How much do you spend on coffee/tea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamales

How much do you spend on coffee/tea?

Post by Tamales » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:52 pm

I was talking with someone I work with (a coffee fanatic) and he said he spends on average around $100/month on coffee and accessories, accounting for new coffee machines and grinders and related things every couple years, filters, pricey premium beans, and also counting what he spends at Starbucks.

That seemed unbelievable to me. I didn't ask but I suppose Starbucks could be a high percentage of that. Anyway, I just wondered if others were in that ball park. And I wondered if tea drinkers can approach that. I bet I'm safely under $20 a month even factoring in a new machine every few years, maybe even under $10 (I'm at zero/month on Starbucks).

Raybo

Re: How much do you spend on coffee/tea?

Post by Raybo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 pm

I don't drink coffee or tea at home. Once a week, I have breakfast out and drink coffee. Cost is $4 a week.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 pm

I buy tea bags at the grocery store. The fancy ones cost about 10 cents. The regular ones are lot less expensive.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:02 pm

I spend about $10 per week making cold brew coffee every week (plus a few brew coffees as well). Most is decaf, fair trade, organic from CoffeeAM.
Occasionally I purchase flavored coffee as well.
I like my cold brew coffee strong, since I use 1/2 and 1/2 plus a little sugar.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Tamales wrote:I was talking with someone I work with (a coffee fanatic) and he said he spends on average around $100/month on coffee and accessories, accounting for new coffee machines and grinders and related things every couple years, filters, pricey premium beans, and also counting what he spends at Starbucks.

That seemed unbelievable to me. I didn't ask but I suppose Starbucks could be a high percentage of that. Anyway, I just wondered if others were in that ball park. And I wondered if tea drinkers can approach that. I bet I'm safely under $20 a month even factoring in a new machine every few years, maybe even under $10 (I'm at zero/month on Starbucks).
Tamales,

1) Please do not associate "Coffee Fanatic" with Starbuck. A coffee fanatic would not believe that Starbuck is good enough.

https://www.coffeeam.com/gourmet-coffee.html

2) You can get very good gourmet coffee about $12 to $16 per pound. If you are willing to buy 5 pounds bag, it is about $8 per pound. I drink about one pound every 2 weeks. Some people do about 1 pound per week. So, it is about $80 to $40 per month.

3) Do not confuse people that overspend on coffee with the actual coffee lover.

4) Yes, I cold brew my coffee too.

KlangFool

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:39 pm

I drink under $7 a month of herbal tea. The teapot was a gift, but even if I factored in depreciation, still under $7.50.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:55 pm

$5-6 a month -- large can of Maxwell House, Folger's, Yuban, or whatever is on sale. One pot of coffee a morning.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:59 pm

I spend whatever Tim Horton's says I need to spend.

I think a two pound bag of beans is around $16 at the supermarket. That lasts us about 2 months.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

hcj

Post by hcj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:59 pm

We buy Peet's whole bean at Costco. I think it's a 2-lb bag. We go through 3 of those a month. On sale it's $13/bag and not on sale it's $17/bag -- so around $45/month.

He sounds like our coffee hobby friend who seems to like the gadgets and talking about coffee. Accessories-wise, we only buy coffee filters and every few years need to replace the burr grinder. We have a good coffeemaker that I don't expect to replace for many years.

One day I may get one of these: my aunt has one and it makes the most delicious espresso.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco ... efurbished

Totrep

Post by Totrep » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:15 am

I drink about 6 bags (12oz each) of coffee a month. I usually buy from Klatch (http://www.klatchroasting.com/), spending around $15 a bag. I have a lot of brewing equipment and periodically add more, so $100/month sounds just about right.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:24 am

My most recent tea purchases were $10 for a 50-bag tin of English Breakfast, $15 for 3oz of loose leaf English Breakfast, and $10 for 4oz of loose leaf mint black tea. The tea bags are used when I'm in a rush and don't want to take the extra minute or two to clean up the tea infuser after steeping the tea. I try to limit myself to only 1 tea bag or half a tablespoon of loose leaf tea each day, so overall, that's about a 3 month supply of tea for me.

