Simplisafe Home Security System

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
One Ping

Simplisafe Home Security System

Post by One Ping » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Looking at home security systems.

Anyone have any experience installing / setting up / using Simplisafe as their home security system?

Pros and cons? Good or bad experiences?

How would you compare it to more 'traditional' systems like ADT, AT&T or Xfinity?
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

tooluser

Re: Simplisafe Home Security System

Post by tooluser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:40 pm

• - I love that everything about the choice of sensors and installation points is up to me. No one else knows how my house is protected.
    - I love that the price and cost commitment is less than the big name companies.
    - Customer service at SimpliSafe and the monitoring center has been excellent.
    - Unless you live in a 1 bedroom apartment, it will take far longer than the advertised 30 minutes to understand, plan for, install, and test everything. I suggest a phased installation approach.
    - For magnetic sensors, consider carefully where you put them, and then screw the heavier side in place. Do not rely on the adhesive mountings for the heavier side, or they may fall off and set off a false alarm.
    - Check with your local police and/or fire agency for permit requirements, and follow them.
    - I have had one false alarm from a motion detector. Thankfully in my area, one false alarm fee per year is waived by the constabulary *if* you have a permit. They did come out and check things out after calling me first, i.e. the end-to-end alarm notification process worked.
Hey! What? That's What!

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks, tooluser. You sound like a satisfied customer.

Did they provide you with a yard sign? Several of my neighbors have security company 'stick' signs in their yards. Not having one seems like a sign saying, "Here, rob me! "
tooluser wrote:
  • - For magnetic sensors, consider carefully where you put them, and then screw the heavier side in place. Do not rely on the adhesive mountings for the heavier side, or they may fall off and set off a false alarm.
Is this the 'voice of experience' speaking? :twisted:

One Ping

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 pm

One Ping wrote:Thanks, tooluser. You sound like a satisfied customer.

Did they provide you with a yard sign? Several of my neighbors have security company 'stick' signs in their yards. Not having one seems like a sign saying, "Here, rob me! "
tooluser wrote:
  • - For magnetic sensors, consider carefully where you put them, and then screw the heavier side in place. Do not rely on the adhesive mountings for the heavier side, or they may fall off and set off a false alarm.

One Ping
One of my neighbors has a sign affixed to window that home is protected by S&W security. Large dogs are also a popular addition to homes as are motion detector lights and closed circuit video. Would you take your chances on whether they are bluffing or not? :twisted: You can purchase a yard sign from E-bay, but it doesn't mean you actually have the service.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:51 pm

tooluser wrote:
  • - I love that everything about the choice of sensors and installation points is up to me. No one else knows how my house is protected.
    - I love that the price and cost commitment is less than the big name companies.
    - Customer service at SimpliSafe and the monitoring center has been excellent.
    - Unless you live in a 1 bedroom apartment, it will take far longer than the advertised 30 minutes to understand, plan for, install, and test everything. I suggest a phased installation approach.
    - For magnetic sensors, consider carefully where you put them, and then screw the heavier side in place. Do not rely on the adhesive mountings for the heavier side, or they may fall off and set off a false alarm.
    - Check with your local police and/or fire agency for permit requirements, and follow them.
    - I have had one false alarm from a motion detector. Thankfully in my area, one false alarm fee per year is waived by the constabulary *if* you have a permit. They did come out and check things out after calling me first, i.e. the end-to-end alarm notification process worked.
+1. Installed a basic SS system last month and am very satisfied. The motion sensors are extremely sensitive out of the box which caused an issue initially, but we turned them down and haven't had any additional trouble. We're actually buying the glass break sensors tonight.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Be aware that posting a sign in your yard discourages most ramble from attempting to burgle your house.

