Chicago Food/Restaurant Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Agrippa

Chicago Food/Restaurant Recommendations

Post by Agrippa »

DW and I are visiting Chicago for a week in early October. We are renting a place in the Near North Side and most of our activities will be around that area and the Loop. I spent a summer in Chicago a few years back but I was living on a grad student budget and didn't get a chance to eat out much. Please feel free to recommend any restaurants/bars/coffee shops/food trucks that we should check out! (Particularly pizza places, we'd like to check out some authentic deep dish...)
Agrippa
centrifuge41

Re: Chicago Food/Restaurant Recommendations

Post by centrifuge41 »

It's always a debate as to what is the best deep dish pizza: there are fans of Lou Malnati's, and Giordano's. Fewer fans of Gino's East. True, Uno's invented deep dish, but the inventors moved on to Lou Malnati's. Debate away!
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Ditka's
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

Agrippa wrote:DW and I are visiting Chicago for a week in early October. We are renting a place in the Near North Side and most of our activities will be around that area and the Loop. I spent a summer in Chicago a few years back but I was living on a grad student budget and didn't get a chance to eat out much. Please feel free to recommend any restaurants/bars/coffee shops/food trucks that we should check out! (Particularly pizza places, we'd like to check out some authentic deep dish...)

Deep Dish - Malnati's
Other Pizza - Pequod's (2207 N Clybourn Ave)
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

As a Boglehead, I have to ask you: what are you willing to spend per person? I can think of more great places to eat at all price points than you'll have be able to visit. Where you're staying, I can think of several places:

Topolobompo - Mexican fine dining, $100-$150 per person, including drinks. This is a Chicago institution - reservations tend to sell out 2 months in advance, so you can try its sister restaurants below
Frontera Grill - it shares a kitchen with Topolobompo. Excellent food, casual environment, but walk-in only. Try and go there for lunch, because the dinner wait can be several hours. $50-$80 per person for dinner. If you cant get in, there's always...
Xoco - Tortas, caldos, and some of the best churros you'll ever have. Very casual, $15-$30 per person.
The Purple Pig - tapas & wine bar, extremely busy, $50-$100 per person depending on how much you eat (and drink).
Naha/Brindille - Outstanding fine dining restaurant; Naha is more Mediterranean, Brindille is Provencal. $100-$150.
David Burke Primehouse - $100-$150. One of the best steakhouses you'll ever find. All meat dry-aged on premises - ask for a tour of their salt locker.
Bavette's Bar & Boef - $100-$150. Ostensibly another steakhouse, but really they occupy only about 1/3 of the menu. Get steak if you wish, but their other entrees are really the stars here.

If you can, try and get out to the Randolph Street/Fulton Market area, in the West Loop. That's where some of the best restaurants in the city are located, at all price points. Particularly of note:

Publican Quality Meats - Artisan butcher shop/deli open for breakfast & lunch. Roughly $15-$30 per person
The Publican - a love letter to Oysters, Pork, and Beer - this is quintissential Chicago dining. Roughly $50-75 per person, including drinks.
Blackbird - Unpretentious fine dining. Roughly $120 per person, including drinks
Girl & the Goat - Top Chef winner that more than lives up to her billing. Small plates, $60-$100 depending on what (and how much) you order. I recommend the crispy pig face, and if you've got 5 or more people, the roasted goat shoulder.
The Little Goat Diner - The casual little sister to G&TG above, $20-40. Look for the blue plate specials, which are often testbeds for the main restaurant.
Graham Elliot Bistro - Another modern American celeb chef spot, $75-$125
Nellcote - small plates, excellent fresh pastas, $60-100. Definitely order the bolognese.
The Aviary - High end cockatil bar, with an amazing snack menu. Drinks start at around $25, and they're well worth it. Go for the standing-room tables at the front, so you can watch them prepare your drinks. Food starts at around $20, and features retired items from Alinea (their 3-Michelin starred flagship). Black Truffle Explosion if you're lucky; otherwise, make sure you get the pork rinds. Seriously - you've never had pork rinds like theirs.
Ramen Takeya - specializes in chicken broth, it's my second-favorite Ramen spot in Chicago (#1 is their sister restaurant, Wasabi, located way to the north and west of where you'll be).
Cemitas Puebla - Mexican sandwiches, $15-30.
Piccolo Sogno - $50-$100. Northern Italian - my favorite in the city.
Last edited by Independent George on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I just visited a couple of months ago for about a week.

I preferred Gino's East to Giordanos (a lot). Did not get a chance to try Lou Malnatis. There's only so much Pizza you can eat in a week.

My big regret is not going to Alinea when I had the chance to grab a reservation. I have heard nothing but great things if your into that sort of fine dining type of scene (which I like to do every once in a blue moon).
Independent George

Also, I'll echo Malnati's and Pequod's as the best deep dish in the city. Malnati's has the delicious butter crust, Pequod's has the carmelized onions... they're both very different, but outstanding in their own ways.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Eataly on Ohio Street. Good Italian food and wine in unpretentious, casual and fun setting.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Lou Malnati's.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

Take the blue line to Wicker Park (Damen stop). Piece, Chop Shop, Furious Spoon, and several great bakeries/creameries out there for dessert. All within walking distance. All easily under $30/plate.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Ditka's
Yes, Ditka's! Get the ribs! Yum!

