ringplus mobile premium plans - what is your experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gabriel1970

ringplus mobile premium plans - what is your experience?

Post by gabriel1970 »

I have read several cell phone plan threads on the forum and did some of my own research. I found the Ring Plus Mobile Premium Plans to be attractive. For example, for the "Upbeat" plan this is what their website says.

>>> Monthly Price Auto Top Up Minutes SMS MMS Mobile Data International Overages
Upbeat $4.99 + tax $0 Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited 500 MB Full-Speed 4G LTE 4¢ Data Safety Cap (Stops unless you buy an Add On)

It sounds like for $5 and tax per month, I am getting unlimited talk and text and 500MB of 4G LTE data.

It sound too good to be true. Have you used Ring Plus? Do this sound right to you? What is the catch in addition to having to listen to ads while being connected? Thank you for your comments.
jfave33

Re: ringplus mobile premium plans

Post by jfave33 »

Ringplus is excellent. I've been with them over a year with no issues. They are always bringing out new plans. I'd consider one of their "mad" plans as they route directly over sprint with no ads. I pay $0 a month - crazy!

Some people complain of the latency (slight delay) with the regular ringplus lines but it never bothered me. YMMV.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jjface wrote:Ringplus is excellent. I've been with them over a year with no issues. They are always bringing out new plans. I'd consider one of their "mad" plans as they route directly over sprint with no ads. I pay $0 a month - crazy!

Some people complain of the latency (slight delay) with the regular ringplus lines but it never bothered me. YMMV.
Just received an email that my current RingPlus plans are going away. What, now, are the best ones out there, jjface?
jfave33

Re: ringplus mobile premium plans - what is your experience?

Post by jfave33 »

What kind of allocation are you looking for and what are you looking to pay? I suggest you hang tight for a week to see what happens as there is a lot of uncertainty right now with their shock announcement. I imagine some new plans will be launched shortly to make up for the loss of your plan. What plan did you have?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The plans change daily. (Mad Oak is out there currently). Check their website early and often. The best scenario is to buy a Sprint phone. Some will not require a SIM card. Newer phones will require a Sprint/RingPlus SIM paired with your phone. If the phone you buy (Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, other) does not have a SIM, order one from the RingPlus store. If you have the phone and SIM, then you are ready for the "Mad" free with top up plans that pop up.

Get a line activated with a new number. You could go "starter phone", try a plan out with that new number. If you are satisfied with the coverage and call quality, data, etc, then port in your previous number. Find a Sprint Galaxy S5 or Note 3. A few versions back with a low cost to try out the service.

Sprint coverage is not as good as Verizon and AT&T. It is probably on par with T-Mobile. If you are "big city" you are likely fine. Rural areas and certain states have spotty coverage.

At $0/month with a $25 top up that sits in my account, it is pretty hard to beat. I'll put up with a few downsides to stay with $0/month.

I fully expect the "free lunch" to end at some point. If you try it out, expect it could end at any point. :shock:
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jjface wrote:What kind of allocation are you looking for and what are you looking to pay? I suggest you hang tight for a week to see what happens as there is a lot of uncertainty right now with their shock announcement. I imagine some new plans will be launched shortly to make up for the loss of your plan. What plan did you have?
My kids' phones have (had) the Truly Free plan. What I liked about that was that I did not have to give a credit card number and though it was a basic limited number of minutes, it was sufficient for emergency purposes (let us know when to pick up, drop off etc). Now it appears that they would need a credit card for all types of plans, which I am antsy about.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Yes there isn't much available right now but hopefully over the next couple of weeks there will be. There was a mad truly free plan a few weeks ago that shouldn't be discontinued any time soon but that sold out - maybe they will bring it back sometime.

The best for your needs is probably the paid mad fun plan that costs $2.99 a month. All charges come from top ups - so you would need to go top up every time the balance runs to zero. That would provide protection from overages and you shouldn't see any charges to your credit card unless you go in and manually top up. You could just get a prepaid card to use or something I guess if you don't want to provide your credit card for that too.

It provides more talk,text and data for your money and is directly routed over sprint - so is like having a proper phone instead of hearing the ads/radio.

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/ ... d-fun-plan
rec7

Post by rec7 »

an_asker wrote:
jjface wrote:Ringplus is excellent. I've been with them over a year with no issues. They are always bringing out new plans. I'd consider one of their "mad" plans as they route directly over sprint with no ads. I pay $0 a month - crazy!