Also security experts are advising that it is better to post a sign that does not specifically identify the brand of security system you are using. You don't want to let a more sophisticated buglar know that you are running a specific security system by posting a sign of the brand outside your door. It is possible these days for a thief to easily capture your wireless codes from outside especially if they know what to look for. Get and post a more generic sign or trade security signs with a neighbor.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:19 pm

clark howard recommends SS when a caller asks about alarm systems. one of his show employees installed the SS system himself and said it was pretty easy to do.

bengt

Post by bengt » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Get yard sign and 1-2 fake security cameras (cost less than $10) that can be spotted easily.

This helps regardless whether you have actual security system.
Another sign or sticker with NRA lifetime member text should help too.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:49 pm

We've had it for almost 3 years. One of the few things that our homeowner's insurance discount for having it is greater than the annual fee. If you pay annually, you get a month free. We also purchased a refurbished unit for a decent savings amount and filled in the components that we wanted. A quick google search for a promo code also saved 10% and was applicable to the refurbished units as well.

Easy to install, and like others said, it takes longer to take everything out of the box and plan their locations. Second the recommendation of using the screws- the tape tends to fail about 2 in the morning scaring the crap out of me.

As for monitoring service, I changed a battery in the smoke alarm and hit the alarm button by accident. By the time I could get down off the ladder, my phone was already ringing to check if we needed emergency services.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Seems to be as good as ADT while being able to install everything yourself. After the initial cost of equipment, their monthly fee looks to be the lowest.

I'm not sure that having any type of NRA or protected by S&W sticker would be good. It just advertises that there might be a gun jackpot when they know for sure you're away. Bad guys may even become more interested in casing your home because of the possibility of said jackpot. Same deal with stickers on vehicles.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:00 pm

JimmyD wrote: +1. Installed a basic SS system last month and am very satisfied. The motion sensors are extremely sensitive out of the box which caused an issue initially, but we turned them down and haven't had any additional trouble. We're actually buying the glass break sensors tonight.
Good to know. Thanks, JimmyD.
jabberwock wrote: Also security experts are advising that it is better to post a sign that does not specifically identify the brand of security system you are using. You don't want to let a more sophisticated buglar know that you are running a specific security system by posting a sign of the brand outside your door. It is possible these days for a thief to easily capture your wireless codes from outside especially if they know what to look for. Get and post a more generic sign or trade security signs with a neighbor.
Good idea, jabberwock. :beer
miles monroe wrote: clark howard recommends SS when a caller asks about alarm systems. one of his show employees installed the SS system himself and said it was pretty easy to do.
Clark is usually pretty level headed to me. Thanks for the info, miles.
bbqguru wrote: We've had it for almost 3 years. One of the few things that our homeowner's insurance discount for having it is greater than the annual fee. If you pay annually, you get a month free. We also purchased a refurbished unit for a decent savings amount and filled in the components that we wanted. A quick google search for a promo code also saved 10% and was applicable to the refurbished units as well.

Easy to install, and like others said, it takes longer to take everything out of the box and plan their locations. Second the recommendation of using the screws- the tape tends to fail about 2 in the morning scaring the crap out of me.

As for monitoring service, I changed a battery in the smoke alarm and hit the alarm button by accident. By the time I could get down off the ladder, my phone was already ringing to check if we needed emergency services.
Thanks for the individual experience feedback, bbqguru.

As for the suggestions to get just the yardsign and/or fake cameras, etc. ... DW does not feel at all comfortable with that ruse. :wink:

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Google "simplisafe hack" (without quotes) to get an idea of recent vulnerabilities to this system

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:08 pm

One Ping wrote:Thanks, tooluser. You sound like a satisfied customer.

tooluser wrote:

One Ping
They provided a sign but no pole for it...it could just as easily go in a window.

Someone else's experience informed me on the screw-them-in thing. Like another poster said, if something goes wrong it will always go wrong in the middle of the night. That's how my smoke alarm batteries work, anyway (not SimpliSafe). :P
Hey! What? That's What!

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:16 pm

My son installed a SS system in his new 100 year old three story brick home. Numerous phone calls to SS could not resolve why the system could not be made fully functional. Eventually before the 60 days was up the system was boxed up in the original packaging and returned. On Wednesday this past week a credit for $519 was received for the $599 purchase. Several long periods on hold last Thursday resulted in giving up on talking to someone and leaving a message at the prompt. No call back since then and will try again tomorrow.

