Thank you gift for someone with everything

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Thank you gift for someone with everything

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:04 pm

I stayed with some friends recently who are very wealthy and enjoy the life style. They insisted on paying for all food which added up to a few hundred dollars on my families end. I'll at least send a card, but would like to send something thoughtful. Any ideas?

On a side note, I'm sure they were happy they could pay but part of me feels like a moocher even though they insisted. I guess I can just pay it forward down the road.

DaftInvestor

Re: Thank you gift for someone with everything

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I'd send a card with flowers. Simple and elegant and thoughtful.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Definitely send something consumable or charitable. Flowers are a nice idea.
Did they mention any charities to which they give or to which they volunteer time? Send one of those charities a gift in honor of them.
Do they love coffee? Coffee of the month club for 4 months?
Do they love wine? Wine of the month club for 3-4 months?

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Is there a local business with a good locally made product like cheese, beer, candy? Send them a card and the local product.

Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:45 pm

What about a Charitable Donation in their name?

:sharebeer

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

There are some wealthy people who genuinely enjoy treating others, even if it is another family for an extended period of time. I wouldn't feel too bad about it if they seemed to truly enjoy your company.

I think a card and nice arrangement of flowers is a great idea.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:57 pm

We have been in that situation. We sent dried fruit gift boxes. We found nice ones here
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?key ... ageSize=96

Minty

Post by Minty » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 pm

In the movie Six Degrees of Separation, Trent said "When rich people do something nice for you, you give 'em a pot of jam." That always seemed wise to me.
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 pm

I would suggest something that removes the "hassle-factor."

So if they had a favorite restaurant that they took you out to, then a gift card to that restaurant would be nice.

Or maybe they expressed an interest in a concert or play, but it would be a hassle to get tickets. You get the tickets and the car service for them. Of course, that does add a hassle that they have to have time available for that particular evening.

With either of the above, the gift could be accompanied by flowers or chocolates.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Katie

Post by Katie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Was there anything you did or discussed during your visit that could be a more personal gift? For example, if you spent a night cooking, perhaps some nice cooking spices? Or if you enjoyed a particular Italian restaurant, some nice flavored olive oils? Did you have muffins/scones or anything special for breakfast? A small gift basket from Wolfermans or Zingerman's. Or a fruit basket if they served a lot of fruit.

That way you could tie your gift into something particular you enjoyed about your visit and indicate that this item reminded you of the fun you all had doing xyz. It doesn't have to be something expensive, but something personal that shows you really were thinking about them and the nice things they did during the visit are always appreciated.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Photo books are cool - a thin but tasteful photo book with pictures of your stay, previous photos of them from previous visits, etc. Something they can leave out for awhile and enjoy, and then put on the shelf and whenever they see it, maybe reminds them of some good times.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Great recommendations, I'm glad I posted.

Would a nice plant be a bad idea instead of flowers? I guess they would have to water it every so often which could be a pain.

Katie wrote:Was there anything you did or discussed during your visit that could be a more personal gift? For example, if you spent a night cooking, perhaps some nice cooking spices? Or if you enjoyed a particular Italian restaurant, some nice flavored olive oils? Did you have muffins/scones or anything special for breakfast? A small gift basket from Wolfermans or Zingerman's. Or a fruit basket if they served a lot of fruit.

That way you could tie your gift into something particular you enjoyed about your visit and indicate that this item reminded you of the fun you all had doing xyz. It doesn't have to be something expensive, but something personal that shows you really were thinking about them and the nice things they did during the visit are always appreciated.

Great recommendation. I thought of a small gift that is related to what we did and kind of funny. I think they'll get a kick out of it and will probably use it every once in a while.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Like others said, I give something consumable. I like nice bottles of scotch, something of the month clubs, flowers, or gift cards to restaurants they frequent.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Unless they expressed a wish to acquire more plants, I would not give a plant. Too much hassle factor...

