2016 Honda Odyssey - which model?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vv19

2016 Honda Odyssey - which model?

Post by vv19 »

We're planning to buy Honda Odyssey some time year - I know it is a popular choice with BHs here. I wanted to ask the owners here how did they decide on the model. There are 6 models for Odyssey ranging from 30k to 45k. Is the navigation package really worth the extra $2500? The rear entertainment system adds another 2-3 grands. Will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
sport

Re: 2016 Honda Odyssey - which model?

Post by sport »

The advisability of options on any vehicle is pretty much a personal decision. It depends on what is important to you and what you can afford. If an option is "worth it" to you and you can afford it, then buy it. Otherwise, do not.
strafe

Post by strafe »

jay22 wrote:We're planning to buy Honda Odyssey some time year - I know it is a popular choice with BHs here. I wanted to ask the owners here how did they decide on the model. There are 6 models for Odyssey ranging from 30k to 45k. Is the navigation package really worth the extra $2500? The rear entertainment system adds another 2-3 grands. Will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
I believe the EX-L without nav or RES is the volume seller.
bligh

Post by bligh »

2011 Odyssey owner here. Don't pay for the nav or the rear entertainment system man.

Nav:
You have a smartphone? It almost certainly offers offline maps. I know Google Maps on iPhone offers offline maps. Just use your phone. If you don't want to use your phone, you can buy a decent Garmin for like $99 and mount it. Not only is it cheaper, it has the advantage that you can take it with you when you travel.

Rear entertainment system:
Get 2 iPads (depending on the model you can get excellent ones for $400), get seat mounts. put the rest in VTI. 8-)
Not only is it cheaper, it has WAY more functionality, it can have education apps and again your kids can take em out and use them outside the car too.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Just posted a related question myself not too long ago. Since then, I found this:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-minivan/

A great article that made it pretty clear to me that if we don't go with the Pacifica, we'll buy an Odyssey EX. We don't need leather seats or a built-in vacuum, and believe a rear entertainment system can be had for cheaper by providing it ourselves.
Last edited by Loik098 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinanceDad

Post by FinanceDad »

This is certainly personal preference, but when we bought our 2012 Honda Odyssey, we thought the EX-L (no NAV or RES) was the best for us.

We wanted leather, but couldn't see paying extra thousands for some of the other upgrades.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Instead of $2500 for the built-in NAV, go with a Garmin or your smartphones. We take lots of road trips in the US and Canada and find that the Garmin works really well without any concern about cell phone data roaming. Our Garmin cost about $125 and has lifetime map updates and traffic. We use our smart phones and cellular iPad as secondary GPS devices or if we want to view a map with traffic overlay etc.

Others can provide alternatives for the rear entertainment system, perhaps iPads or Kindle Fires. Kindle Fires are really cheap and a great option if you're an amazon prime subscriber.
Wiki
TRC

Post by TRC »

EXL with rear entertainment has been a lifesaver for our family. I disagree that iPads are a better option. iPads die, they require syncing to load movies....they're not as convenient as having a sleeve of DVDs at your disposal and the wireless headphones to boot. We have iPads and kindles...the DVD player is a must if you have little kids and take long trips.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

TRC wrote:EXL with rear entertainment has been a lifesaver for our family. I disagree that iPads are a better option. iPads die, they require syncing to load movies....they're not as convenient as having a sleeve of DVDs at your disposal and the wireless headphones to boot. We have iPads and kindles...the DVD player is a must if you have little kids and take long trips.
Good point about the DVDs. This also opens up the option for using Redbox on a road trip so the kids don't have to watch the same movies. Redbox is great for road trips as you can rent in one location and return the disk at any other redbox anywhere in the country.

Are there any decent third party alternatives for DVD for the rear seats without paying 2-3K for the honda system?
Wiki
Eurookat

Post by Eurookat »

Go with the iPad. I had a portable DVD player in our CR-V and the DVDs would scratch after a month or so. I hate burning DVDs and the skips/pauses pisses my daughter off. Nothing like her screaming for the DVD to play while you're navigating through traffic.

