Building a Pool

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Smurf

Building a Pool

Post by Smurf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:53 am

I'm seeking feedback on building a pool in our backyard. We are in the SE USA where we'd get 5-6 months of use. The pool was quoted at around 40k, but I know it'll be 45k by the time they're done and I have the landscaping, irrigation, and fence fixed. The design looks fantastic and I think my family would enjoy it. However, the thought of a company destroying my yard and writing a check for that amount has me sick. We can afford it and would pay cash, but I'm having a hard time justifying such an expense for a want vs a need. When I crunch the numbers around opportunity cost this pool could be a $200k expense with the initial outlay and maintenance costs over the next 15 years which is our expected time in this house. We already have two neighborhood pools and visit them frequently in the summer. I'm well aware this is not a property value investment and would only be for our personal satisfaction. Personally I like to balance my financial decisions between logic and fun. I do not drive a 15 year old camry, but I also get home haircuts and bring my lunch to work.

For you pool owners out there do you wish you didn't have the pool or are you agnostic about owning it? Would you do it again?

Toons

Re: Building a Pool

Post by Toons » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:23 am

Prior threads may be of help :)
My neighbor a while back said open the gate
and make yourself at home with our pool....
NO ONE in the housedhold uses it anymore. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?t=156813

viewtopic.php?t=182514
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Michread

Post by Michread » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:27 am

19 yrs and still enjoying our pool! :happy Total cost back then was 30k; last year put in new liner and pump $5500.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:37 am

If $45K makes you sick, what is $200K going to do? Or do you have multimillions in assets, so $200K is small change?

You already have access to pools. You have no maintenance or liability issues. Those pools do not lower the resale value of your house as a home pool will.

If you really really want this pool, 200K is small change for you, and you are going to be very vigilant to protect neighborhood kids and your own kids from drowning, including when they sneak into the pool without your knowing, go for it.

Alternatively, take the kids on vacation to the beach for a week or two each summer.
Last edited by mouses on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 am

Wow, if you already have access to two neighborhood pools, why in the world would you build your own?

Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:43 am

Pools are a major headache.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 am

mouses wrote:Those pools do not lower the resale value of your house as a home pool will.
That is simply not true in the Southeast, and particularly Florida, where they enhance the value of a house. I've lived in Florida 40 years and have always had a pool and wouldn't be without one. On the other hand, back in my old home town in Western New York I wouldn't even consider one.
Gill

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 am

To me, pools detract from home value. I know others who feel the same. Just something to consider.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am

TxAg wrote:To me, pools detract from home value. I know others who feel the same. Just something to consider.
I'll bet you don't live in the South. :)
Gill

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 am

Gill wrote:
TxAg wrote:To me, pools detract from home value. I know others who feel the same. Just something to consider.
Gill
Texas my whole life

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:02 am

TxAg wrote:
Gill wrote:
Gill
Texas my whole life
Sorry to hear that. :happy
Gill

afan

Post by afan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:05 am

There are plenty of neighborhoods around the country where a pool is expected. Not having one would lower home values. But the OP says that this would not increase the value of their home, so assume that is true.

I would not want one, but we don't live in an area with months of oppressive summer heat and pools a rare even in high price neighborhoods.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:22 am

One thing I've always been conscious of is the difference in design of pools in Florida versus those in Northern climates. In Florida they are generally designed as part of the house with a deck attached to the house and fully screened in by an enclosure. Usually there are sliding glass doors to the pool, which visually or when open makes the pool an integral part of the house. In the North pools seem to be stuck out in the back yard where they are not part of the house and become easily forgotten. Just my impression...
Gill

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:33 am

Don't do it.
I know nothing!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:39 am

Price out removal of the pool for future information. Some towns allow just dumping a bunch of dirt in and calling it a day. Many require complete removal of every single piece of the pool before dumping a bunch of dirt in.

Is your family in someone else's pool or at a pool club every day? If so, might be worth it. If not, just join a pool club and keep track of whether your family is using it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:43 am

We put one in 19 years ago with no regrets.
Some will say "just go to the beach" or neighborhood pool. While you are driving to the beach I'm already sitting poolside with a gin-and-tonic in my hand (with no need to worry about driving home). Neighborhood pools and beaches get crowded and noisy. My pool is controlled by me - we might have neighbors over or just enjoy a relaxing day with a book. The real pleasure for me has been the years of memories with the kids - yes we take vacations - but being able to hop in after dinner with them during the week, etc has been priceless.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 am

LAlearning wrote:Don't do it.
Agreed. I've heard it said that a pool is a hole, surrounded by vinyl or concrete, into which money is poured.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Price out removal of the pool for future information. Some towns allow just dumping a bunch of dirt in and calling it a day. Many require complete removal of every single piece of the pool before dumping a bunch of dirt in.

