Are you on Facebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Are you on Facebook?

Post by squirm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:53 pm

I've never been on Facebook and frankly never want to be. I've always felt it was more of a liability then asset when exposing personal info, esp regarding possible employment. My wife says the same. Our kid isn't old enough, but I plan on discouraging him from being on any social media.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Are you on Facebook?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:03 pm

I'd like to remind members to not post facebook account names here.

This forum is heavily indexed by google. Information posted here anonymously can then be connected to your facebook account.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:09 pm

Not on Facebook or other social media such as LinkedIn. This results in a rather short on-line profile with most entries relating to a professional office.........One that closed several years ago.

Tim

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Facebook is an entertaining way to stay in touch with some people, many from my distant past. Nothing more, nothing less.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:26 pm

I used to keep a Facebook and LinkedIn profile.

I realized I didn't want any other employers and kept getting recruiter messages or connection requests that would be improper based on my position. I then decided to delete this profile (though it was always a nice ego boost to get recruiting messages from law firms).

I also realized Facebook was no longer about keeping up to date on far flung friends and family and more about who can post either the latest time wasting "meme" or a political message meant to elicit an emotional and negative response. I decided it was much easier to just move closer to family. Furthermore, I didn't like how much of my activity Facebook was trying to monitor with super-cookies and decided to delete my profile there as well.

WJW

Post by WJW » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:28 pm

I have an account but don't post status updates, photos or any personal info. It is a form of entertainment and a good way to remember birthdays, keep in touch with old friends and see updates on businesses and causes I follow. I also get a decent amount of event invites through it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Have an account (I think) and went on it for a little bit. Mostly to get info on car shows and meets. When facebook required me to submit a govt issued ID to prove who I was, I abandoned my account.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Yes.

I don't post often or even check it all that often. But it is fun to see what folks are up to from time to time. Last year I found a very long lost friend from high school.

It is not a substitute for real world friends, nor is it a good place to post pictures of getting plastered or dissing your boss. Used in moderation and with some discretion it is not dangerous. One just has to remember not to post anything they would not put in the local paper - but that is good advice for any e-media.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Some people have recommended to me to "claim" my name on fb and linkin so that no one else can masquerade as me. That doesn't mean one has to use the accounts afterwards.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:46 pm

None.

My only "social media type of accounts" are Bogleheads dot org and Morningstar dot com where I use my actual initials. Closed my LinkedIn account after joining the Retiredforce. My working email account is with my internet [cable] provider, and still have my first email account with Yahoo since 1997 when they first launched the service. I try my best to be "PII Conscious" at all times when using this and any other internet forum [PII - personally identifiable information]

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:50 pm

I opened an account in the early days of Facebook when it was mainly used by college students for networking and organizing social events. Since then I have used it to keep in touch with a few people, but I mostly regard it with indifference now. The natural order of things used to be that people would enter and leave during various points in your life (i.e. college, work, neighborhoods, etc), with very few sticking around in any meaningful way. In fact, it forced you to be selective about who you held onto because it took more work to stay in touch. Now you can sort of collect/archive people that have crossed paths with you, superficially maintaining a connection that would have normally (and perhaps rightfully) faded.

On a side note, it seems that the Facebook contacts with the most uninteresting (to me) lives are the most vocal and out front about their daily activities and views on things.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:56 pm

My only social media account is on LinkedIn, and I'm seriously reconsidering that now that LinkedIn has been bought out by Microsoft. Having an "online resume" on LinkedIn was considered standard in the technical industry, but now that it's owned by Microsoft, I'm not sure how much relevance it will have to competing technology companies.

I don't have time for other social media sites like Facebook or Twitter. If the feeds are public and can be accessed without an account, I'll check in on them from time-to-time, but that's about it.

And I don't consider forums like this to be social media sites since there is no requirement to disclose actual personal information.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:09 pm

livesoft wrote:Some people have recommended to me to "claim" my name on fb and linkin so that no one else can masquerade as me. That doesn't mean one has to use the accounts afterwards.
My name is not unique, so there could be many other "Jane Does" rightfully on Facebook. In fact, there are at least two other professionals with the same name who have their own online presence, but are in different work sectors, so there's no confusing us (except for the lawyer who interned with someone who has a similar name to a co-author from my graduate research group... we get crosslisted from time to time by automated algorithms due to that coincidence).

Just to be sure though, on my professional website, I say I do not have a Facebook or Google+ account, so anyone claiming to be me on those sites is lying. That seems a whole lot easier than creating a Facebook account.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:25 pm

squirm wrote:Our kid isn't old enough, but I plan on discouraging him from being on any social media.
I think this is one of the most challenging issues of parenthood these days. Not an easy path to navigate.

Yes, I'm on FB, but there is nothing there to see other than 1 photo so people can find me if they want.
Last edited by retiredjg on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:33 pm

I have personal and business (Real Estate) pages. It's a great way to stay in touch with old friends and I have gotten referrals from my business page.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 pm

FB is the bane of the modern world, though twitter is even worse.
But I can understand using it for business purposes.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:37 pm

No; since I don't have a vast array of friends & family to communicate with, I have no need for it.

I had an account for a few years under a fake name, so I could post in published articles comments sections - to get on my own "soapbox", if you will. However, with the advent of FB requiring a "certified" existence name/presence along with the degradation of the "quality" of comments in published articles (e.g. there certainly seems to be a lot of hate out there), I feel better by not continuing my participation in FB.

The world is too angry and life is too short to participate in such hate, IMHO.

- Ron

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:39 pm

I had a Facebook account until recently, but then went through the permanent deletion process - which takes a little while

I was disturbed by how when scrolling I would find ads that had nothing to do with my use of Facebook. It knew when I was looking for a new car, and seemed to know the cars I was thinking about - it was a bit freaky. The "bait click" ads and political stuff was getting old as well.

And often I would find myself trying to do the sad thing of comparing my situation to others. Not good. It was nice a long time when finding old friends, but the ones I stay in touch with don't post and we just use email now.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Tried it briefly, but quit, as I never saw the value.

corwin

Post by corwin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:52 pm

I was last one in my extended family to get on FB. I did it just to follow pictures of my grand-niece. I have only 1 post. Linkedin is another story. Having been at my company a long time it is a way to keep track of former co-workers who have moved on.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I am on Facebook only for a few charity contacts and to keep in touch with high school classmates. (Yes, some, a few or whatever, are alive and can still remember each other.) I have used it to search for old friends and lovers... sigh......
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:56 pm

retiredjg wrote:
squirm wrote:Our kid isn't old enough, but I plan on discouraging him from being on any social media.
I think this is one of the most challenging issues of parenthood these days. Not an easy path to navigate.

Yes, I'm on FB, but there is nothing there to see other than 1 photo so people can find me if they want.
When the kid in question is old enough it will be something entirely different.

For better or worse this is how kids today stay in touch, organize (say three kids are on a project in English class, or some kids like my son have formed an A Capella group, or my other son's scout patrol). Not FB but other social media is also how my son has become great friends with his cousins across the country, he is taking his first alone flight to visit in a couple of weeks. I use it to keep up with these kids as well which is really nice.

I use it with a climbing group to keep up with who wants to climb were and when. Much easier than an email list though that could work and really is just a crude social media tool. FWIW the climbing FB group is by invite only so it is not open to the world, though no guarantee it would not be hacked or leaked, though why would anyone care?

It is just a tool. It can be used in vacuous ways or in useful ways, just like any tool.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

I was an early adopter on FB (got an account in early 2004 when it was limited to people with Harvard email addresses, including alums). However, I just lurked for the first 5 years, at which point farflung extended family members of multiple generations (one generation above me, my own generation, and two generations below me, e.g.,grandchildren of my cousins) became active. It is fun discovering mutual connections among my friends and relatives. I have connected with former students from 30 or 40 years ago as well as former colleagues and even a very distinguished mentor to my late husband (during my husband's undergrad years over 40 years ago.)

I do try to be circumspect about my postings.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 pm

I have a fictional account that I use to screen applicants for my business.

More than one application has hit the trash due to FB craziness. I have also moved forward and interviewed / hired a few applicants due to a positive "wholesome" FB presence.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes, it's another tool for communication / socialization in society these days. Amazing to me how many options there are - Linkedin, Instagram, FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Vine, etc. Annoying that FB is always asking me to share more about myself and I feel that too many people compete for likes.
However, I find some value because it allows me to keep up with friends that I wouldn't know much about these days.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Never. However, a number of my very good friends are members and communicate frequently through FB. I am now vacillating on whether to sign up.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Had an account for many years, but then abandoned it once I found that I'd only log in when I was bored or wanted to kill time. Realized I could be doing something better with my time than hoping to find a funny or interesting post from someone else (which were increasingly few and far between).

I do continue to use Facebook Messenger, though. It's a fantastic texting app and doesn't require a FB account.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Nowizard wrote:Not on Facebook or other social media such as LinkedIn. This results in a rather short on-line profile with most entries relating to a professional office.........One that closed several years ago.

Tim
Ditto

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:33 pm

No, never.
But only because I am retired. If my small business was still active I would be, seems no real choice in the matter as it is a real liability for any business, esp. small, not to have a FB presence these days.
Last edited by drawpoker on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Nope.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Nope.

gretah

Post by gretah » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:34 pm

"For better or worse this is how kids today stay in touch, organize (say three kids are on a project in English class, or some kids like my son have formed an A Capella group, or my other son's scout patrol)."
I think this is very true.

