Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Watty

Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Post by Watty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:31 pm

If you are interested it looks like there will be one of the best US total eclipses of the sun ever next year on Monday August 21, 2017.

It will go all the way across the US from South Carolina to Oregon.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/S ... oogle.html

I am just a few hours away from Nashville and I just checked on Hotel reservations. It looks like the hotels are already getting a lot of bookings for those days.

I was able to find a well rated hotel with reasonable rates with refundable reservations without any problems but if you are interested in seeing the eclipse you might want to make your hotel reservations sooner rather than later.

TravelGeek

Re: Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Or in my case I am just going to drive some 20 miles to reach the zone of totality :)

But yes, good reminder. A few years ago i had this brilliant idea of flying to northern Australia for a total eclipse. Unfortunately everyone else had apparently had the same idea, just earlier. And literally everything was booked up solid a year in advance.

So we looked where the next one would be and moved near the target zone :)

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 pm

The last one for us here in northern Oregon was Feb. 26, 1979 and now this. :D

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Watty wrote:It will go all the way across the US from South Carolina to Oregon.

In terms of direction, the path of the eclipse will travel from Oregon to South Carolina.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:18 am

I'm no astronomer, but I feel like we have eclipses all the time. What's so special about this one? And what's so special about Nashville?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 am

White Coat Investor wrote:I'm no astronomer, but I feel like we have eclipses all the time. What's so special about this one? And what's so special about Nashville?

1) Partial eclipses of the sun are fairly common (I've viewed at least three in my lifetime), but this one is a TOTAL eclipse of the sun taking place in the center continental USA......that is, not in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or in some mostly inaccessible area like the Gobi desert.

2) Nashville is located in the path of totality, where the eclipse of the sun will last over 2 minutes......incredibly cool.

Google a video of a total solar eclipse and you will see the wonder. By the way, to directly view the oncoming eclipse before totality...... you need at least fully exposed photo film folded over at least 2-3 times.

Edit: It should be black and white film (NOT color) with a silver emulsion. Welders' glass rated at 14 can also be used.
Edit#2: DO NOT view a solar eclipse without adequate eye protection until the Sun is totally obscured by the Moon. Even 1% of the Sun's disc glare still unobstructed by the moon can cause serious damage to your eyes.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 am

I live in the totality zone, so I'm not worrying about hotel reservations. :D

If the weather turns out bad, I'll have to evaluate how far I can drive, but by then of course a lot of hotels will be booked up already. Even without the eclipse, it's summer travel season.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 am

Thanks for the reminder.
Here's something fun to read for us diehard BHers...

https://lunatictrader.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/eclipses-and-the-stock-market/

"The result (based on over 130 eclipses in 60 years): solar eclipses have historically been very good for the stock market.
Investing in the eclipse Green periods has yielded and annualized 17% gain, vs 11% annualized for all Green periods. That’s significantly better than average.
Of course, that doesn’t mean the stock market never goes down in eclipse Green periods.
About one eclipse green period out of six has generated a decline of more than 2%. But once out of four it has produced a gain of over 2%, and in 10% of the cases it produced a better than 4% gain.
"

DISCLAIMER: I'm just having fun! Don't take any of this^^^ seriously.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:36 am

White Coat Investor wrote:I'm no astronomer, but I feel like we have eclipses all the time. What's so special about this one? And what's so special about Nashville?

Lunar eclipses (Earth casting a shadow on the full Moon) are fairly common, but solar eclipses (new Moon casting a shadow on the Earth) are not. (The Earth is larger than the Moon, and therefore there is a larger shadow into which the smaller Moon can get into). And before anyone asks, eclipses don't happen every month because the Moon's orbit around the Earth is at a 5-degree angle with the Earth-Sun plane, so an eclipse occurs only a few times a year.

There will be another total eclipse of the Sun on April 8, 2024 that will cross the continental United States, in a path from Maine to Texas. Both the 2017 and 2024 eclipse will cross at Carbondale, Illinois, so there may be a real estate investment opportunity :mrgreen: .

Nashville is where my parents met, but that's another story.

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:37 am

I chased the one in 1991 down to La Paz, Baja. Just 8 seconds shy of 7 minutes of totality. 8-)

My advice: look at seasonal average weather charts and plan on viewing where the cloudiness probability is a minimum. I doubt that is anywhere near the east coast. Maybe east of the cascades in the high desert?

Looks like Jackson Hole is pretty close....you could reserve a campsite or cabin if the hotels are all booked.