Is your family in someone else's pool or at a pool club every day? If so, might be worth it. If not, just join a pool club and keep track of whether your family is using it.
I have heard, for whatever that is worth, that just dumping dirt in leaves the pool vulnerable to "floating up" when the ground gets saturated.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 am

TxAg wrote:
Gill wrote:
Gill
Texas my whole life
Live in Texas and Texas Ag is right it will detract or be neutral for some and a big plus for others just like any feature of a home that takes up room and has maintenance cost. In Texas a pool may be cheaper to maintain than grass in the summer but they do require some care. We have a pool and access to a neighborhood pool. Probably 20%-25% of the homes in our neighborhood have pools. When the house next door sold they new owner put in a gorgeous small pool, huge upgrade imho and gets tons of use in the summer months. Personally I think a well landscaped pool makes a far more attractive backyard than grass especially with well done water features. But if someone has small kids or dogs they may have safety and space concerns. Bottom line when you go to sell it will be a plus for some buyers a minus for others and you will probably get about half the cost of construction back. In other words a pool is not an investment it is a upgrade that will be well worth the cost if your family gets use and enjoyment out of it otherwise it will turn into a pain.

As for me we did our pool with a darker bottom and stone surround with a waterfall water feature and local plants. I don't have to go in to enjoy it I can just sit out there and it is like being out in nature a bit which I find very relaxing and a pleasant change from the suburb I live in.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am

samsoes wrote:
LAlearning wrote:Don't do it.
Agreed. I've heard it said that a pool is a hole, surrounded by vinyl or concrete, into which money is poured.

Why not share your personal details with the OP since that's what he asked for rather than just annectodal fear statements? My personal experience in the last 19 years is that it has been far less money or time to maintain than the pool-fear folks out there had led me to believe. 45 minutes a week to do vaccum/balancing and a few hundred dollars per season in chemicals and electricity use. Plan on a new pump and sand filter every 10 years.

whattodonow

Post by whattodonow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 am

Do you have a lot of trees? Will it be screened in? Is that included in the cost?

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
TxAg wrote:
Gill wrote:
Gill
Texas my whole life
Live in Texas and Texas Ag is right it will detract or be neutral for some and a big plus for others just like any feature of a home that takes up room and has maintenance cost. In Texas a pool may be cheaper to maintain than grass in the summer but they do require some care. We have a pool and access to a neighborhood pool. Probably 20%-25% of the homes in our neighborhood have pools. When the house next door sold they new owner put in a gorgeous small pool, huge upgrade imho and gets tons of use in the summer months. Personally I think a well landscaped pool makes a far more attractive backyard than grass especially with well done water features. But if someone has small kids or dogs they may have safety and space concerns. Bottom line when you go to sell it will be a plus for some buyers a minus for others and you will probably get about half the cost of construction back. In other words a pool is not an investment it is a upgrade that will be well worth the cost if your family gets use and enjoyment out of it otherwise it will turn into a pain.

As for me we did our pool with a darker bottom and stone surround with a waterfall water feature and local plants. I don't have to go in to enjoy it I can just sit out there and it is like being out in nature a bit which I find very relaxing and a pleasant change from the suburb I live in.

That sounds like a nice place to relax! I like the dark bottom and abundant landscaping.

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 am

Smurf wrote:When I crunch the numbers around opportunity cost this pool could be a $200k expense with the initial outlay and maintenance costs over the next 15 years which is our expected time in this house.
I bought a house with a pool and it was a key factor in deciding that I wanted the house. If it didn't have the pool, I would have passed. I live in NJ, though, where neighborhood pools are less of a thing. I love it, and I'm glad I have it, but if it magically disappeared, I'm not sure I'd pay 45k for a new one.

How did you arrive at the $200k expense? How much of that was opportunity cost and how much as actual expenses? A pool with a salt water chlorine generator requires very few inexpensive chemicals that you can usually find at the grocery store. I spend about $300 per year on my 33000 gallon pool.

Is an above ground pool an option? You can probably get one installed for 3-5k, and if you don't like it, it's easy to get rid of. Most communities won't allow them, though.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:40 pm

I put a pool in 2 years ago in a house I just built. I was very hesitant at first about doing it. My wife and I had rented for 7 years on a lake and were buying this house because the first kid was on the way. So having water based entertainment in the backyard was always part of our life.