With the iPad the playback is smooth and I don't need to worry about having DVDs available.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

The here.com app allows for full pre-downloading of navigation maps into a smartphone. It is a spin-off of Nokia´s mapping division, and is, in fact the maps used in my car´s built-in navigation system.

The only caution about not buying the navigation system if you will use it, is to take a look at the cell phone usage laws in the jurisdictions you drive through regularly. If the tickets put points on your license, and there are reports of it being heavily enforced, even for questionable violations of the law, consider whether a navigation system would be better. Having been the recipient of a questionable electronic device ticket in NYC, this makes more sense to me now than it would have before receiving the ticket.
FB01

Post by FB01 »

As everyone said, it all depends on the choice. For me my wife will be driving the van so I went with EXL with NAV. With 2 small kids, leather seats and NAV were kind of thing we wanted.

NAV is working fine for us.

-JR
Thanks, | FB
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

We bought a 2016 EX-L with RES for around $31,500 +TTL in the Akron, OH area. Make sure you shop around online.

Baby 3 is coming soon so we wanted the leather for easy clean up. All weather mats are something to consider too.

While I knew the RES was slightly expensive, we felt like we might regret not getting it. It's only been a few months, but I feel it's worth it. For example, yesterday coming home from soccer we had a 30 minute delay because of an accident. No crying/whining at all.

I personally wouldn't pay for the Nav though. We use our smart phones and might even get a GPS this winter. It's all about what you prefer.
TRC

Post by TRC »

It's worth noting that Honda is looking to unload the 2016 Odysseys right now. The 2017 is an expected redesign. We got a really good deal on our 2016 exl with RES in April. The end of September is the end of their q3 as well (i.e. Sales quotas to hit).
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Definitely get power doors; you will not regret it.

We did not get NAV or entertainment. You can use your smart phone for NAV and get 2 tablets for much cheaper. Kids might want to watch different programs anyhow, so a single screen would lead to disagreements.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

bligh wrote:2011 Odyssey owner here. Don't pay for the nav or the rear entertainment system man.

Nav:
You have a smartphone? It almost certainly offers offline maps. I know Google Maps on iPhone offers offline maps. Just use your phone. If you don't want to use your phone, you can buy a decent Garmin for like $99 and mount it. Not only is it cheaper, it has the advantage that you can take it with you when you travel.

Rear entertainment system:
Get 2 iPads (depending on the model you can get excellent ones for $400), get seat mounts. put the rest in VTI. 8-)
Not only is it cheaper, it has WAY more functionality, it can have education apps and again your kids can take em out and use them outside the car too.
Have a 2014 EX-L Odyssey and would agree with this. It does depend on preferences but I have to admit that the Navi system on the Odyssey is probably my least favourite feature of the vehicle. It is awkward, unintuitive and I have yet to get the voice recognition system to function usefully after two years. I consider myself technically inclined. My iPhone 6P and Google maps does a much, much better job. A paper map does a much better job as well. If one had small children, the RES might be a consideration but also agree that iPads or equivalent are a much better and more flexible option at any age above 2.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Has anyone bought the base model, and then ultimately regretted it? I can't imagine anyone buying an EX-L, with all the niceties, and then saying they wished hey hadn't. But I would guess it would apply for those who decided to save money, too.
csc-az

Post by csc-az »

We bought a 2011 Touring model and have loved it. It was the first time we had a NAV or RES in our car, and we don't plan to ever go back. I travel a fair amount so I have experience using phone navigation in rental cars, and I greatly prefer having the larger NAV screen right in the center of the console. I think the convenience of a RES might increase with the number of kids you have. We have four kids and it's easier to grab a pack of DVDs for long road trips than it would be to setup 4 separate tablets with movies (and worry about their power, etc). Plus if you have other passengers (cousins, friends), they can comfortably watch the movie as well.