Post by 123 »

jdb wrote:Eataly on Ohio Street. Good Italian food and wine in unpretentious, casual and fun setting.
+1 We were introduced to Eataly this summer. I think it's more for lunch then dinner but to each his own. Chicago's is one site of a world-wide chain. The name "Eataly" is a play on "Italy".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Hoosier Mamma Pie Company
Joe's Stone Crabs
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'll echo pretty much everything Independent George said, as his list is downright exceptional. I'd put particular emphasis on Topolombompo, David Burke's Primehouse, The Publican, Girl and the Goat, and Cemitas Pueblas. I'll add a couple more as well (all prices are for two):

Hopleaf: Gastropub with well over a hundred beers on draft. Get the mussels. Casual, $40-70 depending on how many beers you "sample"
Heaven on Seven: Best cajun outside of NOLA. Go to the original on State Street, which is on the 7th floor (hence the name) of a completely nondescript office building. $30-50
Pub Royale: Indian small dishes in a casual pub setting, also with a great beer list. $50-100
Dos Urban Cantina: Amazing modern Mexican food; restaurant owned by a married couple formerly Chef De Cuisine/Pastry Chef at Topolombompo. $70-130
Smith and Wollensky: The food is the same as any other S&W in any city, but the location on the river is beautiful, especially on a summer afternoon for lunch. $50-80 for lunch, $90-150 for dinner
Gibsons/Hugo's Frog Bar: Not the best piece of meat you'll find (that's at Primehouse), but the best preparation in the city. One of the very few places I'll order Pittsburgh style (Black and Blue), which comes out perfect every time. Get the peppercorn crust. $150-250. Hugo's has more items on the menu, but the steaks are the same.
Signature Room: Go here for the views, not for the food, which is decent but not outstanding. $40 for lunch buffet, $150-300 for dinner.
Kuma's Corner: Loud metal music, metal-band-themed burgers, and great beer. $40-60

Bars:
Redhead: best piano bar I've ever found. Go when Stu is playing if you can. No food served, drink $$ is totally up to you
Pops for Champagne: Upscale but casual bar with a far deeper selection of Champagne and sparkling wine than most high-end restaurants have of all wines combined. Live jazz most evenings.
Andy's: Legendary Chicago Jazz bar.
Rock-Bottom: Great location of a mediocre chain. Gorgeous rooftop bar.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Thin crust pepperoni pizza at Pizano's.....Michigan Avenue and East Madison (across from Grant Park).....get the butter crust on your pie.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Hulahoop60

Post by Hulahoop60 »

We recently ate at Au Cheval, and had the "best burger in America" per the Food Network and many who visit the restaurant. There can be up to a 3 hour wait, but lots of great bars in the area to kill the time. It's a very small pub, but very popular. If you show up at around 5:00 pm on a weeknight, the wait is about an hour. Girl and the Goat is another popular restaurant in that area. The pig face is a must have. I also like Lou Malnati's on N. State St for deep dish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/top-5- ... rants.html
Last edited by Hulahoop60 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Grew up in Chicago area. My favorite food there is Italian beef. Portillos.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

LTHFORUM"S Great Neighborhood Restaurants
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.ph ... c45d8ea02a

There is a map showing locations at the site.
logos

Post by logos »

I would second The Publican - cool place, interesting food.
Topic Author
Agrippa

Post by Agrippa »

OP here. Wow, amazing recommendations, everybody! Looks like we'll have no shortage of options to choose from.

As for price - no set budget, but we'll probably try to keep it under $50 per person for dinner. We will probably splurge one night at somewhere more expensive, though!
Agrippa
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

FreeAtLast wrote:Thin crust pepperoni pizza at Pizano's.....Michigan Avenue and East Madison (across from Grant Park).....get the butter crust on your pie.
Owned by Rudy Malnati, son of the other Malnati who is known for slinging some pie. Also owns Rudy's Bar and Grill next door, which has very good burgers.
Agrippa wrote:OP here. Wow, amazing recommendations, everybody! Looks like we'll have no shortage of options to choose from.
Of that there is no doubt. Chicago is one of the great food cities in the US. You can quite easily feed yourself well, at just about any price level.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

emoore wrote:Grew up in Chicago area. My favorite food there is Italian beef. Portillos.
You misspelled "Al's". :-)
matjen

Post by matjen »

moghopper wrote:
emoore wrote:Grew up in Chicago area. My favorite food there is Italian beef. Portillos.
You both misspelled "Johnnie's"!!!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
uclalee

Post by uclalee »

Purple pig, Girl and the goat

I didn't like Topolobambo. I thought it was trying too hard to make Mexican food fancy (which, to me, isn't supposed to be). Frontera Grill tasted better and was gentler on the wallet.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

matjen wrote:
moghopper wrote:
You both misspelled "Johnnie's"!!!
This is starting to border on a religious debate. :) Haven't had Johnnie's, but not a fan of Al's at all, personally. Portillo's is the easy choice when I have people in from out of town, because they're all over the place (I live/work in the burbs).

