To Lasik or not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
uclalee

To Lasik or not?

Post by uclalee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 am

Thinking about getting Lasik at the end of the year. I would like to know if anyone has had good/bad experiences. And how do you find someone reputable?

coachz

Re: To Lasik or not?

Post by coachz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 am

I know nothing about it but there are some forums that might be interesting. I would read a lot before doing it as you only have 2 eyes.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/

http://www.lasikdisaster.com/

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:41 am

I understand problems can develop like seeing stars around lights, etc.

The day I have an optional operation on my eyes will be the day I vote for (insert most disgusting name here :-)

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:04 am

I know dozens of people who have had LASIK and are very happy with it. None of them post about it on the internet.

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 am

My mom had it and was ok, my neighbor had it and they did the wrong prescription on her eye, then they screwed it up again. She is a computer programmer and it has really messed her up still.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:10 am

uclalee wrote:Thinking about getting Lasik at the end of the year. I would like to know if anyone has had good/bad experiences. And how do you find someone reputable?

This is not medical advice. This is planning finances.

My wife had it in 2007 and this year needed cataract surgery.

Cataract surgery needs to be redone. She complained they didn't get it correct the first time.

The doctor claims that Lasik surgery both hastened the need for Cataract surgery (probably inevitable anyway) and made the Cataract surgery less accurate.

The correction for the Cataracts work is simply a 5 minute procedure to insert a corrective lens, so not a huge deal but I think it'd have been better to have had it done correctly in terms of how well she can read close up.

In any case, my wife's doctor stopped doing Lasik for that reason.

Not sure what my wife would have done in 2007 if she hadn't done Lasik though ... contact lenses till 2018 when finally she needed cataracts work? Earlier Cataracts work? I DK. Contacts and heavy glasses were not acceptable to her.
Last edited by in_reality on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:11 am

Wife had it done about 10 years ago and it was one of our best investments ever. From coke bottle type glasses and hard contact lenses to nothing at all. She was and is thrilled to this day.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:13 am

I had lasik in 2001. No problems at all. As a lifelong myope, it was great to be able to see at a distance (even read the face of the alarm clock) without glasses. That said, however, I almost instantly needed readers (something they warn you about). I still have absolutely no regrets about having done it, although I am beginning to notice some slight deterioration of my distance sight now, to the point where I may again need glasses for driving. But, 15 years without glasses? Priceless!

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 am

Had it 7 years ago at age 24. Best money I ever spent. The halos around lights, especially at night, were annoying but eventually faded(can't remember how long it took).

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 am

OP,

If you are old enough and you have cataract problem, you get your vision fixed via cataract surgery. Then, you do not need LASIK. Plus, in most cases, cataract surgery is covered under medical insurance. This was the case for me.

KlangFool

retire14

Post by retire14 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:32 am

i had it done 10 yrs ago and am very happy with it. My only problem was that when i had glasses i did not have to worry about reading glasses, now i do. it took awhile to remember to bring reading glasses with you.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:37 am

I got LASIK in 2012. One of the best things I have done. I had very poor vision prior (could not read alarm clock from 3 feet away) and have 20/15 corrected. Freedom from contacts has been outstanding - I do a lot outdoors (run/bike/swim/hike/ski) and it has simplified those activities a great deal.

To select a doctor, I went through online reviews (Yelp and Angie's list), and also checked credentials and past record as best I could. In the end, I selected one of the more expensive doctors in the area. If you are in the northeast, PM me and I can give you more info.

A few notes: I booked through a service called qualsight, which saved me 20-30% off the top. I also swapped to a HDHCP that year so that I was HSA eligible, and paid for the surgery (not covered by my insurance) from the HSA so at least it was pre-tax dollars.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am

1. I have worn glasses for the last 60 years. Doing fine and have no plans to do Lasik

2. I hear and read a lot of good things about Lasik

3. A friend of ours is an Ophthalmologist. I never discussed Lasik with her, but I notice she still wears glasses.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am

retire14 wrote:i had it done 10 yrs ago and am very happy with it. My only problem was that when i had glasses i did not have to worry about reading glasses, now i do. it took awhile to remember to bring reading glasses with you.

retire14,

http://www.allaboutvision.com/condition ... l-iols.htm

There is a newer type of implant that helps reading too. I have one of those implants. I just need more lights for reading.