It's all personal preference, but when we buy our next minivan/SUV/whatever, I expect we'll definitely get a NAV and RES.
dbr

Post by dbr »

When people talk about using iPhone maps in cars, I presume they mean a passenger doing the mapping and not the driver trying to see and interact with that device while trying to control a moving vehicle. I love the iPhone for navigating on foot, but in a car?

Note the offline mapping available in different apps including Google is very helpful. Also, I can't gainsay Garmin.

For myself the neatness and larger size of an installed NAV system is very helpful. I like the larger screen version in the upscale trim levels in my Subaru and would opt for it every time, but it is a personal choice.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

The differences between the EX and the EXL is leather seats, a power liftgate, passive safety features, heated front seats, and a "Cool Box". You don't get a RES with the EXL (if RES is really your thing and you don't need leather, go with the SE...you'll also get a vacuum for your trouble and only spend an extra $1k for both).

For these features you pay an extra $3500. Let's examine:

Honda sells removable, washable car seat covers for both the second and third rows of the Odyssey for about $500. Also, the forward collision and lane departure warnings you get with your upgrade to the EXL are both passive, meaning that the van won't actually turn the steering wheel or apply brakes for you to avert danger. These features are also designed to help a distracted driver, but since neither of us text and drive and we think we do a decent job of keeping our eyes on the road (as parents with children in the car have done for decades without these features), we didn't see the need for them.

If you really want to blow $3500 for leather because occasionally removing far cheaper car seat covers for cleaning is too much work, and you need a built-in cooler, a warm tush and a power lift gate, go ahead. We didn't think it's worth the money.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

We were debating between the Touring and the EX-L. We ended up buying the Touring. The main feature upgrade we wanted on the Touring was the two seat memory. We both drive the car, and we both find it inconvenient to constantly manually readjust the seat position. It takes me a long time of constantly tweaking the seat to find a comfortable position, and once I find it, I prefer the car to remember it. As for the seat warmer with the leather, I find that essential for long trips. For me, it's not about feeling warm, it's about keeping the muscles in my legs and back loose. If I don't use the seat warmer on a long drive, I'll be sore for a week.
dbr

Post by dbr »

CppCoder wrote:We were debating between the Touring and the EX-L. We ended up buying the Touring. The main feature upgrade we wanted on the Touring was the two seat memory. We both drive the car, and we both find it inconvenient to constantly manually readjust the seat position. It takes me a long time of constantly tweaking the seat to find a comfortable position, and once I find it, I prefer the car to remember it. As for the seat warmer with the leather, I find that essential for long trips. For me, it's not about feeling warm, it's about keeping the muscles in my legs and back loose. If I don't use the seat warmer on a long drive, I'll be sore for a week.
Strangely I find seat heating to be so hot I can't stand it except for a short while on the coldest mornings (ie below 0F). Other people I know use it all the time. You have found a helpful benefit for yourself.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

When we bought an Odyssey in 2014, we went with the EX model. The LX model was too Spartan for our taste. If we had wanted leather, we would have gone for the EX-L but my wife likes cloth interior. I don't really want entertainment or navigation systems built in. I like to keep vehicles a long time and the technology changes quickly. Think about the state of NAV or entertainment technology 10 years ago vs. today. Would you want to be stuck with 10 year old technology in those areas?
Topic Author
vv19

Post by vv19 »

Thanks everyone, you've given us a lot to think about. We're leaning towards EX-L, but will do some research.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Unless you just want navigation, just use your smart phone and purchase a holder for five bucks to stick on your dash board. No need for DVD unless you just want one. Really knocks down the price and quite possibly influences later sale since you will probably be selling to a young couple with some financial restrictions (You keep a vehicle a long time and fewer options mean lower cost for eventual purchaser).

Tim
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We got the base model without either. The kids have a portable DVD player that plugs into the rear electrical socket so there is no worries about recharging. For navigation, we use a $100 Garmin. The thousands of dollars saved, plus the thousands I will save by not having to replace touch screens when they wear out, go towards investments for the kids college.

