Changing mesh screen of patio sliding door

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Changing mesh screen of patio sliding door

Post by gas_balloon »

Any suggestions where I can get the mesh screen replaced? I checked my local home depot & Lowe's and both don't do it. I'd prefer avoiding the DIY approach, although the HD representative told it's pretty easy.
CAsage

Re: Changing mesh screen of patio sliding door

Post by CAsage »

Check with local door & window companies, or local handymen. It's really not hard if you can get stuff wide enough.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Local True Value hardware store. Ask them
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You are looking for a handyman. This is a very minor job.

I did it myself and it took 10 minutes. Watch a couple of videos on YouTube about it. Sometimes it's not just cheaper to do it yourself, it's also easier.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Where we are many hardware stores (i.e. ACE Hardware) have a service department that will do re-screening.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
camper

Post by camper »

I did it myself after watching a few youtube videos. Quick and easy experience. Our local Ace Hardware does it as well.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

If you are physically able to insert and remove a nut/bolt from an assembly, you can do this yourself, and it will be much less headache and time than trying to get someone else to do it. That is unless you have a vehicle large enough for the screen door - in that case you could take it to your local Ace or True Value for about the same effort.

If the screen door is on the exterior of the glass, you remove the screen door from it's tracks by lifting up on it and swinging the bottom out towards the exterior. If the screen door is on the interior of the glass, lift up and swing towards the interior.

Put screen door in truck and take to True Value/Ace OR watch youtube videos on replacement and then:
1. Put screen door down on a flat hard surface (workbench, basement or garage floor, patio, interior tile or hardwoods after you have put down towels to protect the interior floor)
2. Measure width and height of screen door. Make sure you own a flat head screwdriver and scissors.
3. Remove about a 1" piece of the spline that is keeping the screen in the door. This is so you will buy the same size.
4. Go to closest hardware store (small or big box)
5. Buy the following
- Spline in same diameter to match what you removed, and in sufficient length to go around door + some extra
- Spline tool to match the size spline you bought
- Screen material at least 6"-8" wider than the width of your door
I buy the darkest color they have because once installed that shows least. I also spring for the "visual enhanced" stuff that is supposedly less visible.
6. Go home, replace screen, have cold beverage of your preference.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I needed to replace a screen once. I just wanted to buy a new one and be done with it. The clerk at Home Depot basically forced me to buy the materials and equipment to do it myself. I did it. It is extremely easy. Since then I have repaired many screens on my own. I'm glad I was strong armed into doing it on my own.

I'm sure there is a youtube video that could teach you how to do it.
Topic Author
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

Saving$ wrote:If you are physically able to insert and remove a nut/bolt from an assembly, you can do this yourself, and it will be much less headache and time than trying to get someone else to do it. That is unless you have a vehicle large enough for the screen door - in that case you could take it to your local Ace or True Value for about the same effort.

If the screen door is on the exterior of the glass, you remove the screen door from it's tracks by lifting up on it and swinging the bottom out towards the exterior. If the screen door is on the interior of the glass, lift up and swing towards the interior.

Put screen door in truck and take to True Value/Ace OR watch youtube videos on replacement and then:
1. Put screen door down on a flat hard surface (workbench, basement or garage floor, patio, interior tile or hardwoods after you have put down towels to protect the interior floor)
2. Measure width and height of screen door. Make sure you own a flat head screwdriver and scissors.
3. Remove about a 1" piece of the spline that is keeping the screen in the door. This is so you will buy the same size.
4. Go to closest hardware store (small or big box)
5. Buy the following
- Spline in same diameter to match what you removed, and in sufficient length to go around door + some extra
- Spline tool to match the size spline you bought
- Screen material at least 6"-8" wider than the width of your door
I buy the darkest color they have because once installed that shows least. I also spring for the "visual enhanced" stuff that is supposedly less visible.
6. Go home, replace screen, have cold beverage of your preference.
Thanks -- that was very useful. I got the mesh kit from Lowes for $10 (includes fiberglass wire mesh, spline, and spline tool) and installed it myself using this instructions and a few Youtube videos.