Leif

Post by Leif » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Sounds good, but it does not seem to include a wifi camera for remote monitoring/recording. Any suggestions on that? Would that take an electrician to setup?

powermega

Post by powermega » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:42 pm

I looked around quite a bit when we were looking for a security system. I started off looking at Simplisafe, but ended up going with Link Interactive via Costco. If you have a Costco membership, I recommend looking at these guys. I believe their system is far better than the Simplisafe system for these reasons:
- Home automation capabilities.
- Industry standard equipment (not proprietary equipment), therefore more sensors at cheaper prices and sensors that Simplisafe doesn't even have.
- Much lower up-front cost.

Link Interactive (via Costco) is $5/month more than the comparable Simplisafe monthly charge ($30 vs $25). Link Interactive has a three year contract, which then reverts to month-to-month. I don't mind the contract because once the system is in place, I really have no intention of changing or removing it. Link Interactive also includes identity theft monitoring for free. Been a very satisfied customer for about 1.5 years.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Leif wrote:Sounds good, but it does not seem to include a wifi camera for remote monitoring/recording. Any suggestions on that? Would that take an electrician to setup?
They do have one that is being beta tested by some SimpliSafe customers, so it's probably forthcoming.
Last edited by JimmyD on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leif

Post by Leif » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 pm

powermega wrote: Link Interactive (via Costco) is $5/month more than the comparable Simplisafe monthly charge ($30 vs $25).
There website says $34.99 + $5 for video.

cjhud32

Post by cjhud32 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Feel free to direct message me for specific detail as I tried to remain unbiased below. I've been working in the field for 8+ years and can give some suggestions. Two quick points: the purchaser is installing their own equipment meaning that person bears the liability. If somebody happens to break in and things don’t work accordingly to plan, you are out of luck. A security company who provides a professional installation holds that risk.

More importantly, SS is easily disabled. Just do some minimal research and make your decision based on what you find. The system can be disabled and their monitoring station (which is subcontracted meaning SS isn’t even the company monitoring you) would not even receive a signal. There is a patented service out there provided by one specific company called “Crash and Smash” which eliminates this problem.

If you do a search for this term you can see the company I am talking about. On their website they will provide you a list of security companies in your area who offers that feature. Just make sure none of the work is subcontracted. I have three homes, all of which use this specific service. I have one property out of state where we don’t service and go through a competitor that utilizes that same technology as nothing competes with it. This does mean that you will be signing an agreement (industry standard is 36 months) but its one bill I do not even think twice about. I will use it for life, but then again, live in a very high crime area/state.

powermega

Post by powermega » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 am

Leif wrote:
powermega wrote: Link Interactive (via Costco) is $5/month more than the comparable Simplisafe monthly charge ($30 vs $25).
There website says $34.99 + $5 for video.
Yes, Costco customers get a $5/month discount, hence the "via Costco" language... Whether it's $5/month or $10/month more, it will still take years to earn back the big difference in up-front cost. I'm not sure if video is worth it, IMO, considering they have picture motion detectors, which don't cost extra every month and give you a picture when you really want it.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:13 am

^ Can you mount the camera outside? One of my biggest needs is to see who is at the door and to deter (if not at least record) door step theft.

whomever

Post by whomever » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:20 am

A security company who provides a professional installation holds that risk.
The ones we've dealt with don't; the contracts have always had fairly strong disclaimers to that effect.

I'd expect that most companies would want that; If I pay $1000 for an install and $20 a month for a security system, and a couple of my wife's $10 million necklaces get stolen off the night stand... a company that wants to stay in business isn't going to cover that.

powermega

Post by powermega » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:47 am

Leif wrote:^ Can you mount the camera outside? One of my biggest needs is to see who is at the door and to deter (if not at least record) door step theft.
No, the camera motion detectors I'm talking about are indoor only. I'll eventually replace the motion detectors I have with those, but I think you need to consider them motion detectors first, but ones that just happen to take a still picture when they're activated.

