Vitamix Worth It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SpaceCowboy

Vitamix Worth It?

Post by SpaceCowboy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:52 am

On the Worth Every Penny thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=199812 it seems that a number of people swear by their Vitamix.
OK I'll bite. What's so great about it. I have a much cheaper Ninja and use it only a couple of times a month. Why is the Vitamix such a daily necessity?

walletless

Re: Vitamix Worth It?

Post by walletless » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:58 am

Have one since 3 years and still use it practically everyday. It was a great investment. Morning smoothies, Indian cooking (idli/dosa mix), nut butters, soups, bread (with dry container), etc. I've never used the Ninja to compare, but I believe I've gotten full worth from my Vitamix.

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:08 am

I have yet to identify a need that my hand blender cannot fulfill. I do not make my own nut butter.

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:22 am

walletless wrote:Have one since 3 years and still use it practically everyday. It was a great investment. Morning smoothies, Indian cooking (idli/dosa mix), nut butters, soups, bread (with dry container), etc. I've never used the Ninja to compare, but I believe I've gotten full worth from my Vitamix.
Agreed. I make breakfast smoothies every morning with chocolate protein powder, organic Peanut butter powder, Coconut milk, cinnamon, Flaxseed, Honey, Whole milk and 8 ice cubes......20 seconds in the Vitamix.....like having a Reeses Peanut butter cup milkshake! Breakfast and desert all in one. :P

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:58 am

Worth it? I have one and vote "yes." But I can easily see the arguments against, as the cost is weighed against the benefits above and beyond a standard heavy duty blender. A Vitamix will smoothly purée items that a blender-- even a heavy duty one-- cannot. The blades go at such a high speed that a soup mix left for the requisite amount of time will come out piping hot. And, by all accounts, these things last forever.

I do smoothies every morning in the hot months. My high speed blender (a Duronic BL1200) does a fine job, though some nut pieces or vegetable stems end up in the final product. The Vitamix takes no prisoners. If "mouth feel" makes a difference in how you enjoy food, you may want to try a smoothie, or hummus, or pudding in a Vitamix and give it a taste. I would test a favorite recipe or two out with it before purchasing.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:12 am

rrppve wrote:What's so great about it. I have a much cheaper Ninja and use it only a couple of times a month. Why is the Vitamix such a daily necessity?
It's not a necessity. It's one of a long line of appliance fads.

awizard

Post by awizard » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 am

DF and I just went through the same contemplation. We had a cheap Oster blender from college days. We would normally make milkshakes and smootheis and the Oster just sucked. The Oster was terrible at blended, you would always have to push the foodstuff down into the blender in order to get it to mix. We decided that it was time for a new blender that worked (and didnt cause frustration). We were taken aback by the price of the Vitamix. Reviews were great, but cost is high. We looked furthar into reviews and found that many review were also promoting another mixer that was much cheaper called the Blendtec.

We ended up buying the blendtec after we found it at 50% off at Bed Bath and Beyond :D Let me say this to all the ho-hum people who use cheap blenders. There is a big difference! Wife is happy with the performance. She uses it to make milkshakes, smoothies and puree's soups (currenly using it to make squash soup). I hate to be a talking advertisement, but you may want to consider a blendtec as well. Side note: The blades on the blendtec are not sharpened and cannot cut you while cleaning. Somehow these blades still blend like a champ though.

To me the only question you should be asking is if you want a Blendtec or a Vitamix. No other mixer can compare. :sharebeer
Last edited by awizard on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 am

leftcoaster wrote:I have yet to identify a need that my hand blender cannot fulfill. I do not make my own nut butter.
Ditto. Our $15 Walmart blender is going on 5yrs of everyday, multiple times a day, use. One poster in another thread said something to the effect of "don't cheap out on a blender, it won't blend kale/spinach correctly like a Vitamix". I don't know what "correctly" is supposed to mean; I've been blending various greens in protein shakes for 20yrs, including hundreds (maybe thousands) of them in my parents and in-law's blendtecs and vitamixes, and I have never once noticed a difference. I wouldn't turn one down if it was given to me, but why would I pay ~20x the cost when the cheap ones last me pretty much forever and I notice no difference in the end-product?

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:03 am

joebh wrote:
rrppve wrote:What's so great about it. I have a much cheaper Ninja and use it only a couple of times a month. Why is the Vitamix such a daily necessity?
lol, the "fad" has been around since 1969 when the 3600 model was introduced.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 am

I was always partial to the Super Bass o Matic 76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 am

My wife and I love our Vitamix. She makes a smoothie every day. I make my breakfast smoothies in bulk. The Vitamix is big enough and strong enough to make six smoothies in one batch. I just freeze them in mason jars and take one out each day on my way to work. I also use it to puree soups.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:54 am

joebh wrote:
It's a well built machine that some people find fits their daily kitchen needs, so pretty much the opposite of fad kitchen gadget.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 am

I grew tired of replacing $40 blenders every year and bought a Vitamix a few years ago. So yes, it has been worth it for me.

