Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OAG

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by OAG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:48 pm

I must be very lucky with SiriusXM radio (and maybe with Pandora (if their merger goes through)). Seems when I purchased a new car over 3 years ago they never turned off the complementary 3 months of SiriusXM Radio. It is still there in the car. I have never been billed for it either. Only thing I can assume is that the dealer somehow installed a "lifetime" subscription to the service.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 pm
Hi Bogleheads -

Just a quick tip FWIW. My subscription for SiriusXM radio was scheduled to automatically renew in early September. The new rate was $218/year. I called them this afternoon and said I wanted to cancel my subscription. They wanted to keep me as a subscriber and offered to extend my promotional rate for another year. Cost: $110/year (prepaid). I accepted their offer. I've been thru this with them several times... when I call to cancel, they always make me an offer to get me to stay. No need to pay full price for their service...
Does anyone pay full price for Sirius Xm? Select runs $25 for six months, sometimes $30. All Access is somewhat higher. RIAA fees are on top of that. If your billing address has sales tax, you'll pay that on top of both.
If you let your subscription lapse, you can get a 3 month all access free trial from time to time.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Que1999 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 am
I've done the exact same thing for the past 5 years. I'll set a reminder on my calendar, about a week before the subscription is set to auto-renew... I always get them down to $5 a month for the next 6 months. I really don't need it in this day and age of smart-phones w/Spotify, IHeartRadio, podcasts, etc.... But for $5 a month for 6 months, sure why not?
Same here.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Toons wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:51 pm
I pay Pandora about 55.00 for a yearly plan.
I stream music through the audio system in the car from the phone.
I used up the free Sirius Trial when I first got the vehicle.
Decided it wasn't for me. :happy
How much is your data plan?

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Blues wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:59 am
Blues wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 am
^^^Even my missus, who is by her own admission no audiophile, says that the Spotify music via bluetooth is much better sounding than SiriusXM.

BTW, for those of you who may wish to save money (over Spotify) and have less demanding needs or tastes, Amazon Music or Prime Music can accomplish the same usage in the vehicle at lower monthly or annual cost. I prefer Spotify after having used all those services, due to its superior algorithm, deeper library and playlists, and "new artist" features.
I seem to recall that some phone service providers don't count some of the streaming music services against your data. Is that the case for you?
No, I only get 2 gb of data a month on my plan and I use very little of it. At home I use Spotify with my wireless router/modem. Before I take off in the 4Runner, I just turn on Spotify, switch it to offline mode and then shut off wireless on the phone before leaving the house.

I use none of my data this way. All my downloads were already done via wireless (not cellular data) at home and the communication between the phone and audio system in the vehicle is strictly via bluetooth.

If it sounds complicated...it isn't.
can you explain this? Do you mean you take some time and stream Spotify to your phone, which you are recording in some way, and then replay it using Bluetooth when in the car?

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Exactly. I download songs, playlists or albums to the iPhone (or other mobile device). I do this while connected wirelessly in my home to my internet service. No data or cellular service involved.

Before I go down to the vehicle, I start the Spotify app, allow it to update any playlists I've downloaded (if desired), switch the setting to "Offline" which shuts off my wireless connection to Spotify.

Turn bluetooth to "on", and play the chosen music to play via the stereo system in the vehicle.

I also have the settings on both the iPhone and Spotify to not allow the app to run on cellular when not connected to a wireless signal.

It's a very straightforward process.

BTW, I can download several albums, songs, playlists contemporaneously. I don't have to listen to them while doing so. I just search for the music, and select it for download to the device. The selections literally download in seconds unless it's a huge playlist with several hundred songs.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Toons wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:51 pm
I pay Pandora about 55.00 for a yearly plan.
I stream music through the audio system in the car from the phone.
I used up the free Sirius Trial when I first got the vehicle.
Decided it wasn't for me. :happy
How much is your data plan?
2 years since this post.
No more Pandora,,Spotify instead
Premium member. 99 a year.
Data plan is straight talk -55.00 per month
unlimited ,,at 60 gigs they may throttle data,,never approached that limit.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Polarize

Post by Polarize » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am

Glad I came across this thread. After paying full freight ($28.50/month) for couple years - made short call to SXM and they easily gave me $58 for 6 months. Enjoy the streaming service, so if I need to negotiate twice a year, I can do that.

