Nonstick pots and pans, what is the consensus?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Nonstick pots and pans, what is the consensus?

Post by squirm » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am

Ours kitchen cook set is in need of replacement. It's nonstick, but in back of my mind, I've heard about health issues regarding these, maybe there's truth to it, maybe not. Non stick is nice for the quick cleanup too.

What do you use, aluminum, stainless, cast iron, etc? Nonstick? We're not big on cooking, we eat tons of salads, and have little time to prepare anything so in the end, we'll probably get a moderately priced set via Amazon.

jebmke

Re: Nonstick pots and pans, what is the consensus?

Post by jebmke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 am

We have some of everything and use them all depending on the situation. Non-stick, cast iron, stainless steel ... I even have a small plain steel (not stainless) pan that is great for toasting spices or nuts - for some reason it has the perfect shape and heat profile, almost like a mini-wok. Non-stick is good for some things with low-medium heat but you can't put it in the oven. Cast iron is good because you can use it almost everywhere (except the microwave :!: ) - I even use it on the grill.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:26 am

The health issues with non-stick may(or may not) be overblown, in any event we converted to cast iron(Lodge) and are very happy with the decision. You do need to keep them seasoned but it's not as hard to do as some claim.

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:27 am

squirm wrote:Ours kitchen cook set is in need of replacement.
Maybe not. I received a set of nonstick aluminum pans as a wedding gift 48 years ago. The nonstick surface peeled off fairly quickly; I guess I must have eaten a lot of it. Over the years, the bare metal bottom has become seasoned, and now it is my go to pan. It performs much better than my cast iron or my expensive copper bottom cookware.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:37 am

We have high quality stainless steel (inside and out) pots. They have an aluminum disc in the bottom to spread the heat. They also have a pouring lip, which I wouldn't do without. Also one large SS sauté pan, same construction. We also have non-stick fry pans, typically aluminum in construction and a cast iron dutch oven with a porcelain coating. Excellent for soups, stews, and upper body and ab workout.

I would not buy a non-stick pot. We cook things in them that require lots of stirring (think roux->béchamel) that would quickly destroy any non-stick coating. And frankly, there's very little we cook in those pots that stick to them at all since the heat is distributed so evenly. Our current set was purchased 15+ years ago and is going strong.

The fry pans are a different animal. We need non-stick for things like eggs. I consider these somewhat disposable, with the coating lasting 3 years or so with our heavy use patterns.

We cook a lot. Sounds like you don't, but if you buy quality SS pots (not nonstick) they'll last forever.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 am

Whatever nonstick pan in the size I need is cheapest that day at Kmart or Sears. I do have one nice 12" pan that I got with expiring hilton honors points. I'm not too picky.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:00 am

The nonstick pans are good for many things, such as pancake, frying eggs. But they lose the coating quickly and become useless in a few months. I do have concerns about potential health issues, but my wife just like them.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:14 am

squirm wrote:What do you use, aluminum, stainless, cast iron, etc?
Cast iron and magnalite
squirm wrote:Nonstick?
Butter, bacon grease and olive oil makes them nonstick
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:28 am

Agree with others on mixed pans for mixed uses. I have one small nonstick mostly for eggs on the weekend and a large nonstick for daily items if needed for medium high heat uses or things with sauce. Cast iron chicken fryer for things i want nicely browned like fajitas or sausage, peppers, and onions. Then one large stainless steel high sided frying pan I use for anything needing rocket heat like the stir fries I love doing or making Thai curries.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:54 am

We have some high end cookware of differing types, depending on what we are cooking. For non-stick, we went with a ceramic coating, Scanpan brand. It has worked well for eggs and you can even do browning in it.

slayed

Post by slayed » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:59 am

nonstick is fine for cooking at low to medium heat (eggs, toasting bread, etc) but lousy for everything else.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:23 pm

I have a $40 T-fal 12" nonstick pan from Amazon that works great for everything I've thrown at it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:23 pm

If one really cooks a lot, having the right pan for the job makes the process of cooking so much easier. Some things cook better in cast iron, some in stainless with copper cores, and so on. So how much does your household cook and what sort of things do you like to cook?