I do also pay for tea when I eat lunch out, but I don't eat lunch out that often. And I'll only pay for it if it's actually brewed tea, and not that reconstituted tea syrup that some places try to pass off as tea. That runs anywhere from $2-4, depending on lunch place. Cost wise, this is probably my highest monthly expense for tea, because even though I don't each out much, it costs way more per cup than what I make for myself.

As for supplies, I paid $15 for a single cup infuser (at home) and $25 for a 24oz glass tea pot+infuser (at work). Hot water is provided by an electric kettle at work that another co-worker purchased (and leaves in the break room for everyone to use), a $10 kettle at home, or by microwaving a cup of water.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 am

Very little for very good coffee.

I use a Melitta cone I bought over 25 years ago. It has no moving parts to wear out. It's easy to clean.

Now, may I caution anybody contemplating the purchase of such a tool to accept no substitutes. The cheap knock-off brands let the underbrewed coffee pour out too quickly. They don't work properly. Sometimes it's worth paying extra to buy the best. Sometimes as much as $2 extra.

I suppose there must be wear and tear on the plastic, but let's ignore it. The good filters are around $.05 each, including amortizing the box they come in. Cafe Bustelo 6 oz brick packs, which I like because they don't sit around open all month, add another $0.10 to 0.12 per mug, on sale. The water and energy and wear and tear on my whistling kettle cost something, but not enough to account for.

The mug won't last forever, either.

Call it a wildly overestimated twenty cents.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

catdude

Post by catdude » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:56 am

Dimitri wrote:$5-6 a month -- large can of Maxwell House, Folger's, Yuban, or whatever is on sale. One pot of coffee a morning.
Same story here. Coffee is fuel for me but I don't spend a whole lotta money on it....
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:57 am

hcj wrote:We buy Peet's whole bean at Costco. I think it's a 2-lb bag. We go through 3 of those a month. On sale it's $13/bag and not on sale it's $17/bag -- so around $45/month.

He sounds like our coffee hobby friend who seems to like the gadgets and talking about coffee. Accessories-wise, we only buy coffee filters and every few years need to replace the burr grinder. We have a good coffeemaker that I don't expect to replace for many years.

One day I may get one of these: my aunt has one and it makes the most delicious espresso.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco ... efurbished
Peets at costco is exactly what we do. Probably 1 lb per week. In the overall scheme of things, it is cheap.

Buy a good grinder -- after going through 2 burr grinders, I bought a Mazzer Super Jolly ($$ -- don't ask).

Don't waste your money on a cheap espresso maker. Decent ones are $$$$, as in a lot more than an expensive grinder. And maintenance is expensive (if you pay someone to fix it). I have a nice espresso machine. Doesn't get enough use, but enough that I probably won't get rid of it. Check out coffeegeek.com.
njboater74 wrote: I think a two pound bag of beans is around $16 at the supermarket. That lasts us about 2 months.

We make one (approx 40 oz) pot of coffee a day. 2 lb bag lasts approx 2 weeks (I will have to keep track of it to verify now).
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:01 am

Too much.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:41 am

A few years ago someone on this board suggested Folgers Black Silk. Now that's the only coffee I drink. Prepared using a pour over I bought on Amazon, it's really good! Cost is about $8.00 a month for a large container at Walmart. It takes me a month to use it all.

Not only investing advice but great coffee too! Bogleheads is the best forum on the net!

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:44 am

About $30-$40 a month on locally roasted, fresh beans. Those get used on 3-4 year old grinder and espresso machine that together ran $1500+. Don't know how much it costs to heat the water in the boiler of the machine each day. Tea? I only drink green tea, and try as I may, I can't find any green tea in the US I'm happy with. I have a brand from japan I crave. Those bags are $8 to $40 for 100 grams depending on the variety and last a couple months. Bad news is I have to fly to Japan or find someone who is going. So every year or two I need to go on a "tea run" to Tokyo :happy

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 am

I buy Starbucks coffee by the bag at grocery store. I buy it when it is on sale, usually $6.99, sometimes $5.99. A bag last more than a week. I drink half caffeinated, so I mix caffeinated and de-caf myself. Since I started doing that, I rarely buy coffee by the cup at Starbucks or elsewhere. I use a Cuisinart drip brewer, about $100, which lasts a long time. Coffee and supplies probably run about $40 a month.

My daughter gave me a Yeti insulated cup for Christmas a couple of years ago. It is fantastic for keeping coffee warm and a great investment by coffee lovers.

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:15 am

Id say probably $30-35 a month

Years ago I treated myself to a top shelf grinder (Breville) and a top rated pour-over coffee maker....probably a $350 initial investment

Now, as I drink a lot of coffee daily, I buy beans for about $9/lb @ a grocery and grind my coffee fresh each morning, put it in my double-walled vacuum thermos and have 3 cups piping hot at work. I have a jar of instant for that afternoon pick-me-up if needed.

I think my aggregate cost is probably 25 cents or less per cup of the ground bean coffee and likely 3 cents per cup of the instant compared to spending over $2 for a single small cup of Starbucks or some other boutique coffee establishment.

Life is too short to drink terrible coffee and overpay for the 'privilege'. My initial machine investment and all the subsequent quality of life 'profits' (delicious coffee daily) have made it all worthwhile. I'm sure many will (eventually) feel similarly about their investments as we all cruise to a hopefully comfortable retirement and enjoy the profits of education, research, implementation and the more tangible results.
Last edited by katzmandu on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:15 am

KlangFool wrote:
1) Please do not associate "Coffee Fanatic" with Starbuck. A coffee fanatic would not believe that Starbuck is good enough.
FINALLY. I knew if I waited long enough, I would agree with KlangFool on something :)

A couple of years ago, a local coffee roaster opened shop 2 doors away from a Starbucks. I thought that showed cojones, so I went for a bag of beans. The beans were not burned, as we'd become accustomed to with Starbucks. It's the only place I buy beans now; my usual is Sumatra dark roast.

After many $$$ espresso makers and all kinds of coffee makers, I'm happy with a Technivorm Moccamaster, OXO Barista Brain grinder, and Poland Spring water.

ETA: I refuse to calculate how much I've spent on coffee over the years. It would fund a small Caribbean nation.

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
FINALLY. I knew if I waited long enough, I would agree with KlangFool on something :)

A couple of years ago, a local coffee roaster opened shop 2 doors away from a Starbucks. I thought that showed cojones, so I went for a bag of beans. The beans were not burned, as we'd become accustomed to with Starbucks. It's the only place I buy beans now; my usual is Sumatra dark roast.

After many $$$ espresso makers and all kinds of coffee makers, I'm happy with a Technivorm Moccamaster, OXO Barista Brain grinder, and Poland Spring water.

ETA: I refuse to calculate how much I've spent on coffee over the years. It would fund a small Caribbean nation.
I looked into the Technivorm as well, so I know you're on the up and up on making a damn good cup of coffee. I got the Bodum Bistro as it does and excellent pour-over. Filtered water, yes! And no need for disclosure on amount spent. Just image 90%+ of everyone drinking similar volumes of bad coffee and overpaying all the while. Makes you enjoy that cup ever more :)

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 am

I've tried many ways of brewing at home and find the best coffee I can produce is with a cheapie Clever Coffee Dripper.

Other expense - cheapie filters.

but I buy good beans - had luck with beans from Stumptown.

Oh and I have a good grinder - cost maybe $80

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 am

About $30 month on 2 lbs of good locally roasted coffee. We make coffee in an Aeropress that cost about $25. Usually just one or two cups in the morning, but if we're traveling, we'll fill a nice stainless thermos and take it along for the day. And perhaps 3-4 lattes/month at a local coffee shop, for a grand total of about $45/month.