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Polarize wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am
Glad I came across this thread. After paying full freight ($28.50/month) for couple years - made short call to SXM and they easily gave me $58 for 6 months. Enjoy the streaming service, so if I need to negotiate twice a year, I can do that.
They should be giving you $30 for six months. If you cancel after your subscription when it expires, they should send you the $30/6 months offer shortly afterward.

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm

itsgot8 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm
Polarize wrote:
They should be giving you $30 for six months. If you cancel after your subscription when it expires, they should send you the $30/6 months offer shortly afterward.
+1. Or just call back and tell them you heard there's a $30/6 promotion going on, and that you would like to take advantage of it. If they give you a hard time, tell them you'll be cancelling.... I'm pretty sure they'll give it to you no problem.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Just finished my negotiation. Got $5.88/Mo select XM on one car and all access for about $10/Mo on the other car. Includes streaming. Both good for a year. Wish I could have gotten less cost for the all access, but I gave up after 30 mins.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 pm

My free trial ends at the end of this month--I got a phone call today (didn't answer), and a mailing offering $4.99/mo for 6 months. Will they bill me? I'm not inclined to give them a credit card number that they can charge rack rate in perpetuity.

beyou

Post by beyou » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I just canceled.
Unless I get a very long term discount, will not re-up.
Can’t stand the dance every 3-6 months, not for me.

When I called to cancel, they kept offering me different deals, despite my insistence to cancel. The guy had a terrible accent such that I couldn’t even understand the deals, and at one point sounded like a recording/AI ! At some point I just stopped responding, left dead silence to point he though I hung up. After 20 secs, just said cancel. Cancel...cancel.. cancel..... Would not acknowledge the offers.

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am

My one year at about $6/month X 2 vehicles rate ended this month so I called to "cancel".

After haggling for a bit, I finally got basically the same rate but for 6 months. I probably should have tried to get it for a year but I just took it when they got to my current monthly rate.

Yeah, kind of irritating to have to do this but I *do* like the service so I guess it's worth it to work a bit for it.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 am

Pandora is better, more mobile, and free.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 am
Free even if you pay for mobile data? I prefer the lower overall cost of my current free cell phone plan with limited "free" data, plus the $5/mo I pay for SiriusXM.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

DarthSage wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 pm
My free trial ends at the end of this month--I got a phone call today (didn't answer), and a mailing offering $4.99/mo for 6 months. Will they bill me? I'm not inclined to give them a credit card number that they can charge rack rate in perpetuity.
You must give them a credit card number in order to have any kind of service after the free trial. Once the trial period is over, you have one of three choices: (1) contact them to cancel service, (2) let them bill you at the regular rate, or (3) contact them to 'negotiate' another 6 months for $30. We opt for the latter.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
I totally agree, but we do not have an unlimited data plan on our phones. It's far cheaper to get XM for $5 a month.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 am

After having gone through the dance (as someone called it up-thread) for a couple of years, this time I tried something different. I kept my two emails from last year. One was the notice from SiriusXM about what my re-up cost would be, and the other was notifying me - after negotiation - of what my new subscription costs. I called and said, basically: "Here's what you wanted to charge me for a year, and here's what you gave me. I know the cost has gone up a bit, but aside from that small escalation, I want the same deal." That was it. She had me wait a few seconds, and told me what my new cost would be. Done.