Personally, I need to buy a good wok, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Most of my stovetop cooking is either boiling things (stainless steel pots) or a poor attempt at chicken stir fry with a stainless steel pan. I've got a work-around for the stir fry with the pan, but I really should just get a proper wok.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 pm

We have no more non-stick pans due to the health concerns, now use cast iron for virtually everything (4 pans of various sizes.) These days they arrive seasoned and after a period of use they get even better. Use a little oil, butter or bacon grease and they are truly non-stick (and your food will taste better as well.) :mrgreen:

I use an anodized aluminum pan for marinara sauce.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 pm

squirm wrote:Ours kitchen cook set is in need of replacement. It's nonstick, but in back of my mind, I've heard about health issues regarding these, maybe there's truth to it, maybe not. Non stick is nice for the quick cleanup too.

What do you use, aluminum, stainless, cast iron, etc? Nonstick? We're not big on cooking, we eat tons of salads, and have little time to prepare anything so in the end, we'll probably get a moderately priced set via Amazon.
If you want to get ripped off, Amazon is the place to go.
Do some research, then go to the store or order direct from the manufacturer where you will get the best price and will be sure you are getting what you pay for, not some Chinese counterfeit.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:38 pm

My wife still prefers the nonstick pans for cooking. I'll admit - when they're new, they work well. I've used a bunch - both the cheap skillets, and the pricier but longer-lasting Berndes pans.

All of them, however, will lose their nonstick. For the cheap skillets, it's a few months, and with the Berndes, it took a good 2+ years, but they all lost almost all their nonstick properties.

I've been a longtime fan of cast iron after initially hating it, once I learned to season it and getting used to the weight. I now cook pretty much everything (or as much as possible) on it. Even eggs. It's simply so consistent, and as close to unbreakable as you get get, and I actually find it's easier to upkeep than the nonstick, as it's perfectly fine and preferred to just water rinse the cast iron even if there's a thin oil layer leftover, so cleaning is a cinch. Even with eggs, a few firm strokes with the metal spatula, and it's pretty much good to go.

If I were to go back in time, I'd not have bothered with the nonstick at all and just gone cast-iron. My wife would disagree though, and as said, in the early phase of a nonstick pan's life, it does work pretty impressively well - I just hate the reality of having 5+ nonstick pans that all have lost their function in the span of 5 years, and prefer learning to do it well (and forever) with a single cast iron.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Ever see nonstick cookware used in a professional (restaurant/hotel) kithcen? Didn't think so...

We used to use pretty much all non-stick cookware (mostly Calphalon). Over the years as its worn out we have converted to stainless and cast iron. Most of our stainless is All-clad 3/5 ply aluminum core (its $$$ but we get it cheap buying the factory seconds at the outlet, etc)

The cast iron as others noted is naturally non stick once its well seasoned and will never wear out.

Stainless is actually great to cook on once you get the hang of it... you just need to use the proper amount of oil or butter and not go too hot.

We keep a couple of non-stick pans around for things like cooking eggs, but thats it.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 pm

JPH wrote:
Maybe not. I received a set of nonstick aluminum pans as a wedding gift 48 years ago. The nonstick surface peeled off fairly quickly; I guess I must have eaten a lot of it. Over the years, the bare metal bottom has become seasoned, and now it is my go to pan. It performs much better than my cast iron or my expensive copper bottom cookware.
Be careful with aluminum. Cooking in aluminum pans may cause dementia/Alzheimer's.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Of the pans that we have that are non-stick, we've gone from Teflon based ones to ceramic ones but they don't seem to last more than a few months - scratches in surface.

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:42 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
JPH wrote:
Be careful with aluminum. Cooking in aluminum pans may cause dementia/Alzheimer's.
Warning noted. I don't think I have Alzheimer's, but people tell me I do suffer from oldtimer's.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:12 pm

It seems that you can find something "risky" with almost any kind of cookware. Whether it is the coating on "Teflon", iron from cast iron, aluminum, etc.

I actually don't know what to believe.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:33 pm

The iron from cast iron is considered beneficial as a dietary supplement.

