Editing shortcut emacs-like keys. Do u use them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
livesoft

Editing shortcut emacs-like keys. Do u use them?

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:38 am

I wonder if folks are aware of the emacs-like editing keystrokes available when typing in posts. You know:
^-a, ^-e
^-b, ^-f, ^-n, ^-p, ^-v
^-d, ^-k

where ^- means press and hold the control key while pressing the following key. That is, ^-a is the same as control-a or ctrl-a.
and of course
alt-z (or command-z on Macs)
alt-c, alt-v, alt-x

Who else edits/types with these keys / shortcuts? I don't think this is a browser function, but maybe it is?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

rgarling

Re: Editing shortcut emacs-like keys. Do u use them?

Post by rgarling » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:44 am

not working for me. (PC running Chrome)

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am

livesoft wrote:I wonder if folks are aware of the emacs-like editing keystrokes available when typing in posts. You know:
^-a, ^-e
^-b, ^-f, ^-n, ^-p, ^-v
^-d, ^-k

where ^- means press and hold the control key while pressing the following key. That is, ^-a is the same as control-a or ctrl-a.
and of course
alt-c, alt-v, alt-x

Who else edits/types with these keys / shortcuts? I don't think this is a browser function, but maybe it is?
I use CTRL Z a lot in Excel to undo a series of keystrokes. (But I forgot the key sequence for re-do)

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:49 am

They are replacements for browser menu commands. Firefox still tells you what the equivalent keystroke command is when you select drop downs. For example, Edit->Select All = Ctrl A.

I still use them a lot, but mostly in Office apps.

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 am

I do.

Yes, I use my standard DOS commands and shortcuts on a daily basis. Plus, I prepare my posts using the good ole' notepad then Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C, followed by Ctrl + V here. Prior to the Windows days you had to memorize and use all those crazy combos to get things done.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

It pre-dates not only programs like Visicalc and Wordstar, but operating systems like DOS and Apple. From Wikipedia Control key:
  • On teletypewriters and early keyboards, holding down the Control key while pressing another key zeroed the leftmost two bits of the seven bits in the generated ASCII character. This allowed the operator to produce the first 32 characters in the ASCII table. These are non-printing characters that signal the computer to control where the next character will be placed on the display device, eject a printed page or erase the screen, ring the terminal bell, or some other operation. Aptly, these characters are also called control characters. . .
    . . . When the original purpose of the ASCII control characters became either obsolete or seldom used, later software appropriated the Control key combinations for other purposes.
I especially liked the "ring the terminal bell", although I can't remember using it on my IBM TSO (Time-Sharing Option) typewriter terminal. It was a big advance over punched Hollerith cards.

I use <ctrl-c>, <ctrl-x> and <ctrl-v> for cutting and pasting, but the others only if the software doesn't provide an accessible menu.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

docbrown

Post by docbrown » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 am

Livesoft isn't referring to Command-A (Mac) or Control-A (Windows) to Select All, and similar commands. Emacs movement commands are available, as far as I know, only on the Mac. On a Mac, you can press Control-A (not Command) to move to the beginning of a line, or Control-E to move to the end, as well as the others.

I use them all the time.
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 am

I write my posts in vim and then copy them into the browser. :P

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:00 am

Topic moved to Forum Issues and Administration.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am

VI fans have a saying: "Emacs is a nice operating system with a lousy editor!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Many years ago I made a lifestyle choice not to learn emacs. I am very glad I have done so and I believe it has contributed immensely to my well-being. Indeed, the reduced frustration has enhanced my earning capacity and I believe increased the value of my portfolio.

So the answer is: no.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm

livesoft wrote:I wonder if folks are aware of the emacs-like editing keystrokes available when typing in posts. You know:
^-a, ^-e
^-b, ^-f, ^-n, ^-p, ^-v
^-d, ^-k

and of course
alt-c, alt-v, alt-x

I use a handful of keyboard shortcuts without quite thinking about it, practically muscle memory at this point. In particular the ones I use most
^z (undo)
^c / ^v (copy / paste)
^a (select all), I also use "shift+home", "shift+end", or "CTRL+SHIFT+ left arrow/right arrow" to select just words or entire rows... usually followed by retyping something
^n (open a new browser window)

I think that's the extent of my 'natural' keyboard shortcuts i'm accustomed to using.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

PNW1

Post by PNW1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:03 pm

zaboomafoozarg wrote:I write my posts in vim and then copy them into the browser. :P
I write my posts in emacs and then paste them into the browser. In fact, I use emacs so much that I've created a desktop-level keyboard shortcut (ctrl-alt-q) to pop up an emacs window.

It's certainly an acquired taste. :)

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm not an IT guy and came to Linux late (after the widespread acceptance of the GUI). I've used Linux at home exclusively for about ten years. I'm not a big CLI user. I never got the hang of emacs. I do, however, get tired sometimes of pointing and clicking. I use keyboard shortcuts to open my frequently-used apps on the desktop. If I need a simple text editor I use gedit. If I'm in the CLI and need an editor I've used nano. For me it was easier to re-learn than vi.

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:Many years ago I made a lifestyle choice not to learn emacs. I am very glad I have done so and I believe it has contributed immensely to my well-being. Indeed, the reduced frustration has enhanced my earning capacity and I believe increased the value of my portfolio.

So the answer is: no.
I did too, but it was in order to become good at vi. Opinions vary.

Will have to try some of the emacs shortcuts.

