Request for recommendations: English Mystery TV series

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
walnut

Re: Request for recommendations: English Mystery TV series

Post by walnut »

"Campion" series based on Margery Allingham's books are classics. She was a contemporary of Agatha Christie. Should be able to see on Amazon, Nerflix or AcornTV. Have found actual books less entertaining.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

burt wrote:I really enjoyed "Happy Valley" and "Last Tango in Halifax" with Sarah Lancashire.

burt

I wouldn't consider Last Tango in Halifax a mystery series by any stretch of the imagination.
Gordon
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Good thread since I love a good mystery.

Poirot is my favorite. Nothing really compares, unfortunately. I am pretty heartbroken it's over. After watching the last episode, I got pretty depressed. So that's the downside! David Suchet did such a fantastic job, and all around the production values were great and got better as the show went on.

British: Cracker http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105977/ is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, starring Robbie Coltrane. The best show that no one has ever seen. I liked the new Sherlock but they apparently make only 1 episode per year.

US: I also liked "The Killing" (Netflix), which is set in Seattle.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
walnut

Post by walnut »

Further to above on Campion. Whole series apparently on You Tube.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

finite_difference wrote:Good thread since I love a good mystery.

Poirot is my favorite. Nothing really compares, unfortunately. I am pretty heartbroken it's over. After watching the last episode, I got pretty depressed. So that's the downside! David Suchet did such a fantastic job, and all around the production values were great and got better as the show went on.

British: Cracker http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105977/ is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, starring Robbie Coltrane. The best show that no one has ever seen. I liked the new Sherlock but they apparently make only 1 episode per year.

US: I also liked "The Killing" (Netflix), which is set in Seattle.
The Killing was originally a Danish TV series, which is excellent. In fact all the Danish imports (the Bridge, Borgen etc.) are excellent.

Note w Sherlock Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have become big name actors. They usually do 3x 90 min episodes a season, but the seasons start irregularly. Season 4 is being made and there was a Christmas episode, but it's unlikely they will do Season 5 (who knows, though).
dcare

Post by dcare »

In addition to most of the above mentioned, one of my favorites is Rake - the Australian version of a racy Rumpole
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

dcare wrote:In addition to most of the above mentioned, one of my favorites is Rake - the Australian version of a racy Rumpole
- or House with a law degree.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

Top of the Lake is good, but it's more like The Killing than Midsomer Murders.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

gkaplan wrote:
burt wrote:I really enjoyed "Happy Valley" and "Last Tango in Halifax" with Sarah Lancashire.

burt

I wouldn't consider Last Tango in Halifax a mystery series by any stretch of the imagination.
Tango is a darn good show, even without dead bodies (except for the one). I was wondering whether to mention it because of this obvious shortcoming.

I like the new Sherlock but the old version with Jeremy Brett is wonderful, especially if you think the new one gets too cute sometimes.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley »

Hinterland - police procedural in Wales (on Netflix)
Case Histories - private investigator in Edinburgh - based on Kate Atkinson series - not sure where currently available
Waking the Dead - police procedural - not sure where currently available
gretah

Post by gretah »

I'm with the above poster:
Case Histories with Jason Isaacs is terrific!
Waking the Dead with Trevor Eve is about cold case files. Very well done!
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I put a bunch of the above recommendations on my Netflix list.

I started with Broadchurch. So far I am enjoying this. I was a bit surprised at the structure. I was expecting that each episode (or two) would wrap up some story or mystery, but after 5 episodes we still haven't solved the murder in episode 1!

24 episodes are listed, 16 actually in Netflix. The remaining 8 are listed as 2017. Perhaps the current plot will be resolved at the end of season 1. I would hate to have to wait until the 2017 season makes it to Netflix.

Please don't give anything away!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

I loved Broadchurch--David Tennant and Olivia Colman are fantastic. D.I. Hardy is so hilariously grumpy. Have you gotten to the awkward dinner party yet?

They are currently filming season 3 (or series 3 as they would say in the UK), which will be the last, according to the creator.* If it follows the pattern of the previous 2, it will be aired in the UK and then will make it to Netflix and the US a few months later.

(*Chris Chibnall, who must have made some kind of deal with the devil to create this great series; those of us who saw his episodes for Doctor Who and Torchwood would never have predicted this...)
carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 »

In keeping with the BBC genre I second Death in Paradise-can't figure out where season five went and season six is being filmed. I found it on Netflix after seeing it on PBS in Los Angeles. Death in Paradise has great reviews and it's one of the top rated BBC shows as a favorite. Watching Rosemary and Thyme through for the second time since I'm not finding the "British cozy"-murder mysteries without the blood, guts and gore. Does an Australian actor count? Longmire is excellent! He's set in Montana and is from a popular murder mystery series by author Craig Johnson. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make Acorn work better? It often stutters and just stops. It's very frustrating because they've got some good shows-more in the BBC tradition where I don't have to cringe to avoid the gory scenes when I watch it. I see where Amazon is now offering Acorn with its Prime subscription. I would hope that Amazon would use its deep pockets to fix the Acorn stuttering problem. Netflix runs smoothly so I assume it's lack of financial deep pockets to fix the delivery pipeline at Acorn.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Pyrite wrote:I loved Broadchurch--David Tennant and Olivia Colman are fantastic. D.I. Hardy is so hilariously grumpy. Have you gotten to the awkward dinner party yet?
Agree. Their characters are great. Yes. That dinner party was awkward. :happy