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:20 pm

A nice card with a heartfelt Thank You ,
would be Sufficient.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 pm

I think flowers would be nice. Not some arrangement from online but a real arrangement from a flower boutique. Just mention to them to expect a delivery when they are home and most places will deliver locally.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:03 pm

i'd have thanked them at the time. no need for a gift or anything else.

the next time you meet them try to pick up the check (if they'll let ya).

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Purelife304 wrote:What about a Charitable Donation in their name?

:sharebeer

+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

nolapepper

Post by nolapepper » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:43 pm

I usually send something Homemade. Mint tea, fruit I grow myself. Homemade jelly, small crafts

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:04 pm

OP,

I am a coffee and tea person. So, I would send one pound of the best coffee from my local area to your friend. If you are in DC area, this will be the best coffee. Your friend would not find this coffee anywhere else.

http://swingscoffee.com/store/coffee/bl ... ain-blend/

http://swingscoffee.com/our-history/

So, what is your specialty?

KlangFool

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 pm

We recently visited friends out of town who have everything and who paid for everything. I had taken many photos with my I-phone and one was a delightful photo of them with their child. I had the picture enlarged to a 5x7, found a nice frame, packed it and sent it to them with a thank you card. Personal photos are always a wonderful gift.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Lots of great ideas here. My only comment is to be careful about sending flowers. Personally, I would be happy to receive them but for people with allergies it could be another thing entirely. As long as you're confident no one in the household will be allergic, go for it.

Edit: if they enjoy wine, you could send one very nice, special bottle

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:23 am

Cracker Barrel and/or Chick-Fil-A gift cards are always appreciated.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am

Hand written thank you notes have become very rare things and are all the more appreciated. Accept their gift to you and say thank you. You may be able to do something for them some day but wait for a different occasion.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:24 am

If you're from an area with a noteable local product, and especially if you know your host enjoys that product, consider sending some of that.

If from Chicago, deep dish pizza (it can be packaged with dry ice for shipping)
California - wine or maybe fruit or almonds
Hawaii - coffee
Vermont - maple syrup

Etc...

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 pm

This just happened to me recently. We hosted some folks from far away for 6 days and provided for their every need and meals. I came home from work the other day to find a wonderful gift. It was a beautiful Journal with mostly empty pages except for the first couple of pages that had handwritten notes and memories from the folks that stayed with us. Also some captions from noteworthy authors such as "Mankind is divisible into two great classes: hosts and guests." ~Max Beerbohm

Now I can hand over the journal to future guests to see if they would like to write something inspiring. Provides for memories in our future years.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 pm

Toons wrote:A nice card with a heartfelt Thank You ,
would be Sufficient.
:mrgreen:

They do not need things... but sure, flowers work.

A nice card, and a very nice note expressing how much you appreciated spending time with your friends would likely be very appreciated...

As a young senior citizen... I do not need more things... but always appreciate knowing my hospitality was valued... and will be returned when I am in their neighborhood. :)

Best...

M

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:08 pm

Beer! Assuming the person likes beer, it's always a great gift.

pinecone

Post by pinecone » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Mike Scott wrote:Hand written thank you notes have become very rare things and are all the more appreciated. Accept their gift to you and say thank you. You may be able to do something for them some day but wait for a different occasion.

This is what I was going to answer. A hand written note always trumps a pre-printed greeting card. If you took any pictures from the visit, you could include a few of those. A nice edible or drinkable item is a good thank you gift, but don't feel you must spend the same amount on them that they spent on you.

Morik

Post by Morik » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm

We (wife & I) are relatively wealthy/have everything we want. We are very hard to shop for (even each other) because if there is something we want/need, we generally already have it.

Generally our gifts to each other (which isn't what you were asking, but may give some insight) fall into several categories. The salient one is hand-made/appreciation-based gifts. I.e., don't serve any function, just a nice way of showing you are thinking of them.

So things like cards, home-made artsy cards, flowers, or a desert/snack-like food that you know they appreciate. (E.g., a small box of high quality chocolate.)
Home-made food is also a great gift if it is well made. (Desserts tend to be the best option for that.)