What to do with my CD collection

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

What to do with my CD collection

Post by Buster65 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:03 pm

I have well over 100 CD's with the original case all in good condition. All of the music I listen to is digital now. Should I donate these to a library, sell to some record store or toss? Trying to do some uncluttering.

El Greco

Re: What to do with my CD collection

Post by El Greco » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:09 pm

I keep all of my old CDs, alphabetized in boxes and stored in a closet in a climate controlled area of my home. All of my music is now digitized too, but you never know when all of the music stored up in the cloud can vaporize. I'd hate to have to purchase it all over again. My CDs are my backup.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:10 pm

I feel your pain. I have more than 100 CDs and probably 1,000+ vinyl. No use for either.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:23 pm

I would donate after verifying the recipient actually wants them (library, goodwill, etc). If nobody wants them, toss.

PVW

Post by PVW » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Buster65 wrote:I have well over 100 CD's with the original case all in good condition. All of the music I listen to is digital now. Should I donate these to a library, sell to some record store or toss? Trying to do some uncluttering.
Is it legal to keep a digital copy if you no longer own the original CD?

You didn't say if your digital music is from copies of the original CDs.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:41 pm

I burned all my CDs on my computer and sold the ones Amazon wanted to Amazon and donated the rest to Goodwill. It felt great.

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:41 pm

badger42 wrote:If nobody wants them, toss.
If nobody wants them, try Freecylce or Craigslist's free section if available in your area. Keep 'em out of the landfill if possible.

space-ham

Post by space-ham » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:47 pm

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:49 pm

What kind of music are the CDs?

amphora

Post by amphora » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:56 pm

I expected this thread to be about certificates of deposit :)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Ideally you could rip them in a lossless format and then get rid of the discs. I have been too lazy to do that. It is easier to let the CDs sit there and download digital music.

Depending what you have, some of them might actually be valuable. If not, or if you don't want to check each one to see if it is worth selling, you could try to sell the entire collection in bulk or just donate them and take a deduction.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:02 pm

PVW wrote:
Buster65 wrote:I have well over 100 CD's with the original case all in good condition. All of the music I listen to is digital now. Should I donate these to a library, sell to some record store or toss? Trying to do some uncluttering.

My understanding is that you are allowed a backup so long as you don't break encryption to get it. Audio CDs are stored in unencrypted PCM. It would be hard to argue that this is still a backup once you knowingly dispose of the original.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:05 pm

After failing to sell any at a yard sale, I managed to sell mine back to Hasting's back in 2012 - surprisingly I got close to $150 for about fifty CDs. Hasting's recently announced the liquidation of all stores, so I'm glad I did that back then.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm

El Greco wrote:I keep all of my old CDs, alphabetized in boxes and stored in a closet in a climate controlled area of my home. All of my music is now digitized too, but you never know when all of the music stored up in the cloud can vaporize. I'd hate to have to purchase it all over again. My CDs are my backup.
+1 I have a similar fear and have hung on to my CDs, for now. It's a pain, but it's better than the alternative of losing my digitized copies. Just typing that now was painful :(

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:25 pm

When I moved across the country in 2013 I just gave away my entire CD collection on FreeCycle. I have them backed up regularly so am not worried about that part.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

If there is a local community radio station, they might want them.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:21 pm

If you have time, search them out on Amazon first. We just went through our collection and found a few that were quite valuable. We sell anything that will go for $10 and up, and books we no longer want that are $20 and up. If there are dozens for sale for $0.01 etc, then we donate them to the local charity shop.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:36 pm

I sold all my CDs on Craigslist. Likely had 300+ CDs. Got $80 for em. They were all digitized. Feels great to unload all the stuff.

Not worried about losing digital, have them stored in 3 places. If all 3 go up in smoke I imagine the world is on fire and my music collection is the least of my worries.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:47 pm

An old friend bought my complete collection of Led Zeppelin CDs for $60 recently. I tried to sell him the Metallica collection too, but he wouldn't bite. I've been meaning to put entire sets from one band on Craigslist for however many dollars I think I could get for them, but I'm too lazy. I like the donating to library idea - I know my local library maintains a huge selection. Thanks for another useful thread, Bogleheads!

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

I'll take any from the '80s...... :D

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:51 pm

I donated them to the library.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Wished I kept mine. Over the years I have lost a lot of emusic. I have it all backed up now.
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

I’d like to cast a vote for donating them to a library for resale, which could be conducted by a friends of the library group. My library system (Chicago) discontinued such sales awhile ago, and refuses all donated materials. I found a couple of suburban ones that have regular sales with proceeds benefiting their collections and services. They get all my resellable excess media. While libraries have become our community centers, they don’t often get funding commensurate with the value they provide nor the demands they face. I'm sure you can easily find a library or two that would welcome your collection.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I digitized my CDs and store them in the cloud on Google Play Music. I can listen to them anytime I want without the clutter.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Buster65 wrote:I have well over 100 CD's with the original case all in good condition. All of the music I listen to is digital now...
It was digital then, too! That was the whole big deal about CDs, and the reason they came about - they were digital! Right before that there was DAT (digital audio tape) that never caught on for consumers, and maybe a few other formats I'm not familiar with. Just before that some prokaryotes were using analogue tapes and vinyl discs and so on.