KlangFool

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:10 am

I had LASIK in 2008, and I have been SO happy with it. Possibly the best thing I have ever done for myself, since I hated both glasses and contacts. The process was a bit terrifying, and it took me two days to actually have clear vision, but it's been 8 years now without glasses or contacts, and no issues. Obviously, there are risks, and LASIK is not successful for everyone.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 am

The above implants are for cataract lens replacement. There is another type of implant that is available for vision correction(more expensive than lasik, but potentially totally removable and not a permanent change to the eye like lasik is.

"Beyond LASIK, the most exciting advancement for vision correction has arrived. Implantable lenses, long used for treatment of cataracts, are now available for patients seeking vision correction.

With the Visian Implantable Contact Lens, you can achieve high-definition vision without many of the risks associated with LASIK. Rather than changing the shape of the cornea as in LASIK eye surgery, implantable lenses are placed inside the eye to enhance the focusing abilities of the eye’s natural lens, providing excellent quality of vision for a wide range of vision correction. Should your prescription change, the lens is replaceable to maintain your vision for years to come.

The Visian ICL™, or implantable contact lens, can correct moderate to severe myopia, or nearsightedness, as well as moderate astigmatism. This procedure is ideal for patients who may not have been candidates for LASIK or may have higher levels of nearsightedness."

Cost is much greater, up to $4k-6k an eye. I don't think they are approved for astigmatism yet, but they are working on that.
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpr

Post by bpr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 am

I had it done 12 years ago. No issues so far. My cousin had it done 14 years ago but she is back to glasses after 6 years of surgery.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:28 am

I couldn't do Lasik due to thin corneas but had PRK instead. This was in 2001 at the age of 40. I went from not being able to see the alarm clock to having 20/20 vision once the surgery and healing were complete. Wish I could have done it at a younger age. I did experience some of the star burst or halo effect, but it went away and wasn't that bad to begin with. With age, I've had to go to progressive lenses for reading and watching TV, and driving at night, but for most daily tasks my eyes see well enough without them.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:46 am

As a fan of the Washington Nationals, Lasik seems to have helped Wilson Ramos http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pas ... rgery.html

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hmm great if it works and people swear by it. Terrible if it doesn't. I'm not that much of a risk taker when it comes to my eyes.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 am

I had it 16 years ago. I have been extremely happy. Saved me so much in glasses, contacts and aggravation.

Unfortunately, I am getting to the age where I am starting to need reading glasses though. That is completely normal though as the Lasik was for near sightedness. My distance vision is still very good for driving, watching movies, etc.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

I had the newer (bladeless, computer controlled) version of Lasik, now have 20/15 vision. Some dryness and starburst at night from bright lights is normal the first year. The better doctors are good at detecting and screening out patients who will have bad results from the surgery - I went through a huge battery of tests beforehand.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:30 am

dm200 wrote:3. A friend of ours is an Ophthalmologist. I never discussed Lasik with her, but I notice she still wears glasses.

Some people are not good candidates for Lasik. Some people like glasses as a distraction from a facial feature. I wouldn't read anything at all into an individual ophthalmologist's continued use of glasses without knowing a lot more.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:41 am

I had Lasik about 10 years ago. I went from basically blind to near 20/20. My vision has worsened a bit since then and I could probably use glasses for watching TV but otherwise it's been perfect. I highly recommend it.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

dpc

Post by dpc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:16 am

IMO, it depends on your age. Because most people will need reading glasses or bi-focals by their mid-forties - regardless of Lasik surgery for myopia. I considered it but decided I was too old. If I was in my 20s, I'd seriously consider it - along with the risks. Of course now, I have early stage cataracts, so I will almost certainly be having surgery for that before long.

Also, with myopia, you can always take off your glasses to thread that needle or tie that fly. After Lasik, you'll be dependent on magnifiers of some kind.