I think what you're describing would need a good outdoor video camera. A buddy of mine has a doorbell with a camera on it that can record video, which is nice because it's normally hard to get a good front-angle view at the front door. Most video cameras are looking at the side or back of the head when someone is at the front door.

JDot

Post by JDot » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:13 pm

I've heard great stuff. I've researched and decided this is who I will go w/, although I have not pulled the trigger. I know 2 others who have and are pleased.

I mean, most of us are not trying to keep art thieves out. This would be fine for our needs.

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm

The problem with the burglar alarms industry is there are these long term three year contracts and are tough to get of, and automatically roll over to more expensive plans. That is the #1 complain about the industry. SimpliSafe is month to month.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Jabberwockt

Post by Jabberwockt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:24 pm

I bought a refurbished package from their website. Everything looks new. Installing it was a piece of cake. I've accidentally set off the alarm before so i know it works.

I get a discount on my home owner's insurance for having an alarm. I'm on the $15/month plan.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 pm

SimpliSafe's opinion on the hack earlier this year:
http://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-su ... our-securi

It reads true to me, but I am only a satisfied customer who has carefully assessed my own situation, and I am not an expert. Cost vs Effectiveness (in many dimensions). That equation is different for all.

There are easy customer workarounds to the discovered flaw. The flaw has no news stories I have discovered that substantiate the claim in real-life experience, nor differentiate it from other systems. I put this in the category of smart phone, blue tooth, and other hacks - something we live with for now and hope to fix in the near future. Some drug-addled meth addict looking to steal a TV is not going to be able to defeat the flaw, but will be quick. And yet there are sophisticated burglary gangs out there for which the flaw will not be much of an obstacle, and can (relatively) take their time. How paranoid do you want/need to be?

There's no such thing as perfect security. A multilayered approach means a burglar has to defeat many different obstacles, some of which can only be discovered once the initial obstacles have been overcome. "Make them work hard for it" has been the best anyone can do for centuries now.
Hey! What? That's What!

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:05 pm

tooluser wrote: Cost vs Effectiveness (in many dimensions). That equation is different for all.

There are easy customer workarounds to the discovered flaw. The flaw has no news stories I have discovered that substantiate the claim in real-life experience, nor differentiate it from other systems. I put this in the category of smart phone, blue tooth, and other hacks - something we live with for now and hope to fix in the near future. Some drug-addled meth addict looking to steal a TV is not going to be able to defeat the flaw, but will be quick. And yet there are sophisticated burglary gangs out there for which the flaw will not be much of an obstacle, and can (relatively) take their time. How paranoid do you want/need to be?

There's no such thing as perfect security. A multilayered approach means a burglar has to defeat many different obstacles, some of which can only be discovered once the initial obstacles have been overcome. "Make them work hard for it" has been the best anyone can do for centuries now.
To me this is the key. Any security system can be defeated. How much more do you want to spend vs how much incremental security do you get for those additional dollars.

If you maintain a low profile, and therefore offer no reason for the outside world to believe there is anything of extraordinary value in your home, all you are really trying to do is to give the random thief a reason to move on to a lower risk target.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:36 pm

bengt wrote:Get yard sign and 1-2 fake security cameras (cost less than $10) that can be spotted easily.

This helps regardless whether you have actual security system.
Another sign or sticker with NRA lifetime member text should help too.
Homes with guns inside are more likely to be burglarized. See http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html ("Another study, in 2003, found that counties with higher levels of household gun ownership have higher rates of household burglary, not lower. Burglars like to steal not only cash and jewelry but also guns. A homeowner with a collection of firearms may not want to advertise that fact.")

So the NRA sticker is just an advertisement that essentially screams, "Me! Burgle me! I have the good stuff that you can easily sell to your criminal friends on the street."

