Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm

crazygrow wrote:Good luck to everyone trying to get into the totality zones. They are saying the road between Idaho and Utah (I-15) will be backed up for hours and potentially days, especially afterwards. In Idaho they are putting out port a potties along the freeway and encouraging people to have several days of supplies in their cars...
Who is saying this? I'm going to Missouri. I'd like to see what my traffic conditions could be.

Edit: I'm arriving the day before and leaving the day after. Staying two nights in the St. Louis area. So I should be okay.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a5ehren

Post by a5ehren » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Oregon is expecting an 8x increase in travel times between Salem and Portland, apparently.

General advice is to get in the zone the day before and leave the day after if you can. That's what I'm doing in Georgia - nice little vacation, too.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

I will believe these traffic issues when I see them. I don't know anyone else who is planning to drive to see the eclipse, most people haven't even heard of it and those that have typically say that they will just watch it from home, not realizing there is a big difference between being in the zone of totality and not.

I could be wrong and never make it to my destination that day but I hope not. I could see an issue leaving maybe but backed up for days?

a5ehren

Post by a5ehren » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Kenkat wrote:I will believe these traffic issues when I see them. I don't know anyone else who is planning to drive to see the eclipse, most people haven't even heard of it and those that have typically say that they will just watch it from home, not realizing there is a big difference between being in the zone of totality and not.

I could be wrong and never make it to my destination that day but I hope not. I could see an issue leaving maybe but backed up for days?
Remember that the mountain west is not as developed as the east coast -- I-15 is literally the only road from SLC to the totality zone without going on a multi-hour detour into Montana.

I wouldn't want to be on I-5 or I-25 that day, either. Once you get out of the Rockies, you start having tons and tons of options, though.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 pm

a5ehren wrote:
Kenkat wrote:I will believe these traffic issues when I see them. I don't know anyone else who is planning to drive to see the eclipse, most people haven't even heard of it and those that have typically say that they will just watch it from home, not realizing there is a big difference between being in the zone of totality and not.

Remember that the mountain west is not as developed as the east coast -- I-15 is literally the only road from SLC to the totality zone without going on a multi-hour detour into Montana.

I wouldn't want to be on I-5 or I-25 that day, either. Once you get out of the Rockies, you start having tons and tons of options, though.
Yes, that is true about the mountains. I will be on I-65 and there are probably thousands of back roads available if it comes to that.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm

There's always the possibility of the "Pope" phenomenon. In St. Louis, the Pope was coming to visit, with a parade through the city. For weeks before, there were dire forecasts of huge traffic problems and massive crowds from the city and the media. So many fewer folks went downtown for the parade, leaving several parts of the route sparse. This was embarrassing for the city and a huge problem for the vendors counting on crowds.

Luckily I don't have to go far to at least get into totality.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:There's always the possibility of the "Pope" phenomenon. In St. Louis, the Pope was coming to visit, with a parade through the city. For weeks before, there were dire forecasts of huge traffic problems and massive crowds from the city and the media. So many fewer folks went downtown for the parade, leaving several parts of the route sparse. This was embarrassing for the city and a huge problem for the vendors counting on crowds.

Luckily I don't have to go far to at least get into totality.
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded. -- Yogi Berra :D

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I think there are going to be a lot of last minute road trips to the area of totality. To your point, most people may not have heard about it -until now. Now that it is embedded in everyone's FB and Twitter feeds (and whatever else) over the last couple of weeks, pretty much EVERYONE knows about it. I am predicting gridlock.

Cosmo

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Na, traffic may be somewhat heavier, but nothing detrimental. No need to worry.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm

I live around Seattle and there are a fair number of people going down to see the eclipse. The main road is I-5, and typically it's about a three hour drive to around the area of the eclipse, but anyone who has driven it on even a normal holiday weekend knows how backed up it can get, especially around Olympia/Tacoma. I had a friend who spent about seven hours on that stretch once. There are some other roads but nothing is a great alternative - 101 is along the coast which is fine if you are heading to the beach but it's not much of a highway, there are back roads shadowing I-5 which are built for local traffic, and if you willing to see it in eastern Oregon you can head over to Yakima and down.

So it really depends on how many people - some of whom live relatively close by, even Vancouver isn't all that far - will decide they want to see the full eclipse and prefer to drive instead of paying $300 for a hotel stay, or settling for the partial eclipse.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:13 pm

98.7 coverage here,,,,
I am fine. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Fill your gas tank early!