Some of the townspeople are hilariously self-centered. Many full of secrets, which Hardy and Ellie are slowly uncovering.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I think you'd like Grantchester. It helps that the younger vicar and his older police partner are both pretty hot. If this were an American production, they would probably be shirtless half the time. Alas.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Caduceus wrote:I think you'd like Grantchester. It helps that the younger vicar and his older police partner are both pretty hot. If this were an American production, they would probably be shirtless half the time. Alas.
I see more naked buts and boobies on British TV!
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

They should re-do the series before Season 12 with better sets and production values. I would love to see David Suchet in a remake of Poirot with an unlimited budget for costumes and sets. And, to be honest, a different soundtrack (I find the opening theme really cheesy.)
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

There are at least two Father Brown series, one on acorn.tv with Kenneth More and one being broadcast on the local Minneapolis public TV station starring Mark Williams.
Timeforchange

Post by Timeforchange »

I got some new ideas from everyone's posts, so here are a few that I liked: Brokenwood Mysteries (set in NZ); Agatha Christie's Parners in Crime: Tommy & Tuppence -- this one is from the 1980s with Francesca Annis; Kingdom (OK, Stephen Fry is a lawyer, but there are some mysteries in this absolutely wacky, zany show); Pie in the Sky with Richard Griffiths; Maigret with Michael Gambon; Mrs. Bradley Mysteries with Diana Rigg, Neil Dudgeon and Peter Davison. These are all available via Netflix or Acorn TV.
t3chiman

Post by t3chiman »

gretah wrote:...Waking the Dead with Trevor Eve is about cold case files. Very well done!...
Agree that the series is well put together. But this is the darkest of the English copper shows. Corrupt officials; underage gay prostitution; IRA triple agents; blackmail,murder, torture; cynical coverups. All covered in grim detail. At a certain level, it's fascinating to watch; but it is a relief when each show is over. Don't tune this in thinking that it's another Inspector Lewis.
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

Australia:
Agatha Raisin (comedy/mystery)
Winter

UK
Shetland
Single-Handed
Thorne
Mr. and Mrs. Murder (comedy/mystery)

Ireland
Republic of Doyle

France
Jo
northwoods1

Post by northwoods1 »

How about a really old one, but totally different: Patrick McGoohan as "The Prisoner." It only ran for one season, and I'm not sure the mystery was ever solved . . . . . Unfortunately very hard to find.
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

Correction to my last post: Agatha Raisin takes place in the Cotswolds and London
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

northwoods1 wrote:How about a really old one, but totally different: Patrick McGoohan as "The Prisoner." It only ran for one season, and I'm not sure the mystery was ever solved . . . . . Unfortunately very hard to find.
possibly originally on CBS then started running repeatedly (just the one season) on PBS. there was a final show where #6 got back to London. but there was never a resolution as to what the "prison" was about or who was running it. there was also a graphic novel but that too had no answers.
for me, the attraction of these mystery series - besides the stories themselves - was the way the stories unfold in a more leisurely telling AND that there were no commercial

One more. Rufus Sewell as the Italian detective named Zen. ran for three sessions and was cancelled by the British producers. Like Wallander which was set in Sweden, Zen was filmed on location in Italy but dialog was in English.
I remember that Wallander had a neat twist in that any print items shown like a newspaper or sign was in Swedish...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Not sure if this series fits into your category, but I found The Night Manager (NM) enjoyable in six one-hour installment. It's on Amazon, produced by AMC.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/

Other than several leap of faith moments, it was great series based on a novel by John Le Carre, such as NM transformed from hotel manager to spy, the battle between NM and one of the thugs, and the fate of the main antagonist. The series has some great character actors, such as Hugh Laurie from House and Olivia Colman.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

htdrag11 wrote:Not sure if this series fits into your category, but I found The Night Manager (NM) enjoyable in six one-hour installment. It's on Amazon, produced by AMC.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/

Other than several leap of faith moments, it was great series based on a novel by John Le Carre, such as NM transformed from hotel manager to spy, the battle between NM and one of the thugs, and the fate of the main antagonist. The series has some great character actors, such as Hugh Laurie from House and Olivia Colman.
That sounds interesting! I like Le Carre. I wil look it up. Thanks.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

northwoods1 wrote:How about a really old one, but totally different: Patrick McGoohan as "The Prisoner." It only ran for one season, and I'm not sure the mystery was ever solved . . . . . Unfortunately very hard to find.
PBS for sure ran the whole series in the 1970s-- I remember watching it.

