What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by rec7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 pm

What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Chicago60
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by Chicago60 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:22 pm

rec7 wrote:What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?
"Making of a Murderer" meets the requirements of your question and was compelling "TV" on Netflix.

matonplayer
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by matonplayer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:27 pm

If you like college sports Last Chance U on Netflix is a must see.

Topic Author
rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by rec7 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 am

Any more shows come to mind?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Topic Author
rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by rec7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Bump for night time folks.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

User avatar
Dutch
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by Dutch » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Top Gear and Anthony Bourdain's travel/food shows. Both on Netflix.

simmias
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by simmias » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:00 pm

matonplayer wrote:If you like college sports Last Chance U on Netflix is a must see.
It's a must-see even if you don't like college sports. OP, go watch it, and then come back and ask for more recommendations later.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:21 am

simmias wrote:
matonplayer wrote:If you like college sports Last Chance U on Netflix is a must see.
It's a must-see even if you don't like college sports. OP, go watch it, and then come back and ask for more recommendations later.
cool. just bookmarked it on NF.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

jasc15
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by jasc15 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 am

Dutch wrote:Top Gear and Anthony Bourdain's travel/food shows. Both on Netflix.
These are my two current favorites on Netflix. Sadly, I've watched every Top Gear currently available, and I'd rather not figure out how many hours that's been. These are also the two shows that both my wife and I enjoy and can watch together. She tends to like Bourdain's American destinations, and I prefer the International ones.

Also, I've enjoyed two recent historical documentaries:

The Great Game, which recalls the various attempts since the 1800's to invade Afghanistan, twice by the British to preempt the Russian empire from encroaching on India, then the Russian and American attempts in the last 35 years. A great example of history repeating itself.

The second is The Long Shadow, which makes the case that WWI wasn't simply a futile and fruitless war, but the result of past actions, and set the stage for the rest of the 20th century and up to the present. The narrator makes parallels between Post-Great-War Europe and the Arab Spring.

blgaarder
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by blgaarder » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 pm

There are a number on acorn.tv, including Art of the Heist and some Martin Clunes travel/animal shows


jayjayc
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by jayjayc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:22 pm

matonplayer wrote:If you like college sports Last Chance U on Netflix is a must see.
I also enjoyed Last Chance U. Along the same lines, I recommend 'All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals' on Amazon Video. It's very similar to HBO's Hard Knocks except it focuses on the entire regular season and post season. Even if you watched all the Cardinals' games, it won't spoil this show.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6882
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm

DW and I recently watched a very good documentary series on Netflix from CNN that examined historical decades (sixties, seventies, etc). Since those were the decades in which I grew up, they were particularly interesting. (It was fascinating hearing the details behind the Watergate break-in and the political fall-out surrounding Nixon's resignation; given that I was a teenager back then, I didn't pay that much attention to world affairs of the time.) Highly recommended.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Chadnudj
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by Chadnudj » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm

rec7 wrote:What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?
Enjoying The Wine Show on Hulu right now (all about wine, with Matthew Rhys and Matthew Goode).

I've heard EXCELLENT things about The Staircase (but i think it's streaming only via Sundance TV's website?)

If you can get it via HBOGo, watch The Jinx.

Netflix has a ton of good documentaries -- Jiro Dreams of Sushi, The Wrecking Crew, Finding Vivian Maier, For Grace, etc.

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by gkaplan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:21 pm

I have streamed and liked the following non-fiction TV shows or movies on Netflix:

Last Chance U
Muscle Shoals
History of the Eagles
Johnny Carson: King of Late Night
Ken Burns: Jazz
Maidentrip
Blackfish
Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show
Goering's Last Secret
Hitler's Children
Battle of Britain: the Real Story
Good Ol' Freda
The Last Waltz
The Wrecking Crew
Casting By
The Rape of Europa
Woody Allen: A Documentary
Finding Vivian Maier
Code Black


(I'm not sure how many of these are still available on Netflix.)
Gordon

vtjon
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by vtjon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:46 pm

I thought the documentary on Tony Robbins was pretty good.