Just received an email that my current RingPlus plans are going away. What, now, are the best ones out there, jjface?
How long did you have your plan?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

rec7 wrote:
an_asker wrote:

Just under a year.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Just to clarify, you (jjface) are saying RingPlus is making you switch to a different plan?

RingPlus has had a countless number of plans over the past year. Some last a few hours and are gone. Strange promotions, flash promotions, holiday themed promotions.

All the plans we currently have are not available for new lines. Goya, Hot Pastrami Sandwich, Eclipse, Splash.

It is an interesting ride on RingPlus. :shock:
rec7

Post by rec7 »

an_asker wrote:
rec7 wrote:
an_asker wrote:

Just under a year.
Thanks I learn something everyday. I bought a plan a few months ago with some upgrades. This gives me something to think about. A good deal but not as good as I first thought. It can be kind of hard to spend the top up money also.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

bloom2708 wrote:Just to clarify, you (jjface) are saying RingPlus is making you switch to a different plan?

RingPlus has had a countless number of plans over the past year. Some last a few hours and are gone. Strange promotions, flash promotions, holiday themed promotions.

All the plans we currently have are not available for new lines. Goya, Hot Pastrami Sandwich, Eclipse, Splash.

RP are going through a transition period. There have been complaints and issues with latency on the old plans and so the decision was taken to develop a new system. So for a while they have been launching MAD plans which route directly through Sprint like a regular sprint MVNO with no ads or RP radio as a temporary solution for those with issues. The older legacy plans routed through RP servers I believe and delivered RP radio and ads to pay for the free service. They are now developing a smart dialer for android which will allow them to route through sprint but to play Ads and RP radio to pay for it. Unfortunately apple is more strict with switching dialers and so a VOIP app is being developed instead for iphones. These are supposed to be launched late this year with new plans.

They have not specifically stated old legacy plans will be discontinued (in fact stated 2-3 weeks ago there were no plans to discontinue them) other than an email yesterday listing several discontinued plans:
Commitment
Commitment (Member+)
Free Plan
Future - Phase 11
Future - Phase 3
Future - Phase 5
Future - Phase 6
Future - Phase 9
Leonardo 2
Leonardo 3
Michelangelo
Midsummer Night's Dream
Seashore (Memorial Day)(Non-Member+ Upgrade)
Truly Free
Truly Free 2
Truly Free 3

People have until their renewal date + a further 30 days to switch to a new plan. You can currently switch to MAD Oak for free if your top up is already $5.01+/

I wouldn't count on keeping any of the other legacy plans for much longer so you might want to see what they have to switch to in the MAD range now and in the coming weeks or look elsewhere.

Some patience is really required as they are pretty poor at their strategy and tend to announce bad news before they have their fix ready.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

jjface wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Just to clarify, you (jjface) are saying RingPlus is making you switch to a different plan?

RP are going through a transition period. There have been complaints and issues with latency on the old plans and so the decision was taken to develop a new system. So for a while they have been launching MAD plans which route directly through Sprint like a regular sprint MVNO with no ads or RP radio as a temporary solution for those with issues. The older legacy plans routed through RP servers I believe and delivered RP radio and ads to pay for the free service. They are now developing a smart dialer for android which will allow them to route through sprint but to play Ads and RP radio to pay for it. Unfortunately apple is more strict with switching dialers and so a VOIP app is being developed instead for iphones. These are supposed to be launched late this year with new plans.

They have not specifically stated old legacy plans will be discontinued (in fact stated 2-3 weeks ago there were no plans to discontinue them) other than an email yesterday listing several discontinued plans:
Commitment
Commitment (Member+)
Free Plan
Future - Phase 11
Future - Phase 3
Future - Phase 5
Future - Phase 6
Future - Phase 9
Leonardo 2
Leonardo 3
Michelangelo
Midsummer Night's Dream
Truly Free
Truly Free 2
Truly Free 3

People have until their renewal date + a further 30 days to switch to a new plan. You can currently switch to MAD Oak for free if your top up is already $5.01+/

I wouldn't count on keeping any of the other legacy plans for much longer so you might want to see what they have to switch to in the MAD range now and in the coming weeks or look elsewhere.

Some patience is really required as they are pretty poor at their strategy and tend to announce bad news before they have their fix ready.
What is the sourcing on this?

And more personally, how do I know if I have a legacy plan? (I have "Cool Breeze")
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Interesting updates. I think all plans except the "Mad" plans are probably considered legacy at this point.

