How do I set up a consumer friendly and functional website?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Five

How do I set up a consumer friendly and functional website?

Post by Five » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi,
I did some research and I am still looking. Can anyone recommend how I set up/where do I look to set up a website to allow consumers to log in and give their opinions on certain matters? Go Daddy told me this is beyond their capabilities. How much would something like this cost to set up? How complicated is it? Thanks.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How do I set up a consumer friendly and functional website?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:51 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Five wrote:Can anyone recommend how I set up/where do I look to set up a website to allow consumers to log in and give their opinions on certain matters?
WordPress blogs have a comment feature, and you can require commenters to log in.

You can create your blog on wordpress.com:
https://en.support.wordpress.com/who-can-comment/

Or you can install WordPress on your own web-hosting space:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Comments_in_WordPress

Or do you want the comments/opinions to be private (only you can see them)?
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Topic Author
Five

Post by Five » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:17 pm

The website would be for public use.....almost like an Angie's List.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Like a product review site? A survey site (think surveymonkey)? You could maybe do this for $10 if there's a free Wordpress plugin that does exactly what you want or $150k if there isn't and what you want to do is complex and generates a lot of traffic. There's really no way to give advice without a LOT more detail. But in general, if what you want to do is unique (i.e. not already done by 100 different sites) it will require custom code, which can get crazy expensive.

I'd look for Wordpress plugins (https://wordpress.org/plugins/) or look at companies like Wix to see if they offer something similar to what you want to do.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Five wrote:The website would be for public use.....almost like an Angie's List.
The wordpress idea above is probably going to be the easiest way to move forward with some basic functionality. How are you going to be different from Angie's List? Are you looking for help setting something up for your neighbors, or are you sitting on a cool new business idea if you can just get the right technical person to make this one easy feature possible?

SFT

Post by SFT » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:43 pm

You have a few options:

1) Something cookie-cutter - Wordpress is really a blogging software, but people use it for other things as well. For instance, a blog post could be a product, and then users can add comments. Not really a perfect fit, but it's free. Hotscripts used to be popular - you could download free/low cost scripts that would be a website for auctions, selling cars, etc. You might find something over there, but take note of how old it might be.

2) Pay someone for something custom - a basic custom website probably won't be super expensive, but you're definitely looking at a few grand easy (for a college student). Chances are you're going to get some insecure code and your website will get hacked quickly. If you want someone worth their money, it will probably be tens of thousands or more.

3) Learn Django or Ruby on Rails and build your own - this definitely requires some programming skills, or being tech savvy with a number of hours to burn. If you don't know any HTML or CSS, then this is going to be a long road. Based on the way your question is phrased, I'm not 100% convinced you're looking for this.

You haven't offered a ton of information, but if you're thinking startup and you're not tech savvy, then you better have an awesome idea. Most tech savvy people with pretty good ideas don't make it, so it is probably very tough without tech skills unless you have deep pockets (or again, willing to learn).

Topic Author
Five

Post by Five » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you for the input. My idea is original but i am sure it will be expensive.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Five wrote:Hi,
Can anyone recommend how I set up/where do I look to set up a website to allow consumers to log in and give their opinions on certain matters? ... How much would something like this cost to set up? How complicated is it? Thanks.
It's not just the log-in feature. How will you capture the info provided by consumers? Presumably, you want to access that data in a variety of ways: for display to other consumers; for manipulation by yourself, etc.

Static websites are easy and inexpensive: post a picture or two and some brochure text and you're done. But you're asking for much more, and it sounds like you have no idea what that much more entails. So you're going to need someone to help you flesh out the back end. And that's where it might get expensive.

Here's what I suggest: to flesh out your idea, write an RFP (Request for Proposals)--you'll find free help on that by googling the term. And then send the RFP to a local web development firm or three. The better you can articulate your needs, they better they'll be able to help you and give you an estimate of costs.

Good luck!

slayed

Post by slayed » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

it is relatively cheap to build a functional website that nobody uses and therefore has little to no traffic. the costs come in if and when people actually start to visit your site.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Do you know how you will monetize you site?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

Topic Author
Five

Post by Five » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the ideas. If I detail out my idea/flesh it out, how to prevent my idea from being stolen and used by someone else?

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:57 pm

SFT wrote:Wordpress is really a blogging software, but people use it for other things as well. For instance, a blog post could be a product, and then users can add comments.
It doesn't even have to be structured as a blog. WordPress also lets you create "pages" which you can link together via WP's own menus, or via HTML links. You can enable/disable comments on individual pages. My college's web site is basically a collection of WordPress sites, one for each department, all linked together. As far as I can recall, none of them use a blog structure.

So just having users post comments is no problem. If you want to collect data and display or analyze it in a systematic way (numerical ratings or rankings, for example), you'll have to add something via WP plugins or custom coding.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

slayed

Post by slayed » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Five wrote:Thanks for the ideas. If I detail out my idea/flesh it out, how to prevent my idea from being stolen and used by someone else?
You can't really. The good news is that ideas themselves aren't really worth much. Execution is everything.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Five wrote:Thanks for the ideas. If I detail out my idea/flesh it out, how to prevent my idea from being stolen and used by someone else?
I'd be willing to bet a large fortune you aren't the first or last to think of your idea. Ideas aren't worth much, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Dantheman19

Post by Dantheman19 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:43 pm

I think wix.com is the best for you. It's easy and looks good.