Florida for Christmas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
canga

Florida for Christmas

Post by canga » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 am

Wife and I are flying in from overseas to visit family in south Florida around Christmas time. We're looking at a 1 week getaway, probably by ourselves, to do some travel. We're adventurous, and like hiking, scuba diving, beaches, nature, food and different cultures.

We're looking at a trip to Miami, Everglades, and Key West (although Key West around Christmas seems to be too crowded). I had half a thought to visit a nearby country (so many within just 3 hours flight) but we're probably going to be on airplanes for enough as it is thus trip and would appreciate some driving.

Any thoughts on putting an itinerary together?

Globalviewer58

Re: Florida for Christmas

Post by Globalviewer58 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:25 am

Avoid Key West during Christmas time due to heavy crowds and jacked up prices.

Scuba for a week in Grand Cayman. Several airlines fly from Miami to Georgetown. The Sunset House is a 10 minute shuttle from the airport and has all the gear you need for 2-tank boat dives plus they leave tanks on the pier for shore dives. I would book now for Christmas trip.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:40 am

In my experience the week between Christmas and New Year in south Florida is one of the busiest/most crowded weeks of the year. I would avoid touristy areas.

foreverihope

Post by foreverihope » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 am

if you do stay in south florida, boynton beach has the best drift diving in the country (imo) and is the closest point to the gulf stream in the us.Not the best place to stay but very close to any south florida location( south florida is only the east coast of florida), not naples tampa etc( if your above the lake thats something most consider Georgia).