Cutting the Cord - Playstation Vue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HardHitter

Cutting the Cord - Playstation Vue

Post by HardHitter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 am

Hi All,

I've had Directv for about 5 years now paying $120/mo. My brother in law/sister just cancelled their subscription and went to Playstation Vue. I for one could care less about TV other than watching sports.

My wife and I are giving it a shot (7 day trial) and so far, it has held up. We are doing the Core package which is a $45/mo package. She just cars about Bravo, MTV, Food Network, HGTV while I care about sports (ESPN, Fox Sports Bay Area, TNT, etc.) Only problem I see is that it doesn't have NBC Sports but maybe sooner or later it will.

So from $120/mo with no movie channels, we are now paying $45 Playstation Vue + $15 HBO Go.

I think once this week trial ends, we are going to cut it but wanted to see what everyone's experience been with Vue or any other services!

DSInvestor

Re: Cutting the Cord - Playstation Vue

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 am

HardHitter wrote: So from $120/mo with no movie channels, we are now paying $45 Playstation Vue + $15 HBO Go.

I think once this week trial ends, we are going to cut it but wanted to see what everyone's experience been with Vue or any other services!
Does that $120/month include internet access? How much would internet cost on top of the $45 + $15? I don't watch sports much so it was easy for me to get cut the cord. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus (current season TV shows but see that Homeland seasons 1-4 is available now), Amazon Prime (includes streaming service), MLB for my wife. I pay comcast for internet service which can be $40-100 depending on the level of service you need. We have multiple devices doing cloud backups and stream lots so we pay 100Mbps down and 10Mpbs up for $66/month (up from $29/month for 12 months intro price).

If you're comfortable watching content on mobile devices you may be able to get by without internet service at home and just use the cell phone plan that you already pay for (or employer pays for). T-Mobile plans have Binge-On feature which allows you to view streaming content without eating up your data allowance. T-Mobile service isn't great in SF Bay Area though. Cricket Wireless has unlimited data plan for 70/month. This may be an option if you and your wife both have unlimited data plans. My wife uses Binge on feature on T-Mobile to watch MLB games on her iPad when we are on road trips. I prefer to watch content on my TV using Roku or Apple TV streaming boxes so I pay for home internet.
Wiki

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 am

We cut the cable a few months ago but, with the Olympics this past few weeks, signed up for Playstation Vue so we could stream what/when we want (including the obscure sports like equestrian and shooting). Our plan worked and I will be terminating my account shortly. The thing that amazed me is how much junk I don't miss that we used to watch, and how Netflix/Amazon Prime and local OTA has completely filled the void. I will sign up for the NFL replays so I can watch my Packers, but that's about it. All that said, Playstation Vue was a pretty good option if you want access to content available only over cable.

elbryn1000

Post by elbryn1000 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:59 am

we cut the cord officially a few years ago and got used to netflix being the primary tv thing. i hit sling up last year for espn, really so i could get watchespn for college football. only bad thing is not having the big ten network there. it's a somewhat amazing turnaround, we just trialed psvue and found that we really couldnt watch tv anymore. commercials were such a turnoff that we quickly quit trying. i also cant justify the $35 a month to get just the big ten network so plan to go back to sling. i might miss a game or two but there's always the radio and truth be told, if my buckeyes lose to bowling green or tulsa, it's going to be a horrible season.. i might just go hide under a rock.

aj44

Post by aj44 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Cut the cord 3 years ago and signed up for Sony Vue a few months ago, I love the service. It comes at the lower rate than cable and I don't even have to sign a contract or call every year to threaten to cancel to get the best rate. I'll be keeping it.

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 pm

We use PSVue here too in baton rouge. We have the middle tier (espn, sec, all the disney and kid stuff) and with our cable internet the total comes to $105 for internet and vue. I have an antenna for locals also as vue doesn't carry them yet in my area.

Extremely pleased with the service and price.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:12 pm

DSInvestor wrote: Does that $120/month include internet access? How much would internet cost on top of the $45 + $15?
Directv is $120 just TV service
Comcast internet is $60

I ran all 3 TVs streaming PS Vue (1 hard wired, 2 on wifi), had our phones and laptops connected to the wifi and was playing a PC shooter online (hard wired) and so far didn't experience any delays/buffering due to internet limitations on anything.

So I'm going from $180/mo to $120/mo.

In my opinion, I'm paying $60 less a month and although I'm losing channels going from Directv to PS Vue, I feel like I'm actually gaining because I really only watch certain channels and now we have HBO which we never had before.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:26 pm

You should also look into Sling TV. It is similar to PS Vue. They offer a different channel selection with different pricing tiers. You can also add on buckets of channels for an additional fee.

Compare the channel lineups and see what is cheaper for what you want.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:28 pm

investor1 wrote:You should also look into Sling TV. It is similar to PS Vue. They offer a different channel selection with different pricing tiers. You can also add on buckets of channels for an additional fee.

