Used BMW X1

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mightyquinn00

Used BMW X1

Post by mightyquinn00 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:40 am

Hi All,

Looking into purchasing a Used BMW X1. I have not noticed many downsides to this vehicle, aside from personal complaints others may have noticed (ie. road noise, small rear window).

That being said, BMW recommends/requires premium fuel- yet I have been reading that the internal computer is able to adjust to the lower octane fuel and re-calibrate for the lower octane.

Could I get away with alternating the grade of octane in which I use weekly? One week premium, the next regular and so on? Do any current BMW owners use this method or stick strictly to premium at all times?

Thanks for the help

Valuethinker

Re: Used BMW X1

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:23 am

mightyquinn00 wrote:Hi All,

Looking into purchasing a Used BMW X1. I have not noticed many downsides to this vehicle, aside from personal complaints others may have noticed (ie. road noise, small rear window).

That being said, BMW recommends/requires premium fuel- yet I have been reading that the internal computer is able to adjust to the lower octane fuel and re-calibrate for the lower octane.

Could I get away with alternating the grade of octane in which I use weekly? One week premium, the next regular and so on? Do any current BMW owners use this method or stick strictly to premium at all times?

Thanks for the help
I can't reach my relation who has a similar BMW today.

But I would say this: if it says premium fuel in the manual, use premium fuel. 1). voided warranty issues 2). they wouldn't lie to you, it's not in their interests. BMW engines are highly optimized machines, the company has conservative DNA on drivetrain and engine, but has pushed petrol engine efficiency (whereas competitors have gone heavily diesel, eg VW, and now this is turning into a total disaster area).

Gasoline in the USA is *very* cheap right now. The money saved just isn't worth it (if it is, you need a cheaper/ more economical vehicle)-- you would need to drive huge mileage.

The main thing with BMers is that when they need fixing, it *costs*. Parts are expensive, people who can fix them are expensive. At least that is the North American experience of a couple of owners I know.

Great cars. Drivers' cars. Fun to drive and comfortable and not mushy the way so many N American and Japanese cars are. BUT they cost-- one of the reasons they have high depreciation rates.

I believe I read that something like 80%+ of BMWs and Mercedes in North America are sold on lease. The means for you, as a used buyer, potentially some good opportunities. It also tells you something about the "status" (anxieties? ;-)) of BMer buyers.

I am sure the car will be fun even if not the best financial decision.

bzcat

Post by bzcat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:54 am

The extra paid for higher octane gas over the life of the vehicle will be less one normal repair that will need to be performed simply because this is a BMW.

My envelope math says driving 100,000 miles will take about 3,500 gallons of gas. The 'premium' last time I bought gas was $.20, so thats about $700.
My last three out of warranty BMW repairs were were all more expensive than that.

The gas price premium is small potatoes here, compared to insurance and repairs.

Retired Nuc LDO

Post by Retired Nuc LDO » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 am

I have a BMW motorcycle and a 330i. Both recommend premium fuel but say you can use lower octane. I've used both. The only problems caused by using the lower octane are lower efficiency (mpg) and slight loss of power (which I can barely even notice). I use premium because it costs me about the same overall based on how I drive. Rarely do I "floor it" and I'm usually not too far off of the speed limit. The motorcycle is my daily driver and gets around 43-44 mpg around town with premium but only about 38-39 mpg on regular. Oddly enough, that 12-13% difference in mpg equates to the difference in regular and premium prices here in Silverdale, WA, so I just stick with the premium.

I wouldn't have any problem running regular in either vehicle for extended periods if the math favored it.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:17 am

bzcat wrote:The extra paid for higher octane gas over the life of the vehicle will be less one normal repair that will need to be performed simply because this is a BMW.

My envelope math says driving 100,000 miles will take about 3,500 gallons of gas. The 'premium' last time I bought gas was $.20, so thats about $700.
My last three out of warranty BMW repairs were were all more expensive than that.