Coatings on-stick cookware such as Teflon can kill pet birds if they are overheated.

There is no scientific evidence that aluminum cookware poses a risk.

I don't have any non-stick cookware and use aluminum and cast iron, which last indefinitely. I have also had stainless steel. I have used a non-stick pan in the past but the only things that I make that are even slightly easier to cook in them are omelettes and crepes and that is only when the surface is in excellent condition.

If you eat a lot of salads, get a salad spinner with a removable basket if you don't have one. It makes it easier to wash the greens and keeps them fresh longer. I eat a lot more salad when it is in the refrigerator ready to serve.

Law.74

Post by Law.74 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Lodge and Le Crueset cast iron. +/- ceramic coating.
Le Crueset can be spendy so we shop sales at an outlet store.
"Don’t let the miracle of long-term compounding of return be overwhelmed by the tyranny of the long-term compounding of costs” -John C Bogle

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:39 pm

We have a stainless steel set, plus 2 non-stick pans. Having destroyed the surface of non-stick pans before, we have decided to only use plastic utensils on the non-stick (but really, for everything). Non-stick comes in handy.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm

We had Calphalon aluminum anodized for 20 years. We are now getting an induction cooktop so had to replace with stainless. Much happier with the stainless than the aluminum anodized actually and wish I'd done more research back when I bought the Calphalon back in the 1990s. Stainless is much easier to clean with soap and water most of the time and can easily clean up any tough spots with some Barkeeper's Friend powder. We see no need for non-stick coating on most cookware. We also have a Lodge frying pan but frankly don't use it for much these days.

We do use a non-stick pan for eggs. I picked up a Williams Sonoma stainless induction compatible pan with non-stick on it (lowest priced induction compatible I found but I admit I only spent a few minutes looking so you probably could do better). We use it about once per month. No worries.

Zendelta

Post by Zendelta » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Transitioned fully to stainless steel, carbon steel, and cast iron a while back.

I haven't seen carbon steel mentioned here but they're pretty popular as restaurant workhorses. Basically similar to cast iron but thinner and smoother. My go-to egg pan is a (well-seasoned) carbon steel pan and it cleans up really easily with just hot water and scrubbing.

If you're used to the seasoning/cleaning requirements for cast iron but want a lighter pan you may want to consider carbon steel. Chowhound and Serious Eats and numerous other internet sources have some good explanations and comparison info.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 pm

jharkin wrote:Ever see nonstick cookware used in a professional (restaurant/hotel) kithcen? Didn't think so...

I don't see any automatics in Nascar but I am more than happy using one in rush hour traffic. Professional needs often differ from those of amateurs.

I tend to use both types of pans depending on what I am doing. Personally I like the new ceramic coated pans. They seem to last longer than teflon. YMMV

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:37 am

randomguy wrote: I don't see any automatics in Nascar but I am more than happy using one in rush hour traffic. Professional needs often differ from those of amateurs.

I tend to use both types of pans depending on what I am doing. Personally I like the new ceramic coated pans. They seem to last longer than teflon. YMMV
Bad example - NASCAR is heavily regulated to keep the series cheap, simple and focused on driver skill rather than technology. They also used carburetors up until just 4 years ago ;) In less restricted racing series that allow more technology like Formula1 and FIA endurance racing dual clutch automated manuals dominate...

Like I said earlier we shifted away from nonstick because we found that once you got used to the proper way to cook on it, stainless and cast are no more difficult to work with and will basically never wear out. Lately in fact my wife is becoming especially fond of enameled cast (like Le Cruset... another one we buy at the outlet only).

But we do keep some non-stick for making eggs. I'll have to look at those ceramic pans when it wears out...

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:22 am

If you go with non stick both Calphalon and All-Clad have lifetime guarantees. I too have three different types of pans and use them for different types of cooking.
"La Bella Luna"

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:42 pm

jharkin wrote:
randomguy wrote: I don't see any automatics in Nascar but I am more than happy using one in rush hour traffic. Professional needs often differ from those of amateurs.

