Anyone else sick of AT&T internet? Suggestion needed please!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Houston101

Anyone else sick of AT&T internet? Suggestion needed please!

Post by Houston101 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:38 am

To say I have been very frustrated with AT&T Internet service would be an understatement.

Whenever I call them they tell me something else and actually do something completely different. e..g I had moved recently and called them for change of service address. Once the bill came at the new address it had equipment fee on there. I called them and told them I haven’t ordered anything from them and they need to refund this fee. They said they will refund the complete fee but then actually refunded only half of it.

Few months ago I got tired of AT&T and called to cancel the service and they told me that I am under a contract. I have been a customer with them for about 5 years and the only time I agreed to a contract was 5 years ago when I hooked up with AT&T. Apparently there is some sort of auto-renewal thing.
I have called AT&T and after hours of wait and run around only few things happen:

1) Sorry, you are under a contract or you changed the rate plan (I never did! see point 3 below).
2) Extremely rude customer service and they will just hang-up.
3) The will just change something else in the service e.g. rate plan, new equipment or something else.

So at this point I don’t want to call AT&T again and I cannot go to an AT&T store either because they cannot help with AT&T home internet or tv plans.
Just like everyone our time is precious and we don’t have spare hours to be on hold with customer service and end up being more frustrated.

I just want to end this contract and not have service with them anymore. What do you guys suggest is the best way to handle this?

LAlearning

Re: Anyone else sick of AT&T internet? Suggestion needed please!

Post by LAlearning » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:52 am

call and get moved up the chain to supervisor level. then call and call again.
can you cancel through your account online?
I know nothing!

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:56 am

Houston101 wrote:Once the bill came at the new address it had equipment fee on there. I called them and told them I haven’t ordered anything from them and they need to refund this fee. They said they will refund the complete fee but then actually refunded only half of it.
I am still battling mine. I had a modem fixed and the technician said it was free of charge under warranty (since I purchased the original one) . I was then hit with the equipment fee. I managed to get ATT to remove it (but what they did was add a discount to make the net charge $0). Then a year or two later I received a postcard saying that the discount was not one that applied to me and they removed it and charged the equipment fee again! Then after much argument I managed to find someone who said they would remove it but I am still wondering if they really have.

Unfortunately competition is very limited so your options are. Customer service stinks too.

I have had some success using the online chat to get fees and things removed or they may even be able to cancel your service - you just have to keep trying until you get someone who will co-operate. Each rep is different and provides different answers! Much nicer than having to call them. I've had zero luck getting anything out of the phone reps in my 8 years with ATT>

meebers

Post by meebers » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:58 am

No help on this specifically, but I have rid myself of all companies that require a contract. My cable company has no contract and we are on non contract cell phones. I had a "contract" once with ATT for cell phones with a very good rate, they asked me to upgrade because our phones no longer worked with their system, but I could upgrade for $$$ to new phones. Monthly fee's followed until we parted ways.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:03 pm

People on both FIOS and Google Fiber seem happy when I talk to them.

tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Houston101 wrote:To say I have been very frustrated with AT&T Internet service would be an understatement.
As a former customer of AT&T (landline, DSL internet, & mobile), I totally empathize. After connecting with a local utility watchdog, I finally felt empowered enough to extricate myself. The trick was to avoid number indicated on my bill. The watchdog said those reps are charged with selling/upselling, not service. Use an alternate number, 866.582.0713, for plan changes/cancellation, the watchdog advised. I live in Chicago and that number worked well for me. No runarounds, no sales pressure, no misinformation.

inverter

Post by inverter » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:07 pm

Honestly, people rag on Comcast, but once you get your service setup, I've never had a problem with them. Outage here (Atlanta, GA) once every 2-3 years.

We used to have constant problems with AT&T, both with the customer service and service.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:22 pm

i had no problems with ATT internet service or customer service, but i had a problem with em raising my rate every year. i said enough is enough when it got to $45 month DSL for 6 MPS speed and moved to comcast. shoulda done it sooner. much sooner.