I'm going to ride it out until I have to exit. At that point I'll move to TotalWireless or CricketWireless. My wife, 3 kids and parents have filled up the 5 lines for $100 at Cricket. So an additional phone is back to full price. :oops: That is why my phone and the "home" cell are on RingPlus. 7 phones for $100 and the top up balances at RingPlus.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

triceratop wrote:
jjface wrote:

Commitment
Commitment (Member+)
Free Plan
Future - Phase 11
Future - Phase 3
Future - Phase 5
Future - Phase 6
Future - Phase 9
Leonardo 2
Leonardo 3
Michelangelo
Midsummer Night's Dream
Truly Free
Truly Free 2
Truly Free 3

What is the sourcing on this?

And more personally, how do I know if I have a legacy plan? (I have "Cool Breeze")
Most is taken from what the CEO has said in his Q&A session a few weeks ago (https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/ ... session/p1) as well as the forum over at ringplus. I also personally received the email as I have one of the discontinued plans.

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/ ... -notice/p1

Legacy plans are all those that have the ringplus radio and ads when you start a call. That is basically all non-MAD plans so yes Cool Breeze included. You probably should check out the forums for updates if you are on one of those plans as there have been lots of changes in the air over the past month. Lots of uncertainty too but keep calm and patient.

Also you can now switch to Mad Fiesta Free if you are on one of the listed plans - which gives more minutes but less data than Mad Oak if that matters to you more.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Questions:

- What is the coverage map? There are references to Sprint, but no map included.

- Is roaming allowed (extended Sprint network)? If yes, on all plans?

Observation:

Could they have made the plans and naming any more confusing? :-) I was planning to cut over a phone to an ATT MVNO this week, but this may be a better deal.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

jjface wrote:
Most is taken from what the CEO has said in his Q&A session a few weeks ago (https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/ ... session/p1) as well as the forum over at ringplus. I also personally received the email as I have one of the discontinued plans.

Legacy plans are all those that have the ringplus radio and ads when you start a call. That is basically all non-MAD plans so yes Cool Breeze included. You probably should check out the forums for updates if you are on one of those plans as there have been lots of changes in the air over the past month. Lots of uncertainty too but keep calm and patient.

Also you can now switch to Mad Fiesta Free if you are on one of the listed plans - which gives more minutes but less data than Mad Oak if that matters to you more.
Interesting; my read of that discussion is that the plans will continue, but such legacy plans will not be offered for new customers. They eventually hope to offer plans attractive enough so that customers switch to the new MAD-type plans. I'm much less concerned after reading that.

Of course, I could get an e-mail tomorrow saying my plan is discontinued. That's the RP risk, as always! Maybe it's unrealistic to expect 2750/2750/2750 minutes/SMS/MB per month for $0, indefinitely. :D
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

triceratop wrote:
jjface wrote:

Interesting; my read of that discussion is that the plans will continue, but such legacy plans will not be offered for new customers. They eventually hope to offer plans attractive enough so that customers switch to the new MAD-type plans. I'm much less concerned after reading that.

Of course, I could get an e-mail tomorrow saying my plan is discontinued. That's the RP risk, as always! Maybe it's unrealistic to expect 2750/2750/2750 minutes/SMS/MB per month for $0, indefinitely. :D
Unfortunately what you read was what was understood before the email announcement cancelling a bunch of plans. The CEO stated that there were no plans to cancel old plans and yet 3 weeks later some were. Quite a few angry threads buzzing around on slickdeals and ringplus. They also have not provided similar plans to switch to yet though there are a couple of low allocation plans available. I can see them offering 1k mins/1k texts/1gb plans but gone are the days of 6k of everything!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

My wife has been on RP for 1-year now. No issues whatsoever, we even got in with a cheap phone before FED.

I have two old flip phones on some good plans and am going to dump Verizon in the next month or so to RP.

Looking at the currently available plans, they are still cheaper than most other carriers or MVNO's, as long as you are ok with the Sprint network. If my BLT, Cheerful and Hip-Hop plans are cancelled, will just move to one of the Mad plans.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

In case anyone did not receive an email - all legacy non mad plans are in the process of being discontinued. There are free mad plans available to switch to though with lower allocations. Mad simply means the calls are routed directly through sprint cellular for much lower latency calling than previously. In the future there will be an android smart dialer that will need to be used for the free calls. If you do not have android there will be a third party system that introduces latency that you will use but it is not supposed to be any worse than the old legacy plans.
wander

Post by wander »

Latest announcement from Ringplus: "Sprint has notified Ringplus that it plans to stop all services to Ringplus and its subscribers on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM Central daylight time."
rongos

Post by rongos »

Yep, I got the email too.