I use my Breville juicer daily but the Vitamix I use more like weekly.
Last edited by BW1985 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

Yes, a Vitamix is worth every penny. I recommend buying a refurbished one from Amazon, though. It's $100-200 cheaper than a new model, ships directly from Vitamix, and comes with a 5-year warranty, rather than the 7-year warranty that comes with the new models.

I've also heard good things about Blendtecs, but they aren't much cheaper than Vitamixes, unless you just happen to find one on sale. Costco sells both and puts them on sale a few times a year, but never at the same time.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 am

DW makes smoothies daily. We had an Oster and it wasn't as versatile or powerful. It ended up at Goodwill pretty quickly.

Had a Blendtec, and that was actually not bad; if we couldn't have a Vitamix, we'd have a Blendtec. It did a great amount of work in the 2.5 years we had it but we did have to replace the blade assembly because it started leaking after about 2 years of daily use; I think that ran around $30. Very powerful and will destroy whatever you put into it in a great way. Motor is too powerful though and often you get the speed-induced air bubble where you have to stop and use the very thin tamper (an additional purchase). Removing the tamper cover was difficult so we'd just stop blending and remove the lid instead. The bottom of the carafe is much wider compared to the Vitamix, so if you're blending a low volume amount or doing a nut butter, this can be problematic, though cleaning the Blendtec carafe is easier.

When we came back to America we decided to get a Vitamix since our Blendtec was 220v. DW raves about the Vitamix like she never did about the Blendtec. The variable speed control makes using the Vitamix a dream. You can still get the speed-induced air bubble if you go too fast, but it's reduced a significant amount because you can start off much slower with the variable speed control. The shape of the carafe (narrower on the bottom than the Blendtec) seems to help in the mixing a great deal and the tamper is much larger so when you have to use it, that process goes faster, and the tamper hole is MUCH easier to access. Smoothies seem smoother and not as grainy as the Blendtec. We've also found chopping cabbage to be great in the Vitamix. It is taller than the Blentec so if you have low cabinets you might not be able to store it with the carafe sitting on the base, but they have lower volume carafes that are shorter if you want as an additional purchase. It is also quieter than the Blendtec, though neither is truly quiet. In our opinion, there is Vitamix and Blendtec and then everything else. We noticed that Costco has a good price on them if you're a member.
Last edited by SurferLife on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 am

A note regarding the refurbished ones - Amazon does carry them but they can be cheaper on Vitamix's website. Communication with shipping isn't as nice as the shipping notification, tracking, etc. that you get from Amazon.

Rl2

Post by Rl2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:43 am

YES - we got one six months ago and still use it every day. We go through a giant Costco bag of spinach every 6 days, which I consider a good thing. Check the Vitamix site for refurb deals. Refurbished gets a 5yr warranty, full retail is 7yr warranty.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:49 am

I suggest buying noise canceling headphones at the same time. It sounds like a jet taking off and you're sitting on the wing. My wife loves it though, and uses it most every day.

linuxology

Post by linuxology » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:51 am

If you use it daily, then yes it is worth it.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:14 am

My mom bought me one for Xmas about 10 years ago and it's been great. Ive made smoothies, sauces, ice cream, even mashed potatoes in the thing.

coop

Post by coop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 am

In the late 1990s I worked for a company that franchised frozen yogurt and smoothie shops, similar to Jamba Juice and Smoothie King.

We tested every brand/type of commercial blender for the equipment package that we specified. The Vitamix blender was hands-down the best commercial blender available.

I ended up purchasing one for my own personal use in 2000, shortly before I left the company. I still have it, 16 years later. Is it worth it? Yes. That doesn't mean that there aren't other pieces of equipment that can perform the same function. It's just that the Vitamix is very well built, and overall I believe it provides an acceptable price/value tradeoff, thus is "worth it" to me.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:52 am

Yes.
Thought it was an over-priced luxury but decided to give it a try (Costco return policy). Things that took 15 mins (and a lot more water and frustration) on the old Oster, now take 2 mins. And smoother, creamier hummus, smoothies. The best part is the ease of cleaning. The jar must have some coating which prevents things from sticking. No removing blades, gasket, etc. I was sold within a few days of using.
Now we also make soy milk, almond milk, walnut milk at home instead of paying for the expensive ones with preservatives and sugar from the store.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:53 am

SurferLife wrote: It is taller than the Blentec so if you have low cabinets you might not be able to store it with the carafe sitting on the base, but they have lower volume carafes that are shorter if you want as an additional purchase.
they redesigned the normal carafe so that it now fits -- just barely -- under kitchen cabinets. since i use mine almost every day i keep it on the counter, so i gave the old one to one of the kids and bought a new one to free up more counter space. plus it looks better that way for those interested in fashion.