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Sign on a back gate: My German Shepherd can make it from the house to the gate in 1.3 seconds. Can you?
Signs of being home, lights, dogs barking, are all good. Encourages the bad guy choose a different house.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

amarone

Post by amarone » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:52 am

I have had a SS system for a little over 3 years in a second home.

Overall, I am not too thrilled with the system. We have had many defective components, in particular smoke and CO detectors. I bought these detectors as soon as they became available, so maybe it was teething troubles, but it suggests poor quality control. I have also had a base unit replaced and two communication modules (the things inside the base unit that communicate with the cellular network). Simplisafe support has been very good at replacing parts free of charge, but I have been on the phone to them a lot. I currently have one CO detector that sporadically fails to communicate with the base station, even though it is the closest sensor in the house to the base.

We are in an area with weak cellular coverage. That has added to the problems - the system being unable to communicate to the central system at times (and therefore remote control not working). They initially used the T-Mobile network, but now they also support Verizon, which has improved things.

We have had three false alarms. One was while we were there - caught our son vaping at 2am :happy . The other two occasions we were not at the house and a false alarm when you are over 4 hours away is not good news. One seemed to be caused by installation of sprayfoam, and we do not know what caused the other. This has led to me not using the alarm at times because I dread handling a remote false alarm.

I will second what others have said about support and the monitoring service being excellent.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:57 am

amarone wrote:
We have had three false alarms. One was while we were there - caught our son vaping at 2am :happy . The other two occasions we were not at the house and a false alarm when you are over 4 hours away is not good news. One seemed to be caused by installation of sprayfoam, and we do not know what caused the other. This has led to me not using the alarm at times because I dread handling a remote false alarm.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I've wondered what you and other owners of Simplisafe do when they're called about an alarm going off when they're not home. Without video monitoring, how does one know whether the house is actually being burglarized or if it's just a false alarm?

amarone

Post by amarone » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 am

Loik098 wrote:
amarone wrote:

I've wondered what you and other owners of Simplisafe do when they're called about an alarm going off when they're not home. Without video monitoring, how does one know whether the house is actually being burglarized or if it's just a false alarm?
Well, two of our three false alarms were upstairs smoke detectors detecting invisible particulates, so a camera would not have helped. The house is in a gated community with its own security service. I have them check it out before calling the police. I can open the garage doors remotely to let them in to the house.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:56 am

amarone wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
amarone wrote:

Well, two of our three false alarms were upstairs smoke detectors detecting invisible particulates, so a camera would not have helped. The house is in a gated community with its own security service. I have them check it out before calling the police. I can open the garage doors remotely to let them in to the house.
Ask a friend/relative/neighbor?

amarone

Post by amarone » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:04 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
amarone wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
amarone wrote:

Ask a friend/relative/neighbor?
I have done that for smoke alarms but am leery of asking them to check if our house is full of bad guys.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:09 pm

The cameras are finally out.
http://simplisafe.com/simplisafe-home-security-camera

If you buy using code, MYCAMERA , it's $169 for 2

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:55 pm

My $0.02 is that this system is easily-enough defeated, and due to SimpliSafe's method of hard-coding, is unable to upgrade their existing system to defeat the vulnerability.

I just read their official response here and am not satisfied with their response. Being sophisticated code isn't a defense (criminals are very sophisticated, and often a method will then be resold to others), not being reported to date (!) isn't a defense either, nor is 'We are also not aware of this happening to the systems of other major home security providers that use similar technology.'

They have a hole in their security system (it is for security after all!) and they don't have the ability to patch it. The original researchers put it well when they said “This appears to be a great example of a product that should have had independent third-party review prior to marketing,” White said. “Any credible security lab would have identified the lack of proper communication encryption as a serious issue.”

Caveat emptor.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:52 pm

scooterdog wrote:My $0.02 is that this system is easily-enough defeated, and due to SimpliSafe's method of hard-coding, is unable to upgrade their existing system to defeat the vulnerability.
1. That's why you never post the signs for the security company you're using. You post another company's signs outside.
2. If I get a sophisticated enough burglar who not only knows my signs are false but also how to crack Simplisafe in my neighborhood, well then, more power to him and congrats on scoring my TV. I'm not too worried.