Maybe Yellen should schedule a speech there during the eclipse for dramatic effect. :D

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:11 am

obafgkm wrote:There will be another total eclipse of the Sun on April 8, 2024 that will cross the continental United States, in a path from Maine to Texas. Both the 2017 and 2024 eclipse will cross at Carbondale, Illinois, so there may be a real estate investment opportunity .

Here is an interesting map that shows that.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEatlas/SE ... -25T-2.GIF

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am

I have been waiting for it since 2013. Fortunately, I only live a few hours away from the path. I guessing I won't have much trouble getting a hotel in Wyoming or western Nebraska, but I'll check.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

mhc wrote:I have been waiting for it since 2013. Fortunately, I only live a few hours away from the path. I guessing I won't have much trouble getting a hotel in Wyoming or western Nebraska, but I'll check.

All the major chains are booked solid for a radius of 200+ miles from Casper. I found 3 rooms still available in DENVER when I checked on August 20. Some of the mom-and-pop motels may still have availability in Wyoming and northern Colorado.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 am

BolderBoy wrote:
mhc wrote:I have been waiting for it since 2013. Fortunately, I only live a few hours away from the path. I guessing I won't have much trouble getting a hotel in Wyoming or western Nebraska, but I'll check.

All the major chains are booked solid for a radius of 200+ miles from Casper. I found 3 rooms still available in DENVER when I checked on August 20. Some of the mom-and-pop motels may still have availability in Wyoming and northern Colorado.

Thanks. Worse comes to worse, I just drive up for the day. I live closer to Cheyenne than Denver along I-25.

Elemental

Post by Elemental » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 am

This might be a dumb question, but, how do you book a hotel that far in advance? Online bookings don't go out that far. I called a couple of 800 numbers, and was told the same thing.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:40 am

I am thinking of driving into the totality zone - maybe Hopkinsville, KY or Land Between the Lakes. About a 4 hour drive or so.

I am probably 30 minutes away for the 2024 event.

Elemental

Post by Elemental » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 am

kenschmidt wrote:I am thinking of driving into the totality zone - maybe Hopkinsville, KY or Land Between the Lakes. About a 4 hour drive or so.

I am probably 30 minutes away for the 2024 event.

I thought about this option as well. I wonder what the traffic will be like. I think it might be pretty busy. My drive would be on an interstate with only 2 lanes in each direction.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Elemental wrote:This might be a dumb question, but, how do you book a hotel that far in advance? Online bookings don't go out that far. I called a couple of 800 numbers, and was told the same thing.

The Hilton chain allows 1 yr out booking on-line. I was on-line at 1201am Aug 20 and everything was already booked. I suspect the smartest folks booked in July 2016 for over a month's stay for the 2017 dates, then have simply cancelled all but the last day or two needed (didn't occur to me to try this).

mhc: I expect the traffic on August 21, 2017 going up I-25 will be the most in the history of Wyoming. Likewise, the traffic from Casper to Glendo during the eclipse will be heavy and VERY slow.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:36 pm

Elemental wrote:This might be a dumb question, but, how do you book a hotel that far in advance? Online bookings don't go out that far. I called a couple of 800 numbers, and was told the same thing.

I used Expedia yesterday and they had a lot of availability around Nashville, but many of them were very expensive.

I was also just booking Sunday and Monday night, there might be less availability if you also want Saturday night.

You might also try just booking one night at a time, but you might need to change hotels each day.

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Idaho Falls is also in the path of totality. We're high desert and so a good likelihood of cloud-free skies in August. We have lots of budget hotels, but in August the market is Yellowstone tourism. (Am not sure if path of totality passes through Boise.)
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Watty wrote:..

I used Expedia yesterday and they had a lot of availability around Nashville, but many of them were very expensive.

This is apparently the new norm here until some of the pipeline projects are completed. According to the local paper, "From 2010 to 2015, Nashville led the nation in percentage growth in average daily revenue from each available room," and $200 a night is pretty standard downtown. http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/r ... /86033056/
Edit Signature

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 pm

I was planning on flying my Lear jet from Nova Scotia...my scarf will be apricot...

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Here is a map of the path of the eclipse: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160821.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Capsu78 wrote:I was planning on flying my Lear jet from Nova Scotia...my scarf will be apricot...

You're so vain... :mrgreen:

- Ron

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:43 pm

JMacDonald wrote:Here is a map of the path of the eclipse: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160821.html

Alright, looks like I'm right in the path of this baby! Here's my chance to rent out my spare bedroom and make a killing... :sharebeer
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Solar eclipses, even total solar eclipses are fairly common, but the path of totality is narrow, no more than about 100 miles wide. So when an eclipse occurs, only the people living in that narrow path get to see it. I haven't yet seen one.

