macOS Sierra

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
in_reality

macOS Sierra

Post by in_reality » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:25 am

Great price $0.00.

Upgraded and no problems so far... (all of 10 minutes)...

Comments?

stan1

Re: macOS Sierra

Post by stan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:49 am

I was happy that the upgrade found and purged about 20GB of system files that I hadn't been able to track down. Admittedly I didn't put a huge amount of effort into it (because I didn't need the storage) but I knew something wasn't right with my El Capitan install because it was supposed to fit on a 64GB machine. Yes it has Siri but typing seems faster than voice with higher accuracy. Siri knows how to open gmail but if you ask her to "open diehards.org website" I get "diapers.org"

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:57 am

I installed it last night. No problems but it made my Macbook Pro run really hot for the first 3 or 4 hours. There is a process that does something with scanning your photos. That upped the CPU usage quite a bit. After the process was done it seems fine so far. The new tools to help you find large files on your drive are really nice. Haven't played with Siri much but I wonder why Apple didn't make it so you could activate her with a voice command. That would be totally Star Trek :happy

Tom
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:13 am

Imageek2 wrote:I installed it last night. No problems but it made my Macbook Pro run really hot for the first 3 or 4 hours. There is a process that does something with scanning your photos. That upped the CPU usage quite a bit. After the process was done it seems fine so far. The new tools to help you find large files on your drive are really nice. Haven't played with Siri much but I wonder why Apple didn't make it so you could activate her with a voice command. That would be totally Star Trek :happy

Tom
That's so it could put all your selfies in one folder. I just bet you have a million and it was working hard to track them all down and get them in the right place for you :sharebeer

I do like the new photo app and think the addition of tabs to most windows will be beneficial too.

Nothing life changing though...

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 am

Sadly my MacBook Pro from 2007 was not invited to the party. :(

But I am really happy that at age 9 it runs El Capitan fine and has no issues. :happy

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro retina running El Capitan. Software updates does not show Sierra. Last update was for Safari browser. Don't know why.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

badger42

Post by badger42 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm waiting for a fix from Fuji before upgrading - right now Sierra isn't compatible with the ScanSnap software.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 pm

While I jumped on getting iOS 10, I'm holding off on upgrading my 2012 Air until the drivers for my printer are fully available. Regardless, good to hear that things are working so far for folks.

Blueman

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 pm

SpringMan wrote:I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro retina running El Capitan. Software updates does not show Sierra. Last update was for Safari browser. Don't know why.
It shows up in the App Store front page for download first. I think they wait a bit to push an offer under Updates to smooth server loads. They already get hammered on release day.

I've been using it since the early developer betas, and it has been very stable for me for a while.

I did get a laugh playing with Siri last night. My system is set to French, but Siri, which I hadn't really played with, had defaulted to English. That worked fine until Siri had a network glitch for several minutes. Failing to reach the server, U.S. English Siri defaulted to reading French errors messages in the worst French I've ever heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiS-xXSxyCc

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

furwut wrote:Sadly my MacBook Pro from 2007 was not invited to the party. :(

But I am really happy that at age 9 it runs El Capitan fine and has no issues. :happy
Ditto my mid-2009 MBP with upgraded RAM and SSD. It's main future replacement may be a Chromebook capable of running Android apps. But as long as the ol' MBP keeps running, I can live without Siri on the menu bar.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

The 500 Mac users in my org were told to absolutely not update to Sierra. It is breaking something, but they haven't told us what (VPN, backups, etc.).

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:27 pm

SpringMan wrote:I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro retina running El Capitan. Software updates does not show Sierra. Last update was for Safari browser. Don't know why.
It never appeared in updates for me either.

Go to App Store --> Featured. You should see it and an option to download it.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I have a Macbook Pro mid-2012 (non-retina) with upgraded RAM (16GB) and SSD (1TB). macOS Sierra runs just fine on it. I don't see any performance degradation. When I upgraded to either Yosemite or El Capitan, the Mac was really busy reindexing or something immediately after upgrade and I couldn't use spotlight search for a few hours. This delay did not happen when I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra. The download was fast. Once downloaded, I think it took around 20-25 minutes to install. After installation, the app store->updates section will show the new versions of Numbers, Pages and Keynote which support realtime collaboration (feature in beta).

No problems printing to my Brother HLL-2360DW after the upgrade.
No problems running vmware fusion 8.5.
Wiki

crg11

Post by crg11 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Most rock solid macOS upgrade yet. So far so good.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:24 pm

I'll wait until the first patch is released.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 am

No problems but it made my Macbook Pro run really hot for the first 3 or 4 hours.
Same experience here so far. Fan is running like mad.

No problems so far in web surfing, but there hasn't been enough time.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Upgraded day after release. No issues.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:24 pm

JeffAL wrote:Upgraded day after release. No issues.
How did your pictures index (in their new system) - or is that a non-concern. Just curious.

Mine seem odd.

If I search for "c", a list will come up of topics "celebration", "chow", "cake" "candle".

If I search for "ca" or "cake" though the result is nothing.

My son doing dishes at boy scouts camp comes up under "alehouse". I had to look and see that the bottles were dish detergent.

"kettle" though bring up my boglehead's icon just as you'd expect.

JeffAL

Post by JeffAL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:12 pm

in_reality wrote:
JeffAL wrote:Upgraded day after release. No issues.
How did your pictures index (in their new system) - or is that a non-concern. Just curious.

Mine seem odd.

If I search for "c", a list will come up of topics "celebration", "chow", "cake" "candle".

If I search for "ca" or "cake" though the result is nothing.

My son doing dishes at boy scouts camp comes up under "alehouse". I had to look and see that the bottles were dish detergent.

"kettle" though bring up my boglehead's icon just as you'd expect.
Mine is a work computer so very few pictures.

daveatca

Post by daveatca » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:37 pm

QuickBooks 2010 is FUBARed.
Oops.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:47 pm

It's normal for the system to seem taxed/fans/hot for a while after an upgrade.

There's a lot of indexing and file rearranging going on. Give it a day or two to sort itself out behind the scenes.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 pm

badger42 wrote:I'm waiting for a fix from Fuji before upgrading - right now Sierra isn't compatible with the ScanSnap software.
I'm glad you posted this. I really want a Fuji scanner, and I also want to upgrade to Sierra. My Mac mini has an SSD inside and I've read that MacOS is optimized for that.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am

I've read on another thread here that Vuescan does a good job of taking care of old scanners on Sierra. They handle drivers for old scanners or something.

Has anyone used Veracrypt, the free encryption software, with Sierra? Does it work ok?

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

linenfort wrote:
badger42 wrote:I'm waiting for a fix from Fuji before upgrading - right now Sierra isn't compatible with the ScanSnap software.
I'm glad you posted this. I really want a Fuji scanner, and I also want to upgrade to Sierra. My Mac mini has an SSD inside and I've read that MacOS is optimized for that.
I've been using Sierra (10.12.6) with my ScanSnap without any problem. The scanner is absolutely the best addition to my office EVER....I scan almost everything and then shred ...You need to set up your documents files so they work for you and with the search function your will be in business. I can't say enough good things about Fujitsu...and no, I am not an employee.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 am

linenfort wrote:Has anyone used Veracrypt, the free encryption software, with Sierra? Does it work ok?
I have been using Veracrypt without any problems.V 1.21

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Thank you both :beer