R.I.P. Ringplus

It was good while it lasted.
danaht

Post by danaht »

To all the people who are losing their RingPlus plans- what provider are planning to switch to? I may try Freedom Pop (the last free provider) - since I'm mostly around WiFi and use Google Voice for the main mobile number. I just need the other number for emergencies and 911 access while driving.
student

Post by student »

danaht wrote: I just need the other number for emergencies and 911 access while driving.
You don't need service to call 911. It is my understanding that the 911 regulations say that cell providers must service for 911 calls from all cell phones, not just their customers. So as long as there is a tower, you can make a 911 call.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

danaht wrote:To all the people who are losing their RingPlus plans- what provider are planning to switch to? I may try Freedom Pop (the last free provider) - since I'm mostly around WiFi and use Google Voice for the main mobile number. I just need the other number for emergencies and 911 access while driving.
Though obviously bummed about losing my $0/mo 500min/500sms/500mms/1000MB plan with Ringplus, I am looking closely at Tello and TPO. They seem to be the best for my particular mix of needs (1GB data, ~300 minutes, ~300 texts). One should shop around though; the marketplace is such that one company is unlikely to be the best for all customers.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My gut feeling was that RingPlus was too complicated, the plan names were too crazy, I did not like the add on fees, and overall it was too good to be true. I almost didn't sign up, but I caved in on a good deal.

We are porting our number to Tello now. Their plans seem much more straight forward and costs are transparent. There are discount codes on RetailMeNot for Tello, if you're interested.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Before trying freedompop check to see if you are able to port in your number. I ordered the SIM card but they can't port in my cell number. Looking to google voice instead.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Not a happy time. Great whilst it lasted. Sprint are shutting them down for not paying bills and ringplus are fighting back by suing sprint for lots of things as part of their contract.

I'm porting most to Tello. Decent low cost pay as you go rates 3ctalk/2c mb/ 1c text and can be mixed with buckets of monthly talk/text/data.

Mintsim looks good too if you have good tmobile coverage. Use code shopclever for 20%off Annual prepaid plans but you get unlimited everything plus 2gblte a month for $167 with the code.

Freedompop doesn't allow port ins from ringplus. I have sims with them but don't use them much. Voip is not reliable enough.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

FP have a new ATT sim for $1.99 that should work better. I just transferred a LG Tribute HD over to FP from Ring+ (cost: $20) , and VOIP calls are crystal clear, probably because it gets 4G data speed. Ymmv.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

For anyone who tried Freedompop, what reason do they give for not allowing port ins from RingPlus? That really makes no sense that they would not allow a number port in from a specific carrier.

Do they just not want the deluge of free/low use phones hitting their network?

I have two low use numbers I'd like to save. I guess I have 5 days left to figure out where they will land. :oops:
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

jjface wrote:Not a happy time. Great whilst it lasted. Sprint are shutting them down for not paying bills and ringplus are fighting back by suing sprint for lots of things as part of their contract.

I'm porting most to Tello. Decent low cost pay as you go rates 3ctalk/2c mb/ 1c text and can be mixed with buckets of monthly talk/text/data.

Mintsim looks good too if you have good tmobile coverage. Use code shopclever for 20%off Annual prepaid plans but you get unlimited everything plus 2gblte a month for $167 with the code.

Freedompop doesn't allow port ins from ringplus. I have sims with them but don't use them much. Voip is not reliable enough.
Looking at tello, possibly the best for my level of usage. Have you seen any confirmation of a port-in from RP/Sprint to MintSim? In theory this should work on, say, a relatively recent iPhone but I have not seen explicitly that someone has done this particular port.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I'm going to figure out something tonight. I still have our youngest daughter on a ringplus plan. My wife and son are on Verizon, and I'm on Verizon through work. I'm not planning to move our daughter to Verizon until at least June, when we might get her a new phone for her 13th birthday. (We bought her a used iPhone 5 for Christmas 2015.)
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Can't believe I still have $60 credit with Ringplus! I just transferred in late last year so it was a total loss for me, a used S3 phone and Ringplus plan upgrade cost me over $150. Now I am still waiting for Google to transfer in my number. I put through the order on Sat but still no update from Google and don't see anything from Ringplus.

Any one else has issue porting out of Ringplus or into Google Voice?
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

hlfo718 wrote:Can't believe I still have $60 credit with Ringplus! I just transferred in late last year so it was a total loss for me, a used S3 phone and Ringplus plan upgrade cost me over $150. Now I am still waiting for Google to transfer in my number. I put through the order on Sat but still no update from Google and don't see anything from Ringplus.