The cost was about 40-50k initially for everything. It costs about 1-1.5k annually to maintain for opening, closing and chemicals. I live in the northeast, so I got a heater to extend the season to 4-5 months.

I went in knowing that it was an expense for my families entertainment and had no delusions of getting my $ back on resale. I was able to wrap my head around it by thinking of living in the house for a minimum of 10-15 years. Instead of a country club membership, I have this.

Now with two young kids, I can say it was a great decision. Every day after work and all weekend I literally walk outside and go swimming with my kids. No traveling, packing a car, and wasted time.

It is awesome. Especially with young kids.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (pool).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Grew up with one -- a really nice in-ground plaster-lined cement pool better than most are built today. It was a blast. But it was a lot of work -- for my Dad and for us kids -- and that's what I remember most. You don't frost (maybe) where you are but it's a constant battle with vacuuming, plumbing, electric, opening and closing (covering), back-flushing the filter, heating, re-fueling for heater, shock-treating, pH'ing, etc., etc. I'm not a huge fan of "simplification," but this is a perpetual complication that I'm not in a hurry for. I know I'd be tempted to fix things and get competitive bids, or ignore some purely cosmetic things that won't progress or affect function, as would most BH. I think pools can be relatively painless for non-BH -- just pay the pool guy, and/or fix any issue with a single phone call and a single check for whatever expensive contractor is needed. But I know I just can't be that clueless or hands-off with my home and my money.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:10 pm

We live in SE Alabama and we had a gunite pool built 10 years ago. First of all, if you decide to purchase a Pool you will get a much better quote if you wait until the off-season. It cost me approximately $30,000. Over the years we have enjoyed our pool very much. However, a pool is like a boat and it is a money pit. I've had to replace the pool pump twice, the salt water generator, the Polaris twice, repair a leak, repair broken tiles, resurface concrete, purchase ungodly amount of salt, Muriatic acid, chlorine tablets, black algicide, Etc. That's not including the countless hours spent cleaning the pool. All in all it was a very poor investment. But my family has thoroughly enjoyed the pool . In our area pools do not increase the value of a home but they don't decrease the value either. You'll have to decide if you think it's worth it in your situation. I will tell you that when I sell this house I will never ever own another home with a pool.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Thank you for all the replies. To the cost question I came up with the $200k "15 year cost" based on $45,000 initial outlay and $3,000 yearly maintenance related to the pool. If I earned 7% on that money it's like 199k. Maybe $3,000 is too high, but even if it's $0/yr maintenance it's still a huge sum of money over the long haul.

As I sit here tonight in the 95 degree humid heat of the Carolinas, with a bored kid wondering around the money seems less important. However, my logical self will prevail and we will continue to trudge to the community pool up the road.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 am

DO IT!

If you can pay cash, the money to maintain the pool probably won't effect you.

We put ours in a little over 5 years ago. We only use our pool from May to September (no heater either), but the kids love it and I personally love it. We paid cash, but ours was only 12k cause we did it all ourselves. Luckily my uncle and FIL are skilled and confident.

The wife and I are both off in the summer. We were also young when we put it in 26 and 23. We knew we would get years of fun in our prime out of the investment. We also bought a smaller 11 x 30 4' deep fiberglass to minimize maintenance. It's super easy to clean and very durable. It fits our backyard too.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:03 am

My wife wanted a pool, and got an above-ground pool a few years ago. I think she enjoyed it, but although she wouldn't say, I think it was more work than she thought. It's gone now, and there's a hole (not deep, but a hole) that still needs to be filled in. I was pretty sure it was a bad idea, but it was her choice and my input wasn't considered. I hope it was worth it to her. We don't have a neighborhood pool.

What concerns me in the original post is the discussion of "opportunity cost." If you go by that you'll never buy anything discretionary. I'm guessing that $200k isn't just pool + supplies, it's counting on investment returns that probably won't materialize anyway.

On the other hand, maybe if I knew I'd move in fifteen years, I'd move now instead, then worry about the pool.

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 am

That's what I thought about you using the 200k for the 15 year cost. I think you're a bit high on the maintenance side, but I don't think that's skewing your numbers too badly.

Another consideration is how long you plan to stay in your home. I know of people that put in expensive new pools, then moved in 5 years. It can be hard to predict, but you may have a good idea by now.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 am

Do it. I am in NJ and this week it was a 103'F with high humidity. We did ours 11 years ago for ~$40,000 and about $1000 annually for chemicals, opening and closing and have no regrets!