The "problem" with CD's is that each one can store a limited amount of data, so it's roughly one album per CD. Of course nowadays we can cram however much data we want on all kinds of cheap storage. Which is good! But then there's the temptation to store things as bad highly compressed MP3s or whatever, which is less good.
Semper Augustus

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 pm

Just sell them. I've lost music, but it wasn't like I missed it anyways. I hate junk in the house that never gets used.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:53 pm

PVW wrote:

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile- ... r-cds.html
"Basically, the way I interpret the current US law is that you can copy any CD you OWN, but the second you no longer own the CD, you no longer have the right to have a copy in your possession and your copies must be destroyed as they are now illegal."

larklea

Post by larklea » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am

I too would recommend donating them to the local library. Typically, the Friends of the Library will then get them and sell them, either in their bookstore or their annual sale. Yes, they won't sell for much, maybe $1 each, but these purchases add up and all the proceeds go back into helping the library.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:04 am

I too am interested in knowing
a) if you can legally keep the digitized /ripped /mp3 version if you sell/donate the physical CD's
b) if the ripped version is of the same quality as the orginal
c) What do you do about the covers with lyrics, etc? Do you scan or just google it if you want to look something up?
munemaker wrote:I digitized my CDs and store them in the cloud on Google Play Music. I can listen to them anytime I want without the clutter.
Please share more about this. Does this use up your allotted gmail storage or is it free? I think I also read at one point that you can also put your music on Amazon to accomplish something similar. Maybe there are other free places to park the music? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

AnnieK

Post by AnnieK » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am

I am not willing to get rid of mine. I have 380 of them. I am very big on copyright laws and such and don't believe I am legally allowed to own the digital if I have gotten rid of the physical copy. (I am willing to accept that I might be wrong here.)

I put them all in the binders that hold 8 to a page (4 on each side). Each of my binders holds 200 so I have two and they are on a bookshelf in the family room. Jewel cases have been discarded.

The OCD part of me needed them organized but I was unwilling to try to keep them alphabetized. I have numbered each of the slots and have an Excel file of each Artist/Album/Slot that I can sort any way I need to. I added the CDs to this list as I ripped them so it really didn't take any extra time.
Last edited by AnnieK on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 am

Many years ago,,,
When "ripping cds" was popular,
I sold ALL of my cds on Ebay.
Made good money.
The Music is still on an external hard drive and
Uploaded to Google Music..
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:14 am

Most likely TOSS THEM.

Seriously, if you can't easily donate or sell them, they're probably worthless, or at least not worth the hassle it will take to liquidate them. Otherwise, they're just taking up space, not just in your home, but in your mind.

Sure, it's painful, but it is a reality of life, and a lesson worth learning, that even once-prized material goods usually have a finite lifespan and that you have to let go at some point.

Even if you have to re-buy 5-10 of them at some point, it's worth the uncluttering of that part of your mind and home. A good habit to get into.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:30 am

Saving$ wrote:I too am interested in knowing
a) if you can legally keep the digitized /ripped /mp3 version if you sell/donate the physical CD's
b) if the ripped version is of the same quality as the orginal
c) What do you do about the covers with lyrics, etc? Do you scan or just google it if you want to look something up?
munemaker wrote:I digitized my CDs and store them in the cloud on Google Play Music. I can listen to them anytime I want without the clutter.
Please share more about this. Does this use up your allotted gmail storage or is it free? I think I also read at one point that you can also put your music on Amazon to accomplish something similar. Maybe there are other free places to park the music? What are the pros and cons of doing this?
a) Nope. Obviously most people ignore this and your odds of being prosecuted are about zero.
b) up to you. There are lossless compression schemes if you want.
c) don't most digital programs download that stuff for you?

badger42

Post by badger42 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:01 pm

aaronb wrote:
badger42 wrote:If nobody wants them, toss.
If nobody wants them, try Freecylce or Craigslist's free section if available in your area. Keep 'em out of the landfill if possible.
I find Craigslist / Freecycle full of time wasters. Too many late pickups / no-shows / flaky people / etc.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm

badger42 wrote:
I find Craigslist / Freecycle full of time wasters. Too many late pickups / no-shows / flaky people / etc.
Agreed. I will NEVER invite a stranger from the Internet to my home. I ask family first. If no takers, I donate to a local cause. Tax deduction and feel good solution.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

A number of posts are stating that the CDs have been ripped (make a copy), then either donated or sold elsewhere. This is violates DRM copyright for commercial CDs.

This thread has run its course and is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.