My top pick for Italian Beef would be Fabulous Freddie's on 31st and Union. Even better than the beef is their Char Chicken on Garlic Bread with mozz and red sauce. But go there for lunch, because Bridgeport, while not too bad on its own, is surrounded by some pretty shady areas.
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

Excellent suggestions above, and you cannot go wrong with almost any of them. I could add 50 more in the River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast area, but you really cannot go wrong with the above suggestions. I write for two reasons: If you want deep dish pizza, do not go to Giordano's. The lines are long and filled with (respectfully, clueless) tourists, and the pizza is actually stuffed and not deep dish. And not any good at all. Gino's East is the best, though I concede my opinion on that is in the minority, but you cannot go wrong with Lou Malnati's. Both have a few locations in the area where you will be staying. Second, you should also try the Italian Beef at either Al's or Portillo's (both located in River North) and skip Johnnie's--which I think is not in the location you are staying in.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Independent George wrote:As a Boglehead, I have to ask you: what are you willing to spend per person? I can think of more great places to eat at all price points than you'll have be able to visit. Where you're staying, I can think of several places:

Topolobompo - Mexican fine dining, $100-$150 per person, including drinks. This is a Chicago institution - reservations tend to sell out 2 months in advance, so you can try its sister restaurants below
Frontera Grill - it shares a kitchen with Topolobompo. Excellent food, casual environment, but walk-in only. Try and go there for lunch, because the dinner wait can be several hours. $50-$80 per person for dinner. If you cant get in, there's always...
Xoco - Tortas, caldos, and some of the best churros you'll ever have. Very casual, $15-$30 per person.
The Purple Pig - tapas & wine bar, extremely busy, $50-$100 per person depending on how much you eat (and drink).
Naha/Brindille - Outstanding fine dining restaurant; Naha is more Mediterranean, Brindille is Provencal. $100-$150.
David Burke Primehouse - $100-$150. One of the best steakhouses you'll ever find. All meat dry-aged on premises - ask for a tour of their salt locker.
Bavette's Bar & Boef - $100-$150. Ostensibly another steakhouse, but really they occupy only about 1/3 of the menu. Get steak if you wish, but their other entrees are really the stars here.

If you can, try and get out to the Randolph Street/Fulton Market area, in the West Loop. That's where some of the best restaurants in the city are located, at all price points. Particularly of note:

Publican Quality Meats - Artisan butcher shop/deli open for breakfast & lunch. Roughly $15-$30 per person
The Publican - a love letter to Oysters, Pork, and Beer - this is quintissential Chicago dining. Roughly $50-75 per person, including drinks.
Blackbird - Unpretentious fine dining. Roughly $120 per person, including drinks
Girl & the Goat - Top Chef winner that more than lives up to her billing. Small plates, $60-$100 depending on what (and how much) you order. I recommend the crispy pig face, and if you've got 5 or more people, the roasted goat shoulder.
The Little Goat Diner - The casual little sister to G&TG above, $20-40. Look for the blue plate specials, which are often testbeds for the main restaurant.
Nellcote - small plates, excellent fresh pastas, $60-100. Definitely order the bolognese.
The Aviary - High end cockatil bar, with an amazing snack menu. Drinks start at around $25, and they're well worth it. Go for the standing-room tables at the front, so you can watch them prepare your drinks. Food starts at around $20, and features retired items from Alinea (their 3-Michelin starred flagship). Black Truffle Explosion if you're lucky; otherwise, make sure you get the pork rinds. Seriously - you've never had pork rinds like theirs.
Ramen Takeya - specializes in chicken broth, it's my second-favorite Ramen spot in Chicago (#1 is their sister restaurant, Wasabi, located way to the north and west of where you'll be).

I am a Chicago native and will admit that I rolled my eyes looking at this list. Do locals actually go to these places or do they mostly attract tourists and high-end 'foodie' types? For example, $100-$150 per person on Mexican food seems a bit out there in Chicago, when there are great places (IMO) for much less in places like 18th street that would be more interesting to explore.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Pacman wrote:
Independent George wrote:As a Boglehead, I have to ask you: what are you willing to spend per person? I can think of more great places to eat at all price points than you'll have be able to visit. Where you're staying, I can think of several places:

I am a Chicago native and will admit that I rolled my eyes looking at this list. Do locals actually go to these places or do they mostly attract tourists and high-end 'foodie' types? For example, $100-$150 per person on Mexican food seems a bit out there in Chicago, when there are great places (IMO) for much less in places like 18th street that would be more interesting to explore.
Its a status thing. From what ive seen over the years people believe the bigger the price tag the better the food. Even if the food is mediocre they've already been conditioned to think its great. Same goes for those who "love" expensive wine. Each time a test is done (tests where they empty a bottle of expensive wine and fill it with cheap wine.) Just by showing the person the bottle and telling them how much it costs they will tell you how amazing the cheap wine tastes. Its all a sham.
matjen

