AC blower motor died. need replacement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

AC blower motor died. need replacement

Post by sksbog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14 am

Yesterday, my carrier AC unit's blower motor died. The repair guy called the company, and sure enough, this February, 5-year warranty expired.
The new unit costs $840 including taxes.
What are my options? Need to fix this quickly, as its 95-degree weather outside.

adamthesmythe

Re: AC blower motor died. need replacement

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 am

> What are my options?

1. Replace blower motor.

2. Replace entire unit.

3. Sweat it out.

But I guess you knew that.

Replacing a blower motor would not require breaking the refrigerant loop, so I suppose it would be possible to buy the part and replace it yourself.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:18 am

The blower motor should run $130 - $260. Why do you need to replace the entire external unit?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 am

Are you sure it's the motor? Last time my blower stopped working it was the capacitor that's very cheap to replace. How much are the quoting you to repair the motor vs replacement? Is the unit only 5 years old? If it were much older then replacing is more likely. All depends on the specifics of your situation.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am

sksbog wrote:Yesterday, my carrier AC unit's blower motor died. The repair guy called the company, and sure enough, this February, 5-year warranty expired.
What are my options? Need to fix this quickly, as its 95-degree weather outside.
Sounds like he is quoting you a price for entire "air handler" not just the fan. I had our fan replaced a few years back. I think it was $250. If yours is 10 years old or older you probably need and whole new air handler. It is all rusted and leaking water?

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 am

OP -
Just to be clear, are you talking about the blower motor in the outdoor compressor unit, or are you talking about the indoor blower motor that circulates air in the ducts?

Regardless, other posters are correct. First try replacing the capacitor. If it really is the motor and you are at all comfortable with AC wiring, then it should be a fairly easy DIY project.

Can you post the brand/model?

malbecman

Post by malbecman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:51 am

If it is the capacitor (which it often is), you can get one from Home D. or any large home improvement store. They look like big firecrackers and when they go bad, they usually get all swollen looking or have some burn marks. You can Google it.
Replacing them is easy, just make sure you have the power completely off and/or disconnected.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:11 am

> First try replacing the capacitor.

Just had a guy look at my AC, he showed me his meter that can check the capacitors. Actually he wrote down the measured value on the work order. Presumably your guy did this check also (ask!).

There are also checks for the motors- I recall checks of insulation resistance and current draw.

So if you had a good guy- he knows whether the problem is a capacitor or not.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 am

malbecman wrote:If it is the capacitor (which it often is), you can get one from Home D. or any large home improvement store. They look like big firecrackers and when they go bad, they usually get all swollen looking or have some burn marks. You can Google it.
Replacing them is easy, just make sure you have the power completely off and/or disconnected.
And check Google/Youtube for how to discharge the capacitor before messing with it!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 am

Before going in and replacing your capacitor...make sure you know the safety steps.

Even after you turn off the power, those things have remaining charge..well because they are "capacitors."

You need to look at "how to discharge a capacitor."

Everybody's right...you can them at the HD or even a local HVAC supply house...just make sure you get the right one.

If you get your HVAC guy to do it, they'll charge $100 to $250. The part is only about $10 to $25.

The blower motor is a common piece that goes out. I live in the south and we typically have 2 piece systems...where the air handler that contains the blower motor is in the attic or the crawl space. I just had one go out earlier this summer in a rental house. It cost me $300 to get a new one installed...including parts.

The compressor is the thing outside your home that you typically do see running with a fan.

campos202

Post by campos202 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:23 am

I just replaced the blower motor in my Trane furnace's air handler in my attic (blows over internal coil and furnace), and to DIY it was around $100 for a generic motor. The actual OEM part was about $200, and an A/C tech quoted me about $400. If when it starts up you hear just a hum it means it is probably the blower motor. If the power off you cannot freely spin the fan it probably means it is shot (it should spin freely).

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:38 am

sksbog wrote:Yesterday, my carrier AC unit's blower motor died. The repair guy called the company, and sure enough, this February, 5-year warranty expired.
It's a simple repair - I just did it a month and a half ago.

Buy a blower motor online and spent a Saturday morning doing it after researching Google and my Haynes manual.

A blower motor is usually about $60. I got the Motorcraft OEM (I don't mess around with my A/C!) for $107 on Amazon.

JT

P.S. If it's really the blower and not the relay or resistor (also check the fuse), give her a couple of knocks with a hammer. It should get the motor going again. I was able to do this for three days before my part came in. It probably wouldn't have worked the 4th day, it would get progressively weaker each day.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am

bottlecap wrote:It's a simple repair - I just did it a month and a half ago.

Buy a blower motor online and spent a Saturday morning doing it after researching Google and my Haynes manual.

A blower motor is usually about $60. I got the Motorcraft OEM (I don't mess around with my A/C!) for $107 on Amazon.
It sounds like you are talking about an automobile A/C, the OP is talking about a home (Carrier brand) A/C. Big difference in price.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 am

One option would be to buy a window unit to give you some time to shop around.

If your air handler has an ECM, $840 might be a pretty good price for an AC company replacing it. If it is a PSC motor, that's a bit much. If it is a PSC motor, the start capacitor is a likely suspect, as noted, but your tech would have checked that.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
bottlecap wrote:It's a simple repair - I just did it a month and a half ago.

It sounds like you are talking about an automobile A/C, the OP is talking about a home (Carrier brand) A/C. Big difference in price.

You're right I missed the carrier part. I'd still bang it with a hammer though. Might work!

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm

I meant home air conditioner, not automotive.
apologies, for not being clear.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Just found out The air handler in my HVAC has ECM.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Grainger can be a good source for HVAC parts, depending on how close they are. They won't be the absolute cheapest, but they have real stores so you can actually eyeball the part before accepting it.

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm

sksbog wrote:Just found out The air handler in my HVAC has ECM.
Then it might be the board the drives the motor....

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Idea. Oil furnace motor bearings to prevent failure.

I don't have central air, swamp cooler instead, but do have central heat.

Wanting to avoid bearings going bad from lack of lubrication, pulled out furnace air circulating motor carrier to oil motor the first and second years I was in my new/old home. By the third year I was getting lazy, but job needed doing.

Oiling cups. Made motor easier to oil by running thinest copper tubing (1/8"?) from 2 bearing oiling holes, outside the carrier to new bracket attached atop carrier and above bearing level. Half a copper tubing union, attached to each free end of copper tubing, and mounted vertically through bracket, makes a small oiling cup.

I put a small cover over each oil cup to keep out dust. A Nelson sprinkler nozzle is the perfect size for an oiling cup cover. A piece of dense mesh material stuck in the nozzle, covers the nozzle outlet hole but allows air to enter.

Now, each year when servicing furnace before startup, I put 10-15 drops of oil into each oil cup (enough to fill each). (A "zoom spout oil bottle" makes oiling easy.) The oil drains from the cups and runs to the fan bearings. Much easier than removing blower motor carrier to do the oiling job.

Annual furnace servicing now takes 5 minutes (change air filter, oil 2 motors: air circulating motor, burner positive draft motor), instead of 30-45 minutes (gather tools, change air filter, remove carrier, oil motors, reinstall carrier, put tools away).
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (air conditioner).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.