Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tj

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by tj »

darrvao777 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am I recently came across an email offer for Sirius that was $5/month for 12 months and they would throw in a "free" Echo Dot.

My wife, who is as frugal as she is sweet, said we barely drive anywhere anyway. She told me to keep waiting for a better offer.

Less than a week later, I get another email offering 3 months of Sirius for free so long as I pay the $2 activation fee.

So I guess the key is to let your radio service lapse and then just wait out the better offers :)
I recently had something like this for Hulu. I cancelled when TV started showing reruns for the year, and then a couple months later I got an offer for $2.99/mo for 6 months which is half the normal price.

With SiriusXM, I'm not sure the SElect plan would be interesting to me - it excludes all the sports radio broadcasts! I'm fine listening to FM radio for music when in the car.
schmitz

Post by schmitz »

well this is interesting...

I am currently on the phone with sirius trying to cancel my account. (I thought they would try to convince me to stay harder than they did but when I turned down $100/year + fees and $50/6 months + fees he was like "ok lets cancel")

whats strange is he said he was going to start the cancellation process and get me a confirmation number and for the last 10 minutes all I hear is random typing on a keyboard.
probably a fake, looped recorded sound of someone typing but thats it...just over and over.

is he hoping I just hang up and give up and keep my subscription? is this the new tactic?

edit: ok after 15-20 minutes, it stopped and sent me right back to automated menu I got when I first called. haha, what the hell is this?

edit2: sounds like im at the end of the line and have to do the song and dance all over again. anyone have any suggestions? can I just call my credit card company and not let the charge go through?

edit3: can they just never pick up the phone now that they know I want to cancel? are they allowed to simply make it impossible for me to cancel?

edit4: while on hold, I tried the online chat. I had heard it was impossible but I guess not - I was able to cancel online! but they sure dont make it easy
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Hi there Bogleheads -

It's that time of year again... time for my subscription to renew. I went online this year instead of calling SiriusXM. I selected the option to cancel my subscription, and was quickly given several options to stay with SiriusXM. I decided to splurge a bit and go with their All Access service... it'll be nice to be able to listen to baseball games (not that there's much baseball being played this year)... The all-in cost is about 10 bucks a month.

Doing this online is much easier than dealing with them over the phone. No need to wait on hold while their rep pretends to check with his supervisor...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm
Doing this online is much easier than dealing with them over the phone. No need to wait on hold while their rep pretends to check with his supervisor...
+1, this. It's a piece of cake. I cancelled, re-upped @ $5.99 and got the free Echo Dot to boot, all online.
hudson

Post by hudson »

catdude,

If possible and appropriate, would you give the out the door price that you paid for total access?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm Hi there Bogleheads -

It's that time of year again... time for my subscription to renew. I went online this year instead of calling SiriusXM. I selected the option to cancel my subscription, and was quickly given several options to stay with SiriusXM. I decided to splurge a bit and go with their All Access service... it'll be nice to be able to listen to baseball games (not that there's much baseball being played this year)... The all-in cost is about 10 bucks a month.

Totally agree that online is better than calling in. But the chat function works well enough for me.

A month ago I decided to pass on the $60/yr select promo for our 2nd car, since we're hardly driving anymore. About 2 weeks later, they sent an offer to reactivate. It was still $60/yr, but included an upgrade to All Access plus a free Echo Dot. Since we still aren't driving much, we passed on that offer.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

hudson wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 pm catdude,

If possible and appropriate, would you give the out the door price that you paid for total access?
No problem. It's $99 for All-Access, plus $21.19 for the music royalty fee. Total of $120.19...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I had an annual renewal coming up for $247 although I got a cheaper price last year.
The phone lines were busy so they texted.
I said it was too expensive and I am driving less.
I got a 12 month Select package, same channels as now for $73 + $21 fee.
hudson

Out the door prices SELECT only...for one year

Post by hudson »

Select now includes online...at home

Maybe these numbers will help the next caller know what prices others are getting. I'm to lazy to call back and try to get neilpilot/denovo prices....maybe next August.

Calli114 $94
Hudson...me...$88.37
neilpilot....$72.84
denovo....$72.84
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Online chat works well for me.
8 months ago I had renewed for about $7/mo. It was their second offer, and I knew it wasn't the best they could do, but I had other things to do.
2 months ago I renewed for $5/mo for 6 months, plus royalty fees (which appears to be the "resort fee" of SiriusXM).

If they offer me an Echo Dot or a sports package, they will need to significantly reduce the price! :x
rascott

Post by rascott »

catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm Hi there Bogleheads -

+1 login to your account online. Click on you want to cancel..... then the offers will pop up. I got select for $5/mo.... either 6 months for $30 or 12 months for $60.

No reason to call in whatsoever.
like2read

Post by like2read »

+1

Thanks! Just lowered our monthly bill to $4.99 per radio for XM Select for 12 months. Very easy to do online.

As stated above: login and choose cancel.

I chose "because it is too expensive"

Got the pop-up offer for a lower rate.

l2r
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I just got my billing reminder email. Hopefully I can still ‘cancel’ online and get a similar deal to what I got six months ago, as the pandemic was beginning. I really hate calling them.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I was in the last month in July of our current $60 a year plan plus fees (music royalty fees) that made it about $72 a year automatically billed to a credit card monthly when I saw the free echo dot offer. I chatted on line, got an upgrade to All Access plus SiriusXM video whatever that is, an echo dot, and a credit for the remaining portion of the month. I paid it all in one lump sum. Reasonable, but what all you other folks got. On August 27, I got an email from Sirius offering me a free Google Nest mini if I added the Sirius app to my phone and streamed something by August 31st, which I did. The Nest mini arrived yesterday. Not bad.... I guess that they had 25,000 to give away.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Our all access subscription was up for renewal in a couple of weeks. Thanks to this thread I just did the year of select for a pretty good price. Paying on-line allowed me to use my virtual visa card number from Capital One. I'll now disable that card number so that SiriusXM won't gouge me if I forget next year.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

like2read wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm +1

Thanks! Just lowered our monthly bill to $4.99 per radio for XM Select for 12 months. Very easy to do online.

l2r
I don't see that option when I log in. I see:

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Send a refresh signal to this radio
Replace this radio with another
Transfer service to a new car
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:24 am

l2r

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Are you using a browser on a desktop computer? If so, try the Sirius app on your phone. I could not see the option on my desktop, but did on my phone.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

tschaefges wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:12 am
CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:24 am

l2r

I want to...

Change my subscription
Change my term
Are you using a browser on a desktop computer? If so, try the Sirius app on your phone. I could not see the option on my desktop, but did on my phone.
I was using a browser on my desktop. I ended up entering into a chat session through my browser and was offered $10 a month for All Access, for 12 months, which I took to avoid wasting more time before my automatic renewal on September 22. :x I will probably want to downgrade after the NFL season and will try the app next time.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Thank you all. :sharebeer

I had to select don't use it as much option for $4.99 to pop up for select.
Also Amex gave me a $5 statement credit on the SiriusXM Radio Amex offer. :moneybag
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just cancelled then re-upped using the online tap dance. $5/mo for 12 mo and a free Echo Dot. It took all of 5 minutes to do. :)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just did this two weeks ago. They wanted $360 a year for two cars. To borrow Arnold’s classic response, I told them “no chance”.

I was offered $140 for the year which covers two cars.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."