at BB&B with a 20% off coupon) and a Ninja Professional Single Serve (bought refurbished on Amazon). Both seem to have plenty of power. I definitely like the convenience of the Ninja single serve especially for smoothies and easier to clean. We don't use either a ton, but assuming they last a while, they'll be worth it to us.

I didn't want to spend the amount for a Vitamix, but my wife wanted it and has enjoyed it.

It's sort of like asking if a Porsche is worth it. To some, yes. To others, who don't have a lot of funds and don't enjoy driving that much, no.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 am

We have one and love it. The way it chops up the ice is so much better than a regular blender. It's more like a smoothie at Jamba Juice rather than what you are used to at home when using the cheap blenders. Well worth the money in my opinion.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:54 pm

LarryAllen wrote:We have one and love it. The way it chops up the ice is so much better than a regular blender. It's more like a smoothie at Jamba Juice rather than what you are used to at home when using the cheap blenders. Well worth the money in my opinion.
The pulverizing power of the Vitamix is nice with things like ice and spinach. I like to drink smoothies not chunkies. <-- my attempt at corniest joke of the year

But I'm curious if my ~$60 Ninja Pro (with 900 watt motor) could do the same at my ~$400 Vitamix. Hmmm, maybe I'll make a run to the grocery store and compare the two side by side.

Houe

Post by Houe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:04 pm

It's one of the best blenders out there. Blendtec's are also talked about in the same sentence as the Vitamix. I own a Blendtec but if I didn't get a deal on it I would own the Vitamix. I think the Vitamix is the better of the two. Get a Vitamix if you like to make lots of smoothies - especially the green smoothies. Only you know if you will use it enough to justify the large price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AbiyzFMK4

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:17 pm

If you want an expensive blender, I heard (read) that Blendtec is the one to get.

(edit) consumersearch.com is putting a Breville at the top (at only $200). http://www.consumersearch.com/blenders
If its half as good as Breville's mini-ovens, I'd get that. Love my Breville oven.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:44 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
But I'm curious if my ~$60 Ninja Pro Single Serve (with 900 watt motor) could do the same at my ~$400 Vitamix. Hmmm, maybe I'll make a run to the grocery store and compare the two side by side.
I just tested with bananas, ice, spinach, peanut butter, hemp protein, chia seeds, peanut butter powder and almond milk. Both took about 30 seconds to completely pulverize into a thick milkshake consistency and were equally loud (95 dbs). My wife and I both couldn't tell the difference between the two smoothies.

So if you're just making smoothies, I think a sub-$100 blender could work just as well -- just make sure it has a high power motor and gets good reviews. The Vitamix is good for making real thick banana ice cream, partly because of the mixing shaft. I also heard it great for soups, and heats it just by spinning.

Splanchnic

Post by Splanchnic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 am

I've had a blendtech as well as 2 vitamix. Hands-down, the Vitamix much better. The blendtech I had actually caught fire within a week of use. My last vitamix has been used daily for five years without a hiccup.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:09 pm

You get what you pay for.I have had mine since 1999.The Ninja is not as good,but like everything else depends on what you use it for and how often.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

citykid3785

Post by citykid3785 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:00 am

In short, it IS worth it for 2 primary reasons 1) it won't break down, and 2) it purees to a consistency that others can't, and until you taste the difference you might not understand.

This is a case where we are almost doing it a disservice classifying a $30 Oster and a Vitamix as both "blenders". If you need to blend things once a month or more, you SHOULD invest in a vitamix.

Benefits:
lasts a lifetime of abuse
blends to a consistency that is achievable with others (I'm looking at you Ninja! and magic bullet!) This is the difference between a passable smoothie and a delicious one
puree's soups
grinds nuts

There is a reason why many coffee shops, smoothie shops, and nearly every restaurant use either a Vitamix or a Blendtec. This should tell us something

walletless

Post by walletless » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:54 am

Church Lady wrote: I am quite happy so far with my Vitamix. If I had known about this blender, however:
http://www.omniblend.net/

I might have bought it instead. :wink: You tube reviews says it is no Vitamix, but it does most of what a Vitamix or Blendtec does, and pretty well.
I owned an omni3 before I bought a Vitamix. It is a powerful machine, but there are lots of flaws compared to Vitamix.
1) you can't get everything wet without voiding warranty. With Vitamix I don't have to worry about that.
2) the soups -- you can't use the omni to warm the soups. They recommend using hot water instead.
3) cleaning: theoretically, cleaning should work same as Vitamix (slight amount of liquid soap added to warm water & turn on the blender). In practice, the water does not reach all parts of the blender to effectively clean without needing a separate scrub.
4) Indian batter: the batter for idli & dosa were just not fine enough compared to Vitamix.

For the price, omni is a good deal as long as you're aware of these flaws & OK with it. I got a refurbished Vitamix for a little bit more & couldn't be happier.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Definitely worth it, I use mine all the time.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Been thinking of investing in a Vitamix after chucking yet another lesser model. It was leaking. Have a two speed Warning that is supposed to do ice. It does blend ice, but it doesn’t chop things very fine. So after watching this thread for a while, I found a refurbed 5300 (in red) on Amazon for $318 delivered with tax. My how I wish I had done this before now. Smoothies are smooth. Best case in point:

We found a jar of almond butter that got lost in the cupboard. It had a ¾” layer of oil on top and rock hard solids underneath. We use to spend a half day with a food processor trying to recondition separated nut butters. This one was way farther set up than any we worked with before. I poured the oil into the Vitamix, and used the microwave to heat the jar and soften the solids. I took a spoon to break off pieces of the solids and plop them into the Vitamix. About two minutes later, I had a scary smooth mixture. I am reasonably sure the emulsion is finer than when the jar was manufactured.

Is a Vitamix worth it? If you need/want to do certain things with a blender such as described in these posts, absolutely. Must you pay over $500 for one? No. This blender will outlive me.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t