I have five words of advise on pool ownership:

1. Remember it is a construction project - make sure contractor and subcontractor have proper licenses and insurance and be there throughout the process including filter and electrical placement. Remember to place your pool for maximum sunlight.

2. If the pool is clear and chlorine and pH or salt (if that your option) are at acceptable levels - do not add anything even if they test the water - they (pool supply stores) always tell you need something.

3. If you buy any pool accessories, if there is a picture of a women on it - it will not hold an average size male. It always look nice, but you will be throwing money away. Buy high quality polyurethane foam floating mats - at least two - his and hers.

4. Buy a robot for cleaning it - I have a Dolphin Diagnostic. Throw it in once a week, clean bag every time. I have never vacuumed my pool - the original parts are still in their original boxes unopened. PS: It is fun to watch at night with a glass of wine by the fire pit.

5. Best websites in my opinion for pool supplies - http://www.intheswim.com and http://www.amerimerc.com
Last edited by stickman731 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:20 am

It's like a boat. It's not a wise financial decision but hearses don't have trailer hitches. If you'll use it and you can afford it, then buy it. Don't start doing future value calculations on the money. You'll never buy anything if you do that and you'll die a rich miser.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:51 am

In my area pools add almost nothing to the value of a house, you are better off buying a house that already has a pool. Personally I have access to good pools at a private club, the gym I belong to, and the municipal community center so there would be no point in having one at home, unless I decided I wanted to host a bunch of pool parties at my house.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:54 pm

We installed a pool 3 years ago and we live it! Ours cost more than double the numbers you're talking. Modern / well constructed pools are easy to maintain.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Smurf wrote:Thank you for all the replies. To the cost question I came up with the $200k "15 year cost" based on $45,000 initial outlay and $3,000 yearly maintenance related to the pool. If I earned 7% on that money it's like 199k. Maybe $3,000 is too high, but even if it's $0/yr maintenance it's still a huge sum of money over the long haul.

As I sit here tonight in the 95 degree humid heat of the Carolinas, with a bored kid wondering around the money seems less important. However, my logical self will prevail and we will continue to trudge to the community pool up the road.
$3,000 a year?!!! We open ours ourselves (easy to do), probably pay $400 annually in salt and shock. We pay to have it closed / winterized which is $250.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:47 pm

I was lobbied by wife and daughters to install a pool in our nicely, shaded rear yard.

I countered by offering country club membership.

Even after the dues, and treating the kids friends to cokes and 'dogs and burgers, I feel we came out WAY ahead.

Along with the club membership, I had a 30'x25' deck built around the trees.

Kids long gone, deck still used regularly.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

westie

Post by westie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Two pools in the neighborhood? Buy a golf cart and use them.

Bentire

Post by Bentire » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 pm

After owning and paying for upkeep of a backyard pool for years, we took ours out by removing the plumbing and electrical and burying it...now a fine garden and more enjoyable year round.

SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:23 am

Purchased our most recent house in the SE and it came with a 20x40ft pool in the backyard. Wife was transitioning into the stay-at-home mom role so she really wanted a pool to relax in. Lived in the house for two years and am currently renting it (the renters jumped at the rental because of the pool). Currently live in a neighborhood with a neighborhood pool and it's nowhere near the same as having our own pool.
Some thoughts:
1. I don't think I ever truly mastered the chemistry of the pool. Probably spent $1k over what I truly needed to spend on chemicals in trying to correct my previous mistakes.
2. Closing the pool by ourselves was easy. I would strongly advise you to buy one of the heavy duty winter pool covers that advertise the ability to withstand an elephant standing on top of it. It gave us piece of mind.
3. We purchased two different robotic cleaners for our pool and they were both on the cheaper end ($125 and $200). Neither of them worked very well.
4. We ran the pump and filter 12hrs/day. I'd guess it averaged an extra $100/month in electricity.
5. Every spring, Costco runs a sale on their big tubs of Chlorine and Shock - it's a good time to stock up for the summer.
6. Opening the pool by ourselves was a mistake. Despite my Phd in watching YouTube "how to" videos, I still screwed it up. After $150 in chemicals, I paid a company to empty my pool, scrub it, and start from scratch.
7. We have a diving board in our deep end and even though I'm too old to be doing anything crazy, it's still nice to play around on with the kids.
8. My wife used the pool 6-7 times per week. I used it 3-5 times per week.
9. It was nice having the privacy of our own pool. No worries about what to wear, how to behave, where to put our towels and valuables, when we had to leave because the pool was closing, etc..
10. Our friends also loved us having the pool. It was great for my wife to be able to invite other stay at home mom's over and be able to relax pool side while the kids played.
11. It was much easier to get our kids used to the water and swimming in our pool. Now that we have a neighborhood pool, our kids have slightly regressed in their water comfort as whenever we go, there always seems to be a ton of people swimming (lots of noise, splashing, jumping around, etc..).
12. Just reemphasizing how frustrating the chemistry was with our pool. Lots and lots of trips to our local pool store with water samples. My brother also has a pool and thinks I'm just an idiot because he never seems to have the issues I have.