Post by matjen »

ponyboy wrote: Its a status thing. From what ive seen over the years people believe the bigger the price tag the better the food. Even if the food is mediocre they've already been conditioned to think its great. Same goes for those who "love" expensive wine. Each time a test is done (tests where they empty a bottle of expensive wine and fill it with cheap wine.) Just by showing the person the bottle and telling them how much it costs they will tell you how amazing the cheap wine tastes. Its all a sham.
Solid list Independent George. Don't let the frugal BH forum get you down! OP, to satisfy ponyboy*, I would suggest going to the Jewel at 550 N. State and picking up a rotisserie chicken for $6. On Monday's you can get mix and matched pieces (fried, baked, various spices) and for $4 extra you can add two large sides. :wink:

*I do agree that the world of expensive wine is very suspect and there have been multiple blind tests confirming that. Restaurants are a different beast though. Many, many more variables.
Independent George

If you're willing to take a cab/Uber trip, there are some really great, casual places out in the neighborhoods in the $50 range. My list is a bit Lakeview-centric because that's where I live, but I've tried to give you a decent selection.

Lakeview (North side, near Wrigley Field):
Beef Shack (Belmont & Sheffield - annoyingly, the website doesn't post their address): $8-$15, my favorite Italian beef in the city. Ask for the garlic, no cheese - it's not on the menu, but it's excellent. Cheese has no place on Italian beef, but the garlic dip works so incredibly well with it.
Chilam Balam (3023 N Broadway): $20-$50 - BYOB Mexican small plates.
Tango Sur (3763 N Southport): $30-$50 - Argentine steakhouse. Astounding value, but tends to get crowded.
Andy's Thai Kitchen: $20-$40 - authentic, creative Thai food. Get the crispy rice salad if they have it.

Wicker Park (Trendy area on the north side, just south and west of Lakeview)
Hot Chocolate (1747 N Damen): $30-$50 - Underrated dinner menu overshadowed by amazing desserts from a James Beard award winning pastry chef. Buy a bag of the hot chocolate to take home.
Big Star (1531 N Damen): $15-$40 - awesome outdoor taco joint with excellent drinks, but tends to get loud and crowded. I love the food, but now that I'm old and crotchety, I've come to hate the atmosphere.
Trencherman (2039 W North Ave): $30-$50 - great food & drinks in a gorgeous dining room

Logan Square (gentrifying hipster neighborhood, way out in the northwest side of the city)
Wasabi (2115 N Milwaukee) - $20-$40 - The BEST Ramen I've had outside of NYC. Order the Tonkotsu ramen and thank me later.
Longman & Eagle (2657 N Kedzie): $30-$50, Excellent gastropub fare, amazing drinks.

Other:
The Green Mill (4802 N Broadway): relaxed, historic bar/lounge with live jazz every night. It's a very Chicago experience
Hoosier Mama Pie Company (1618.5 W Chicago Ave): Exactly what it sounds like. They have pie flights on Fridays. Tiny location - you might not be able to eat in, but you can always take it back to your lodgings)
Revival Food Hall (125 S Clark St): Fancy-pants food court. It's nice if you're in the Loop, but probably not worth a trip otherwise.
http://www.honeybutter.com/ (3361 N Elston): $15-$30 - Really good fried chicken. I have other favorite chicken joints around the city, but I'm recommending this one because they actually have seating to dine in.

Expensive Splurge-worthy places:
North Pond (2610 N Cannon Drive): $100-$150, Excellent food in a gorgeous location out in Lincoln Park.
El Ideas (2419 W 14th St): Expensive ($183 per person, including 18% gratuity) BYOB out in the middle of nowhere, but an amazing experience. Guests are invited to walk around the open kitchen, take pictures and talk to the staff while the chefs prepare your (astonishingly good) food. Tasting menu only, so make sure they know of any allergies/restrictions when you book. Bring a bottle of bourbon to share with the staff if you want to be really popular.
Elizabeth (4835 N Western Ave Unit D): ~$150 - I have to admit I haven't been here yet, but I'm throwing it out here because I've heard nothing but raves from people I trust. Similar setup to El Ideas above (but in a much nicer neighborhood) - it's a small, intimate location with a lot of interaction with the staff.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Independent George wrote:If you're willing to take a cab/Uber trip, there are some really great, casual places out in the neighborhoods in the $50 range. My list is a bit Lakeview-centric because that's where I live, but I've tried to give you a decent selection.

Lakeview (North side, near Wrigley Field):
Beef Shack (Belmont & Sheffield - annoyingly, the website doesn't post their address): $8-$15, my favorite Italian beef in the city. Ask for the garlic, no cheese - it's not on the menu, but it's excellent. Cheese has no place on Italian beef, but the garlic dip works so incredibly well with it.
Chilam Balam (3023 N Broadway): $20-$50 - BYOB Mexican small plates.
Tango Sur (3763 N Southport): $30-$50 - Argentine steakhouse. Astounding value, but tends to get crowded.
Andy's Thai Kitchen: $20-$40 - authentic, creative Thai food. Get the crispy rice salad if they have it.