I always wonder how any of us survived our childhoods before all this stuff came along and we were forced to go on long trips with nothing but a book and our imagination.
czr

Post by czr »

Also EX-L (and above) also includes moonroof, autodimming rear view mirror, and leather steering wheel. The price difference between the models is not absolute as the resale is better with the higher trims ie. After 5 years you won't lose the entire amount spent. We lusted after the Elite but got the EX-L last month and it's been great.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I recently purchase the 2016 Odyssey EX for a tad over $30,000 out the door. It's a nice car. Ordered the VCMuzzler 2 to disable Eco mode.

I felt the EX-L (leather seats, moonroof, heated seats) wasn't worth it for the added price ($2-3k.)

For entertainment, I'm just going to go the iPad route. iPads are a lot cheaper than that entertainment package!

Amazon Instant Video has a download option which works great. Maybe YouTube does as well? Not sure if can do that with Netflix (haven't tried.)

One thing I haven't figured out yet is where to put the smartphone when using it for navigation. There isn't really a convenient surface to prop it up on, so may need to look for some kind of phone holder.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

jay22 wrote:Is the navigation package really worth the extra $2500? The rear entertainment system adds another 2-3 grands. Will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
I was an in-car nav junkie for years but this has been totally replaced by my phone -- just the ease of entering a destination, etc., and the fact that you can update or replace the interface every week if you want. Spouse drives this vehicle and I don't even think we know how to use the nav anymore.

Re: rear entertainment, we used it once or twice (literally). Between phones, tablets, and books (what?), I would never pay for it again no matter what age my kids are/were. Plus, there's the whole find-the-remote thing and configuring the front audio system for the rear seats, etc. We did this recently as a joke and the energy hill was pretty high (but we were eventually able to almost-remember how to do it).

We do love the leather seats in our second Ody (maintained their appearance much better than the cloth in our first) and we love the moonroof.

Plus, we love how it drives -- it's an awesome freeway cruiser with good acceleration and reasonably tight handling around town for such a beast. I swear my wife can get it into smaller parking spaces than I can my 3-series.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

finite_difference wrote:I recently purchase the 2016 Odyssey EX for a tad over $30,000 out the door. It's a nice car. Ordered the VCMuzzler 2 to disable Eco mode.

I felt the EX-L (leather seats, moonroof, heated seats) wasn't worth it for the added price ($2-3k.)

For entertainment, I'm just going to go the iPad route. iPads are a lot cheaper than that entertainment package!

Amazon Instant Video has a download option which works great. Maybe YouTube does as well? Not sure if can do that with Netflix (haven't tried.)

One thing I haven't figured out yet is where to put the smartphone when using it for navigation. There isn't really a convenient surface to prop it up on, so may need to look for some kind of phone holder.
I have heard about this VCMUZZLER and wondering if I need one for my 2012 Odyssey. Is it hard to install? Does it jack with anything else? I get nervous about 3rd part add on to car engines. Thanks for your help, trying to figure out whether or not to buy one
TRC

Post by TRC »

Makes me think of plastic wrap on furniture from the 80s.
Loik098 wrote: Honda sells removable, washable car seat covers for both the second and third rows of the Odyssey for about $500.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

daveydoo wrote:
jay22 wrote:Is the navigation package really worth the extra $2500? The rear entertainment system adds another 2-3 grands. Will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
I was an in-car nav junkie for years but this has been totally replaced by my phone -- just the ease of entering a destination, etc., and the fact that you can update or replace the interface every week if you want. Spouse drives this vehicle and I don't even think we know how to use the nav anymore.