Bottom Line: If it were me, I probably wouldn't spend $40k on the pool unless it came with a year's worth of "how to". My wife, on the other hand, would probably say the $40k is money well spent.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:18 am

Thank you for all the very diversified replies. It's interesting to see that most with a pool, recommend the pool and those without suggest avoiding one. It was so hot in the Carolinas this weekend. We packed 30lbs of water guns and food and made our weekly trip to the neighborhood pool. It was not crowded and very nice to relax with a fancy Miller Lite. 45 minutes later a rumble of thunder from a single dark cloud 198 miles away caused the lifeguards to react as if a drone was overhead and just dropped a Hellfire missile. Yeah yeah I know they are doing their job, but it was annoying none the less.

Several comments mentioned that I should ignore opportunity cost as I would never buy anything and become a miser. That is 100% the truth as I am a scrooge when it comes to money. I'm going to do something expensive for our family this year that will pay enjoyment dividends for years. I don't believe modern pools are the headache people believe. We are going to go for it!

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 am

Smurf wrote:We are going to go for it!

:sharebeer

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by BHUser27 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Smurf wrote:<snip>I don't believe modern pools are the headache people believe.
You are mistaken here^^^, but sounds like you have done your homework and know what you are getting into.
We are going to go for it!
Congrats!
Don't forget to enjoy the process as well as the product.
Be sure to seek out former customers of your selected builder, buy them lunch and ask a lot of questions about their experience through the build process and with the final product.
Good Luck!
:sharebeer

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Smurf wrote: We are going to go for it!
Congratulations! (and also good job recognizing the naysayers most of whom don't have the experience to back up their anecdotes!)

I see an opportunity for a local Boglehead gathering spot :happy

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Smurf wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:18 am
I'm going to do something expensive for our family this year that will pay enjoyment dividends for years. I don't believe modern pools are the headache people believe. We are going to go for it!
You should provide us with an update!
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:56 pm

When I was shopping for a house, if I saw it had a pool I would automatically cross it off the list. I live in the Midwest and it is very hard to sell a house if you have a pool. Maybe 10% of the buyers will want to deal with that headache in the ground. Are you sure that having a pool increases the home value? Have you spoken to a realtor about it?

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 pm

health teacher wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 am
DO IT!

If you can pay cash, the money to maintain the pool probably won't effect you.

We put ours in a little over 5 years ago. We only use our pool from May to September (no heater either), but the kids love it and I personally love it. We paid cash, but ours was only 12k cause we did it all ourselves. Luckily my uncle and FIL are skilled and confident.

The wife and I are both off in the summer. We were also young when we put it in 26 and 23. We knew we would get years of fun in our prime out of the investment. We also bought a smaller 11 x 30 4' deep fiberglass to minimize maintenance. It's super easy to clean and very durable. It fits our backyard too.
How do you feel about the depth?

Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Sounds to me like you already know your answer: "$200,000 would make me sick". But if you want other view points I can tell you that I grew up with a pool in backyard and ADORED IT!

There is nothing better than taking a skinny dip at night in a warm pool of your own and coming inside and feeling relaxed and refreshed after a swim. Swimming is a skill you can practice all your life after your knees give out from running.

It's also a child magnet. The grand kids will love it, trust me.

After I had moved to NYC, I looked forward going back to visiting my folks to get into that pool.

In fact, a pool is probably the only material luxury I really do crave. But alas, I'm in NYC so the gym pool will have to do for me.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 am

I do have an update, but not the one you're probably expecting. We did not build the pool, but only because ~30 days after we decided to move forward I accepted a ~3 year rotation for my job and moved to Iowa. Life changes fast. However, we still own the house in the Carolina's and will build the pool when we return.