Upcoming Road Trip Restaurant Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lindrobe

Upcoming Road Trip Restaurant Recommendations

Post by Lindrobe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm

I am flying into Philadelphia on Wednesday for a short road trip to catch some baseball games. Wednesday evening we are driving to North Brunswick, NJ where we will stay the night. Thursday morning we will drive the rest of the way to the NY Mets stadium and catch the Thursday night game. Staying in Long Island City on Thurday night. Friday morning, we are driving back to Philadelphia to catch the Phillies night game. Any recommendations for restaurants in any of these towns? I am a bit of a foodie and I prefer not to eat at chain restaurants. My husband and I love to visit the local breweries and restaurants and would appreciate and restaurant advice you can give. I like smaller, mom and pop type restaurants (think Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives), so not really looking for the fancy type.
Last edited by Lindrobe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

user5027

Re: Upcoming Raod Trip Restaurant Recommendations

Post by user5027 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Lindrobe wrote:I like smaller, mom and pop type restaurants (think Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives), so not really looking for the fancy type.
When I read this I thought of It's Nutts. They are half way between Philadelphia and North Brunswick a few miles off I-95. They have a very extensive menu for the looks of the place. They are a BYOB.

http://itsnuttsrestaurant.com/

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:43 pm

It's Nutts is not really on the way between North Brunswick and Philadelphia, and would require a 20 minute drive in each direction from I-95. I've been there. It's ok.

If you're going to be in North Brunswick for a few days, I'd recommend Harold's in Edison. They owner used to work at the Carnegie Deli in NYC, and combined the menus of the Carnegie Deli and Claremont Diner. Excellent Pastrami. Take a look at the pictures. Everything is intended to be shared!
http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/

When you're at the Mets game, I'd resist the urge to go to Shake Shack. It's a good burger, but not worth missing 2-3 innings to wait on line for it. There's a Shake Shack in Bridgewater, NJ if you really want it.

Try Chickie and Pete's as you get closer to Philly. They started out as a small place in NE Philly, but they branched out to a few places in South NJ and PA. Technically, that makes it a chain, but a very local Philly-oriented chain.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:47 pm

I just read the menu for It's Nutts. It looks like it's changed a lot since I was there last. Looks pretty good. If you like Guy's recommendations, it might be worth a side trip.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:46 pm

njboater74 wrote:It's Nutts is not really on the way between North Brunswick and Philadelphia, and would require a 20 minute drive in each direction from I-95.
It is 5 minutes from 95.

Link to Google Maps with Directions from 95

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:56 pm

If you drive through Hoboken NJ, check out La Isla Restaurant for Cuban food. If in the mood for a sandwich, visit Vito's Deli also in Hoboken.
Wiki

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Depending on timing you can drive in to New Brunswick from North Brunswick (or stay there instead). Downtown would have Harvest Moon Brew Pub who makes there own brew. Or always Stuff Yer Face for bolis. It is a college fave (Rutgers is in New Brunswick) was on man vs food and certainly qualifies as a dive. Also has an extensive beer menu.

That said, Arthur's in North Brunswick is steady though I'd go New Brunswick (I am biased though)

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 pm

user5027 wrote:
njboater74 wrote:It's Nutts is not really on the way between North Brunswick and Philadelphia, and would require a 20 minute drive in each direction from I-95.
It is 5 minutes from 95.

Link to Google Maps with Directions from 95
So it is. I thought it was closer to New Hope.

Lindrobe

Re: Upcoming Road Trip Restaurant Recommendations

Post by Lindrobe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks for the replies! Plenty of suggestions for NJ. Any more suggestions for NY or Philly?

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 am

Lindrobe wrote:Thanks for the replies! Plenty of suggestions for NJ. Any more suggestions for NY or Philly?
Have you checked out Trip Advisor? I have always had very good luck with their reviews.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:39 am

Johns Roast Pork. Snyder Ave in south Philly.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:24 am

Last night we watched DD&D.

Guy was at a place in Mt. Airy, Pa called Geechee Girl. We both fell in love with it. The North African Chicken looked amazing.

Not sure if that is in your area or not, but I would definately check this out.

ed

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:40 am

I used to go into Philly just to eat at Han Dynasty (great noodles), the Oyster House (whole belly clams), and DiNics at Reading Terminal Market (roast pork sandwich). Sometimes all three the same day. If you didn't grow up in New England, you might skip the whole belly clams, as some find the concept revolting...