User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4657
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by House Blend » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:02 am

I have to give a shout out to ESPN's 7.5 hour epic OJ: Made in America.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275892/

Simply wow. This is only superficially about sports, or OJ himself. It goes far beyond that, and digs deep into the culture and circumstances of race, racism, celebrity/media, criminal justice, and police work. Offers insight into current events in ways I can't talk about on this forum.

The first 3 (of the 5) parts were the most outstanding; for me, part 4 (about the trial) and 5 (about his continued descent and eventual imprisonment) were a bit weaker.

Easily among the best long-form documentaries I have seen on any subject. I'm struggling to find things to compare it with. It has the heft of a Ken Burns production, but has the disadvantage that it is telling us a story that we think we already know. One reviewer categorized it, along with When the Levees Broke (about the aftermath of Katrina), as the "most powerful and essential documentar[ies] of modern America."

I streamed it off of WatchESPN; not sure what other streaming options there might be. Netflix has it on disk, but not for streaming.

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm

jasc15 wrote:
Dutch wrote:Top Gear and Anthony Bourdain's travel/food shows. Both on Netflix.
These are my two current favorites on Netflix. Sadly, I've watched every Top Gear currently available, and I'd rather not figure out how many hours that's been. These are also the two shows that both my wife and I enjoy and can watch together. She tends to like Bourdain's American destinations, and I prefer the International ones.

Also, I've enjoyed two recent historical documentaries:

The Great Game, which recalls the various attempts since the 1800's to invade Afghanistan, twice by the British to preempt the Russian empire from encroaching on India, then the Russian and American attempts in the last 35 years. A great example of history repeating itself.

The second is The Long Shadow, which makes the case that WWI wasn't simply a futile and fruitless war, but the result of past actions, and set the stage for the rest of the 20th century and up to the present. The narrator makes parallels between Post-Great-War Europe and the Arab Spring.
Great. I'll watch the Long Shadow 3-part series. Lessons learned became lessons forgotten.

jasc15
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by jasc15 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 pm

There is also a Netflix documentary I caught a few weeks ago called The Best of Enemies. It depicts the public feud and televised debates between Gore Vidal and WIlliam F Buckley during the 1968 Democratic and Republican national Conventions. This was a generation before my time, but having heard of these two guys and being vaguely aware of them (or at least the types of folks who followed them) I was interested to watch.

Most interesting to me was their unapologetic memberships to their respective "elite" social classes. Their counterparts today would try rather hard to appeal to and appear to be part of the middle class of this country. Hearing them speak is like watching a specimen of an extinct social species.

Allixi
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 4:01 am

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by Allixi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm not sure I'd consider travel shows "non-fiction", but if we're going to list those, I really enjoyed the first two seasons of "An Idiot Abroad". Very different style from most travel shows.

DaftInvestor
Posts: 4842
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:52 pm

I like and have streamed nearly all of Ken Burns documentaries (on Amazon Prime) along with most of the PBS series "American Experience" (watched the entire president's series and many of other topics of interested).
I also recently watched Inside the American Mob on Netflix and enjoyed it.

Allixi
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 4:01 am

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by Allixi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 pm

This new series "Extremis" seems like it'll be pretty good and will hopefully lead to less futile medical care in the future.

SpaceCowboy
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 am

Re: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

jasc15 wrote:There is also a Netflix documentary I caught a few weeks ago called The Best of Enemies. It depicts the public feud and televised debates between Gore Vidal and WIlliam F Buckley during the 1968 Democratic and Republican national Conventions. This was a generation before my time, but having heard of these two guys and being vaguely aware of them (or at least the types of folks who followed them) I was interested to watch.

Most interesting to me was their unapologetic memberships to their respective "elite" social classes. Their counterparts today would try rather hard to appeal to and appear to be part of the middle class of this country. Hearing them speak is like watching a specimen of an extinct social species.
Liked this too. To me the most interesting part was how clear it was that they absolutely hated each other.

Post Reply