Not sure if it was "only one series". There is a finite number of episodes. It plays with your head. The "resolution" as such wasn't a resolution. It's a masterpiece, filmed at Pormeiron (sp?) in Wales.

McGoohan previously did "Danger Man/ Secret Agent" and in some senses The Prisoner was a sequel. DM/ TSA was a more traditional spy series, but had some very good moments. Recommended (can't remember which title was used in USA v. UK).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

carruthers209 wrote:In keeping with the BBC genre I second Death in Paradise-can't figure out where season five went and season six is being filmed. I found it on Netflix after seeing it on PBS in Los Angeles. Death in Paradise has great reviews and it's one of the top rated BBC shows as a favorite. Watching Rosemary and Thyme through for the second time since I'm not finding the "British cozy"-murder mysteries without the blood, guts and gore. Does an Australian actor count? Longmire is excellent! He's set in Montana and is from a popular murder mystery series by author Craig Johnson. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make Acorn work better? It often stutters and just stops. It's very frustrating because they've got some good shows-more in the BBC tradition where I don't have to cringe to avoid the gory scenes when I watch it. I see where Amazon is now offering Acorn with its Prime subscription. I would hope that Amazon would use its deep pockets to fix the Acorn stuttering problem. Netflix runs smoothly so I assume it's lack of financial deep pockets to fix the delivery pipeline at Acorn.
Because the BBC is our PBS and is financed by a compulsory fee, it historically is very sensitive to broadcasting standards. License payer complaints are taken seriously.

It's thus very light on the swearing and the blood and gore. Seems to have gotten worse in recent years.

That said, Monty Python certainly went places American commercial TV wouldn't go in those days ;-).

And when "I, Claudius" was shown on PBS it caused people to rip up their memberships. It followed the texts of Suetonius quite faithfully (and understated what actually happened). Pretty harrowing in a a couple of parts-- if you want to show history accurately...
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

blgaarder wrote:A
Ireland
Republic of Doyle
o
I think 'Republic of Doyle' is actually Canadian, set in Newfoundland? NFLD only joined Confederation in 1949, having been a directly governed colony of the UK until then. It has quite an Irish culture due to shared origins in the fishermen who came across.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Doyle

On the West Coast we had "The Beachcombers" which was similarly steeped in that culture. And we had "Da Vinci's Law" which is set in a coroner's office in Vancouver.

The Canadian spy series, again with that wry humour, was "Adderly" which had some classic episodes.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Valuethinker wrote:
PBS for sure ran the whole series in the 1970s-- I remember watching it.

Not sure if it was "only one series". There is a finite number of episodes. It plays with your head. The "resolution" as such wasn't a resolution. It's a masterpiece, filmed at Pormeiron (sp?) in Wales.

McGoohan previously did "Danger Man/ Secret Agent" and in some senses The Prisoner was a sequel. DM/ TSA was a more traditional spy series, but had some very good moments. Recommended (can't remember which title was used in USA v. UK).
+1, highly recommended. The episode "The Woman Who Was Death" is one of my favorite hours of television as a child. The show has aged well too -- I first saw it in the early 2000s.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

S&L1940 wrote:
possibly originally on CBS then started running repeatedly (just the one season) on PBS. there was a final show where #6 got back to London. but there was never a resolution as to what the "prison" was about or who was running it. there was also a graphic novel but that too had no answers.
for me, the attraction of these mystery series - besides the stories themselves - was the way the stories unfold in a more leisurely telling AND that there were no commercial

One more. Rufus Sewell as the Italian detective named Zen. ran for three sessions and was cancelled by the British producers. Like Wallander which was set in Sweden, Zen was filmed on location in Italy but dialog was in English.
I remember that Wallander had a neat twist in that any print items shown like a newspaper or sign was in Swedish...
Aurelio Zen was good-- wasn't renewed because the international partner (US?) wouldn't keep financing it.

There is an Italian series Inspector Montalbano which is taking tv here by storm.

All of the Scandinavian noir stuff, from Scandi TV, has been big: The Bridge, Borgen, The Killing, Wallender (the Swedish one). There's also one about a Russian political takeover of Norway which seems incredibly current.

Couple of French police shows also here now. Have to look them up.

But Euro-Crime is big, here. Maybe that's why we voted to #Brexit ;-).
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

There is also a new series from down under, The Kettering Incident with Elizabeth Debicki from The Night Manager series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4228802/?ref_=rvi_tt

I watched it for about 5 minutes. It's kind of reminded me of X-files. Got too many other stuff to watch at this moment, so I put this one on my back burner.

Another detective mini-series mentioned earlier is Broadchurch with Olivia Colman, also from he Night Manager. This one is long with 24 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

A French detective series I started but did not finish is Spiral or Engrenages, even longer at 52.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477507/

I've seen both the Bridge and then The Killing (2 years later); both are excellent.

A very dark series (movie length) of 3 with Sean Bean is Red Riding, not for the fainted heart.