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:58 am

Another thing to consider is that not all cities do "permitting"...many just don't respond to home alarms any more.

Here is Seattle's "solution" to false alarms:
https://www.seattle.gov/business-regula ... toring-faq

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 am

Does anyone know of a security system that won't keep getting set off by a household cat that especially likes to hang out on my home's large window sills?

Loandapper

Post by Loandapper » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:11 am

tim1999 wrote:Does anyone know of a security system that won't keep getting set off by a household cat that especially likes to hang out on my home's large window sills?
Try turning the motion detectors upside down.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:13 am

tim1999 wrote:Does anyone know of a security system that won't keep getting set off by a household cat that especially likes to hang out on my home's large window sills?
If you've installed a good system that's triggered for any/all entry point activity as well as glass break, then a detector that trips the alarm for any subsequent motion inside the home becomes somewhat redundant. So, if you feel you can't live without the motion sensor, you should ask yourself why you feel your initial entry point detection system is inadequate.

However, if you still think you need it or you want recording capability, rather than have motion detection directly trigger the alarm, choose a system that will give you a text alert or has a camera that will silently record motion when it happens. I believe Simplisafe's new camera will allow the latter.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I've been using SimpliSafe for about 6 years, and we love it. You'll see comments online about the keypad not communicating with the base station, and the alarm functions have a delay or don't work. We had those issues off and on for a few years, until we figured out how to fix it. SimpliSafe recommends you not put your base station on the ground... it should be elevated somewhere. We have two keypads, and when we moved the base station upstairs between the two keypads, we never had another problem. Apparently, part of the signal comes out of the bottom of the base station, so it's good for it to be up high.

I bought ADT stickers on Ebay and put them on my doors and windows. I don't think you should advertise what system you actually have, just in case someone is familiar with that system and really wants to target your home.

I put my motion sensors upside down, a little bit above waist level, so my dog doesn't set them off. My entire downstairs has motion sensors, and my 100 lb German Shepherd can walk downstairs at night to get some water. If I walk downstairs, it goes off. I also have a water sensor and a product called "FloodStop" on my water heater to alert me to any water leaks. The smoke alarms went off in my dad's house after he put one over the refrigerator, and fumes or something set it off. The fire department responded and checked his house. I think it's rare for homes to have monitored smoke alarms that actually send the fire department if you don't answer the phone. It's a great system.
Last edited by Geneyus on Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Some additional points to consider-our neighborhood just had four homes burglarized at the same time last week. All were unoccupied since the homeowners had gone out for shopping or whatever. The information from those victims was that all the homes had burglar alarms. The thieves rang the front doorbells to see who was home. If there was no response they ran around to the back yard, took a rock, smashed through the sliding door, rushed into the house, and stole whatever they choose very quickly and then were out of the house before the police could arrive. They probably spent no more than 5 or 10 minutes in a house. One home owner was only gone an hour. Right now our neighborhood is being canvassed door to door by "magazine sellers, people claiming to work for ATT and asking about upgrading your system, and other assorted ruses." Many neighbors have now purchased those door bell cameras like "Ring" (available at Costco for $200) and are posting actual photos of these suspicious sales people via our neighborhood Facebook page.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 am

Hi all,
Just reviving this thread to see if there are any updates. Considering this as a simple way to keep my smallish home secure. Mostly just a few entry sensors. A little nervous about false alarms.

Thanks!

Mike83

Post by Mike83 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 pm

I am a SS user in my business setting and am pleased with it (5 years). We can cover a 6000SF office with a few space detectors and door switches. We use two keypads and a few panic alarm buttons. I like that it can be web accessed inexpensively if I choose to let someone in after hours, or reset remotely if the cleaning staff accidentally trigger it.