I've seen some partial eclipses, and an almost-total eclipse isn't all that great. It's a little creepy because the darkening feels like "it's overcast" but there are no clouds, the shadow of your fingers look like claws, and the sun becomes a crescent--but so intensely bright that it doesn't quite look all that crescent-y. But it's not, say, as mystically impressive as the Northern Lights (which I've seen once) or a decent meteor shower (also once).

What's special about this one is that the path of totality is beautifully located for people who live in the U.S. to get a shot at seeing it.

We're going to take a shot at going to see this one, and the appearance of this thread now has me all tense about getting reservations...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

boo-yah

Post by boo-yah » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

NASA has an interactive version of the map posted earlier

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

which you can zoom in and use to find a small town with maybe a mom and pop motel, a campground, park, or which milepost to pull off of along the right highway. I'm thinking about being out on one of the lakes that are crossed by the path of totality.

nomas

Post by nomas » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:34 pm

I just got a hotel reservation for the eclipse in Columbia, SC. A lot of the hotels in that area are already fully booked. I saw the last total solar eclipse visible in the southeastern US in 1970 and ever since then I've wanted to see another one.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Ron wrote:
Capsu78 wrote:I was planning on flying my Lear jet from Nova Scotia...my scarf will be apricot...

- Ron

You probably think this thread is about you. Don't you? Don't you?

phoolish1

Post by phoolish1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:05 pm

We live in the DC Metro area and reserved an RV for a 10 day trip spanning the event - final destination to be decided closer to the date depending on weather forecasts. DH was not missing this for anything. :happy

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm

We tried to book at La Quinta in Idaho Falls (which takes pets - guess what we travel with) on Aug 21 for 2017 and they were mostly booked up with the remaining empty rooms on hold by corporate and showing a price of $1,000 a night. So we booked in Twin Falls (where we were just two weeks ago) and got in at double what we just paid. We will do the drive up to the totality area and just hope the roads don't get clogged. (Leave early!). Some good websites on the event:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html

Likely a once-in-a-lifetime event for many people - not to be missed!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Why haven't the mods saved us from this interesting conversation?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 pm

The line swings just to west and south of St. Louis. There are some state parks in the totality path, but I don't know if they would reserve campgrounds/cabins this far out or if they do whether any are left. Meramec and Washington are a couple.

Quite a few people are apparently trying to arrange hotels in St. Louis with plans for a day trip to best viewing available. If the weather is good, I expect the highways heading toward totality will be packed.

Some of the cities in the path have other attractions.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:41 pm

In Missouri , it looks like Columbia is your best bet for a larger city with accommodations, followed by the Cape Girardeau area ( possibly some b&b in the wine area there).

Fortunately, where I'm at in OR I'll just go outside to see it

I have seen that Madras OR even has a billboard advocating staying there (presumably making some area have additional RV and tent camping; it IS the tourist season then in central OR and LOTS of tourists normally come through) or stay on the Warm Springs reservation in their resort.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 am

I was on the Big Island in 1991 for the eclipse there, it was almost 7 minutes. The length is noteworthy as it give more time to experience the effect on animals, birds, temperature, etc. The most interesting part for me was meeting the people who are obsessed with solar eclipses. There are people who traverse the world to experience totality and it seems to be a profound experience for them.

I was glad to be there and experience it. Will head north a bit to see the 2017 event but will just camp somewhere based on weather.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Nearing_Destination wrote:In Missouri , it looks like Columbia is your best bet for a larger city with accommodations, followed by the Cape Girardeau area ( possibly some b&b in the wine area there).

Columbia is a college town (University of Missouri) and so has more hotel capacity than some other similar-sized cities. They are used to influx of visitors for football games and such. Everything I have read indicates that you should be making reservations now, as available space is being claimed. I'm not sure if hotels are demanding non-refundable deposits for the date or not. Adverse weather could lead to massive cancellations.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Ron wrote:

- Ron

You probably think this thread is about you. Don't you? Don't you?

Is that you , Mick?

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm

I don't even want to think about the traffic on I-5 that day from Vancouver, BC to Salem, OR. I guess the good news is that if you have a sunroof, you will be able to have a nice view from the inevitable parking lot :oops:

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am

22twain wrote:I live in the totality zone, so I'm not worrying about hotel reservations. :D

If the weather turns out bad, I'll have to evaluate how far I can drive, but by then of course a lot of hotels will be booked up already. Even without the eclipse, it's summer travel season.