Although we listen to Pandora at home all the time, we live in Colorado, and we drive lots of places that there is no cell connection and therefore no Pandora. SiriusXM is about the only game in those places. I also think we get exposed to more new stuff on SiriusXM than Pandora, which is kind of refreshing.

tj

Post by tj » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:57 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Free even if you pay for mobile data? I prefer the lower overall cost of my current free cell phone plan with limited "free" data, plus the $5/mo I pay for SiriusXM.
What's your free cell phone plan?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:02 am

tj wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:57 am
neilpilot wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
What's your free cell phone plan?
We pay about $5.50/mo ("free plus tax & fees) for 2 lines on Verizon thru Xfinity mobile. Unlimited voice, text. We usually don't pay for data, which is $12/GB if we exceed 0.1GB. Home & public wifi is usually all we need for data. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=220754&start=100

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
Unlimited data

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
Unlimited data
You pay for unlimited data, I pay much less for XM

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:30 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
Unlimited data
Good for you. I have unlimited data regardless, so it costs me nothing on the margin.

And 90% of the time I can use it via WiFi. Can you do that with XM?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:46 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:30 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
Unlimited data
Good for you. I have unlimited data regardless, so it costs me nothing on the margin.

And 90% of the time I can use it via WiFi. Can you do that with XM?
Actually yes, XM works on my WiFi. XM also works in my airplane where data and WiFi aren’t available.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am
DarthSage wrote:
You must give them a credit card number in order to have any kind of service after the free trial.

I just renewed this week after my trial expired using prepaid cards from Best Buy, 6 months/$35.66. First tried on their website but the system "required" my cc#--even using the prepaid cards. So I called them and was easily renewed without giving a VISA; and called from work so they don't have my cell #. They're a nefarious billing machine so the less personal info we give, the better!
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
DarthSage wrote:
You must give them a credit card number in order to have any kind of service after the free trial. Once the trial period is over, you have one of three choices: (1) contact them to cancel service, (2) let them bill you at the regular rate, or (3) contact them to 'negotiate' another 6 months for $30. We opt for the latter.
I just renewed this week after my trial expired using prepaid cards from Best Buy, 6 months/$35.66. First tried on their website but the system "required" my cc#--even using the prepaid cards. So I called them and was easily renewed without giving a VISA; and called from work so they don't have my cell #. They're a nefarious billing machine so the less personal info we give, the better!

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
DarthSage wrote:
True, but you don't have to give them a credit card number with more money available than whatever your initial payment costs or an expiration date longer than needed. Never give recurring charges an unlimited credit card number account unless you want unlimited charges.

Also, there is no negotiation with XMSirius. You either get their advertised price or one of their preset promotional rates.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:14 pm

itsgot8 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm
Polarize wrote:
$30 for 6 months is only for their Select level. All Access costs more, even with promotional rates. (Unless you get a 3 month free trial....)

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:27 pm

With modern vehicles these days you can stream pretty much anything you want for free thru your phone to your vehicle audio. I see no need whatever for a satellite radio service.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Atilla wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:27 pm
With modern vehicles these days you can stream pretty much anything you want for free thru your phone to your vehicle audio. I see no need whatever for a satellite radio service.
That only works when you have data service and can or want to use it. Much of my driving in western states (and even east of that) is far beyond this limitation. XM works regardless of mobile service, including the Mojave desert, mountainous terrain, and aboard boats and and an airplane. If you aren’t looking for content from satellites, this thread will not be useful.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Atilla wrote:
That assumes that you have a phone with unlimited data. Many of us do not.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

Update: They called me again, I got the $5mo/6mo rate. They said I could be billed and pay by check. I have my doubts--they also said they'd send an e-bill the day it expires, due on receipt, which doesn't give a lot of time to mail a check. I could probably do it through Paypal, but I want to avoid the auto-withdrawal.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 pm
Atilla wrote:
I stream audio at will and never exceed 1.5 - 2 gigs or whatever per month. Audio doesn't suck up data - video does.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Atilla wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Atilla wrote:
I stream audio at will and never exceed 1.5 - 2 gigs or whatever per month. Audio doesn't suck up data - video does.
We just upgraded from a 2 gb plan to a 4 gb plan, so consuming half of that streaming music doesn't make as much sense as paying $5 per month for XM.

Paul78

Post by Paul78 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 am

Atilla wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Atilla wrote:
It also depends on how much you travel. I just drove 32 hours this past week. 18 of those 32 hours occurred in places with no data reception BUT the areas did have sat reception. So sirius was a huge plus on that trip. Now granted you could just always put in the effort and download the music in advance removing the need for data reception...