Anecdotally, I will concur with an earlier comment - all of the eye doctors I have ever known wear glasses and none have had Lasik, that I am aware of. Needless to say - I'm not a doctor and not offering medical advice.

Good luck,

Dave
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:02 pm

I had it done in 2012 best decision I've made it has been awesome. It did take a few months for my eyes to stabilize, slight fluctuation in vision and halo around lights outside at night, but that all went away and has been so nice to not where glasses or contacts again and having the best vision I've ever known, I had to get glasses around 2nd or 3rd grade. For me well worth it. I couldn't see 6 inches past my face with out glasses. I was 31yr when i had it done.
"Gonna Make It"

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:16 pm

I had it done 17 years ago... Went from coke bottle glasses (I was like 20/700) to 20/30. Amazing. Very happy I did it.

Procedure is scary as heck though.. Although completely painless.

My distance vision has gotten bad again in the last two years (just from getting older I guess), but I think I'm just going to go with glasses.

Normal glasses, compared to my old coke-bottle glasses, will be just fine.

Even though I had a very good experience with Lasik, I don't think I'm going to do it again.

If you do it, get the best doctor possible. Do not cheap out on this.
Last edited by HomerJ on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:17 pm

uclalee wrote:Thinking about getting Lasik at the end of the year
Does your employer offer a Flexible Spending Account? You can use the FSA to pay for Lasik to clear out any remaining current year balance and even at the beginning of the year when the account hasn't fully funded.

gloomydog

Post by gloomydog » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:36 pm

I had lasik about 3 months ago. Very happy with the decision.

It cost about 5K for both eyes, I used FSA for some tax savings.

Surgeon had really good reviews everywhere, and the center itself was very professional and conducted thorough testing before the actual surgery since I have some other health problems. I could see clearly immediately after the 15 min surgery, wasn't afraid or overly excited either since I had prepared myself mentally (and they gave me a valium).

I'm about 20/30 in each eye now and astigmatism has improved a lot. Was non functional before without glasses. The doctors say the undercorrection was deliberate to help transition better to reading glasses in my 40s.

------------
I understand there are a couple risk factors that are not widely known, apart from the usual stuff like if you have diabetes or thin corneas or whatever.

1) If your pupils are extremely large, you will have high chance of halo or problems.
2) if your pupils are light colored and not darker colored, you can have some problems due to laser being used.

Anyways this is your eyes we're talking about. Make sure you go to the best surgeon possible. Don't go to a cheap groupon one!

powermega

Post by powermega » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I believe my lasik procedure was the best money I've ever spent. I went into it with an attitude of trying to spend as much as I can; no cheap drive-by procedures. I really could not be happier with the results. My procedure was done about 12 years ago.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:58 pm

I passed on it because of changing eyesight. If I had had it, I would still need glasses because my nearsightedness has been halved over the years, and because I'd still need reading glasses. Also, wearing glasses has saved me from eye injury more than once.

Lou354

Post by Lou354 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:00 pm

I had lasik about 10 years ago. I'm glad I did and wish I had done it sooner. The doctor came recommended by the spouse of a coworker.

The recovery took longer than I had been led to believe, so I was putting drops in my eyes for an extra month or so. I guess some people heal faster than others.

Some people mentioned seeing halos or starbursts at night. You may already experience that to some extent but don't pay any attention to it. After the surgery you will pay very close attention to any little thing and wonder whether it was caused by the surgery. Look at street lights sometime before the procedure to give yourself a baseline for comparison.

goldensam

Post by goldensam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:06 pm

I did it about 4.5 years ago. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Unless my vision was horrendous and I needed coke bottle glasses, I see no reason for anyone to be messing with my eyes. Of course, many docs push it - it's a big money-maker for them, so they hype it. A lot of it is sheer vanity: What's wrong with wearing glasses? And contrary to expectations , you may still have to. According to a survey, 81% of those over 55 still had to wear glasses. I bet you don't hear stories from those who are disappointed, just the happy endings.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/02/lasik-eye-surgery/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Topic is locked, medical advice.

Forum policy 4c:
Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum.