Next Weekend Car - Dodge Viper to What?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Next Weekend Car - Dodge Viper to What?

Post by Cmpliance »

Hi All,

Simple thread. I have a dream 1997 blue with white stripe dodge viper that I've driven for the past 2 years on the weekend. Trying to see what other options I can look into for $40-$50k budget.

Was thinking a 911 Turbo but wanted to see other recommendations.

Looking for a fun car with strong low end torque.

What would you look at?
tacster

Re: Next Weekend Car - Dodge Viper to What?

Post by tacster »

C7 Corvette. Might be a little above that budget though.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
denovo

Post by denovo »

v8 mustang
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'll tell you what I did. I went from a Factory Five Cobra that I started building in '99 and drove for 11 years to an 07 Lotus Elise. It's the opposite of torque but it handles better than anything else that's legal, got more attention the first day I drove it than my Cobra did over 11 years, I could find videos every time I went on the highway once I got home, it had AC, heat, a radio, a top, roll up windows (I had none of them in the Cobra). It was a good next car for me. If you're big, just forget everything I said.

The Cobra

to the Lotus
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Toons

Post by Toons »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I'll tell you what I did. I went from a Factory Five Cobra that I started building in '99 and drove for 11 years to an 07 Lotus Elise. It's the opposite of torque but it handles better than anything else that's legal, got more attention the first day I drove it than my Cobra did over 11 years, I could find videos every time I went on the highway once I got home, it had AC, heat, a radio, a top, roll up windows (I had none of them in the Cobra). It was a good next car for me. If you're big, just forget everything I said.

The Cobra

to the Lotus

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sambb

Post by sambb »

boxster S, preowned is always a good option, despite lower power
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

HardHitter wrote:Looking for a fun car with strong low end torque.
denovo wrote:v8 mustang
I'll put my vote in for the Mustang GT - the package comes with Electronic Line-Lock which is intended for track use.

The Mustang will do just fine for acceleration. OTOH, it's a rear-wheel drive muscle car. Do you want something that can take corners?

Don't forget to get a good set of tires.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I'll tell you what I did. I went from a Factory Five Cobra that I started building in '99 and drove for 11 years to an 07 Lotus Elise. It's the opposite of torque but it handles better than anything else that's legal, got more attention the first day I drove it than my Cobra did over 11 years, I could find videos every time I went on the highway once I got home, it had AC, heat, a radio, a top, roll up windows (I had none of them in the Cobra). It was a good next car for me. If you're big, just forget everything I said.

The Cobra

to the Lotus
I actually had a Miata for a daily driver. Has absolutely no power, but was probably the most fun I've ever had in a car.

Although best bang for the money, Corvette is just "eh" to me. Everyone has them. Same comment on the Mustangs.

What I'm looking for is something that is "different" than what you'll see on the road every day. Also looking to up the HP/TQ. Right now, you can pick up a 911 Turbo in the range and push close to 600awhp/tq.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

The mustang GT is driveable everyday. As is an M5. I agree with your choice of a 911 for something a little less pedestrian.
Driver

Post by Driver »

997 Turbo. Probably a bit more than 50k though.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I own a Mazdaspeed Miata and second the vote for the Elise...or maybe the Exige..

...or go crazy and get an Ariel Atom.
denovo

Post by denovo »

LadyGeek wrote:
HardHitter wrote:Looking for a fun car with strong low end torque.
denovo wrote:v8 mustang
I'll put my vote in for the Mustang GT - the package comes with Electronic Line-Lock which is intended for track use.

The Mustang will do just fine for acceleration. OTOH, it's a rear-wheel drive muscle car. Do you want something that can take corners?

Don't forget to get a good set of tires.
Make sure to get two good sets of tires, because you'll burn through them fast :happy
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

whodidntante wrote:The mustang GT is driveable everyday. As is an M5. I agree with your choice of a 911 for something a little less pedestrian.
911 Turbo so far is my front runner.
Driver wrote:997 Turbo. Probably a bit more than 50k though.
The 997 Turbo is what I want but like you said, you're looking at $70-$80k range sadly. My budget will get me a clean 996 Turbo with some power mods (tune, exhaust, etc.) and should put me around 580+ awhp and tq.

My Viper right now puts down 440rwhp/464rwtq.
investingdad wrote:I own a Mazdaspeed Miata and second the vote for the Elise...or maybe the Exige..

...or go crazy and get an Ariel Atom.
I have a Mazdaspeed3 for my daily driver. Quick little thing. Was looking for a NA/NB Miata with a turbo. They go for around a cheap $7-$8k to play around with. I may end up doing that to hold me over until I'm ready to get into the 997 Turbo range. I dunno yet.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

A 911 is not different.
I know nothing!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

HardHitter wrote:
I actually had a Miata for a daily driver. Has absolutely no power, but was probably the most fun I've ever had in a car.

Although best bang for the money, Corvette is just "eh" to me. Everyone has them. Same comment on the Mustangs.

What I'm looking for is something that is "different" than what you'll see on the road every day. Also looking to up the HP/TQ. Right now, you can pick up a 911 Turbo in the range and push close to 600awhp/tq.
I was going to vote Lotus also and do the whole lightweight car. You could do something like a hellcat for bigger numbers but I don't think you would notice much of a difference given the higher weight. Wouldn't say it is that different looks in the way the viper is. And if you aren't considering the mustang/camaro, it is probably off the list. Something like the Nissan Gt-r with AWD might give you a different feel. Not sure if they are down to 50k yet as you can't pick up a 10 year old model in the US.

But I would get the Porsche. Why? Because it is the standard. Now I don't know how far back you have to go (2002?) and what the specs were back then (100 less HP/tq roughly if memory serves. Obviously you can tweak them to some extent but that is true of most cars) to get a 911 turbo but there is something to be said for driving the car that everyone else uses as a reference for a couple of years. Obviously not really different than the cars you see on the road all the time (i.e. I am not sure i have every driven more than say 10 miles on the highway and not seen a 911. And yeah not many of them are turbos but at highway speeds they all look the same. Even the 15 year old ones:)). The viper is much rarer.

If you are just looking for more of a cruising than sports car type vibe, you can probably pick up some SL AMG variant (how about a SL65 for a 12 cylinder experience). Again you see SL's everywhere.

To some extent it is hard to beat the viper for HP/TQ. That is pretty much its reason for existing:)
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Ariel Atom. A bit above your price rang, but no doubt an experience. Frankly, most of the cars mentioned in this thread would be a downgrade compared to your Viper.
sp0704

Post by sp0704 »

I've never driven a Viper, but it's more unique than most of the options presented. How about a newer Viper?
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

sp0704 wrote:I've never driven a Viper, but it's more unique than most of the options presented. How about a newer Viper?
Gen 5 Vipers are out of my price range as they sit around $90-$100k.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

HardHitter wrote:
sp0704 wrote:I've never driven a Viper, but it's more unique than most of the options presented. How about a newer Viper?
Gen 5 Vipers are out of my price range as they sit around $90-$100k.
What about Gen 3/4?

I vote Nissan GT-R.

Note to self: 2016 Subaru WRX STI Limited Edition - 305 HP @ 600 RPM, 290 lb-ft @ 4,000 RPM. Can be had for under $40k. A 2010 Subaru WRX STI only loses by 43 seconds to the Viper on a lap of the Nurburgring (7:55 vs 7:12).
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
anoop

Post by anoop »

HardHitter wrote:Hi All,

Simple thread. I have a dream 1997 blue with white stripe dodge viper that I've driven for the past 2 years on the weekend. Trying to see what other options I can look into for $40-$50k budget.

Was thinking a 911 Turbo but wanted to see other recommendations.

Looking for a fun car with strong low end torque.

What would you look at?
I'm a one-car only kind of guy, so no weekend car for me.

But, for you, I would recommend the BMW M240i.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/ ... lcode=172C
The M235i was a Car & Driver 10Best for 2016.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bm ... rs-feature
The M240i has the a newer more powerful engine (335 HP vs 320 HP).
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

HardHitter, the 996 version of the 911 have bottomed out in price and are going up in value. The 997 (newer version) are just used cars and are still depreciating. The 997 is arguably a better car. I have been thinking of getting a 997 Turbo. I hate to buy "toys" that continue to drop in value. My plan is to wait a little bit longer and try to pick up a clean 997 turbo in the next few years. The 911 turbo is definitely a bucket list sports car and a reference car for almost all other sports cars.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

LAlearning wrote:A 911 is not different.

I think it's a bit hackneyed, but maybe that depends on geography. Certainly in LA/Orange County or the SF Bay Area, it's really not "different."

Not a low-end torque monster, but I'll suggest the old Acura NSX.

Listing example: http://r.ebay.com/VQCVDB
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Camaro SS Convertible is another option in the Mustang class (also a great car). I think you have to decide if you like the V8 muscle car feel like the Mustang/Chevy/Viper or the high revving European feel like the Porsche.

My biggest problem is that I like both experiences.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I thought about your desire for torque a little more and am back with more options.

First: Get on the Factory Five forums and look for used cars for sale. They are the same formula as the Viper but weigh 1000 pounds less. For $35k, you'll be able to find something that's 500 hp and essentially faster than any production car that exists. You're only traction limited. There are also a number of Viper engined Cobras out there. Lots of Factory Five guys love building them more than driving them so they build one, drive it a little, order another kit and put it up for sale.

Second: Back to the Lotus. Find an Elise (if you can fit into one) with a K series Honda swap with a turbo. I've seen these with as much as 500 HP. These are even lighter than the Factory Five cars (2000 pounds). To see the crazyness you could get into, look up the Ronin Exige. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

bubbadog wrote:HardHitter, the 996 version of the 911 have bottomed out in price and are going up in value. The 997 (newer version) are just used cars and are still depreciating. The 997 is arguably a better car. I have been thinking of getting a 997 Turbo. I hate to buy "toys" that continue to drop in value. My plan is to wait a little bit longer and try to pick up a clean 997 turbo in the next few years. The 911 turbo is definitely a bucket list sports car and a reference car for almost all other sports cars.
If I were the buy right now, then why not go for the 996. As you noted, depreciation has hit this car for all its worth, similar to my Viper, where I can own it for 2 - 3 years without taking a hit. My Viper is actually listed for more than what I purchased it for and I'm thinking with the interest I'm getting thus far, I can sell it for the same or even more than what I purchased it for.
EddyB wrote:
LAlearning wrote:A 911 is not different.

I think it's a bit hackneyed, but maybe that depends on geography. Certainly in LA/Orange County or the SF Bay Area, it's really not "different."

Not a low-end torque monster, but I'll suggest the old Acura NSX.

Listing example: http://r.ebay.com/VQCVDB
This is true. I live in the Bay Area so you see 911 all over the place, even the Turbos. Not as much as Mustangs/Camaros but a lot. Now this sort of plays into a decision. I can drive a 911 in the area without drawing that much attention to it where it may get vandalized. The Viper will always get attention whether I'm driving or its parked.

NSX to me is a waste of money. Beautiful car, but underpowered for the $ you're spending.
Jack FFR1846 wrote:I thought about your desire for torque a little more and am back with more options.

First: Get on the Factory Five forums and look for used cars for sale. They are the same formula as the Viper but weigh 1000 pounds less. For $35k, you'll be able to find something that's 500 hp and essentially faster than any production car that exists. You're only traction limited. There are also a number of Viper engined Cobras out there. Lots of Factory Five guys love building them more than driving them so they build one, drive it a little, order another kit and put it up for sale.

Second: Back to the Lotus. Find an Elise (if you can fit into one) with a K series Honda swap with a turbo. I've seen these with as much as 500 HP. These are even lighter than the Factory Five cars (2000 pounds). To see the crazyness you could get into, look up the Ronin Exige. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg
I'll take a look at these two options and do some more research on them!
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

How about an Alfa Romeo.
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/alfa-romeo-4c-coupe
I saw one yesterday drive by a group of Porsche's (probably a club event) parked downtown, was quite unique compared to the line of parked Porsche's.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

It seems the power number is what is most important in the next weekend car. Totally understandable!! :D

I think you already know not much will touch the Porsches you mention for the power number in the price range you're looking at.

Someone mentioned a Hellcat. It you want to stick in the Dodge family, that would be a good way to go to reach crazy power numbers.

If your Viper is a dream car, why get rid of it? As someone mentioned, there's not much "different" out there than a Viper. That could also be area dependent, but I rarely if ever see a Viper around where I live.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

+1 to the Ariel Atom. I've actually considered selling my current toys and taking the plunge.

If being somewhat unique is one of your criteria, IMO, a Porsche is no more unique than a Corvette. And neither of those are anywhere close to being as unique as the Cobra or Elise. If not the Atom, I'd probably be looking late 60's models.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

You might want to check out EV possibilities-- they are naturally high in torque (leave aside Tesla and its "ludicrous mode"-- IIRC even the EV version of the Chevy Spark has 300+ ft-lb) and are a lot of fun to drive.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

anoop wrote: But, for you, I would recommend the BMW M240i.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/ ... lcode=172C
The M235i was a Car & Driver 10Best for 2016.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bm ... rs-feature
The M240i has the a newer more powerful engine (335 HP vs 320 HP).
After an extensive head-to-head, a recent R&T recommended the somewhat sluggish 228i (?!) over the M2 and M235 for mostly amazing balance and handling. But I can't imagine anyone going for that after a Viper.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
orca91

Post by orca91 »

Yes, I think many have given recommendations based on their personal opinions and not realizing what the Viper is like nor what a car putting 600 ish TQ/HP to the wheels, as the OP is interested in, is like. Most of the recommendations would be quite a downgrade from the Viper.
anoop

Post by anoop »

daveydoo wrote: After an extensive head-to-head, a recent R&T recommended the somewhat sluggish 228i (?!) over the M2 and M235 for mostly amazing balance and handling. But I can't imagine anyone going for that after a Viper.
Yes, I had seen that too, but OP wanted power so I didn't mention it.

I would have recommended the M2 (360 HP vs 335 HP for the M240i), but that will be significantly more expensive than the M240i because supply is very low and from what I gather most buyers are paying MSRP. The M240i can likely be had for invoice+ pricing. The M2 will probably hold its value better.

I should also mention that BMW has developed somewhat of a reputation for underrating the HP on its engines.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I wouldn't be sticking to my script if I didn't recommend a used Model S Tesla. The torque is stunning, even on the base models. The new high end ones are out of your budget, but you can get stunning buys on cars traded in to buy the latest and greatest. There's not as much to wear out as on ICE cars. Low center of gravity and grippy tires make it handle well.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

orca91 wrote:Yes, I think many have given recommendations based on their personal opinions and not realizing what the Viper is like nor what a car putting 600 ish TQ/HP to the wheels, as the OP is interested in, is like. Most of the recommendations would be quite a downgrade from the Viper.
The problem is that there really isn't much that is better than the viper for this type money if what you are looking for is a big engine with tons of hp/torque. I haven't been in one but I expect that even the hellcat with its 700hp doesn't really feel much better given its higher weight and the ability of RWD to put down power. In some ways the Porsche turbo is a downgrade when talking about mashing the pedal and being pushed back into the seat.

I would be a little concerned with some of the "custom" type cars is that the resale market can be pretty thin. If you are looking to change cars ever 2 years that might be something to think about.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

Hence, why I asked earlier why the OP wants to get rid of the Viper. :happy It's way up there as far as performance cars go already.

I really don't know Porsches at all, so only going off what I read. But, I have to doubt anything putting 600 HP/TQ to the wheels is going to be any kind of let down. Doesn't matter how big the engine is, or how it makes it's power (turbo)... that's a lot... and more than the OP's Viper makes.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

HardHitter, I believe you can buy a 996 Turbo today and not lose any money in a few years when you are done having your fun with it. For best resale in the future, an all original coupe with manual transmission would be the best bet. I have three "fun" cars (2005 Acura NSX, 2006 Honda S2000, and a 1994 Mazda Miata). All three are no longer depreciating and the NSX has actually gone up in value quite a bit. 996 Turbos are increasing in value. The bottom for those cars was probably 1-2 years ago. I just happen to like the 997 version a lot better. You could buy the 996 now and trade up to the 997 in the future. I doubt you would lose any money on the 996 Turbo if you buy the right car. I have a 997.2 PDK Turbo on my radar to purchase in the next 3-4 years. Good luck with your decision.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

orca91 wrote:Hence, why I asked earlier why the OP wants to get rid of the Viper. :happy It's way up there as far as performance cars go already.