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 am

I found the sat reception was erratic in many locations and weather conditions. If you have both sat and cell phone music streaming, I still would drive places where neither works.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 pm

They have a pretty good deal going on right now, if you are on the fence. $50 gets you 6 months of All-Access (which gets you all stations including Howard Stern), and the latest gen Echo Dot. You will need to set a reminder to cancel before the auto-renewal at 6 months though.

https://www.siriusxm.com/6for50AAPSDot? ... 650AAPSDOT

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 pm
They have a pretty good deal going on right now, if you are on the fence. $50 gets you 6 months of All-Access (which gets you all stations including Howard Stern), and the latest gen Echo Dot. You will need to set a reminder to cancel before the auto-renewal at 6 months though.

https://www.siriusxm.com/6for50AAPSDot? ... 650AAPSDOT
Two issues with that offer,,,,,new subscribers only....and they require a credit card. I’ve played the stupid promo-every-5 or 6 months since 2008, and don’t trust them with my CC. I pay by check only.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am

As I mentioned a few days ago, use Best Buy prepaid cards for renewals--must call an "agent" but no cc required 8-)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 am

spitty wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am
As I mentioned a few days ago, use Best Buy prepaid cards for renewals--must call an "agent" but no cc required 8-)
The offer above specifically mentions that a credit card is required and must be on file.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:55 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 am
spitty wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am
The offer above specifically mentions that a credit card is required and must be on file.
If only there was a way to set an arbitrary credit limit and expiration date to a credit card number to avoid unexpected/undesired charges.....(hint, see Bank of America, Citibank,....)

spitty

Post by spitty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm

My offer said the same thing--I have a 6 month post-trial renewal and they do not have my cc number.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I don't see the problem with giving them your credit card number. I just set a reminder on my phone to call them a few days before it renews to set up a new promotional trial. If we don't want to do that, we just cancel service. It's no different than anyone else making a recurring charge to your credit card. It's a lot easier than doing it with a check (many won't do that), and it's safer than using a debit card linked to a bank account.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:42 am

i made my annual call to sirius last week saved $100 off the $229 they were going to charge me. so it's $129 if you call and say it's too expensive or $229 if you don't (and i know you can get it even lower if you want to do the process every 6 months instead of every year).

i really hate doing this and wish they would set a "real" price of like $150 for everybody -- take it or leave it no deals.

btw -- i pay magazine subscriptions by check -- that way they can't auto renew me at the higher price.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am

miles monroe wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:42 am
...btw -- i pay magazine subscriptions by check -- that way they can't auto renew me at the higher price.
I pay using a Citibank Virtual Account Number - set for the exact dollar value of the original charge. Makes vendors (i.e. WSJ, Paypal, XM, etc.) NUTS when they go to automatically charge your card for “convenience” at the end of the cycle - and it’s rejected.

roadPilot

Post by roadPilot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am
I pay using a Citibank Virtual Account Number
I added another vehicle under the $30 for 6 months deal a couple months back. I had forgotten about the OTHER two (new) vehicles that had converted to normal billing a couple months back. So, thanks to this thread serving a reminder, I'm paying $71.32 every 6 months (total) for both cars instead of the $192.78 I *would* have spent had I just let it bill.

Oh, and yes, I used a virtual account number with my Citi Double Cash rewards card with JUST enough on it to complete the transaction ... :)

spitty

Post by spitty » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Love the idea of a virtual cc amount--gotta look into that!

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 am

Don't forget that the Thanksgiving free trial for XM/Sirius is now in effect. Everyone gets free Sirius for the next week or so. (Most channels, not all). So you can put off renewing until the trial ends.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 am

criticalmass wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 am
Don't forget that the Thanksgiving free trial for XM/Sirius is now in effect. Everyone gets free Sirius for the next week or so. (Most channels, not all). So you can put off renewing until the trial ends.
If your current trial is ending and you “put off renewing until the trial ends” you will be invoiced at their rack rate for the free Thanksgiving trial period.