Bad example - NASCAR is heavily regulated to keep the series cheap, simple and focused on driver skill rather than technology. They also used carburetors up until just 4 years ago ;) In less restricted racing series that allow more technology like Formula1 and FIA endurance racing dual clutch automated manuals dominate...
No that is what makes it a great example. The fact is that Nascar uses a stick shift. A fact is Chefs in restaurants don't use nonstick pans exclusively. What you can't do is draw the conclusion that stick shift (or not using nonstick) is better than the alternative. You need to understand the reason why the choices are made AND how they apply to your situation. When I was researching this a couple of years ago, there was a pretty big split between nonstick pan usage ( quick google gives an article like http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/The- ... 662310.php ) in commercial settings with some people be totally against it and others say it has it's place depending what you are cooking. When looking at my home cooking I like to reduce the amount of butter/oil (restaurants don't care. Through enough in and any pan is nonstick:)), cook at moderate temps ( restuarants tend to cook at higher temps), don't have a cleaning staff (restaurants do), and I am willing to pay more (restaurants tend to go with the cheapest tool that fits the job).

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:10 am

NASCAR uses a stick because the rules mandate it, not because the drivers/teams feel its the best.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree, further discussion down this path is not likely to advance the OP's intent.

Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:28 am

Have you considered the nonstick pans which are enameled? We only use 1 nonstick pan, a small size for eggs, and recently had to replace it because the coating was wearing off. We got one that is enamel over stainless and are quite impressed. It is very nonstick and easy to clean without sensitivity to scratching. Our neighbor, a chef, recommended it and said hers have lasted for years.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 am

If you don't cook often, I would suggest buying individual pieces of different types of cookware to save money. Unless you entertain often, I don't think you would need more than the following:

1. stainless steel stock pot for soup
2. stainless steel fry pan for stir fry's and can go into oven
3. carbon steel or cast iron for searing/eggs
4. nonstick for pancakes/rice dish
optional: stainless steel saucepan for light duty like boiling/poaching eggs without using the big stockpot

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 am

We do 90% of our cooking on a Weber Genesis BBQ, cast iron grill.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny ...:... One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:04 am

jharkin wrote:NASCAR uses a stick because the rules mandate it, not because the drivers/teams feel its the best.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree, further discussion down this path is not likely to advance the OP's intent.
Yes. The point is pros make different choices than we do because they are playing a different game. You are trying to make the assumption that pros buy the best/ know the best but that often isn't true. Nascar doesn't use the best tech (rules prevent them) and chefs in kitchens might not be picking the best tech either (imagine nonstick was the best but added 1.00 to the meal cost because the pans are more expensive and wear out quicker. What pans would you expect the restaurant to use).

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:24 am

This thread has convinced me to start using our cast iron more, and apparently, after some exhaustive googling, the gold standard for seasoning a pan is to use flaxseed oil. I'm going to have to strip my current pans, but I'm looking forward to using a newly-seasoned and non-stick cast iron pan in a few weeks.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... -cast-iron

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Without addressing the rumored dangers of using nonstick coatings and aluminum, and of gubmint perfidy, I think it boils down to two things:

1) What's your budget? and
2) What are your preferred cooking methods?

You can get really expensive bad pans, and cheapish good ones, nonstick and otherwise. Budget wasn't your question, so let's set it aside.

Lots of recipes on cooking shows are designed for nonstick. Nonstick is easy to clean (while it lasts, at least). You can get it cheap enough and good enough to replacecycle it from time to time. Many home cooks are used to it, and prefer it. Some may be apprehensive about using other cooking surfaces.

Stick pans, if I may coin a term to mean those without explicitly manufactured-in and advertised-in nonstick coatings, are better for browning, which creates flavor, and for deglazing, and applying high heat and moving between higher and lower heat. None of those are especially advanced cooking techniques, but a lifetime of perfectly good home meal preparation can skip all of them.