Wicker Park (Trendy area on the north side, just south and west of Lakeview)
Hot Chocolate (1747 N Damen): $30-$50 - Underrated dinner menu overshadowed by amazing desserts from a James Beard award winning pastry chef. Buy a bag of the hot chocolate to take home.
Big Star (1531 N Damen): $15-$40 - awesome outdoor taco joint with excellent drinks, but tends to get loud and crowded. I love the food, but now that I'm old and crotchety, I've come to hate the atmosphere.
Trencherman (2039 W North Ave): $30-$50 - great food & drinks in a gorgeous dining room

Logan Square (gentrifying hipster neighborhood, way out in the northwest side of the city)
Wasabi (2115 N Milwaukee) - $20-$40 - The BEST Ramen I've had outside of NYC. Order the Tonkotsu ramen and thank me later.
Longman & Eagle (2657 N Kedzie): $30-$50, Excellent gastropub fare, amazing drinks.

Other:
The Green Mill (4802 N Broadway): relaxed, historic bar/lounge with live jazz every night. It's a very Chicago experience
Hoosier Mama Pie Company (1618.5 W Chicago Ave): Exactly what it sounds like. They have pie flights on Fridays. Tiny location - you might not be able to eat in, but you can always take it back to your lodgings)
Revival Food Hall (125 S Clark St): Fancy-pants food court. It's nice if you're in the Loop, but probably not worth a trip otherwise.
http://www.honeybutter.com/ (3361 N Elston): $15-$30 - Really good fried chicken. I have other favorite chicken joints around the city, but I'm recommending this one because they actually have seating to dine in.

Expensive Splurge-worthy places:
North Pond (2610 N Cannon Drive): $100-$150, Excellent food in a gorgeous location out in Lincoln Park.
El Ideas (2419 W 14th St): Expensive ($183 per person, including 18% gratuity) BYOB out in the middle of nowhere, but an amazing experience. Guests are invited to walk around the open kitchen, take pictures and talk to the staff while the chefs prepare your (astonishingly good) food. Tasting menu only, so make sure they know of any allergies/restrictions when you book. Bring a bottle of bourbon to share with the staff if you want to be really popular.
Elizabeth (4835 N Western Ave Unit D): ~$150 - I have to admit I haven't been here yet, but I'm throwing it out here because I've heard nothing but raves from people I trust. Similar setup to El Ideas above (but in a much nicer neighborhood) - it's a small, intimate location with a lot of interaction with the staff.

Also solid IMO. I would strongly suggest Yusho in Logan Square for funky street Japanese food, Mott St. on Ashland for interesting Asian with a hip vibe, and my favorite wine bar with a great menu...Rootstock in Humboldt Park. Also, for a great patio scene try Parsons Chicken & Fish in Logan Square. These will all require Uber/cab.
Last edited by matjen on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Pacman wrote:I am a Chicago native and will admit that I rolled my eyes looking at this list. Do locals actually go to these places or do they mostly attract tourists and high-end 'foodie' types? For example, $100-$150 per person on Mexican food seems a bit out there in Chicago, when there are great places (IMO) for much less in places like 18th street that would be more interesting to explore.

You will find that many of the restaurants that are mentioned above are quite busy nearly every night. A good number of people - whether foodies or not - eat out every night and are willing to spend a significant portion of their income on food. I would question some of the prices that have been posted. I have eaten at several of the non-steakhouse restaurants posted and paid quite a bit less BUT I don't drink and that helps.

Over on LTH Forum which focuses on the Chicago culinary scene, you will find hundreds of restaurants where you can have a nice meal for $10-20 plus beverages. You do NOT have to spend all that much in Chicago to get a well prepared meal. However, you do have to do your homework and be readt to travel "off the beaten path" away from the touristy locales to find them.

Most of these places are fairly reasonable:
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread

I lived in the Chicago suburbs for about 15 years and generally traveled into the city 3-4 per month to meet up with my foodie friends. The most that I spent on a meal was $75 although I was offered a couple meals for $200-250 when people had "extra seats" in their reservations. MOSt of my meals were under $20 with about 1/3 of those under $10.

Places known for reasonable but excellent meals:

Chinatown
Argyle Street - Chinese-Vietnamese
Devon St/E. Schaumburg Rd - indian

Even in the "fine dining" segment, there are affordable options. Kendall College and the Art Institute of Illinois have culinary programs and run student-run restaurants year round. They are not available in the $20 or less segment but they are about half of what you normally will pay.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

jlawrence01 wrote:
Pacman wrote:I am a Chicago native and will admit that I rolled my eyes looking at this list. Do locals actually go to these places or do they mostly attract tourists and high-end 'foodie' types? For example, $100-$150 per person on Mexican food seems a bit out there in Chicago, when there are great places (IMO) for much less in places like 18th street that would be more interesting to explore.

