cost to build a deck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AussieDad

cost to build a deck?

Post by AussieDad »

I realize I'm probably going to get responses all over the board, but I'm just wondering if I'm getting ripped off here. I need to have a 440 sq. ft. deck rebuilt. I'm looking at having new footings poured (12") and the deck is about 9' off the ground. I've been quoted $5500 LABOR only for the new deck and $500 for the tear off. I supply the materials. It will be a fairly basic pressure treated pine deck. Maybe a notch above builder grade. 6x6" post and railing posts with the prebuilt aluminum balusters from HD. This is in the Southeast. The price seemed a little high to me, but things are busy around here and I'm having trouble even getting quotes from reputable contractors. This guy built a really nice deck and porch for a friend of ours is the only reason I'm thinking about using him. Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions.
tacster

Re: cost to build a deck?

Post by tacster »

I recently rebuilt my home's 200 sqft deck. The estimate I got was $3800 to have someone build it using pressure treated lumber, built to code. Since I'm handy I ended up doing the whole job myself, using cedar, for under $2000 all in. This is a medium to somewhat lower cost area for most things. IMO your estimate does not seem terribly unreasonable, especially the $500 for tear off. That was a miserable chore.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy »

That price sounds a little high to me as well, but "Southeast" can be different. Rural Mississippi prices and downtown Atlanta prices will be different. If you live in the metro-Atlanta area, I know a deck guy that has a great reputation if you want a referral. PM me. Otherwise, you may consider the cost of checking Angie's List.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I strongly recommend against using pressure treated wood, except for maybe the posts. Spend the money on cedar. Pressure treated wood tends to warp really badly.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I paid about $6500 labor for my deck replacement four years ago. About 15' off the ground, a bit smaller but with a staircase so probably somewhat more labor, re-used the iron railings though and just added a new wood cap to them so less work there, re-used existing footings which are quite deep and solid. This was paying a straight rate of $40/hour with no overhead charges.
SkierMom

Post by SkierMom »

++Contractors do appear to be more busy than of late.

Building/rebuilding a deck is labor-intensive. Here in CA there would be additional costs for permitting, staining and sealing (depending on the products you select) and engineering.

Assuming a 2-person crew at $25/per person = $50/hour, one full week (40 hours) you are looking at $2,000 without permits, stain/sealant, and engineering.

See if you can wait until mid-late fall or even December. Contractors will be looking for work, and you may be able to get three competitive bids.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Luke Duke wrote:I strongly recommend against using pressure treated wood, except for maybe the posts. Spend the money on cedar. Pressure treated wood tends to warp really badly.
My wife and I just redid a 10 by 12 deck, a month ago. Materials ran around $1000, all cedar with some pressure treated
joists underneath to replace bad joists. This was a lot of work.

I'd suggest considering composite over either pressure treated or cedar. My cedar 4x4's are already splitting.

My wife really likes the look of cedar, but the cracking and the ongoing maintenance are what have me worried.

We spent most of about 4 weekends on it. We are pretty handy, but nowhere near professionals, and getting too old
to do this kind of stuff. It might be our last big project.
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

I would also suggest composite rather than wood. As we get older, its hard to maintain even pressure treated wood deck. We had one built for about $8000.00 including materials about 3-4 years back. Even the dumpster for old deck was $800.00 so 500 for tear apart is cheap. We are in Midwest.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

We had our 610 sq ft deck (it runs the width of the house, with three walkouts) replaced last month and paid $11,200. That included: demolition; built to code and inspected; six 48"-deep concrete footings; new stairs; pressure-treated pine. Add $350 to wire new floodlights, also to code.

We weren't looking for a bargain. We hired a trusted contractor who has done good work for us over the years, and we weren't disappointed.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

My buddy and I replaced a 16 x 40 deck for $6000 in labor. Rip off, add stairway, replace all boards and new railing. No new footings.
Topic Author
AussieDad

Post by AussieDad »

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like my price may be a little high. I sent you a PM Dulocracy, Thanks