You really want Android Auto/Carplay. The smartphone have ibetter nav but the various holding schemes are inferior to the nice large screen your car has. I know the civic has it but I don't think it has made it to the Odyssey yet.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

I have a 2015 so I don't know if any of the options have changed. I am big on bells and whistles and I couldn't find much of a reason to buy the model above the EX-L. In fact, the salesman told me the same before I even brought it up. The one reason I struggled with not getting the Touring was no front censors on the EX-L (it's a pain to park in the garage and I still struggle to park it). However, if you buy the model up, you lose the camera that appears in the side-view mirror when you turn on your right blinker.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to get the entertainment package. IMO you would be better off buying iPads. If anything happens to the entertainment system, they're expensive to fix, and technology changes quickly. Kids like to stick things where they don't belong.

I can't imagine not having leather seats. I know people do it but kids are messy!
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

ND Fan 1 wrote:
finite_difference wrote:I recently purchase the 2016 Odyssey EX for a tad over $30,000 out the door. It's a nice car. Ordered the VCMuzzler 2 to disable Eco mode.

I have heard about this VCMUZZLER and wondering if I need one for my 2012 Odyssey. Is it hard to install? Does it jack with anything else? I get nervous about 3rd part add on to car engines. Thanks for your help, trying to figure out whether or not to buy one
I looked up a YouTube video and it looks super-easy. Just like plugging in a cable pretty much. But I'll be sure to post an update once it arrives in the mail.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
climbhigh

Post by climbhigh »

Definitely DON'T pay for built-in navigation.

For $160 you can connect your iPhone to the car and the car will display your iphone screen on the car display. You can thus do the navigation through your phone but it will display on the car screen.

here is a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOqnYD5KzQ

it requires purchase of a $99 Honda proprietary cable (https://hondanavi.navigation.com/sku/U8 ... ondaNA/USD) and a $60 honda app on your phone (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hondali ... 70895?mt=8).
climbhigh

Post by climbhigh »

Also - one other thing - if you are thinking of buying an extended warranty know that you don't have to purchase the warranty at the same time you buy the vehicle or from the same dealer you buy the vehicle. You can purchase an extended warranty at any time up until the original manufacturer's warranty expires and you can buy it from any dealer in the country. We just purchased an Odyssey last month and went through all of this. The dealer we bought the vehicle from was going to sell us the warranty for $3,000, but we instead purchased it online from a dealer in some other state for $1,300 (the warranty we purchased extended the manufacturer's 3yr/36k mile warranty to 8yr/100k). We don't usually buy warranties but with that vehicle I felt like it may be worth it. I just got to looking around at all of the electronics and powered doors (I think I counted 5 computer screens - one of which is touchscreen, 3 powered doors, 3 cameras around the vehicle, etc.) and $1,300 seemed like a fair deal. I wouldn't have bought it for $3,000...
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

strafe wrote:
jay22 wrote:We're planning to buy Honda Odyssey some time year - I know it is a popular choice with BHs here. I wanted to ask the owners here how did they decide on the model. There are 6 models for Odyssey ranging from 30k to 45k. Is the navigation package really worth the extra $2500? The rear entertainment system adds another 2-3 grands. Will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
I believe the EX-L without nav or RES is the volume seller.

We bought a '12 EX-L. I think it was a good choice. I don't do nav and we have devices for the kids. I like leather seats and sunroofs.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

We bought a new Touring Elite in July, coming from 2007 EX-L with Res/Nav.

The bottom line was my wife has OCD, and the Honda Vac was a necessary (and she LOVES it.) With kids, the video system is great; yes, you can hand them ipads, but she likes to have control of this in the car, and not have to worry about batteries, internet connection, etc...

The nav IS confusing; we rarely use it; it seems like it was actually easier in the 2007; granted, we haven't played with it too much.

The comforts are pretty cool; nice seats, memories on everything, the cooler in the front.
The safety features are also huge upgrades; I'm not sure if any of the other models have the identical safety features as the elite.

Regardless, I usually don't buy new cars, let alone one that costs $40k, but in this case, I made the determination that we should probably get at least 10 years out of it. More importantly, happy wife.....

Regardless of what you buy, make SURE you get Honda Care, and buy it from Honda of Hyannis; they offer the cheapest Honda Care deals by far (and it doesn't matter where you purchase the warrenty from.)