yahoo class action email suit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
silentfaith

yahoo class action email suit

Post by silentfaith »

how would someone join a class action suit against yahoo for neglect of our email account?
jebmke

Re: yahoo class action email suit

Post by jebmke »

I think some lawyer would have to take this on to get a class certified.

What are your damages?
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

About the most anyone could get out of this would be a year of worthless credit monitoring. The Internet is not safe, you are going to be hacked at some point. Freeze your credit if you are worried about the hack, get a good password manager and make very strong passwords for all your sites. Change all of your account passwords if you have not already done so.
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

OP: I would be surprised if a class action doesn't get filed, if not already filed. Class members have been damaged in innumerable ways. After the lawsuit has been filed, it will take a number of months, more likely longer, for the judge assigned to the case to decide whether, under the circumstances, the case should properly proceed as a class action, or not. If the judge decides it should proceed as a class action, under the state law where the case is pending, or the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure if filed in federal court, all class members will be notified of the class certification. How you are notified will vary case to case, but I suspect for this case you'd be notified by signing on to your Yahoo account somehow. You can then decide whether you want to remain as a class member, or opt out.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

mhalley wrote:About the most anyone could get out of this would be a year of worthless credit monitoring. The Internet is not safe, you are going to be hacked at some point. Freeze your credit if you are worried about the hack, get a good password manager and make very strong passwords for all your sites. Change all of your account passwords if you have not already done so.
I believe this to be true. For the OPM breach (which is about as bad as it can get in my eyes), nothing but credit monitoring and a IRS pin number.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

jebmke wrote:I think some lawyer would have to take this on to get a class certified.

What are your damages?
I would think at the very least that the failure to disclose the incident for two years would have prevented Yahoo!'s user from mitigating their actual damages, constituting culpable negligence.

But IANAL and could easily be wrong.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
bberris

Post by bberris »

In general, you "join" a class-action suit by doing nothing. You have to actively opt-out if you don't want to be conscripted. Some time later, after a settlement is reached, you would need to make a claim. You are usually notified through your (hacked!) email address.

As others have said, don't get your hopes up for riches from this, unless you are the lawyer filing the suit.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

smartinwate wrote:
jebmke wrote:I think some lawyer would have to take this on to get a class certified.

What are your damages?
I would think at the very least that the failure to disclose the incident for two years would have prevented Yahoo!'s user from mitigating their actual damages, constituting culpable negligence.

OK, but what are the damages. I'm not a lawyer either but from what I have heard, in order to get something in a lawsuit you have to prove the action resulted in quantifiable damages.
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

A case has been filed: Schwartz v. Yahoo Inc., 16-cv-05456 (N.D. Cal.), was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. You are free to see what damages have been alleged on behalf of the class.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

smartinwate wrote:

What are your damages?

Do we know when they found out about the breach? What if they simply didn't find evidence of a breech until this month? If they did know for 2 years, personally getting a few dollars in a class action suit won't satisfy me being pissed.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

mhalley wrote:About the most anyone could get out of this would be a year of worthless credit monitoring. The Internet is not safe, you are going to be hacked at some point. Freeze your credit if you are worried about the hack, get a good password manager and make very strong passwords for all your sites. Change all of your account passwords if you have not already done so.
But the lawyers will get 50 million or so...

[edit] I got $1.57 in Amazon credit from the eBooks class-action.
Last edited by David Jay on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

you really want damages from a free email account?

just wait. a shyster lawyer will start a class action suit, yahoo will settle but admit nothing, members of the suit will get a buck and a half, and the lawyers will split $10 mil. thats how these frivolous class action suits usually play out.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Not a chance. Everyone who signed up for Yahoo, agreed to a legal process that protects them from law suit beyond their control. They aren't consider to be at fault for this illegal hack.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

miles monroe wrote:you really want damages from a free email account?

just wait. a shyster lawyer will start a class action suit, yahoo will settle but admit nothing, members of the suit will get a buck and a half, and the lawyers will split $10 mil. thats how these frivolous class action suits usually play out.
It is always important to remember that with online providers like Yahoo, Google, etc we are not the customer, we are the product.

Seems to me that Verizon may be the injured party here inasmuch as Yahoo may not have disclosed this issue in a timely way.