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:15 am

miles monroe wrote:
joebh wrote:
Kinda like Ronco stuff.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:18 am

stoptothink wrote:
leftcoaster wrote:I have yet to identify a need that my hand blender cannot fulfill. I do not make my own nut butter.
Ditto. Our $15 Walmart blender is going on 5yrs of everyday, multiple times a day, use. One poster in another thread said something to the effect of "don't cheap out on a blender, it won't blend kale/spinach correctly like a Vitamix". I don't know what "correctly" is supposed to mean; I've been blending various greens in protein shakes for 20yrs, including hundreds (maybe thousands) of them in my parents and in-law's blendtecs and vitamixes, and I have never once noticed a difference. I wouldn't turn one down if it was given to me, but why would I pay ~20x the cost when the cheap ones last me pretty much forever and I notice no difference in the end-product?
That quote was based on my first hand experience with a Oster blender. It did not blend spinach well. Unless you like chewing your smoothies. As I recall, you never told us the name of your amazing $15 blender.

The blendtec was 8x the price of the Oster, and about 100x times better.

To the OP, if you don't make any thing fancy you won't get your money's worth.

JamalJones

Post by JamalJones » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am

I would recommend it as well!

I bought mine in 2009 and while, like many people, I go through phases, when I'm using it, it makes eating healthier much easier.

One thing that I haven't seen posted yet is that with the Vitamix (although, this technique isn't necessarily exclusive to this brand), it blends so finely that you can make a fruit smoothy and incorporate a small amount of cooked (or uncooked) onions, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, carrots or any other kind of vegetable. Many of you might be reading this and think "Oh my, that's disgusting!" But, you won't taste the veges/mushrooms/onions if you don't over do it. So it's an easy way to pipe more healthy, but potentially less tasty foods, into your system. It's really the best of both worlds.

Here's a "recipe" I use. Feel free to change it around (use your best judgement, I never used set serving sizes):

Berry mix of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries
Plain or vanilla yogurt
Water to make it blend easier (could use fruit juice or milk too)
Tablespoon of olive oil
Handful, etc. of any vege/mushroom/onion you would like

Blend and enjoy!
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

jriding

Post by jriding » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 am

joebh wrote:It's not a necessity. It's one of a long line of appliance fads.
Kind of like my toaster oven.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm

We've had a vitamix for 10 years. There are so few super high quality items that are still available to consumers anymore but the vitamix blender is one of them. The vitamix will last a lifetime and does a superb job at blending vittually anything. It is so powerful you can actually make and literally cook soup in it just fron running the blades at high speed. My only regret is not buying one when I was much younger.

A fad? No not even close - buying long lasting high function real quality is the opposite of a fad.

Can you get by with a $20 cheaply made brand x blender? Sure you can - I suppose someone has to buy all the disposable junk being sold these days because it is good for the economy? : )
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I bought the Ninja at Costco to blend smoothies, which it seems to do just fine. Was like $100 while Vitamix is like $400 during Costco road show. Think I probably will just stick with the Ninja until it breaks and then return it to Costco. Don't make nut butters or hummus.
I did learn a trick for cleaning the Ninja from the Vitamix demo. Just run the blender with plain water and that does a good job on cleaning the blades.
It is nice to see a product that consumers rave about though. So rare in today's consuemrist economy.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:21 pm

I love my Vitamix blender, but it is probably over-engineered for traditional blending tasks. More than most people need for common blending.

On the other hand, the Vitamix encourages me to eat more raw foods and make more foods from scratch simply because I can. I love Vitamix 'ice cream'. I don't think a cheap blender can make ice cream/sorbet. I love tossing whole almonds into my smoothie and having them ground as fine as silt. I like blending a half inch of ginger in a cup of water to make ginger tea. I could do this in my conventional blender, but then I'd have to take the blender apart to wash it, so I never do this.

I am quite happy so far with my Vitamix. If I had known about this blender, however:
http://www.omniblend.net/

I might have bought it instead. :wink: You tube reviews says it is no Vitamix, but it does most of what a Vitamix or Blendtec does, and pretty well.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

greenfire

Post by greenfire » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:29 pm

I bought my vitamix in the early 80s, still going strong.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes, my household destroyed three blenders in one year :oops: We are going on year four with the Vitamix :)

Sriracha

Post by Sriracha » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:56 pm

I worked in some high-end restaurant kitchens ages ago, and never saw a blender other than a Vitamix. And, believe, me - those blenders weren't used just once per day. Try 50-100 times per day.