I really don't know Porsches at all, so only going off what I read. But, I have to doubt anything putting 600 HP/TQ to the wheels is going to be any kind of let down. Doesn't matter how big the engine is, or how it makes it's power (turbo)... that's a lot... and more than the OP's Viper makes.
Disappointment is definitely a relative term:). To get 600HP, that is going to be a modified ~400hp engine (or whatever the porsche from 15 years ago put out). I am not up on the porsche tuner scene but sometimes those types of boosts don't give super smooth power delivery. It is a bit of a personal preference things also between huge displacement (and 10 fricken cylinders) and turbo boosting. The big issue is that on paper you are looking at huge differences (say ~600 hp versus ~425) to get minor performance drops. And. HP that spins the tires might be fun, but it doesn't make you fast.

As I said earlier, if you have any interest you should get the porsche. It is the reference sports car. The only reason to hesitate is that they just aren't unique (like the OP wants). They are the car everyone gets. Partly because they are that good:). And as other people point out, you will just be mainly just paying for maintenance and repairs and depreciation wise the cars have pretty much bottomed out.

Other than finding some custom/tuned car, pretty much all the options have been limited. To some extent this is test drive time. Go drive a newer viper (assuming you can get a 500hp model), porsche turbo, and whatever 600hp mustang/camaro/hellcat/coverette you want and decide which one is for you.
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

orca91 wrote:It seems the power number is what is most important in the next weekend car. Totally understandable!! :D

I think you already know not much will touch the Porsches you mention for the power number in the price range you're looking at.

Someone mentioned a Hellcat. It you want to stick in the Dodge family, that would be a good way to go to reach crazy power numbers.

If your Viper is a dream car, why get rid of it? As someone mentioned, there's not much "different" out there than a Viper. That could also be area dependent, but I rarely if ever see a Viper around where I live.
Here is the thing, the Viper is my "Dream Car" meaning it is something I thought I wouldn't actually spend the money to get haha. Just like anything else, now that you have it, you "step up" your game. Next goal is a Lambo Murcielago...but that isn't happening anytime soon.

Vipers are very rare. I live in the Bay Area so you'll always see $100K porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Viper? No way.

So everyone is asking why do I want to get rid of the Viper really?

1. Ability to drive without worrying about drawing negative attention. For example, I want to be able to drive the car to go see a movie and leave it parked and enjoy the movie...not worry about it 24/7 while in the movie because some jealous teenager thinks it will be cool to vandalize it. I only drive the Viper to places where I know I am going to be going and I know it is a nice area. E.g. Where there will be Porsches/Ferraris/Lambos so a Viper isn't "special"

2. Comfort. The Viper is a true sports car, a huge motor and a body. Nothing else. It is both a pro and con. The rawness of the car is great. But again, it wouldn't be something I'd drive to work one or two days out of the week. Don't need my work seeing these "flashy" cars.

So why am I eyeing the 911 Porsche Turbo? Everyone I've talked to, even those who went from the Viper to 911 Turbo, have said it is night and day. The Porsche is well built and puts the power to the ground and feels stable. A big reason why? AWD. The Porsche gives your the luxury/comfort to daily drive if you really want to. If you want the raw power, with exhaust and tune, they are putting close to 500 to the wheels.

Yes, I'm giving up the rarity and specialty of the Viper, but I think having 600awhp will be fun enough for a few years...until I'm ready to get into the high HP cars.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Mercedes AMG E63 S station wagon.
A large luxurious station wagon with
almost 600 HP.

Fun dusting almost everything.
Jaw-dropping reaction from the
other lane
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

malabargold wrote:Mercedes AMG E63 S station wagon.
A large luxurious station wagon with
almost 600 HP.

