fax to and from email

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mouses

fax to and from email

Post by mouses »

For years I have happily used maxemail to send several faxes a year to places with no email. I forget exactly what it cost, but something like $15 a year and five cents a page.

Now it is being gobbled up by efax, which wants $90 a year. So I cancelled my account.

In looking for a replacement, there seem to be services that charge about $100 a year or are free. I'm not paying $100, so I wonder if anyone is using the free services and what they think of them?

I cn always go back to postal mail, but it is so slow...

Thanks.
sco

Re: fax to and from email

Post by sco »

Metro fax is $4 per month
sport

Post by sport »

While I have never used it, I believe a standard computer can send FAXs as well as emails.
southbay

Post by southbay »

why not just email?
sco

Post by sco »

sport wrote:While I have never used it, I believe a standard computer can send FAXs as well as emails.
With any old Modem and an analog phone line, yes it can.

The trouble is receiving them, if you intend to use the phone line for something else..
Zott

Post by Zott »

I've occasionally used FaxZero, and them to be reliable. I've never used their paid service.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I use fax zero for occasional free faxing.
Topic Author
mouses

Post by mouses »

mouses wrote:For years I have happily used maxemail to send several faxes a year to places with no email.
southbay wrote:why not just email?
Topic Author
mouses

Post by mouses »

Thanks. I just looked at getting faxing from my laptop to work, and decided not to mess with the installation in case I break something. Fax zero looks like the way to go.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Many business will not accept legal-ish documents by email but some will by fax. Some will only accept them via USmail or in person. I"ve recently experienced this with beneficiary designation forms, where many businesses also don't offer a web option. And before someone says "just don't do business with them", sometimes these are past employers or involve contracts established decades ago.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Most medical providers won't accept emails as far as I can tell (just judging from the ones we use). Many of them are now creating or participating in secure portals that allow you to upload or download documents (e.g. medical history forms).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

I have used Hello fax with no issues. I think it is 9 free pages and then $1 page. I send 1 page faxes maybe once every 2 years. YMMV
"not all storms are in the forecast"
Topic Author
mouses

Post by mouses »

jebmke wrote:Most medical providers won't accept emails as far as I can tell (just judging from the ones we use). Many of them are now creating or participating in secure portals that allow you to upload or download documents (e.g. medical history forms).
I have access to several portals. Some have a built-in email system. Some allow downloading files. None of the ones I use allow uploading files, apparently out of fear of various forms of malware. It's interesting to read that some places are allowing this.
mickroark

Post by mickroark »

Some insurance companies do accept email for financial transactions. They do only USPS mail and fax.