The gas price premium is small potatoes here, compared to insurance and repairs.
Certainly not defending not using premium, but the spread between 87 and 93 octane has become outrageous around here. It use to be 10 cents per gallon for each 'step up', now it's 40 ish cents, so about an 80 cent spread between 'regular' and premium. My car uses premium, when I fill up my wife's car with regular I'm always happy ;)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:30 am

US-market X1s are available exclusively with Turbocharged engines, either a 2.0L 4-cylinder or a 3.0L Inline six. In both cases this is a twin-scroll turbo, which means it can act like either a small unit or a large one, providing a similar effect as a twin turbo setup. Running regular gas in a forced-induction engine that calls for premium is a VERY bad idea. It will probably work--the knock sensor will retard timing to prevent detonation from causing engine damage. But this will reduce both power and fuel economy, which eliminates much of the savings.

matjen

Post by matjen » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 am

lazydavid wrote:US-market X1s are available exclusively with Turbocharged engines, either a 2.0L 4-cylinder or a 3.0L Inline six. In both cases this is a twin-scroll turbo, which means it can act like either a small unit or a large one, providing a similar effect as a twin turbo setup. Running regular gas in a forced-induction engine that calls for premium is a VERY bad idea. It will probably work--the knock sensor will retard timing to prevent detonation from causing engine damage. But this will reduce both power and fuel economy, which eliminates much of the savings.
I agree 100% with this. If the gas cost delta is that big of a deal to you then I would suggest not buying a car like a BMW. Especially a turbocharged one. I own a 2015 xDrive28i X1. So the 4-cylinder turbo with the same 8 speed transmission BMW puts in its 80K cars. One of the nice things about these cars (if you are performance oriented) is that you can spend as little as $380 and have your system "tuned" to push out a ton more horsepower and torque. Over 300 in both actually. Car turns into a real mini Q-Ship that is also pretty practical.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 pm

I had a used X3 and put premium in it religiously. I dont think the previous owners did because not long after I got it the O2 sensors in it went bad and the dealer said it was likely due to bad gas. Overall I'd steer clear of used BMWs, they're only fun while theyre under warranty.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Mighty Quinn ,

To me you're soliciting feedback on two separate issues : (1) buying the X1 and (2) the appropriate octane level .

(1) We have an '08 X3 ( MT with 260 hp) and a '15 Audi Q5 ( AT with 272 hp turbo) - if your heart is set on a BMW in general and the X1 in particular , then that's reason enough to go for it but I'd recommend that you at least test drive a recent model year X3 (6 cyl) for comparison ; in general BMWs across the board have a sporty suspension and are accordingly very responsive to drive - however , we found that the X3 gives a somewhat "trucky" ride especially on bumpy roads - our Audi by comparison provides a softer ride on all road surfaces , is plenty peppy, and handles well enough - and they now offer a Q3 that you may want to check out .

(2) I recently read an article on the appropriate octane level for vehicles and it said that many times 89 is as good as 93 for many vehicles ; the owners' manual probably trumps other information .

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Based on your question I assume you are cost conscious. Have you researched what the 30,60, or 90K service is going to cost you? What do you think a new battery and an oil change will cost you at the dealer? What will be the cost if the AC or alternator goes out?

ljb1234

Post by ljb1234 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:22 pm

I have a CPO X1 35i and only use 89 or higher octane gas.
I would be hesitant to buy a used one unless its a CPO, due to the high cost of repairs.
Your mileage may vary...
lb

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm

We have a 2014 and 2015 X1, x drive. They have both been great cars for us, but we chose them for attributes that were important to us: performance, safety, size and ergonomics. There were much cheaper alternatives without those attributes. We would buy them again. I've owned German cars long term in the past and have a sense of the risk. No offense. I wouldn't consider putting regular in either car as a cost cutting strategy. Good luck with your decision.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:40 pm

ubermax wrote:Mighty Quinn ,

(2) I recently read an article on the appropriate octane level for vehicles and it said that many times 89 is as good as 93 for many vehicles ; the owners' manual probably trumps other information .
This is one of the cars that wants a higher octane. Putting 91 in an 87 car doesn't get you anything. Putting 91 in a 91 car and you tend to get something. If you read the manual it will say something like 89 required, 91 recommended. Most people (and BMW) state you get lower performance but will not hurt the engine with the low/mid grade (our pumps are 87,89,91,93) gas. The debate is do you get worse MPG. There is a crew that claims they get 10-20% more MPG with 91 versus 87. Another group goes it makes no difference. Reality is that measuring gas mileage is hard. It is easy to say I got 32 on the last tank and 30 on the previous but accounting for different driving patterns is hard. And gas also changes in areas (winter gas/ summer gas) and you might get different ethanol levels depending on grade.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Usually in these cars of you lose the lower octane you get worse MPG which cancels the savings. If saving $.30 cents per gallon or whatever is important to you than don't buy a BMW.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm

We've had a total of 7 BMWs (yes, we like them) and we currently have 3. We have never used anything but mid-grade gasoline and have had zero problems as a result over the last 20 years. I wouldn't recommend running regular though.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:16 am

Though you can use something less than premium, it's not recommended and shouldn't be done on a regular basis. Several years ago, there was a gas shortage in our area and there was no premium to be found anywhere. We were running low on gas so we called the dealer to ask about the possibility of using something other than premium. They said we could use mid-grade if we had to, with no adverse effects, but not to use regular at all.