Good coffee is a luxury, but it doesn't need to be an expensive one.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:37 am

It's your life, your money, and your priorities. We spend maybe $15-$20 a month on the coffee itself, it's just Folger's Classic Blend. We spent as much as $35/month, and that's a while ago so it would probably be $50/month now, when we had a Gevalia subscription. The stuff was sneakily priced by the half-pound.

Anyway... we buy $5/pound coffee now. Shrug. Some people buy the fancier grades of the mass-market blends. I wouldn't even want to try Folger's this and Folger's that because stocking of them is irregular, and I know I can always get Classic Blend in any supermarket, and at Costco whenever we get out there, and at loss-leader sales at Staples, and so on. If I found that I liked Folger's Barbecued-Pulled-Pork blend--oh, wait, that's a recipe, not a coffee blend--whatever, sure as shooting the store would quit carrying it or they'd discontinue it. So I don't even want to try them.

But certainly $10-$15/pound for coffee perfectly reasonable for people who can taste the difference (and like the difference they taste) and are willing to pay that much.

How much per month depends on how much coffee you drink.

$300/month is IMHO the range where you aren't just drinking coffee, you are making a very serious hobby out of coffee appreciation. And possibly drinking too much coffee.

(Aside: I don't smoke, but if I did I'd regret the decline in pipe-smoking. I always envied pipe-smokers because there was so much gear and paraphernalia and fussing associated with it, those polished wood racks with their rows of pipes, the rituals they had to go through to keep them properly conditioned, their special lighters, and all the slurping and sucking noises it was socially acceptable to make in their seemingly-desperate efforts to set fire to the things. Watching a pipe-smoker try to start a pipe is as much fun as watching Boy Scouts try to start a campfire with damp wood).

There was a guy at work who drank nothing but authentic 100% Kona, which by the way is apparently tricky to get. No idea what he spent. My personal no-accounting-for-tastes judgement is I actually don't like Kona, it tastes weak and dusty to me. (Another friend at work always brought back real Kona every time he visited Hawaii and always gave his friends gifts when he got back, so I had a reasonable chance to try it out, nothing but single-estate genuinely-authentic Kona for a week...) But, hey. Similarly, I don't know what to say about the fact that connoisseurs obviously like a darker roast than I like. Shrug. It's me, no point in trying to "educate" my taste just so I can fuss about coffee and spend more. I don't think they're wrong to like what they like, I don't think I'm right to like what I like.

I hate to say this but as a kind of joke was once given some 100% Robusta, it came with a funny name that I can't post as it's NSFW. I didn't like it as well as Folger's but it was nowhere near as terrible as I'd thought from Robusta's reputation, and I have the terrible feeling that I actually like having some Robusta blended into my coffee. So sue me.

Best money we ever spent was buying a better coffeemaker. That's when I discovered that ordinary coffee (Folger's) in a good coffeemaker tasted just as good to me as better coffee (Gevalia) in a lousy coffeemaker.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:40 am

KlangFool wrote:... Please do not associate "Coffee Fanatic" with Starbuck. A coffee fanatic would not believe that Starbuck is good enough...
Now that Starbuck's has Veranda blend, I at last can stand to drink their stuff. To my taste, I like it just as much as McDonald's and it only costs three times as much. So when I have no other choice but Starbuck's, instead of paying $3 for a cup of coffee that tastes awful, I can spend $3 and get a cup of coffee that tastes acceptable.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 am

JoinToday wrote:
njboater74 wrote: I think a two pound bag of beans is around $16 at the supermarket. That lasts us about 2 months.

We make one (approx 40 oz) pot of coffee a day. 2 lb bag lasts approx 2 weeks (I will have to keep track of it to verify now).
You're probably right. We make a pot about every other day and put it in a glass bottle and store it in the fridge. I also only use 6 tablespoons for 72 oz pot
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

poker27

Post by poker27 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 am

I buy a Trenta iced coffee on my way to work, and drink cheap Costco coffee on the weekends. My guess would be $110-120 a month. Use to be much worse.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 am

Costco brand and a good quality insulated mug from REI. That way, out and about, I keep my money in my pocket

TMCD75

Post by TMCD75 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:48 am

Not coffee, but energy drinks have cost me thousands the last 10 years. I started out drinking Red Bulls because they really do give you a serious energy boost. I was drinking the 12oz. versions for the first five years and they cost about $3 a day. Then about five years into my addiction, I realized they were selling 20oz. cans for $5 a pop.