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 pm

It's a core Mac text editing feature. As a 30-year user of Emacs, it took me a few years of using them to notice that they worked. ;-)

Lobster

Post by Lobster » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 pm

livesoft I'm glad to hear you use shortcuts for the one true editor :wink:

I coded exclusively in emacs through university. I still edit files on remote servers in emacs, though I've been forced to learn enough vi commands given its available more often.

The emacs shortcuts don't appear to work on Windows with Chrome as I edit this post, unless there is a settings option to enable them somewhere.
Submit to the relentless rules of humble arithmetic and avoid the tyranny of compounding costs.

skjoldur

Post by skjoldur » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Wow, I never expected to have the opportunity to participate in an emacs vs. vi flame war on the bogleheads forum. How awesome is that?

Vi all the way!

I doubt I would take the time to learn Vi now, but once you know it, it sticks to your fingers like chewing gum on hot asphalt.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 pm

cntrl-c = copy highlighted text, contrl-v = paste it back somewhere else, contrl-f opens a find widow. These all work here as I type.
I constantly use these but their are many more I've forgotten. Used them on all sorts of operating systems for as long as I can remember.
JW
Yes, contrl-z for undo is another staple.
Last edited by JW-Retired on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired at Last

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 pm

To really be a flame war someone has to be using vi keystrokes within their browser to edit posts on bogleheads.org.

I didn't expect anybody to even have a clue what emacs was.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm with skoljur. This is unexpectedly fun. But, sadly, I must take issue with Lobster. Everyone knows that neither emacs nor vi is the one true editor. To paraphrase the immortal Patrick J. LoPresti: When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi and Emacs are just too slow. I use ED. ED is the standard text editor. ED is the greatest WYGIWYG editor of them all. ED is for those of us who can remember what we're working on ... :mrgreen:

swellkarl

Post by swellkarl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:06 pm

skjoldur wrote:Wow, I never expected to have the opportunity to participate in an emacs vs. vi flame war on the bogleheads forum. How awesome is that?

Vi all the way!

I doubt I would take the time to learn Vi now, but once you know it, it sticks to your fingers like chewing gum on hot asphalt.
I have used vi daily for over 24 years since I learned it during my first semester in college. I have tried to use GNU emacs a few times but have kept going back to vi.

Karl

ZZ or :wq!
74% Inst Index, 20% Core Bond, and 6% Cash

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:50 pm

<Esc> M Personal Consumer Issues<Esc>I forum (How you spend your money and your time). No longer talking about forum posts. <Esc>:

:w <Esc> I

vi is the universal Linux / Unix editor. Learn once, use everywhere. I've been using vi for many years, since I was Lady-in-waiting-Geek.

Please avoid a vi vs. emacs flame war.<esc>:

:wq
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:05 pm

livesoft wrote:To really be a flame war someone has to be using vi keystrokes within their browser to edit posts on bogleheads.org.

I didn't expect anybody to even have a clue what emacs was.
emacs is an excellent solution to a problem nobody actually had.

Vim, on the other hand, serves its purpose as an editor well.

Oh, and yes I use browser shortcuts extensively. Actually, I use Pentadactyl (but that's inactive so I'll have to shop for similar vim-like browsers) so that I never need a mouse while using the browser; everything is done with keyboard shortcuts. If you use Chrome, I recommend cVim. For mail, mutt works well so that no mouse is needed whatsoever on most days!

So yes, I am using vi keystrokes to do exactly that!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:35 pm

I'll confess a certain fondness for Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping, but ed is the standard editor.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 pm

telemark wrote:I'll confess a certain fondness for Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping, but ed is the standard editor.
I had not seen that one before. Thanks.

For others who don't get the joke, see Paging.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Not any more. Dimly recall vi and ed. Never used emacs.

Now only use ctrl-a/ctrl-c/ctrl-v to temporarily save long forum post to Word before posting.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:56 pm

^-a, ^-e
^-b, ^-f, ^-n, ^-p, ^-v
^-d, ^-k

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I pretty much try Ctrl-a and Ctrl-e everywhere. Once I noticed that it worked in Google Docs, I started trying it everywhere I was able to type.

However, I didn't realize that other emacs commands worked here at bogleheads. Neat!

I like both emacs and vi.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

zaboomafoozarg wrote:I write my posts in vim and then copy them into the browser. :P
vim is a newfangled gizmo for millennials. Retirees use vi.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 pm

triceratop wrote:
telemark wrote:I'll confess a certain fondness for Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping, but ed is the standard editor.
I had not seen that one before. Thanks.

For others who don't get the joke, see Paging.
My favorite is Escape Meta Alt Control Shift.

(I basically spent my working life in Emacs from 1987 to ~2004. I even had some Emacs dreams.)
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm

I actually use Emacs all of the time, since my entire operating system is built around it.
My window manager is Ratpoison, which is all keyboard driven Emacs keystrokes.
My web browser is Conkeror, which is all keyboard driven Emacs keystrokes (although, I added Vi/m J and K up/down commands to the rc file for ease of use in reading web pages. Don't tell the Emacs mafia :) ).
Oh yeah, and since I don't have a graphical file browser, but rather use GNU core utils, I use Emacs stuff in a terminal quite a bit too.
And then there's my text editor...

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:47 pm

bertilak wrote:VI fans have a saying: "Emacs is a nice operating system with a lousy editor!"

+1

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Ged wrote:
vim is a newfangled gizmo for millennials. Retirees use vi.
Full disclosure, I use gvim.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:09 pm

I'll wade in.

I use ee. Guess what OS that is for.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Just remembered using the old DOS editor "Edlin" in the pre-windows days. I'm sure that was available in early Windows as well but not in Windows 10