Exactly why I won't be booking a hotel, but rather keeping an eye on Weather Channel and seeing how far I'll have to drive to see the big show.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:40 am

Also, 2024 is supposed to be even better. I will be enjoying both.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
1) Partial eclipses of the sun are fairly common (I've viewed at least three in my lifetime), but this one is a TOTAL eclipse of the sun taking place in the center continental USA......that is, not in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or in some mostly inaccessible area like the Gobi desert.

2) Nashville is located in the path of totality, where the eclipse of the sun will last over 2 minutes......incredibly cool.

Google a video of a total solar eclipse and you will see the wonder. By the way, to directly view the oncoming eclipse before totality...... you need at least fully exposed photo film folded over at least 2-3 times.

Edit: It should be black and white film (NOT color) with a silver emulsion. Welders' glass rated at 14 can also be used.
Edit#2: DO NOT view a solar eclipse without adequate eye protection until the Sun is totally obscured by the Moon. Even 1% of the Sun's disc glare still unobstructed by the moon can cause serious damage to your eyes.
I am re-booting this old post of mine with an additional warning. If you buy protective eclipse eyeglasses (which absolutely is the best choice for most people), they should have "ISO 12312-2:2015" printed somewhere on them. However, what I predicted to some of my science jock buddies has now occurred - counterfeit eyeglasses with the ISO label have been manufactured and put into circulation. Therefore, I recommend that you buy your protective eclipse eyeglasses from the manufacturers listed below. A larger list is available from the American Astronomical Society:

TSE 17
Rainbow Symphony
American Paper Optics
Thousand Oaks Optical
Celestron
DayStar
Meade Instruments

Enjoy the wonder and beauty of a total solar eclipse - without burning permanent crescents into your retinas.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 pm

And pray for clear skies...

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:39 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:Also, 2024 is supposed to be even better. I will be enjoying both.
I'll be traveling for both. And in 2099 there'll be another total eclipse, passing right over my house grave. I won't have to travel for that one. :(

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 am

Nicolas wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:Also, 2024 is supposed to be even better. I will be enjoying both.
I'll be traveling for both. And in 2099 there'll be another total eclipse, passing right over my house grave. I won't have to travel for that one. :(
Yup, I'll either watch from my rocker at age 118 or I'll have to miss that one...

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 am

what happens to all the animal kingdom who looks at sun? do they all go blind? or their eyes have different technology that ours?

yes the question is somewhat facetious but anytime I have been told "don't do that or you will go blind" advice on certain activity, I need to make sure that the advice has merit :-)

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am

wrongfunds wrote:what happens to all the animal kingdom who looks at sun? do they all go blind? or their eyes have different technology that ours?

yes the question is somewhat facetious but anytime I have been told "don't do that or you will go blind" advice on certain activity, I need to make sure that the advice has merit :-)
I don't think a momentary glance would hurt anyone's eyes, animal kingdom included. You have to stare for awhile to get the retina burn. I've never seen an animal with any interest in the sun. I don't think they know it exists, they're only animals, after all. With the sun obscured they'll just assume it's night and go about their nighttime preparations.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 am

Guess im one of the few who couldnt care less about the solar eclipse. Ill be out in washington state...only 1.5 hours from totality line or whatever in oregon. No interest...ill be headed up to olympic np...ill check it out from there. I bought those cheap glasses. My guess is life will go on if I dont see the sun completely covered...it will be a slight sliver. Ill survive, lol.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:41 am

Also check your reservations if you made them through Expedia.
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... he_ce.html

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:Guess im one of the few who couldnt care less about the solar eclipse. Ill be out in washington state...only 1.5 hours from totality line or whatever in oregon. No interest...ill be headed up to olympic np...ill check it out from there. I bought those cheap glasses. My guess is life will go on if I dont see the sun completely covered...it will be a slight sliver. Ill survive, lol.
You may be missing out on a unique lifetime experience. I'm driving six hours one way to be in totality. Some people cross oceans. And "near totality" just isn't the same. It's literally the difference between night and day. They say you have to be there to know what it's like. I guess I'll find out.

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Good luck to everyone trying to get into the totality zones. They are saying the road between Idaho and Utah (I-15) will be backed up for hours and potentially days, especially afterwards. In Idaho they are putting out port a potties along the freeway and encouraging people to have several days of supplies in their cars...