-Steph

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm

dpm321 wrote:We've had a total of 7 BMWs (yes, we like them) and we currently have 3. We have never used anything but mid-grade gasoline and have had zero problems as a result over the last 20 years. I wouldn't recommend running regular though.
Have there been significant changes in BMW engine technology?

Here (Europe), they talk about "Pursuit Dynamics" etc. They have increased the engine technology for sure in that. That to me suggests the engine will also be more sensitive to conditions, inputs etc.

It seems to me the risk of a false economy given the cost of the underlying vehicle. That is, if the manual says premium gas.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:33 pm

mightyquinn00 wrote:Hi All,

mightyquinn00:

The 2016 Auto Issue of Consumer Reports rates the BMW XI for reliability in 2013; 2014 and 2015.

The 2013 and 2015 automobiles were "Much Worse Than Average." The 2014 automobile was "Much Better Than Average."

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Not a fan of Diesel engines, so I'd pass on BMWs.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

RoadHouseFan wrote:Not a fan of Diesel engines, so I'd pass on BMWs.
Are many US BMWs diesels?

In Europe, it is the one car company that has focused on petrol engines. Whereas over 50% of European cars sold are probably diesels, I would bet in BMW it is less than 50%.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-sticki ... n-the-u-s/
In the United States, BMW currently sells diesel versions of its 3-series (328d xDrive sedan and wagon), 5-series (535d with rear- or all-wheel drive), X3 (xDrive28d), and X5 (xDrive35d). Diesels accounted for approximately six percent of BMW’s total U.S. sales in 2015, and the company did not see any drop-off in demand in the wake of the Volkswagen crisis.
6%

Is it possible you are confusing Bayerische Motoren Werke with Volkswagen? The former is a niche luxury car producer, with 2 brands: Mini and BMW. Produces about 2m cars pa. The latter is the world's largest car company, and produces under a wide variety of brands: Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat etc. The diesel scandal has, so far, only affected the latter.

So you can avoid diesels, and still buy a BMW, should you wish.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am

As Valuethinker said, I'm not sure how you're making this connection, since BMW sells very few diesels. The X1 that the OP is discussing does not even offer it as an option. But either way, this is definitely your loss. My 335d is by far the best blend of performance and practicality I've ever experienced. 500lbft of torque (aftermarket chip, stock is 425) paired with 30mpg, on fuel that currently costs 32% less than premium gas ($3.39 vs. $2.29 here in Chicago), is a HUGE win.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm

I don't know about BMWs, but some cars that call for premium say right in the owner's manual it is ok to run on regular. I had a 2000 Honda Civic Si (a la Fast & Furious). I did this to try it. Yes, you could run it on regular without damaging the engine. Downside is the engine has very poor performance when you do this.

So, if you are paying for a high performance car, why would you want to run it on regular with greatly reduced performance, even if you can?

I think the concept of permitting running on regular is for a short term situation, like premium is unavailable.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Consumer Reports often says that if premium is "recommended " by the manufacturer then it is okay to use regular. However, if the manufacturer says that premium is "required" then you need to use only premium.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:42 am

lazydavid wrote:
As Valuethinker said, I'm not sure how you're making this connection, since BMW sells very few diesels. The X1 that the OP is discussing does not even offer it as an option. But either way, this is definitely your loss. My 335d is by far the best blend of performance and practicality I've ever experienced. 500lbft of torque (aftermarket chip, stock is 425) paired with 30mpg, on fuel that currently costs 32% less than premium gas ($3.39 vs. $2.29 here in Chicago), is a HUGE win.
I was about to explain the origins (from military engineering) of Shakespeare's expression "Hoisted on his own petard" ;-).

In defence, from 3000 miles away German car companies must all look similar (after all it's easy to forget Audi is VW).