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Toons wrote:98.7 coverage here,,,,
Not really, no.
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/close_enough.htm

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Without traffic it is a 60 minute drive to totality. I plan to wake up early and check the traffic maps. If it is backed up, I'm staying home. If it's clear, I'll go for it. The drive home will be lousy but at least I will have seen the eclipse. The worst case scenario is sitting for hours in traffic and still missing totality. Not willing to chance that.

(There are essentially no reservable hotels remaining in totality anywhere near here. It's not that folks don't want to spend the $300; it's that there is no option).

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 am

Vulcan wrote:
Toons wrote:98.7 coverage here,,,,
Not really, no.
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/close_enough.htm
After reading that I NEVER want to watch totality! Because if I do, I will be following every single totality all over the world and will completely ignore investing toward my retirement and instead spend all my savings on following eclipses and will die as destitute person.

Ha :-)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 am

If the weather is good it looks like my plans have changed. One of my friends has two extra seats in his bottom wing airplane to watch it from the sky and I can bypass all of the traffic. Just need to hope for VFR conditions.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Just heard the edges of the eclipse may be up to 1/2 mile different from what the maps have been showing. Drive that extra mile!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

letsgobobby wrote:The drive home will be lousy but at least I will have seen the eclipse.
That would be a good time to stop and see a movie, or two.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 pm
Without traffic it is a 60 minute drive to totality. I plan to wake up early and check the traffic maps. If it is backed up, I'm staying home. If it's clear, I'll go for it. The drive home will be lousy but at least I will have seen the eclipse. The worst case scenario is sitting for hours in traffic and still missing totality. Not willing to chance that.

(There are essentially no reservable hotels remaining in totality anywhere near here. It's not that folks don't want to spend the $300; it's that there is no option).

Bobby-- if I remember, you are in PDX

The traffic out, already bad on I-5 south but also expected to be really bad on 26, should be daunting anywhere traveling to the "zone ". (Yep, hotels in the zone in the central OR area have been booked for about a year...although a small number of dry-camp RV slots have been added)

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Maybe people can give a report on their experience after the eclipse.

I am spending the weekend in the Black Hills. The drive down to the eclipse should be easy. I will watch it in western Nebraska. There is virtually no population north of western Nebraska.

I wonder how the drive home to Northern Colorado will be.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 pm
Na, traffic may be somewhat heavier, but nothing detrimental. No need to worry.
Seriously? I saw a study on how many people where planning vacation time for viewing - most of them are driving towards the best viewing areas near them - some from quite far away. AAA and other association are predicting "Massive traffic jams". Everyone might be wrong but I'd err on the side of caution rather than be stuck sitting in traffic for 3x to 4x the time I expect.

Here's one of many articles with some predictions and tips:
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... st-21-2017

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:04 pm

The eclipse is only going to last for 2 to 3 minutes. To me, it seems excessive to travel and rent hotel rooms for 2 to 3 minutes. To each her own.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:04 pm
The eclipse is only going to last for 2 to 3 minutes. To me, it seems excessive to travel and rent hotel rooms for 2 to 3 minutes. To each her own.
For a lot of people, this is a once in a lifetime event. The duration doesn't matter much.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 pm

If you don't have hotel reservations yet there may still be a chance of getting one at the last minute.

I was talking to my son and he said that one of his friends had made two reservations that could be canceled that were in different locations. They will be watching the weather forecast and picking the picking the location with the best weather then cancelling the other reservation before the cancellation deadline.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 pm

The Amtrak Eclipse Train sold out in 22 hours. It's scheduled from Chicago to Carbondale round trip with a stop in Champaign, eclipse glasses included. But -- it's sold out.

https://media.amtrak.com/2017/08/take-a ... g-driving/

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/sp ... 95703.html

MattE

Post by MattE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:04 pm
It's a celestial event creating irreproducible natural phenomena (360 degree sunsets, visible solar corona and chromosphere, fauna going totally silent due to the unexpected day\night shift, etc.) that's visible in a given region generally 2-3 times in a lifetime at most. This isn't going to Times Square to watch the ball drop or any of the other similarly inappropriate analogies I've seen.

Anyway, for people traveling in the Pac NW, it's also worth noting that several wildfires in central and and southwestern Oregon are also threatening to either close only-route highways or reduce visibility substantially.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm

If you have Google Maps on your mobile phone, turn on its traffic option and keep an eye out for crowded roads. Plan alternatives as necessary. Stay safe.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 pm

For those traveling from the northeast region, Id suggest looking in/around Charlotte, NC for easily available hotels and much cheaper and possible with points via SPG/Hyatt, etc. Approximately 100 miles drive to either Columbia or Greenville, SC.