I drank these large 20oz cans for years, one every morning, no more after that. At these prices and drinking just one large can daily, it's around $1952.75 a year habit. That math assumes I paid $5 with typical sales tax. I probably spent 15k+ on them the last decade.

Good news...I quit 7 weeks ago and have only cheated three days in that time frame. They are EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE!!!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 am

My family's coffee habit has a very high upfront costs, but very low ongoing costs. Our current setup:

Brewer: Bunn CW15-TC
Grinder: Bunn LPG1
Roaster: Gene Cafe CBR-101

All told, we're about $1500 invested in those three machines and a couple of accessories (stainless basket and thermal carafe for the brewer, mostly), but I should be set for a good long time. The grinder is rated for 40,000 lbs of coffee before the burrset needs to be replaced, and the brewer is designed to make 40+ pots per day for 20+ years. Since we grind 2-3 lbs of coffee per week and make 3 pots per day, I don't expect they'll need replacing in my lifetime. Prior to this we had a Technivorm Moccamaster brewer and KitchenAid ProLine burr grinder that each lasted about 11 years.

I buy green (unroasted) coffee beans for about $5/lb. The cultivars vary according to the growing season, my mood and tastes, but they're generally all types that you would pay $18-24/lb for from a specialty coffee roaster. There are cheaper ones available, but I don't bother with them. Jamaica Blue Mountain and Hawaii Kona cost dramatically more, but I don't get those either. I'm too lazy to re-do the math again to see where I currently stand, but the roaster was paid off within the first year, based on the per-pound savings. An added bonus is that my coffee tastes way better than anything that can be bought at a store, and most of what can be bought from a specialty roaster, primarily because it's fresh. The rule of thumb for coffee freshness is the so called "Rule of 15s": Coffee that is not roasted within 15 months of picking, ground within 15 days of roasting, and brewed within 15 minutes of grinding, is stale. It's a little more nuanced than that--most coffees are at their best 3-10 days from roasting--but it's accurate enough.

In terms of actual cost per day, my last order in May was for 40lbs of beans (20 lbs each of Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma and Rwanda Kivu Kanzu) at $230, including shipping. I'm about 2/3 of the way through (1/3 done with the second 20lb bag) after almost exactly three months. So call it 18 weeks' worth, or $13/week, for three heavy coffee drinkers--about 61 cents per day for each of us. Filters cost a penny apiece ($11 per thousand), so bring it up to $0.62pp/pd. Not bad for a gallon and a half per day of the freshest, best tasting coffee around. :)

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:32 am

Tamales wrote:I was talking with someone I work with (a coffee fanatic) and he said he spends on average around $100/month on coffee and accessories, accounting for new coffee machines and grinders and related things every couple years, filters, pricey premium beans, and also counting what he spends at Starbucks.

Well I am definitely the outlier in the group but I think honesty on the forum is important. So as I sit here sipping my venti latte' I will tell you I get one every morning at a cost of $4.60 plus tip and as often as not get another later in the evening so my guess is I spend 45 times $4.60 a month on coffee ($207) plus tips and pastries.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:46 am

Oh dear. I hate to think.

I had a desk job in NYC for a few months which called for a 4 AM - 2 PM schedule. In my desperate effort to stay awake and productive, I happened upon cans of flavored Yerba Mate. For me, it worked better than coffee. I experienced more focused energy, better clarity of thought, and about as good a mood as one can hope for with a schedule like that!