"...he is taking his first alone flight to visit in a couple of weeks."
This scares me. Very much. A predator or human trafficker could see this and act on this vulnerability.

I suggest we educate kids on the importance of protecting our information and using specially-created names instead of real names on social media. The kids and their friends can still follow each other once clued into the "pen name."

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

Using a pen name can also be helpful later when a kid grows up and wants to no longer be associated with beer party photos and worse.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm

I have a Facebook account, but there is little personal info on my page. I only log in once or twice a year to make sure I still can. Sometimes it's good to have a social media account to contact customer service at many corporations. At Facebook, their product is YOU. They harvest your personal info and sell it.

I used to have a detailed resume on file at LinkedIn under my real name. I deleted it a while ago, and now only have an abbreviated summary where I don't use my full last name. I'm mostly retired anyway. Not looking for more work!

Twitter...no.

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:15 pm

i have a FB account with no posts and no friends. has my name, where i went to school, and one picture in case someone from the past is trying to look me up.

it's great to get business info which is what i use it for. if the ymca closes early becasue atlanta got 1/2 inch of snow - they post it on FB. the monday night food truck gathering posts what trucks are going to be there - and then you can go to the individual trucks page and look at their menu. companies i follow occasionally post sales. as a long distance hiker i belong to a couple hiking groups to get info about trails i may not know about.

its useful for me in the above context.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:23 pm

I've learned to like Facebook. It's taken a while but I now have the kind of circle of eighty Facebook pseudo-"friends" that enables me to "get" what Facebook is good for. I detest many things about Facebook. It is always nagging me to complete my profile and there's no way I can tell it "Sorry, I am not telling you where I live, where I've worked, where I went to school, my real birthday..." The privacy stuff is vicious, and I still am completely unclear as to exactly who is able to see what I post. (There was a period of a couple of years when I had to keep going in and resetting my settings because Facebook kept making them more and more public).

But.

It is really great for sharing vacation pictures, pictures of grandchildren, pictures of the nice sunset you happened to see right on where you live and things like that.

Furthermore, among seniors anyway, there are a fairly high number of people who do not really use email, but do have Facebook accounts and there are a fair number of people like high school classmates that I "keep up with" via Facebook. If I send Naomi an email, she doesn't respond for days, but if I sent her a Facebook message, she usually replies within an hour... that sort of thing.

I am completely baffled by the fact that as software, Facebook just isn't very good. I have great difficulty finding posts that are more than about 48 hours old, etc.

So, yeah, I "get" Facebook and I use it and with all its faults I like it. It has achieved the virtue of ubiquity--it is the Internet address that most people are likely to have.

I don't "get" Twitter at all and I have the feeling I should. I've been logging in to see if I can figure it out, but I can't. I guess it's for people who want to listen to one-way celebrity small talk?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:30 pm

StevieG72 wrote:I have a fictional account that I use to screen applicants for my business.

More than one application has hit the trash due to FB craziness. I have also moved forward and interviewed / hired a few applicants due to a positive "wholesome" FB presence.
Unless I accepted a FB friend request from you, you should in theory not be able to see much when screening my application as my posts are limited to my friends and I don't like or follow companies or post in public on their pages.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:48 pm

I have been on Facebook and Linked In for many years. While I rarely look at Linked In, I do use Facebook daily, but only because, with rare exceptions, I've "curated" my news feed to show me only sources I'm interested in, a sort of news digest: world news, US political news, architecture, certain music personalities, the local police blotter, etc. (I long ago "hid" my many friends and family, because I don't want to see their lame shares and who's going to the gym today, etc. If I want to see what's happening with them, I do a quick name search.)

I find it amusing that, from time to time, Facebook prompts me to give them my mobile phone number, "to help keep your account secure." Uh, no. I also keep chat turned off. Not available!

I have a Twitter account but never use it. Twitter can be great for breaking news, but it turns out that a Google search does just fine coming up with up-to-the-minute tweets on trending topics.

I checked out Pinterest and Instagram, but they don't interest me.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Nope. At first I didn't join because I wanted my (adult) children to be able to post without have to be conscious that "Mom and Dad" were reading everything they post.

Later I didn't join because I didn't want my (adult) children to "unfriend" me, as has happened to some friends who joined just so they'd know what their adult children and/or grandchildren were really doing.

As time went on, it started to seem less, instead of more the kind of activity I'd ever want to be involved in. If my kids want me to know something, they'll tell me. If they don't tell me, I'm happy not to know. If someone from my past wants to get in touch with me, they can do that (or see what I paid for my house, or what my property taxes are, or get a bird's-eye view of my property) easily by just googling my name. :annoyed

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Maybe

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Using a pen name can also be helpful later when a kid grows up and wants to no longer be associated with beer party photos and worse.
Not a bad idea.

