Job Offer, What Should I Do

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Marjimmy

Job Offer, What Should I Do

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 am

Hey all,

Been interning for Company A for 3 months this summer and have gotten to know a lot of the coworkers really well. Great people. Got a job offer from them today offering roughly 65k starting. I took the job on the spot. I still have one more year of school left, would it have been wiser to wait on the job to search for Company B-Z and see what they have to offer? Impulse, I realize... but if anything.... I work there for a year or two and look for other opportunities while continuing to network.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight as always,
:sharebeer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

batpot

Re: Job Offer, What Should I Do

Post by batpot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:22 am

Did you sign anything?
No harm in continuing to look, it might give you leverage to counter-offer, too.
But if you signed something, you need to understand those terms before accepting another position.

If you didn't sign anything, the only harm could be "burning bridges", but I don't think that is a big concern, given your newness.

And of course, salary isn't everything.
Good people is a huge factor, though, but also consider 401k matching, other bennies, the commute, etc.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:24 am

Do a normal job search during the fall semester. If you find something that you like much better, send your regrets to the current company. Do give them the curtesy of decided many months before graduations so they can look for someone else. It will be much better for everyone if you turn down the job before you graduate rather than leaving for something else 8 months into the job.

Your first job after school is critical in shaping your career. Choose what's best for you.

PS - If you signed something, it was probably a job offer letter or something informal. Very few jobs in the US actually have strict employment contracts. Companies can normally fire you without notice; you can do the same to them.

Topic Author
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Right, salary isn't everything. The workers I work with at the moment are all easy going. I should note I did not sign anything and only gave a quick verbal commitment. A lot of opportunity and benefits for traveling. I just don't want to burn bridges in this field since it is fairly small. Commute at the moment is roughly 45 minutes. Nothing out of the average.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm of the opinion that money really matters in your first job. Often times your future employers will ask you about your current compensation and use that as a basis for your future compensation. The employers goal is to get you to work for them for as little as possible.

If you don't like the job, you can switch after some time but having a higher salary should give you more leverage in future jobs.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:02 pm

If this was a formal job offer and there was a lot of paperwork from their HR department then somewhere in all that there was likely a lot of fine print that included statements that allows the company to withdraw the offer for basically any reason they want.

During the dot com bust and the financial crisis in 2008 many graduating college students that had what they thought were firm job offers find out that the company could withdraw the job offer. As I recall there were even some posts back then by people that showed up for their first day of work only to be given a small severance check.

Even in normal times a year from now the company you were working for could be in the middle of a merger or in a bind because sales are down or there was a contract that was cancelled so there might not be a job for you then.

Employers have the option of setting up contracts with employees that specify the terms and length of employment. Below the executive level they rarely have set contracts but instead choose to have their employees be "at-will" employees where either the employer or employee can end the relationship for any reason. Occasionally losing a desired employee is a risk they take.

Unless you got something like a signup bonus then there is likely little repercussions in taking a different job other than disappointing the people you worked with. All of the people that work at the company have been through this before and while they might be disappointed if you don't actually go to work there they will understand your situation.

You really need to keep in touch with the job market just as a backup in case something happens with this job offer.

One thing that you may find though is that since you have accepted their job offer the college may have been notified and you will not be able to interview for jobs through the college placement center, or other potential employers may see that your status is that you have already accepted an offer so you may get fewer interviews.

If you do get a clearly better offer then go on and take in and don't feel like you have to go to work for the first company for a year or two just because you said yes to them first. You would likely leave after that year or two and would not be all that happy there so you would not be doing them a favor.
batpot wrote:And of course, salary isn't everything.
+1

Getting a good first job that will get you a lot of good experience and possible career advancement is worth a lot.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:12 pm

In the future - always, always ask for 24 hours before providing a response. If they say "no" to 24 hours, it's not someone for which you want to work.

Also, in the future, almost always counter for a higher salary.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:40 pm

You can still pursue other options and politely back out later.

In today's world, we are all employed at will. It works both ways. I work solely on a contract basis and friends think it is risky. As if any job is that secure nowadays.

There is something to be said for liking the people you work with that can't easily be quantified in $$$s. You also probably have a pretty good idea of the work loads, expectations, hours, etc. with this company.

westie

Post by westie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Massachusetts is the first state to bar employers from asking about prior salaries. Starting in 2018.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Uhhh...nothing about employment is permanent. You could change your mind tomorrow.

dubsem

Post by dubsem » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:26 pm

If you're able to land a better offer, then by all means renege and take the better offer. You will 'burn a bridge' but you'll be in a better position for yourself, which is ultimately more important.
  • 1) Career advancement - probably most important is learning skills that you can transfer to senior/manager levels. When you want to leave your first job, your skills will be the most important in interviewing for new positions (and a referral doesn't hurt either).
    2) Salary - you definitely want to be adequately compensated or come in at market level even if it's an entry level gig. Your first salary isn't as important as the skills/advancement opportunities.
    3) Other things - commute, coworkers, work/life balance. I consider these less important factors than those above but still vital to succeeding at your first job. A 1.5 hour commute each way might kill some motivation, as would bad coworkers or work/life balance. It seems like these aren't bad for Company A though. However, if you decide to see what else is out there, make sure you interview Company B-Z as much as they'll interview you. Also, don't mention to Company B-Z that you have Company A on the table - it'd give you a bad look.
Best of luck.
G.O.O.D.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:44 pm

soboggled wrote:Uhhh...nothing about employment is permanent. You could change your mind tomorrow.
Exactly. I don't think they would hold it against you given that it is so far out (unless you wait until the last minute to tell them).

Keep in mind it works both ways. I wouldn't be shocked if a company doing this rescinded the offer based on cut backs or layoffs between now and the start date.