It's a common demonstration, kind of like what a chemistry 101 professor does on the first day to attract a class's interest, but it's telling: Put an ordinary chicken breast fillet into a non-stick pan with a little spray oil, let it cook for a few minutes, flip it and cook through. Put the same into a sprayed stick pan, give it a minute, lift the pan off the heat and hold it upside down and the meat won't fall out. Give it a few more minutes, until it releases easily, flip it and cook through. Both are cooked. One has more color, and there's residue in the pan that can be scraped up into a little liquid to make a nicely-flavored gravy.

Another concern I hear people have about stick is burning things on to it and not being able to scrub them off. Don't worry. There's an aphorism. If you've never ruined a perfectly good pan you're not a real cook. :happy

I view nonstick vs. stick as a matter of enlightened personal preference. Mine is, but has not always been, stick.

PJW

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:18 pm

The consensus is people will use which ever one they like the best.

No matter how much the anti teflon crowd hollars and jumps up and down and screams to the heavens how bad anti-stick cookware is, the pro-teflon crowd will use it. Cuz, it's easier, and when all the non-stick has chipped away you can get a brand new one at Walmart for $12.49.

And no matter how much the pro teflon crowd claims there is no documented proof that Teflon causes cancer, alzheimers, low-testosterone, contaminates the oceans, etc... the pro stick crowd will not use it. Cuz, it's stoopid to use anything but cast iron and stainless steel. And who want's to keep replacing cookware with more disposable junk made in child labor factories in China and Indonesia.

And that is the consensus.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:21 pm

I researched this a year or so ago when I decided I needed a non-stick fry pan for making omelets.

I ended up with an 8-inch Analon.

Dupont makes the non-stick material that many brands use. They make the material in several quality grades, the highest (I think) is their Signature series. This is what Analon uses. It does put them at the higher end of the price range.

I am quite happy with mine.

Like all such pans, the non-stick surface can be scratched with metal utensils. Stay with those designed for non-stick use.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Ninegrams wrote:The health issues with non-stick may(or may not) be overblown, in any event we converted to cast iron(Lodge) and are very happy with the decision. You do need to keep them seasoned but it's not as hard to do as some claim.
say you were to pan sear a beef steak every night, how often would you have to season the skillet and how long would it take to do so each time?
thank you
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:53 pm

We use cast iron, stainless and no stick depending on the item/method to cook. Be aware that non stick coatings in pans vary a lot in quality. High end non stick pans can last a lifetime if taken care of and not used with metal utensils. The higher end T-Fal skillets are good performers and if you want a set of decent pots try Calphalon Simply Nonstick set for around $200. Inexpensive non stick pans from Walmart are cheap disposable junk that won't last and for the most part do a terrible job cooking food (uneven hot spots, poor heat retention, peeling lining, etc.)

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:33 am

I think non-stick is great, but never lasts more than a short time (material limitation). If there is a correlation between cost and longevity, it is super-linear (i.e. 2x longer life is 5X more expensive).

Conclusion....get cheap non-stick pans from the grocery store, when they are worn out, toss them for new. Enjoy non-stick performance and being cheap.

We usually save one old one as a 'beater' for things like bacon or deep frying that tend to really do harm to the pans, or when we need two pans.

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 am

unclescrooge wrote:
JPH wrote:
From the Alzheimer's Association's Myths page:
... studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:10 pm

aaronb wrote:[From the Alzheimer's Association's Myths page:
... studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.
do you know if "non-stick cookware causes health issues" is also a myth?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:22 pm

We only have stainless steel reverware and farberware that is several decades old. We do have nonstick coating in our electric ricepots, because that's the only way they're sold.

We have had cast iron but found it just too heavy for our preferences. We also have two unglazed clay pots that are fabulous in the oven (which we don't use very often anymore).

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:28 pm

aaronb wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
JPH wrote:
From the Alzheimer's Association's Myths page:
From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056430/
...aluminum is a widely recognized neurotoxin that inhibits more than 200 biologically important functions and causes various adverse effects in plants, animals, and humans. The relationship between aluminum exposure and neurodegenerative diseases, including dialysis encephalopathy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and Parkinsonism dementia in the Kii Peninsula and Guam, and Alzheimer's disease (AD) has been suggested.

This is lifted from an paper that was published in the International Journal of Alzheimer's disease.