You will find that many of the restaurants that are mentioned above are quite busy nearly every night. A good number of people - whether foodies or not - eat out every night and are willing to spend a significant portion of their income on food. I would question some of the prices that have been posted. I have eaten at several of the non-steakhouse restaurants posted and paid quite a bit less BUT I don't drink and that helps.

Over on LTH Forum which focuses on the Chicago culinary scene, you will find hundreds of restaurants where you can have a nice meal for $10-20 plus beverages. You do NOT have to spend all that much in Chicago to get a well prepared meal. However, you do have to do your homework and be readt to travel "off the beaten path" away from the touristy locales to find them.

Most of these places are fairly reasonable:
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread

I lived in the Chicago suburbs for about 15 years and generally traveled into the city 3-4 per month to meet up with my foodie friends. The most that I spent on a meal was $75 although I was offered a couple meals for $200-250 when people had "extra seats" in their reservations. MOSt of my meals were under $20 with about 1/3 of those under $10.

Places known for reasonable but excellent meals:

Chinatown
Argyle Street - Chinese-Vietnamese
Devon St/E. Schaumburg Rd - indian

Even in the "fine dining" segment, there are affordable options. Kendall College and the Art Institute of Illinois have culinary programs and run student-run restaurants year round. They are not available in the $20 or less segment but they are about half of what you normally will pay.
Makes sense. By the way, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. I looked at the menu of one of the restaurants and saw food that looked more decorative than anything and was confused. I think I'm just getting old. :-(
Independent George

ponyboy wrote:Its a status thing. From what ive seen over the years people believe the bigger the price tag the better the food. Even if the food is mediocre they've already been conditioned to think its great. Same goes for those who "love" expensive wine. Each time a test is done (tests where they empty a bottle of expensive wine and fill it with cheap wine.) Just by showing the person the bottle and telling them how much it costs they will tell you how amazing the cheap wine tastes. Its all a sham.
Everybody gets to splurge on different things, and if I enjoy eating, who are you to condescend to me about it? Yes, there are snooty diners who just to show off, just as there is with art, cars, cigars, gardening, guns, music, etc. That doesn't mean that's all there is to it, or that this is the only thing the people who eat there care about. If you're not interested, then that's your right, and it's also in your right to disagree with me. But who the hell are you to insult me like that?

As to the Mexican food - are you under the impression that there is no such thing as fine dining in Mexico? Do you picture Carlos Slim lining up for a taco out on the corner? That's basically the equivalent of limiting Italian food is all pasta & red sauce, or German food to beer and sausages. Places like Topolobombo get recommended specifically to get people out of that mindset, and to give people the chance to experience something outside of what they're used to. It's all about choices - if people make different ones from yours, that's their right.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Independent George wrote:As to the Mexican food - are you under the impression that there is no such thing as fine dining in Mexico? Do you picture Carlos Slim lining up for a taco out on the corner? That's basically the equivalent of limiting Italian food is all pasta & red sauce, or German food to beer and sausages. Places like Topolobombo get recommended specifically to get people out of that mindset, and to give people the chance to experience something outside of what they're used to. It's all about choices - if people make different ones from yours, that's their right.

In my time in Chicago, I met a good number of the fine dining chefs and restaurant entrepreneurs including a couple of chefs from an upscale Mexican restaurant that has been named a few times in this thread.

After a cooking demonstration where they prepared several moles, one chef gave me a copy of his mother's special mole recipe. It was four pages long and contained no less than 28 ingredients. Of the 28 ingredients, eight would take some serious shopping in Chicago to find. My rough estimate was that it would take me about 12-14 hours to prepare this mole recipe in my own kitchen (and I have worked in commercial kitchens for 12 years).

By the way, as you might know, there are about 16 different types of Mexican cooking correlating roughly to the different states of Mexico.

Honestly, I would have no problem spending the $$$ to go to Topolobombo and the like an enjoying the meal. But I would add that on my next trip, I plan to stop at a Mexican restaurant that specializes in goat tacos and goat stew that is a mile or two north of Midway Airport.
Independent George

jlawrence01 wrote:Honestly, I would have no problem spending the $$$ to go to Topolobombo and the like an enjoying the meal. But I would add that on my next trip, I plan to stop at a Mexican restaurant that specializes in goat tacos and goat stew that is a mile or two north of Midway Airport.
This place, I presume? I've been there multiple times; it's also now an annual tradition for me when family comes to visit. I thought about listing it in this thread, but it's so far out of the way, and so specialized, that I wasn't sure it made sense.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Independent George wrote: This place, I presume? I've been there multiple times; it's also now an annual tradition for me when family comes to visit. I thought about listing it in this thread, but it's so far out of the way, and so specialized, that I wasn't sure it made sense.
Well that looks delicious. Must give it a try. Here is where I go for Mexican goat though I honestly haven't been there in more than a year. I get my Haitian goat up north near the border with Evanston.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/birreria-reyes ... an-chicago
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Independent George wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:Honestly, I would have no problem spending the $$$ to go to Topolobombo and the like an enjoying the meal. But I would add that on my next trip, I plan to stop at a Mexican restaurant that specializes in goat tacos and goat stew that is a mile or two north of Midway Airport.
This place, I presume? I've been there multiple times; it's also now an annual tradition for me when family comes to visit. I thought about listing it in this thread, but it's so far out of the way, and so specialized, that I wasn't sure it made sense.