Fun dusting almost everything.
Jaw-dropping reaction from the
other lane
R63 AMG. Sure you give up some horsepower. But you have a 500hp minivan that goes from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds:)

Seriously from the post it doesn't sound like you want a unique car (i.e. the one that gets attention). Want comfort and stealth, get some luxury sport sedan and chip it up till it is putting down 500+ hp. Want a bit of look at me but a lot of comfort, the 911 is a great choice.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

From HardHitter's last post, it seems like the 911 checks most of the boxes.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Perhaps a CPO Porsche Cayman?
trackjunke

Post by trackjunke »

I have a 07 Turbo and I think it is a pretty good value proposition right now (get a manual coupe). You can pick up a nice one in the high 60s and I think it should hold its value relatively well being last manual Turbo and last Mezger engine. Always more desirable then the 996 variant. As for driving experience, I actually prefer a naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive car but the depreciation of the "normal" 911s is a bit much for me. I would have gotten a GT3 if the values had not sky rocketed and they had rear seats for the little one. The Turbo is a pretty good alternative though and honestly a much better street car (previously had a 996GT3)....the next car to have would be a 2015-2016 991 GTS Manual Transmission which is currently the last naturally aspirated 911 but they are currently trading in the 100s.
Driver

Post by Driver »

trackjunke wrote:I have a 07 Turbo and I think it is a pretty good value proposition right now (get a manual coupe). You can pick up a nice one in the high 60s and I think it should hold its value relatively well being last manual Turbo and last Mezger engine. Always more desirable then the 996 variant. As for driving experience, I actually prefer a naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive car but the depreciation of the "normal" 911s is a bit much for me. I would have gotten a GT3 if the values had not sky rocketed and they had rear seats for the little one. The Turbo is a pretty good alternative though and honestly a much better street car (previously had a 996GT3)....the next car to have would be a 2015-2016 991 GTS Manual Transmission which is currently the last naturally aspirated 911 but they are currently trading in the 100s.

Nice car! I was looking at purchasing the same model as you. Here's the most recent "last" naturally aspirated 911. $200k list, but trending higher. The prices for new and used 911s are getting ridiculous IMO.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/g ... -revealed/
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Sell both the Viper and your daily driver and get a Tesla P85. Four doors and nearly 900 torques.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

HardHitter wrote:So why am I eyeing the 911 Porsche Turbo? Everyone I've talked to, even those who went from the Viper to 911 Turbo, have said it is night and day. The Porsche is well built and puts the power to the ground and feels stable. A big reason why? AWD. The Porsche gives your the luxury/comfort to daily drive if you really want to. If you want the raw power, with exhaust and tune, they are putting close to 500 to the wheels.

Yes, I'm giving up the rarity and specialty of the Viper, but I think having 600awhp will be fun enough for a few years...until I'm ready to get into the high HP cars.
So, why are you asking us what weekend car for the next one? Seems your mind was made up before the thread was ever made. :happy

And no, not like everything else you step up your game. Sometimes good enough is good enough. There will always be a better or faster car out there. When do you plan to stop stepping up?
trackjunke

Post by trackjunke »

Driver wrote:
trackjunke wrote:I have a 07 Turbo and I think it is a pretty good value proposition right now (get a manual coupe). You can pick up a nice one in the high 60s and I think it should hold its value relatively well being last manual Turbo and last Mezger engine. Always more desirable then the 996 variant. As for driving experience, I actually prefer a naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive car but the depreciation of the "normal" 911s is a bit much for me. I would have gotten a GT3 if the values had not sky rocketed and they had rear seats for the little one. The Turbo is a pretty good alternative though and honestly a much better street car (previously had a 996GT3)....the next car to have would be a 2015-2016 991 GTS Manual Transmission which is currently the last naturally aspirated 911 but they are currently trading in the 100s.

Nice car! I was looking at purchasing the same model as you. Here's the most recent "last" naturally aspirated 911. $200k list, but trending higher. The prices for new and used 911s are getting ridiculous IMO.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/g ... -revealed/
Yup that is the car to have. Only way you could actually buy one is that you were one of the people that bought Porsche 918. Sadly most of those cars will all sit in bubbles and never get driven.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

R8. Don't know used prices off hand, but maybe could swing the one with Lamborghini v10?

Older restored muscle car?
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

blastoff wrote:R8. Don't know used prices off hand, but maybe could swing the one with Lamborghini v10?

Older restored muscle car?
A bit out of his price range. Up the budget to say 80-90k and you could start talking used supercars from the late 90s, early 00s. Obviously for those cars keeping them running can be as big of deal as the price.