We're porting from RingPlus to Tello. The first line of the port status states: "The port in process takes up to 5 business days to complete."
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

ClevrChico wrote:
hlfo718 wrote:Can't believe I still have $60 credit with Ringplus! I just transferred in late last year so it was a total loss for me, a used S3 phone and Ringplus plan upgrade cost me over $150. Now I am still waiting for Google to transfer in my number. I put through the order on Sat but still no update from Google and don't see anything from Ringplus.

We're porting from RingPlus to Tello. The first line of the port status states: "The port in process takes up to 5 business days to complete."
Same, just started the port.

For others, there is a new promo code for 30% off the first month: "RingPlus"

Subtle. :twisted:
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

triceratop wrote:

GET50OFFNOW for 50% off a plan costing over $10.
CL6TMP for 5% off a payasyou go top up.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

triceratop wrote:
Looking at tello, possibly the best for my level of usage. Have you seen any confirmation of a port-in from RP/Sprint to MintSim? In theory this should work on, say, a relatively recent iPhone but I have not seen explicitly that someone has done this particular port.
Yes I've seen successful port ins from RP to mintsim.

Twigby is another one that is worth looking at. A little more expensive than Tello but it also roams on verizon for added voice coverage. free2start for the first month free. Make sure you turn on the free overage protection.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

jjface wrote:
triceratop wrote:

The corollary to the payasyougo top up is that it is not worth buying a plan with text message allotments, past the first month.
3PKWzh9

Post by 3PKWzh9 »

I had heard good things about RingPlus, but $20 for a 1GB of high-speed data wouldn't work for us.

A lot of (data-oriented) people in our church have been switching to Patriot Mobile and loving it; we're doing that next billing cycle.
Last edited by 3PKWzh9 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

triceratop wrote:
jjface wrote:
triceratop wrote:

The corollary to the payasyougo top up is that it is not worth buying a plan with text message allotments, past the first month.
Please explain that!

Also, I have never encountered roaming (bear with me as I am a limited smartphone user) with RingPlus. How exactly would I be limited with Tello which apparently does not do roaming.

With that said, how does calling USA from, say Canada or India work on Tello? Are they referring to calling using the App? If not, surely outside countries don't get covered with or without "roaming"!

[edited to add]: From what I see as the difference between the "plan"s and the pay-as-you-go option, with the former you'll have unlimited (albeit throttled down) data if you have any data plan selected. On the other hand, with the latter, you will pay exactly for what the usage.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

"The port in process takes up to 5 business days to complete."

I hope is faster than 5 days since they are supposed to shut down by the 11th and don't know how long they can hold on to the number once they are shut down. :annoyed
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

an_asker wrote:
triceratop wrote:
jjface wrote:
triceratop wrote:

Please explain that!

Also, I have never encountered roaming (bear with me as I am a limited smartphone user) with RingPlus. How exactly would I be limited with Tello which apparently does not do roaming.

With that said, how does calling USA from, say Canada or India work on Tello? Are they referring to calling using the App? If not, surely outside countries don't get covered with or without "roaming"!

[edited to add]: From what I see as the difference between the "plan"s and the pay-as-you-go option, with the former you'll have unlimited (albeit throttled down) data if you have any data plan selected. On the other hand, with the latter, you will pay exactly for what the usage.
Let us assume that you use fewer than 300 texts per month (otherwise the unlimited will be cheaper; uninteresting). Indeed, the cost per text is $0.01/mo (ignore the discount here, so this is not a sharp estimate), so that for fewer than 300 texts you spend less than $3.

Now, the main observation is that 200 * $0.01 = $2.00 which is precisely the cost for an allotment for 200 texts per month. Of course if you don't use even 200 text/mo. you automatically come out ahead. But if you use precisely 200 then you will pay precisely 5% less with the pay as you go discount than you would if you used the plan, for which there is no discount. The math changes a bit when you use more than 200/mo but fewer than 300, but the same point remains: it is cheaper.

:moneybag
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

triceratop wrote:Let us assume that you use fewer than 300 texts per month (otherwise the unlimited will be cheaper; uninteresting). Indeed, the cost per text is $0.01/mo (ignore the discount here, so this is not a sharp estimate), so that for fewer than 300 texts you spend less than $3.