That is correct. When I fly into Chicago-Midway, I generally pick up the car at Archer Heights (Hertz) and stop at a local place usually Chuck's Southern Comfort Cafe or one of the local eateries along S. Cicero. I have been wanting to hit Birrieria Zaragoza for ages but my wife will NOT try goat in any form.

http://chuckscafeburbank.com/
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Weber Grill at Grand and State has a good early morning
breakfast buffet for $15. Portillo's is on Clark and Ontario
for lunch. Right across the street Hard Rock Cafe for dinner.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
insuredbyme

Post by insuredbyme »

Alinea in Chicago. They take no reservations or walk ins. You purchase tickets. 3 categories: 6 Guests $385 per, 2-4 Guests $295-$345 and finally 1-6 Guests $175-$225 It is a once in a lifetime experience. they are booked up usually 3 months in advance. Go to the website and check it out. https://www.alinearestaurant.com/
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I left Chicago yesterday 8-)

I'm not a fan of snobby, "fancy" food, and I would never spend $100 on a meal, so take my short list for what it is.

Pizza: giordonaos, Lou's, pequods (in that order)

Italian beef: Al's

Hot dogs: gene & Jude's
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

nanoanalyzer wrote:Take the blue line to Wicker Park (Damen stop). Piece, Chop Shop, Furious Spoon, and several great bakeries/creameries out there for dessert. All within walking distance. All easily under $30/plate.
I think that walking this area is fun and there are a ton of restaurants and bars. The main streets are Damen, Division and Milwaukee. Division has wide sidewalks where most bars/restaurants have good outdoor seating (most areas you are sitting next to buses whizzing by) which should be open at the beginning of October. Xoco in Wicker Park is a Rick Bayless restaurant and is really good (the River North location is much more limited).

The West Loop also has a ton of bars and restaurants. The Girl and the Goat, Duck Duck Goat, and Au Chauval have been mentioned.

I find River North, the West Loop and Wicker Park to be the best dining areas. Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the other neighborhoods are fine, but not as many good choices.

I really like the Purple Pig. I like Mon Ami Gabi in Lincoln Park (right by the zoo).

Restoration Hardware (near North) has a limited menu, but the restaurant (and store) are beautiful. They spent millions restoring the building.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

j0nnyg1984 wrote:I left Chicago yesterday 8-)

Hot dogs: gene & Jude's

I figured Gene and Jude's was too far out, but if the OP has a chance to get there, GO!
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

DW and I are visiting Chicago for a week in early October. We are renting a place in the Near North Side and most of our activities will be around that area and the Loop. I spent a summer in Chicago a few years back but I was living on a grad student budget and didn't get a chance to eat out much. Please feel free to recommend any restaurants/bars/coffee shops/food trucks that we should check out! (Particularly pizza places, we'd like to check out some authentic deep dish...)
As noted above, the choices are many. There's a list of the newer and/or trendier places, like those Independent George and others have referenced. There's a list of neighborhood spots as many others have referenced but would require some travel. There are all the price points, from $5 to $500 per person. For a tourist, I would recommend a mix of some classic Chicago experiences and the more buzzworthy spots.

To start, get a Chicago hot dog / Maxwell Street Polish / Italian Beef sandwich, or try all three if your heart can take it. You really can't get those anywhere else in the world quite the same way. Different bread/buns, different condiments, different spices used--it's just not the same. Portillo's is a good choice for all of them. Other storefront places (e.g., UB Dogs on Franklin) will probably be just as good. These are unique variations of food that has been served here for generations and to me it is part of the Chicago experience (some would argue that a Chicago-style tamale is also on that list).

Of course, Chicago-style pizza is also a given, and any of the places recommended above would work.

There are quite a few Chicago restaurant institutions--Manny's Deli on S. Jefferson Street, Lou Mitchell's on W. Jackson, The Berghoff on Adams, Billy Goat on lower Michigan Ave--that will give you a flavor of what working class and ethnic Chicago was like 50 or 60 years ago, before it became the "foodie" town it is now. I would recommend any of them for a classic Chicago experience, and all are low cost. Harold's is also a Chicago institution for fried chicken/soul food. They have a location in the South Loop, and are all over the South Side.

For music, the same concept applies. The Green Mill and Andy's, as noted above, are classic Chicago jazz spots, been around forever, never disappoint. For the Blues, I always recommend Kingston Mines on N. Halsted St. Some enjoy Buddy Guy's Legends, but I have found it to be hit-or-miss. On the other hand, Buddy Guy is one of the five most important Blues musicians ever and it's his club, so there's that.