When it came time for me to upgrade from a crappy blender around 15 years ago, I had no problem going with a Vitamix b/c I knew it would last. Needless to say, I still have it today and it works as well as ever.
Don't reach for yield.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 am

I don't know that it's mathematically worth it for us, since we only use it a few times a week. But that's a few times a week more than we used the old Oster, and every time we do it SEEMS like it's worth it. My wife got it for my birthday a few years ago, and at first I was upset that she spent so much. But I'm quite happy with it, and glad that she got it. We enjoy giving each other things that last.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:06 am

It's not worth discarding a blender you currently have that works for your needs. I have a bar blender that a local business was getting rid of. Can make mousse, puree soup, etc. Is it chunkier than a Vitamix would produce? Sure but that doesn't bother me.

If the current blender ever breaks down I'd strongly consider getting a Vitamix to replace it...... Unless a local bar had another free blender for me. :)

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:22 am

I have a ~$100 Cuisinart and make a smoothie almost every day with zero issues. I don't see where spending 4X more is worth it.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 am

topper1296 wrote:I have a ~$100 Cuisinart and make a smoothie almost every day with zero issues. I don't see where spending 4X more is worth it.
+1 ... I think a Vitamix is great if you can take advantage of its various capabilities. But for just making smoothies, my $30 blender works great!

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:38 pm

I have an Oster from 1999. I only use it a few times a month for specific Indian food dishes and it works sufficiently for that task. If I had to replace it I would probably buy whatever Costco sells which seems to be Blendtec and/or Vitamix.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:47 pm

I agree with the others, worth every penny.

With previous blenders you have to 'rock them' to coax the solids down, add more water than necessary, stir, repeat, etc. Not so with Vitamix.

You can get by with 'cheap' blenders, but there is a real gain by just adding ingredients and pushing a button. The whole process is much easier

davem123us

Post by davem123us » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Totally worth it -- never fails me, is quieter than other brands (but still loud) and is built to last.

It's one of those purchases you'll use all the time and appreciate every time you use it.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:56 am

We have a regular blender and a Vitamix. The regular blender is much easier to clean thoroughly and so I like it better.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:58 am

I have a Waring from 1999 still going strong (similar to the poster with an Oster). It cost about $100-$150. I love it and I'll cry when it breaks since it's irreplaceable. Sure they still sell them, and they look the same, but of course they're not built to last anymore. I would prioritize buying a blender that will last. Not sure what other brand, if purchased today, is as reliable as Vitamix.

rick51

Post by rick51 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Don't fads come and go? This appliance has been around for a while. Of late it is attracting a lot of competition. Check out this youtube video... :wink:
https://youtu.be/pJ0uz6YdTcM

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 pm

I consider items like this as investments.

This will definitely be the last blender you buy. It is very solidly built, and super capable.

I also bought the smaller vessel, as the regular one is pretty big. :sharebeer

William4u

Post by William4u » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:56 pm

We love ours. Yes, 1000 times yes.

david99

Post by david99 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 am

stoptothink wrote:
I agree ---- my $30 blender that I bought at Costco works well--- it doesn't pulverize the food but there is some evididence that shows that it's good to get some roughage in your intestine to feed the good bacteria that lives there. That's why it's a good idea to eat some whole fruits and vegetables. I make some smoothies in my $30 blender but I also try to eat whole fruits and veggies. Anyway, my blender that I bought several years ago is still going strong.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:59 am

i broke my first one in year 6 - pulled out my paperwork - and the thing had a 7 year warranty that was still in force. free repair.

i had a piece of frozen banana that was exactly the wrong size and in exactly the wrong place. i now cut bananas in 5 or 6 pieces before freezing.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 am

We have one. I can't speak to the alternatives. I can't speak to the price or value of it either. Why? My wife bought it. I didn't offer any input.

As a consumer of what comes out of it, I am a big fan. Why? Most of the drinks are delicious. More importantly, I have a very limited diet, likely too limited. I've increased the number (and frequency) of the veggies and fruits that I intake.

My rule ... and this is silly I know ... I don't ask what is in the drink. I'm the guy that liked the mashed potatoes until someone points out (halfway through eating them) that the potatoes contain onions.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 am

miles monroe wrote:
joebh wrote:
I laughed, too. My mom has her Vitamix from the early 70's. Hardly a fad, rather maybe the best purchase she has ever made.

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 am