Simplisafe Home Security System

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
johnnyc321

Re: Simplisafe Home Security System

Post by johnnyc321 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 pm

One problem with the old SimpliSafe system is that the code is transmitted in unencrypted text from the keypad to the base station so a sophisticated burglar could capture the code. Some make a huge deal out of this but I am mostly concerned with drug addicts breaking into my home when I am at work. I don't think the sophisticated type would target my home so I don't think it is something that the every day homeowner should worry about. I think the new system fixes this problem but I don't have the desire yet to pay for the upgrade.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm
Thank you so much for the replies! I honestly will probably just go with entry sensors, one glass sensor, and an extra siren on an accessible window to outside for a child. I just don't want any headaches with false alarms and I don't want anything complicated when we are in "home mode". I am going to avoid motion sensors just because I don't think we will need them. Think we would just go with the 15$ monitoring which seems like it would be worth it for the panic button alone. I have read that the Key Orb is very sensitive and pressed easily accidentally. Anyone have any experience with that?

Any word on if Simplisafe is coming out with a doorbell? I would love it was all integrated with one system rather than buying a RING or Nest doorbell.

Thanks for all replies. I like getting the BH thoughts before a purchase like this.
Re: the video doorbell, if you're interested in that (and/or additional cameras) I'd encourage you to look into the Ring alarm system or the Nest alarm system. If I were still in the market for a system, I'd likely go with a Ring system to compliment my Ring video doorbell. I believe monitoring plus unlimited camera recording is only $100 per year . . . cheaper than SimpliSafe.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info on ring. It doesn’t seem ring has a panic button but everything else seems basically the same. No glass break sensor either I guess. I have a couple windows I am concerned about but I guess the entry sensor should work. I guess I am down to just researching Simplisafe and Ring at this point.

Thanks again for all the input.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:46 pm

johnnyc321 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 pm
One problem with the old SimpliSafe system is that the code is transmitted in unencrypted text from the keypad to the base station so a sophisticated burglar could capture the code. Some make a huge deal out of this but I am mostly concerned with drug addicts breaking into my home when I am at work. I don't think the sophisticated type would target my home so I don't think it is something that the every day homeowner should worry about. I think the new system fixes this problem but I don't have the desire yet to pay for the upgrade.
Just about every alarm system has its vulnerabilities, IF you are able to study what is installed at a home. I've had SimpliSafe for a long time, but I have ADT stickers (from Ebay) on my doors. The random person knocking on my door or passing my home believes I have ADT, and that makes it less likely they will know how my system operates.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Thanks for the info on ring. It doesn’t seem ring has a panic button but everything else seems basically the same. No glass break sensor either I guess. I have a couple windows I am concerned about but I guess the entry sensor should work. I guess I am down to just researching Simplisafe and Ring at this point.

Thanks again for all the input.
I'm in the market as well. Looking into ring. Not sure if the lack of glass break is an issue as I'm planning on using motion sensor to augment contact sensors. Looked at Simplisafe as well but it's 2nd choice as ring seems to have better video and cheaper ongoing costs.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes I am leaning towards ring now too for same reasons. I'm thinking I'm fine with entry sensors and some cameras. Ring does have a panic button on the keypad but not a seperate one right?

I'm also trying to focus on things I can do to prevent entry rather than the alarm system. My law enforcement friend said response time can be a half hour at times.