For a dining splurge there are any number of steak places to try. I like Gene & Georgetti (very old school, Frank Sinatra's favorite), Gibson's or Morton's (classic Chicago), Chicago Cut Steakhouse (a great location and very celeb/athlete friendly). For another splurge try one of the spots you'll see on the Food Channel. They are not "quintessential Chicago" and you can find similar restaurants in any city, but the food is generally terrific. I'd start with Independent George's list.

Lastly--early October in Chicago, you simply have to make your way to Wrigley Field. The first game of the playoffs will be on Friday Oct. 7, I believe. That entire neighborhood will be a ridiculously fun, anxious, energetic place to be. Spend some time there before a game and then soak in the atmosphere at any bar in Wrigleyville. If the Cubs do end up winning it all I'd imagine you'll remember being there for a long time. And if they don't, then you can say that you had yet another quintessential Chicago experience......
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
Independent George

Of course, any Boglehead food post requires referencing GMU economist Tyler Cowen's Six Rules for Dining Out.
At fancy and expensive restaurants (say, $50 and up for a dinner), you can follow a simple procedure to choose the best meal. Look at the menu and ask yourself: Which of these items do I least want to order? Or: Which one sounds the least appetizing? Then order that item.

The logic is simple. At a fancy restaurant, the menu is well thought-out. The kitchen’s time and attention are scarce. An item won’t be on the menu unless there is a good reason for its presence. If it sounds bad, it probably tastes especially good.

I also start to worry if many women in a restaurant are beautiful in a trendy or stylish way. The point is not that beautiful women have bad taste in food. Instead, the problem is that they will attract a lot of men to the restaurant, whether or not the place serves excellent food. And that allows the restaurant to cut back on the quality of the food.
theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 »

Au' Cheval in the Loop west of the city. Burgers are very good
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

chicagoan23 wrote: There are quite a few Chicago restaurant institutions--Manny's Deli on S. Jefferson Street, Lou Mitchell's on W. Jackson, The Berghoff on Adams, Billy Goat on lower Michigan Ave--that will give you a flavor of what working class and ethnic Chicago was like 50 or 60 years ago, before it became the "foodie" town it is now. I would recommend any of them for a classic Chicago experience, and all are low cost. Harold's is also a Chicago institution for fried chicken/soul food. They have a location in the South Loop, and are all over the South Side.

For music, the same concept applies. The Green Mill and Andy's, as noted above, are classic Chicago jazz spots, been around forever, never disappoint. For the Blues, I always recommend Kingston Mines on N. Halsted St. Some enjoy Buddy Guy's Legends, but I have found it to be hit-or-miss. On the other hand, Buddy Guy is one of the five most important Blues musicians ever and it's his club, so there's that.

For a dining splurge there are any number of steak places to try. I like Gene & Georgetti (very old school, Frank Sinatra's favorite), Gibson's or Morton's (classic Chicago), Chicago Cut Steakhouse (a great location and very celeb/athlete friendly). For another splurge try one of the spots you'll see on the Food Channel. They are not "quintessential Chicago" and you can find similar restaurants in any city, but the food is generally terrific. I'd start with Independent George's list.

Lastly--early October in Chicago, you simply have to make your way to Wrigley Field. The first game of the playoffs will be on Friday Oct. 7, I believe. That entire neighborhood will be a ridiculously fun, anxious, energetic place to be. Spend some time there before a game and then soak in the atmosphere at any bar in Wrigleyville. If the Cubs do end up winning it all I'd imagine you'll remember being there for a long time. And if they don't, then you can say that you had yet another quintessential Chicago experience......
100% accurate.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Agrippa wrote:DW and I are visiting Chicago for a week in early October. We are renting a place in the Near North Side and most of our activities will be around that area and the Loop. I spent a summer in Chicago a few years back but I was living on a grad student budget and didn't get a chance to eat out much. Please feel free to recommend any restaurants/bars/coffee shops/food trucks that we should check out! (Particularly pizza places, we'd like to check out some authentic deep dish...)
Rather expensive - but I recommend Merlo on Maple for Italian cuisine. For me the food was phenomenal. www.merlochicago.com
Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 »

Frontera is worth every cent. Rick Bayless' Topolo margarita recipe is the absolute best. I make it several times a year.
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity »

Independent George's list made me nostalgic for how we used to eat out before we had kids. Love, love Xoco, Frontera, Bavette's, Girl and the Goat... Piccolo Sogno's outdoor patio makes you feel like you're in Italy (but the location is kind of random)

For a splurge at a place you actually might be able to get reservations at, Oriole is in the West Loop and is phenomenal. (I also love places like Grace and Goosefoot, but good luck getting reservations on short notice)

Someone mentioned Signature Room for overpriced average food but spectacular views. I would recommend instead doing the Signature Lounge for an overpriced average drink with spectacular views. Get there early to get a seat by the window and enjoy the sunset.

And if there's a Cubs playoff game going on, get thee to Wrigleyville. Although you'll need to get there early for a shot at getting into Murphy's or the Cubby Bear.