Compare the channel lineups and see what is cheaper for what you want.
Does Sling TV allow DVR? I'll look into it

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm

I've been trying to talk my wife into cutting the cord. Maybe I will use the Vue free trial to convince her.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:03 pm

4+ good months on Playstation Vue here. Quality is very good. Features and functionality on Amazon Fire TV are very good.

It works better on the Amazon Fire TV compared to the Fire Stick. RAM/Processor being the difference.

The only hiccup is Fox Sports North was missing, then I had it for a month, now it is missing again.

Internet ($37/month) + PS Vue ($34.99/month) + Netflix ($11.99/month). I am considering adding Showtime to Vue for the winter at $10/month.

Not free, OTA, but there is no way to drop internet. The value compared to DirecTV (previous) is very good.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:30 pm

My household has been with Vue since March Madness of this year. :thumbsup so far. I chose Vue over Sling for the 5 simultaneous streams and better selection of channels.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 am

One night of Vue and I'm pretty much ready to tell cox to hit the bricks. Would save us around $70/month and with a baby on the way we need all we can save.

Thanks op

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:23 am

60/month for TV still seems quite expensive. I realize it's half the cost of directTV, but directTV is a scam, so that isn't really saying much.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:34 am

Love PlayStation VUE...I have the mid tier plan for $35 and local channels OTA.

Just noticed yesterday that they added NFL network. Love that I get all the sports and Dvr for a fraction of what I was paying Verizon. Biggest savings come from not having to rent all of the boxes and pay a DVR fee.

Slingtv wouldn't work for my household even if they have all the same channels as VUE. Need to be able to watch more than 1 tv at once and prefer to have DVR capabilities.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 am

I thought I'd resuscitate this thread from ~ 5 months ago and see if anyone is interested in giving us an update on their experiences with PlayStation VUE. I'm probably gonna be doing the 7-day free trial soon. I tried Sling a couple weeks ago but that was pretty disappointing -- poor picture quality, etc.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 am

I've had Vue since it came out. I really like it. Lots of channel apps to log into, nice dvr feature, runs well on Roku & AppleTV. I also took advantage of DirecTV Now's trial with the AppleTV. I will not renew. Vue in my book is better. By the way, Vue is best on the AppleTV or Amazon Fire. It plays fine on the Roku but the channel guide stinks.
Too soon old, too late smart.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:54 am

I have had Vue since it came out. Works great for our family and have no intentions of changing anything. I use it with a Fire Tv, PlayStation, Roku, and chrome cast. Fire tv works the best in my opinion but the other options are fine also...I have never tried Apple TV.

Also works great on iPads, iPhone, etc.

Vue is great for homes with multiple tvs.

Trimms

Post by Trimms » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:06 am

I purchased an Amazon fire for each TV in our house and we love using PlayStation Vue with them. I purchased an antenna for one of the TVs for when we need to watch NBC and ABC live (for sports usually). Otherwise those channels have all their shows on demand. My advice is to figure out which shows you usually watch and be sure to designate them as favorites. This way the service will record each time the show airs and you can access it anytime. The DVR is in the cloud, so there's no need to delete anything to make space.

Short version: Yes, get it. We've had a great experience with it.

eog

Post by eog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:27 am

Another happy vue user here. The only reason I have it is because of local sports. Vue is the only service that allows me to watch local NBA games. I honestly don't ever watch anything else on it. One thing I really like abut is I can suspend my subscription during the offseason and just start it again around October. We don't really watch too much TV during the summer.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:44 am

I've been using it for a few months and really like it. I have it hooked up through Amazon Fire TV and it works well. I love the cloud DVR feature with unlimited storage (holding shows for 30 days). Previously with Verizon, my wife and I were constantly deleting programs in order to make space for new ones.

My only complaint is that we lost the Nick Jr. channel a couple of months ago, which was my son's favorite. However we still have Disney Jr. and that seems to fill the void. We have the local NBC and Fox channels but no ABC and CBS. Now that football season is over, I downgraded to the $29.99 package since I have no use for the NFL Network in the off-season and it's a great overall value.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:40 pm

We are coming up on a year on PS Vue. We have Amazon Fire TV/Fire Sticks on each TV. Full Amazon Fire TV is very fast. Amazon Fire Stick works good, it is just slower and you may have a little time while the station buffers. Even if slower on the Stick, it is still a good experience.

We are a market without locals. Although they did add the local CBS recently. We are on the $34.99 package. OTA to watch anything live on the locals.

Vue works really good. As others mentioned, the cloud DVR works great. Just add all your shows to your favorites. We have a profile set up for each family member. I've noticed a few channels (MTV, Comedy Central) that are offline. They must be having a contract spat. But those affect nearly all cable providers from time to time.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead