Would you buy this house in a flood zone? HELP!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HurdyGurdy

Re: Would you buy this house in a flood zone? HELP!

Post by HurdyGurdy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:39 pm

If it's a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt_house, very high, why not?

leonard

Post by leonard » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

whomever wrote:
Many houses are in locations that simply aren't going to flood.
Two counterpoints:

1)When our apartment flooded, it wasn't rising water from a creek or whatever; we were actually on a slight hill, miles from the nearest creek. A monster thunderstorm parked over us and dumped 7.5 inches of rain in 2.5 hours. If you've never seen something like that, it's not like any rain you've ever seen.

It was enough that water accumulated in the flattish back yard and flowed into the 36 inch deep window wells (out apartment was one of the bottom units in a four-plex - what you'd call a daylight basement). At about the time the water filled the window wells the pressure broke the windows and filled the apartment about 2 feet deep. This was sage brush country in Cheyenne, WY.

Lots of other places that you'd have bet good money would never flood flooded even worse than that. 7.5 inches of rain in 2.5 hours changes the rules.

2)A current neighbor, halfway up a steep hill, had their basement flood from a collapsed sewer. IIRC, the main sewer line collapsed or was blocked just downstream from them, and as the neighborhood flushed/ran the washer/showered it ran down the pipes and then backwards up their sewer, overflowing into their basement. At least in our homeowners policy, that counts as a flood and isn't covered w/o a flood policy.

All that said, we don't carry flood insurance. No window wells on the current house, higher from the sewer than neighbors, well up a hill. We may regret it someday, but we're gambling.

But floods can happen i the darndest places :-(
It would need to be a species level event causing a flood of my house. In which case, there'd be bigger things to worry about.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

happymob

Post by happymob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:49 am

Make sure you understand what is meant by flood and what flood insurance will and will not cover. Our story -

We bought a house in a flood plain in 2006. The sellers told us at the time that the house hadn't flooded since 1985. This was consistent with how other people in town defined flood. What we were not told is that with far greater frequency (every few years) the river rose, cut off the neighborhood for a day or so, and everyone got water in their basements. Despite the effort to move things up before the flooding and cleanup afterward, these weren't floods. And flood insurance wouldn't cover anything in the basement anyway. So over the next 4 years, we got 5 feet of water in our basement (this one also washed out anything you had on the ground outside the house) and 2 feet of water in two separate events that I would call flooding, but technically, I guess, wasn't.

We don't regret buying the house in the flood plain, but if we lived in that particular town again, we wouldn't buy a house in that neighborhood again.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am

It would need to be a species level event causing a flood of my house.
To paraphrase Steve Carell from The Office, that's what we (and our neighbor) thought :-)

Heck, that's what the whole town thought. If you've even been to Cheyenne, 'flood country' isn't what comes to mind.

BigSaver

Post by BigSaver » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am

leonard wrote:
BigSaver wrote:P.S. Flood insurance is a wise move regardless of where you live.
I don't understand why this would be true. Many houses are in locations that simply aren't going to flood.
Flooding can occur anywhere for various reasons. See
viewtopic.php?t=197979

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:07 pm

mouses wrote:
Artsdoctor wrote: Clearly, you have never lived through a disaster.
Quite wrong. I was living here during the 1954 flood, and I was living in California when a creek flooded. Both times water got into the respective houses.
Then you are a very hardy soul! The Red Cross could use people like you. :beer

njuser

Post by njuser » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I would not buy in a flood zone.

This is a fun map I use when I am looking at houses https://www.epa.gov/crwu/coastal-storm- ... -utilities

Just put in the address and it will show you where the water goes. Give it a few seconds as it lags a bit.

I have seen some beautiful homes with good prices and when I put the address into this map, I know why.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

BigSaver wrote:
leonard wrote:
BigSaver wrote:P.S. Flood insurance is a wise move regardless of where you live.
I don't understand why this would be true. Many houses are in locations that simply aren't going to flood.
Flooding can occur anywhere for various reasons. See
viewtopic.php?t=197979
On the crest of a hill. the hill slopes down out of my back yard. The creek down below would need to rise about 100 feet - and my research shows nothing of that magnitude has ever happened. And, it's a very small creek.

So, unless a meteor strikes creating a 700 foot wave that comes 100 miles inland, I'll simply choose to self insure as far as flood risk.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Ineed$

Post by Ineed$ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 pm

"Chance favors the prepared mind". I have heard people talk when thinking of moves. They talk about the neighborhood, school district, numbers of bed and bath room and many other things. But I never heard anybody saying how often or when was the last flood.

I guess it's like buying a house on a fault line. "Oh when was the last earthquake and how big was it.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:35 am

Boglemama wrote:Thank you all for your advice and experience! We have opted not to buy the house. The risk of flooding would weigh too heavily on our minds. Thank you!
Good choice!!! :D

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:30 am

alpenglow wrote:
Boglemama wrote:Thank you all for your advice and experience! We have opted not to buy the house. The risk of flooding would weigh too heavily on our minds. Thank you!
Good choice!!! :D
Indeed. When buying a house actually volunteering for potential problems is really unnecessary.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 am

Ineed$ wrote:"Chance favors the prepared mind". I have heard people talk when thinking of moves. They talk about the neighborhood, school district, numbers of bed and bath room and many other things. But I never heard anybody saying how often or when was the last flood.

I guess it's like buying a house on a fault line. "Oh when was the last earthquake and how big was it.
It's much more likely that you will flood than have a bad quake. It's a greater risk for 99% of homeowners, and it speaks to their ability to *ever* be able to resell their home.

NW Pacific Coast is one place due a mega tsunami (Richter 9.0 or greater quake).

Also (and thanks to another poster for this) there is another fault around Memphis, which has shifted before, and that quake will be monumental.

So in many ways it's the quakes that *haven't* happened for a long time that are worse than the ones which have.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:07 am

Eastern Iowa is currently experiencing its 3rd 500 year flood in the last 20 years.

I would steer well clear of a house in a flood plain.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:17 am

Where I have a house in a Flood Zone, you can pay a company to raise the house and put it on a higher foundation for about 8 grand. That is in Virginia.