One can even just change a current account to have a new fictitious name. DD did this.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes 8-)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:55 pm

nisiprius wrote:I detest many things about Facebook. It is always nagging me to complete my profile and there's no way I can tell it "Sorry, I am not telling you where I live, where I've worked, where I went to school, my real birthday..." The privacy stuff is vicious, and I still am completely unclear as to exactly who is able to see what I post. (There was a period of a couple of years when I had to keep going in and resetting my settings because Facebook kept making them more and more public).
My experience exactly and my feelings as well.

I use FB to keep up with friends/relatives who are not worried about showing their lives to the public. But I don't let FB use me.

At least, not that I know of. That is the scary part.

I figure if I post no personal information that I'm "safe". But what if it turns out that is not correct?

Superfood

Post by Superfood » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 pm

You can discourage him from using it, but don't be surprised if he uses it quite a bit. There will always be a generational gap when it comes to norms.. these days it's social media.

Perhaps a different approach is to accept social media and ensure he uses it responsibly.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:14 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:
Nowizard wrote:Not on Facebook or other social media such as LinkedIn. This results in a rather short on-line profile with most entries relating to a professional office.........One that closed several years ago.

Tim
Ditto
double ditto, have no idea if my LinkedIn profile is still alive. No smart phone either
tho we did get cell phones in the 90's
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:01 pm

I use FB on a daily basis to keep up with far flung family and also with wide circle of lifelong as well some newer close friends that are scattered across the country and generally pretty active. I also have several friends from previous jobs that regularly keep in touch with each other via FB.

FB is also an excellent way (via special groups) to share group pictures and news/plans on group trips/activities. Also share pics and highlights with spouses and other friends that were not able to attend a specific group activity. Honestly it would be extremely difficult for us to so easily share news, and info in real time across a diverse group of friends without FB.

FB is also very useful to track events and activities in your local community. The town that we live in has several organizations, clubs, and businesses that regularly post very useful info/news, schedules, and activities on their Facebook pages.

FB does take some head work and some effort in creating a profile, setting security options appropriately, and creating well thought out groups and friend categories that appropriately share and secure profile, posts, news, and pics. Those unwilling to take the time to dive in and at least partially master the app's features and capabilities (particularly security features and options) should like avoid using FB.

I do have a few friends and associates that shun FB. Some are hiding, some are Luddites, some don't want to be "used" by FB, and some just aren't into the social scene. To each his own.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:22 pm

No, not on Facebook. It's too ugly and I already have some web sites. -- Tet

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Yes, I am on facebook. I only use it to keep in touch with close friends and family. Not colleagues, not neighbors, not acquaintances. I love it for that.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Yes. My wife and I each got on FB about 10 years ago after DS joined and his older sister told us we should be aware of what he was posting there. We discovered he was quoting "mature" passages that he really didn't understand. We rectified his issues.

I remained a lurker for a few years until I found two of my best friends from HS that I had been unable to locate for ~40 years. They had each quit trying to locate me after being told that I had been killed in a car wreck a couple of decades earlier. I have since gotten back in touch with several other old HS friends as well as some relatives I had lost touch with ~45 years ago. Those have been terrific experiences. OTOH, I despise the avalanche of drivel, politics, etc that comprise the bulk of FB posts. A couple of "real-life" friends recently were shocked when I told them that I do not accept friend requests from people whom I see regularly. I have "hidden" or "unfriended" several relatives (mostly in-laws) for various reasons.

I find FB very useful for a very narrow range of activities. Other than those few activities, I couldn't care less about FB. My wife, on the other hand ...

pondering

Post by pondering » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:13 pm

I co-admin a group of 19000 members regarding CBS Sunday Morning on Facebook. That for the most part enjoyable responsibility keeps me logging in daily.

I post flower photos and a guy at work commended me for posting my photo journal of a food tour I went to recently.

I really enjoy the connections I've made with other paper folders, and the alumni of the tiny college I went to.

All in all it is a nice place to connect with people in a positive way.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 pm

I finally broke down and set up a Facebook account about a month ago. Some hobby-related organizations that I like to keep track of, now tend to put their news on Facebook pages instead of their web sites, probably because it's easier to do than managing a web site, even a WordPress-based one. I used to be able to read those Facebook pages without having my own account, but in late June, Facebook started to ask me to log in if I wanted to read them.

I put my basic information in my profile (high school, college, city of residence, employer) in case anybody I knew in school wants to find me, set various privacy settings to "friends only" instead of "friends of friends", disabled all apps, and don't post anything (yet). So far I have one friend, someone I've known since high school. My closest relatives now are a few cousins that I'll look for sometime soon. If they're on Facebook, I'll set up a group just for them so I can keep in touch with them.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.