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:07 am

In Philly, go to the Reading Terminal Market, every single day if you can. If you want the local taste, you will have dozens of excellent places to choose from.

In NY, Carmine's is excellent Italian. A bit touristy, but the food stacks up to anything from Little Italy. If you want something less touristy, John's on 12th in the East Village, or Vincent's or Puglia in Little Italy are a lot of fun as well.

Katz's on Houston Street is the best Jewish deli in NY. I know I made the recommendation to go to Harold's in NJ, so you don't need to do both. But if you do one, I'd go for Katz's.

Of course, there are tons of great places in NY and Philly, but these are the places that I feel capture the local atmosphere and flavors the best.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:49 am

Diner in Philly...

Everybody who knows goes to Melrose...
Youtube Jingle

Close to the stadium complex too...
Melrose website

RandomUser

Post by RandomUser » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Lindrobe wrote:I like smaller, mom and pop type restaurants (think Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives), so not really looking for the fancy type.
Check out tvfoodmaps.com for a searchable index of all the Triple D restaurants. We use it all the time while traveling.

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 am

njboater74 wrote:In Philly, go to the Reading Terminal Market, every single day if you can.
My hotel in Philly is right by the Reading Terminal Market! Will definitely check it out.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Flushing, NY (the neighborhood in Queens that includes CitiField) has some excellent Chinese food and other kinds of Asian food. I've heard that soup dumplings are a particular specialty of some restaurants in Flushing. You may want to check Yelp for reviews.

Sounds like a great trip! I've taken one trip to another state that was "for" baseball and have fit in games incidental to trips to other cities. I hope to take some more purposeful baseball trips after I retire, and maybe go to Spring Training some year.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Lindrobe wrote:
njboater74 wrote:In Philly, go to the Reading Terminal Market, every single day if you can.
My hotel in Philly is right by the Reading Terminal Market! Will definitely check it out.
Definitely treat yourselves to some Beiler's doughnuts, especially the cream filled versions. Do not be intimidated buy the line, it moves very fast!

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:09 pm

There's a restaurant in downtown Philly called Cuba Libre. Nice ambience and good food, but a little expensive, I think (not sure, because my date ended up paying for it). Their homemade mango butter on bread was amazing (literally the best butter I've ever eaten) and I asked for a second helping, so I was full before the main course came.

It's set in a plantation style courtyard house, and at night when the music starts up it's really nice.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:20 am

Lindrobe...If you're in Philly, and you're a 'foodie', then I have a recommendation that is a little outside the box: The Marrakesh (Leithgow Alley, off South Street in Philly). It is Moroccan food, served in traditional style.

They are cash only, so if it is just you and your spouse, bring a couple of hundred in cash. There is an ATM across the street (charges 2 bucks).
They do serve alcohol
Plan on 2-3 hours for dinner

I highly recommend it. You can check it out on TripAdvisor. The food is superior, the total experience in outstanding.

Cuba Libre is good, I have been there (Philly). But I would recommend Mixto, if you have a yearning for spanish food. It is outstanding.

In the New Brunswick area, I would look to Princeton for restaurants.

EDIT: If small, out of the way diners are your thing, I'd recommend the White House Diner, Moorestown, NJ. You will not be disappointed.
Last edited by AtlasShrugged? on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:25 am

Philly, if looking DDD, check out Good Dog. More of a bar like atmosphere with tables scattered around. We all had the burgers there and it was fantastic.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:23 pm

How about Goodfellas in Garfield, NJ?

http://goodfellasristorante.com
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 am

I just got home from my trip. Thanks for all of the recommendations. We ended up at the Harvest Moon Brewery on Wednesday. Pretty good food. For lunch on Thursday, we went to a place called Destination Dogs. I would highly recommend if you live in NJ and haven'the been there. They had about 30 different hot dogs and sausages on the menu. Most of the hot dogs, saugages, and even the condiments are made in house. For dinner on Thursday, we ended up eating at Citi Field because traffic was bad. Nothng exciting. Friday, we headed back to Philly and ate at the Reading Terminal Market. I was blown away by the market! In my opinion, it is better than Pike's in Seattle. We did wait in line for a donut at Beiler's and it was worth it! At Citizens Bank Park, I got some crab fries from Chickie and Pete's. Pretty good, but I dont know if they are worth all the craze.