If your desire is mainly bedtime security while home, or property security while away, I suggest you go with door sensors, a few glass break sensors, a panic alarm near the bed, and a motion detector. This can be very economical and you might feel this is enough. You can add more later, and no need to go crazy. Plus it's easy to take with you when you move. I set this up for my kids in college.

People can point out some flaws with the wireless calling system. On the other hand, it's very simple for a bad-actor to cut your phone or internet wire outside your house, so if you have that type of setup, it would be wise to have a radio based backup.

------
For legacy reasons, at my longtime residence I have a traditional central office managed system with all the bells, whistles, flashing lights, wires and cellular backup. It is twice as expensive but the service is wonderful as it is a family owned local business. When the cat, or thunder, or a window washer sets off the alarm, I get a friendly call asking what to do and how they can help (not a central station drone). I am keeping it for this reason alone.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 am
Hi all,
Just reviving this thread to see if there are any updates. Considering this as a simple way to keep my smallish home secure. Mostly just a few entry sensors. A little nervous about false alarms.

Thanks!
I don't have a SS system but heavily looked into them about a year and a half ago; ultimately went with LiveWatch Security (now Brinks) because of the unencrypted data vulnerability with SimpliSafe. Since then, SS has come out with a new version of their equipment and I believe that vulnerability (mentioned in several posts above) has been solved.

Our Brinks system runs on the Alarm.com infrastructure, along with Frontpoint, Link Interactive, and a whole host of others. Another benefit is that there are more options for additional sensors (I have a "firefighter" module that monitors my already hardwired smoke and CO detectors) than you'd get with SS since everything with them is proprietary.

The downside to Brinks is the monthly cost is higher--I pay $39 per month but am not currently under contract . . . I signed up prior to some of the corporate changes and new customers now have to agree to a 3 year contract like most Alarm providers.

If I was still in the market for a system, I'd look at SimpliSafe, Ring, and Nest. I'd personally lean toward Ring since I already have one of their doorbells and they offer a similar listening module for hardwired smoke and CO detectors.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 pm

The SimpliSafe system has gone onto a new version (SS3) since my original post. I upgraded due to them offering a substantial discount for existing customers, and also for the new features, and am still happy with it. The new system has encrypted comm between all devices, has both cellular and wifi connections, is sleeker in appearance, and they have also introduced cameras. I find it is more responsive (less time waiting) when operating remotely.

I had two more false alarms in the intervening time. One on the older system that in hindsight was probably a housefly loose in the house, that landed on a motion sensor. I had the police dispatched, but I was able to get back home before they showed up (not exactly inspiring!), and verified it was a false alarm. As a result it was not charged as a false alarm. The other was with the new system, when a magnet fell off the first night and triggered an entry sensor. I figured it out pretty quick, and set the magnet in more securely. Installer (me) error on that one.

It was nice being able to look in on things with the cameras while I was away on vacation earlier this year. The cameras have a physical shutter that is visible when the camera is off. That's an unexpectedly nice feature to avoid paranoia. However, the cameras also have microphones, which you are trusting are not monitored unless an alarm goes off. So there are both pluses and minuses to having such a system inside your dwelling.
Hey! What? That's What!

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! I honestly will probably just go with entry sensors, one glass sensor, and an extra siren on an accessible window to outside for a child. I just don't want any headaches with false alarms and I don't want anything complicated when we are in "home mode". I am going to avoid motion sensors just because I don't think we will need them. Think we would just go with the 15$ monitoring which seems like it would be worth it for the panic button alone. I have read that the Key Orb is very sensitive and pressed easily accidentally. Anyone have any experience with that?

Any word on if Simplisafe is coming out with a doorbell? I would love it was all integrated with one system rather than buying a RING or Nest doorbell.

Thanks for all replies. I like getting the BH thoughts before a purchase like this.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm
I have read that the Key Orb is very sensitive and pressed easily accidentally. Anyone have any experience with that?
I keep it on my night stand. If I carried it somewhere I'd put it in some type of case. I wouldn't put it in my pocket.