Now, the main observation is that 200 * $0.01 = $2.00 which is precisely the cost for an allotment for 200 texts per month. Of course if you don't use even 200 text/mo. you automatically come out ahead. But if you use precisely 200 then you will pay precisely 5% less with the pay as you go discount than you would if you used the plan, for which there is no discount. The math changes a bit when you use more than 200/mo but fewer than 300, but the same point remains: it is cheaper.

The way I see it, the only reason one would get a plan is if you need the "unlimited" throttled down data (or unlimited texting). Otherwise, you are better off with the pay as you go. I plan to try a plan the first month and see how the data works out.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

an_asker wrote:
triceratop wrote:Let us assume that you use fewer than 300 texts per month (otherwise the unlimited will be cheaper; uninteresting). Indeed, the cost per text is $0.01/mo (ignore the discount here, so this is not a sharp estimate), so that for fewer than 300 texts you spend less than $3.

The way I see it, the only reason one would get a plan is if you need the "unlimited" throttled down data (or unlimited texting). Otherwise, you are better off with the pay as you go. I plan to try a plan the first month and see how the data works out.
I'm not talking about data at all, though; My remarks are limited to texting.

My only claim is that the only situation where a plan for texting is worth it is if you use at least 300 texts/mo.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

in hindsight, I realize that ringplus didn't really have a business model at all. Just sign up a bunch of customers and hopefully sell out before the lack of revenue caught up to them. Kind of like the dot com days?

I have backup phone that was on R+, i'm going to try to switch service to freedom pop. I hear it's not very good, but it's zero monthly cost for limited service. Although my current attempt to bring my own device is giving an error message on their site.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Easy Rhino wrote:in hindsight, I realize that ringplus didn't really have a business model at all. Just sign up a bunch of customers and hopefully sell out before the lack of revenue caught up to them. Kind of like the dot com days?

I have backup phone that was on R+, i'm going to try to switch service to freedom pop. I hear it's not very good, but it's zero monthly cost for limited service. Although my current attempt to bring my own device is giving an error message on their site.
That is not necessarily true; they had enough of a business model to convince Sprint to enter into a joint contract with them to grow the network.

That did not happen fast enough, allegedly due to Sprint's intentional sabotage.

I recommend reading the court filings available from PACER (there are PDFs floating around on social.ringplus) as it is a fascinating behind the scenes look at RP.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Easy Rhino wrote:in hindsight, I realize that ringplus didn't really have a business model at all. Just sign up a bunch of customers and hopefully sell out before the lack of revenue caught up to them. Kind of like the dot com days?

I think their business strategy was a freemium model, where some people would upgrade to paid services, but too many freeloaders and not a compelling enough offering. Their other revenue source was advertisement, but they probably didn't have enough support either. Sprint went along with it because they have excess bandwidth and they wanted to pad their subscriber numbers. Both were trying to sell themselves, but looks like any potential suitors looked past the lipstick. It might be a sign that Sprint isn't as eager to sell itself now, and might be trying to improve themselves instead getting ready for the 5G battle.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

If you still want free service try cellnuvo.

I'm currently using it. You basically swipe and watch ads to earn credits to use for sprint cellular service. Not voip. There is supposed to be an app update to make it easier to earn credits coming this week or next

A review here on reddit as well as a referral code that gives free activation and 2500 credits (enough for 250 mins/2500texts/250mb lte). No upfront cost so no risk to try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RingPlus/comme ... rks_great/

Other than that Twigby are great. Like Tello but no payasyougo but includes verizon voice roaming. You can get a free month with FREE2START. [OT comment removed by moderator prudent]
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I moved my two lines from RingPlus to Ting this morning. It took about 2 minutes. Restarted each phone and they were up and running. I reset up voice mail on each line. Disabled texting and data from the Ting dashboard. These phones are just basic call only phones.

Ting did make the port out very easy. I was on RingPlus for 1 year. It is sad that it didn't work out, but that is just how it goes.
wander

Post by wander »

bloom2708 wrote:I moved my two lines from RingPlus to Ting this morning. It took about 2 minutes. Restarted each phone and they were up and running. I reset up voice mail on each line. Disabled texting and data from the Ting dashboard. These phones are just basic call only phones.

Ting did make the port out very easy. I was on RingPlus for 1 year. It is sad that it didn't work out, but that is just how it goes.
It didn't go well for me. I switch to Ting 5 days ago. After update PRL, profile, I still could not make call. Each time I dialed a number, a lady said " we could not complete your call, please try again...". Tried customer service, they confirmed that it is still running on RingPlus so I must wait for a few more days. This is my extra number, so I do not care much, but it is still bothersome.