Four years old spilled dark nail Polish on carpet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

Four years old spilled dark nail Polish on carpet

Post by sksbog » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:08 am

My four years old daughter spilled dark nail Polish on carpet. It's pretty bad. Saw some youtube videos but really not sure what really works.
Has anyone of you had such experience before? Please share what worked out for you?

dsb012

Re: Four years old spilled dark nail Polish on carpet

Post by dsb012 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Google "carpet repair". I had a plumber spill purple PVC cement during a repair on some carpet. The carpet repair firm cut a small section of the carpet out of the corner of a closet and used that to patch the area where the PVC cement was spilled.

I had to look very closely on my hands and knees to see where the repair was. From eye level no one could tell.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:07 pm

I don't know how to remove nail polish from carpet but I have cut out stained areas of carpet and put in new patches. I always keep some carpet remnants up in the attic for that purpose though after time and fading, they may not work. If I don't have a good match, I sometimes rob a patch in say a closet where it won't be seen and patch it in the highly visible stained spot. You need some carpet tape, hot glue gun and a good sharp utility knife and some time. Make sure you know the direction your carpet is woven and cut your patch in the same direction. There are many videos on Youtube demonstrating the techniques.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Pretty simple if it's a wall-to-wall type of carpet; cut out the bad piece and replace it with a good piece of identical carpet. -- Tet

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 pm

tetractys wrote:Pretty simple if it's a wall-to-wall type of carpet; cut out the bad piece and replace it with a good piece of identical carpet. -- Tet
And If it's in a very noticeable place I would call a carpet repair person to do this.

LifeOfRiley

Post by LifeOfRiley » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Do not use nail polish remover. You might try scraping off the dry polish if it's not too much.

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Move furniture to cover it? :oops: Sorry, not the answer you are looking for, but a fix we've used in the past. Good luck!

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Main thing is: Don't blame the 4 year old!
I had a 25 year old daughter do the same thing. Then she couldn't understand why I was upset.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 am

I just had the same thing happen to me last week - bright purple nail polish on cream colored carpet. I quickly blotted up as much as I could with paper towels - then searched online for solutions.

I used nail polish remover to blot - several times, each time, picking up one more layer of color. There are cautions online about using so much that it ruins your carpet. I just got patient and used some on paper towels - again and again and again - never pouring it into the carpet itself.

It's now gone but there is a faint pigment shadow. It's been recommended to me to use Lestoil to get up the rest of it.

If I were you, I'd use google for research.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.