Since then, I've gone back to coffee, because I couldn't find the same stuff and found that brewing Yerba Mate myself was a big pain.
merely an interested amateur

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 am

tigermilk wrote:About $30-$40 a month on locally roasted, fresh beans. Those get used on 3-4 year old grinder and espresso machine that together ran $1500+. Don't know how much it costs to heat the water in the boiler of the machine each day. Tea? I only drink green tea, and try as I may, I can't find any green tea in the US I'm happy with. I have a brand from japan I crave. Those bags are $8 to $40 for 100 grams depending on the variety and last a couple months. Bad news is I have to fly to Japan or find someone who is going. So every year or two I need to go on a "tea run" to Tokyo :happy
tigermilk,

You may want to check out this place for tea.

http://www.uptontea.com/store/home.asp? ... e%2Ecom%2F

They import 200 varieties of teas. The price is very reasonable. In most cases, it is cheaper than tea bags.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:38 am

nisiprius wrote:
KlangFool wrote:... Please do not associate "Coffee Fanatic" with Starbuck. A coffee fanatic would not believe that Starbuck is good enough...
Now that Starbuck's has Veranda blend, I at last can stand to drink their stuff. To my taste, I like it just as much as McDonald's and it only costs three times as much. So when I have no other choice but Starbuck's, instead of paying $3 for a cup of coffee that tastes awful, I can spend $3 and get a cup of coffee that tastes acceptable.
nisiprius,

1) Agree on the Veranda blend. It is tolerable. And, there is one more Starbuck coffee that shows up once a year that I like. I cannot recall the name at this moment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UZ7IMS/re ... 4D8RHFFN5H

2) You can get the McDonald's coffee on Amazon. The roaster is not allowed to publicized this fact as a condition of their contract with McDonald.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 am

nisiprius wrote:
There was a guy at work who drank nothing but authentic 100% Kona, which by the way is apparently tricky to get. No idea what he spent. My personal no-accounting-for-tastes judgement is I actually don't like Kona, it tastes weak and dusty to me. (Another friend at work always brought back real Kona every time he visited Hawaii and always gave his friends gifts when he got back, so I had a reasonable chance to try it out, nothing but single-estate genuinely-authentic Kona for a week...) But, hey. Similarly, I don't know what to say about the fact that connoisseurs obviously like a darker roast than I like. Shrug. It's me, no point in trying to "educate" my taste just so I can fuss about coffee and spend more. I don't think they're wrong to like what they like, I don't think I'm right to like what I like.
nisiprius,

https://www.coffeeam.com/gourmet-coffee ... =price&p=2

1) Kona coffee is about $40 per pound.

2) Real 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain is about $60 to $80 per pound. Whenever it is on sale for about $40 per pound, I will buy one pound and enjoy. It happened about once per year. Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee is a class of its own.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 am

Folks,

Coffee is cheap as compared to very good tea. I was given many teas by my brother-in-law. Those tea costs more than gold. Gold is about $1,000 to $2,000 per oz.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

TomatoTomahto,

1) Would you mind provide the name of the coffee roaster? If I am somewhere around there, I would like to try out the coffee.

2) Sumatra is the type of coffee that hard to get it right. You have a very good coffee roaster for doing it right.

KlangFool

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:16 am

I use an aeropress and make vietnamese coffee. The vietnamese coffee I use is 'Cafe du Monde' and 15 oz a can for $5.99 which lasts me roughly 2 - 3 weeks. Gets me 2 cups a day. I also buy either Peets or Starbucks whole beans from Costco depending on whats on sale.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:21 am

About $15-20 / month between my wife and I.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 am

KlangFool wrote:[snip...]

1) Would you mind provide the name of the coffee roaster? If I am somewhere around there, I would like to try out the coffee.
Sure, http://www.thecoffeemillroasters.com. They are in Millburn, NJ.

casun

Post by casun » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:51 am

i buy jose's whole bean coffee from costco. 3 pound bags cost about $18 and last about 3 weeks. every weekend i make a week's worth of cold brew coffee. coffee plus filters run about $25/month.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:02 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
KlangFool wrote:[snip...]

Sure, http://www.thecoffeemillroasters.com. They are in Millburn, NJ.
TomatoTomahto,

Thanks.

KlangFool

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:07 pm

i'm not a coffee snob; i drink a pot of coffee a day and the 2.5 pound kirkland (costco) brand that costs 12 bucks or so is good enough for me. i have no idea how long it lasts. when i get coffee on the outside - rare; usually on road trips - it's hard to beat mcdonalds. and now that i can get "senior" coffee its really cheap.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:15 pm

$5-10/mn (1-12oz bag) depending on how expensive the bulk coffee. I am the only one who drinks coffee. Make 2-3 pourovers/day. I need to switch over to tea. I like tea but our tea pots keep cracking.

I very rarely buy outside coffee. I'll buy a cup of coffee on our Amtrak trips to Seattle at $2.25/16 oz cheap and again as a way to pay for the train service. I'll buy a coffee if it's a specialty coffee/tea at a restaurant as a courtesy to the restaurant. I made a mistake this past weekend in having an Indian coffee-sweet and milky.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:25 pm

In Seattle, Starbucks, is the cheaper brand.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

brad_g

Post by brad_g » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:42 pm

It sounds like coffee is a real hobby for your workmate. So maybe a more appropriate question would be, "how much do you spend on coffee PLUS one of your hobbies?".

And make no mistake, coffee/espresso is a hobby for some, as much as personal finance is for Bogleheads. Check out the activity on sites like Home-Barista.com and CoffeeGeek.com. Seem familiar?

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Costco Whole Bean Coffee: 6 lb/month * 12 month/year * $6/lb = $432/year.
Hamilton Beach Coffee machine: $25/year ($75 every 3 years)
KRUPS Coffee grinder: $5/year ($20 every 4 years.)
365 Melitta Coffee filters: $12/year.
Energy: $9/year.
Water: $1/year.

So total monthly cost is about $40/month. Not bad for a daily pot of delicious coffee.

I also probably spend about $5/week on average for coffee at Starbucks, restaurants, etc. So that's an additional $250/year or $20/month.

So total on coffee would be about $60/month.

I am going to try to switch to green tea at some point, but at least coffee is healthier (in my opinion) than sugar drinks, diet soda, etc. And it feeds my caffeine addiction :)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

nanosour

Post by nanosour » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:49 pm

I have few vices in this world, but coffee is definitely one and I'm not looking to sacrifice the enjoyment of a great cup of joe for a few bucks a week.

Coffee has been one of the great journey's of my adult life. I've done it all, from Folger's in the beginning, to most recently Illy MOKA for our 6-cup Bialetti Moka pot.

DW and I drink coffee twice a day, every morning and usually at 2PM-ish. Rarely do we skip that afternoon coffee and we occasionally have one in the evening. Currently, we alternate between a cappuccino made with a Starbuck Barista machine purchased in 2006 for $600, a French Press for when we want a bigger cup of coffee, and the Moka pot which makes the most delicious coffee I've ever had.

We use 3 different coffees for each method:

Cappuccino - locally roasted bean purchased no later than 10 days after roast date ($9.30/lb)
French Press - Seattle's Best #5 Dark from Walmart ($4.88/lb)
Moka Pot - Illy MOKA ordered from http://www.supermarketitaly.com ($12.99/8.8 oz Can)

All said and done, I would say we spend on average $10/week for about $520 for the year. Well worth it to enjoy nature's nectar. :)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:52 pm

About a buck a day, so $30 per month, give or take a few bucks. That's just for me - my wife doesn't drink the stuff.

JT

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 pm

I make a drip coffee pot every two days, drink some, cool the rest for hot day iced coffees.

I also use a lot of milk my my mug... about 3 tablespoons of powedered milk per 12 oz mug.

Very low cost.. likely less than 0.25 per day.

Got hooked on lattes for a couple of years a long long time ago... after not drinking coffee at all for decades.

Then went to french press and milk with a frother for a simulated latte, then to FR press and powedered milk for simplicity,

And finally to what I do now. I use so much milk I don't think buying primo coffee or special latte maker, or special grinders will make my life much better.

Best,

M