Football on Over the Air Free channels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FB01

Football on Over the Air Free channels

Post by FB01 »

Hi,

Being frugal, I disconnected my cable and got the over the Air free channel MOHU antenna. I get free HD channels which also show Sunday Football games.

However, whenever football comes the commentary switches to Spanish. If ad comes, it is in English and also the Half time report also comes in English. Spanish comes as the commentary only. I checked all my language settings and it has Eng everywhere.

Anyone has any idea, why commentary switches to Spanish in Football and what can be done to avoid this. If it helps, I live in bay area.

Thanks,
JR
Thanks, | FB
oldcomputerguy

Re: Football on Over the Air Free channels

Post by oldcomputerguy »

FB01 wrote:Hi,

Being frugal, I disconnected my cable and got the over the Air free channel MOHU antenna. I get free HD channels which also show Sunday Football games.

However, whenever football comes the commentary switches to Spanish. If ad comes, it is in English and also the Half time report also comes in English. Spanish comes as the commentary only. I checked all my language settings and it has Eng everywhere.

Anyone has any idea, why commentary switches to Spanish in Football and what can be done to avoid this. If it helps, I live in bay area.

Thanks,
JR
Is it happening only on one station, or all of them? Typically a second language is fed over a station's "SAP" (Second Audio Program) audio stream; it is originated by the network program provider and passed through by the station. It is most likely a mix-set setting in your TV. (If it was affecting all the station's viewers, you can trust me when I say that they would be hearing about it. :wink: )
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

smartinwate wrote:
FB01 wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
JR
Is it happening only on one station, or all of them? Typically a second language is fed over a station's "SAP" (Second Audio Program) audio stream; it is originated by the network program provider and passed through by the station. It is most likely a mix-set setting in your TV. (If it was affecting all the station's viewers, you can trust me when I say that they would be hearing about it. :wink: )
It is happening on the channels whenever Football comes. Typically on a Sunday, I have 2 channels which shows football and it happens during football only. Sometimes, one of the channel has English commentary but it is very random.

Is there something I can do in my TV setting to hear commentary in English only?

Thanks
Thanks, | FB
dailybagel

Post by dailybagel »

¿Qué canal de televisión está viendo Ud. cuando esto sucede? si está viendo la principal filial de la CBS o Fox y el comentario es en Espanol, la configuración del televisor esta usando "SAP".
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I wouldn't be cheap. Ultimately whether you spend $1500 dollars a year on cable or not, it won't matter. Problem solved.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I wouldn't be cheap. Ultimately whether you spend $1500 dollars a year on cable or not, it won't matter. Problem solved.
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

[quote="dailybagel"]¿Qué canal de televisión está viendo Ud. cuando esto sucede? si está viendo la principal filial de la CBS o Fox y el comentario es en Espanol, la configuración del televisor esta usando "SAP".[/quote

I guess you posted on wrong forum. Post on the forum where they can understand the language you have written
Thanks, | FB
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

FB01 wrote:
dailybagel wrote:¿Qué canal de televisión está viendo Ud. cuando esto sucede? si está viendo la principal filial de la CBS o Fox y el comentario es en Espanol, la configuración del televisor esta usando "SAP".[/quote

I guess you posted on wrong forum. Post on the forum where they can understand the language you have written
I used google translate for that because I am watching football right now and I am bored:

"What TV channel you are watching. When this happens? if you are viewing the principal subsidiary of CBS or Fox and the commentary is in Spanish, the TV setup is using "SAP"."

Edited to add: I'm oddly proud of myself for translating that even though I cheated.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

pennstater2005 wrote:
FB01 wrote:
dailybagel wrote:¿Qué canal de televisión está viendo Ud. cuando esto sucede? si está viendo la principal filial de la CBS o Fox y el comentario es en Espanol, la configuración del televisor esta usando "SAP".[/quote

I used google translate for that because I am watching football right now and I am bored:

"What TV channel you are watching. When this happens? if you are viewing the principal subsidiary of CBS or Fox and the commentary is in Spanish, the TV setup is using "SAP"."

Edited to add: I'm oddly proud of myself for translating that even though I cheated.
I can also use google translate but it is rude to post in a different language on a forum where there is one common language. If everybody starts doing that, no one will visit the forum.
Thanks, | FB
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

FB01 wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
FB01 wrote:

I can also use google translate but it is rude to post in a different language on a forum where there is one common language. If everybody starts doing that, no one will visit the forum.
It was a joke, lighten up OP.

Post by 123 »

On my HDTV, a Samsung, there are at least 3 places in the menus where some sort of "Language" setting pops up. There is a language setting for the menus themselves and then there are two distinct setting in the "Audio" sub-menu. There is one setting for "Preferred Language" and there is another setting for "Multi-Track Sound" (mono-stereo-SAP). I would bet that your "Multi-Track Sound" setting needs to changed from "SAP" to "mono" or "stereo", depending on your preference. I don't know how "Preferred Language" might interact or override with the other settings.

If you don't have your paper user manual for your TV brand you can probably find one online.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

123 wrote:On my HDTV, a Samsung, there are at least 3 places in the menus where some sort of "Language" setting pops up. There is a language setting for the menus themselves and then there are two distinct setting in the "Audio" sub-menu. There is one setting for "Preferred Language" and there is another setting for "Multi-Track Sound" (mono-stereo-SAP). I would bet that your "Multi-Track Sound" setting needs to changed from "SAP" to "mono" or "stereo", depending on your preference. I don't know how "Preferred Language" might interact or override with the other settings.

If you don't have your paper user manual for your TV brand you can probably find one online.

That worked buddy !!! Thanks a bunch....Mine is Panasonic so had to figure out where SAP was there.
Thanks, | FB