anyone own a stingray corvette? how do you like it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sambb

anyone own a stingray corvette? how do you like it?

Post by sambb »

I am mostly a german/japanese car person, but wanting your opinion on this 2014-7 corvette, as far as performance and reliability, for one of my colleagues.
PoppyA

Re: anyone own a stingray corvette? how do you like it?

Post by PoppyA »

'17....love it! Comfortable, great tech, drives REALLY well, good price, easily serviced anywhere in the country for a reasonable price! Run, don't walk.
Topic Author
sambb

Post by sambb »

do you have the base or z51? why?
fund

Post by fund »

Don't own one, but have followed it on Car & Driver. I believe they had or have one on long term test. Performance is incredible, even in the base form. The Z06 package turns up the wick even more. Reliability, however, isn't perhaps quite where it should be. IIRC, C&D had a problem with the engine (I think the car lunched it) and it had to be replaced. Admittedly this was one of the first of the new C7 models. Chevy may have worked out the kinks by now. And by all accounts the C7s are far superior to the C6s in terms of sophistication and fit and finish. Coincidentally I happened to have sat in one last weekend. Pretty comfortable. But it is a long and low car, so it's a different feel than the quintessential BH Accord or Camry feel (goes without saying!). For roughly the same price a Porsche Boxster or Cayman is another option. Reliability and fit and finish will/should be better with the Porsche. And for something even funkier and in the same price range, have a look at the Alfa Romeo 4C (don't know about their reliability or fit and finish, but it's for certain a relatively rare car in the wild).
Pharmacist

Post by Pharmacist »

My friend has the 2016 Z06 and loves it.
jdb

Post by jdb »

A friend bought new one about 6 months ago. Loves the performance. But is planning to trade it in, his lower back starting to hurt from the low entry and exit, specially getting out, and ride on long term basis getting too harsh for his back. And he is an orthopedic surgeon so has some knowledge of issue. Have heard same from friend with 911, loved the performance but traded in after couple years since became literally a pain in lower back. Both guys by way were over 50 when bought cars, that might be a factor, these may be cars for younger guys. But both were sad to have to trade them in, had to give priority to their spine. Suggest you might want to do careful test drive.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The low entry/exit and seating position conflicts with the target demographic (old white guys with money). That doesn't stop many of them though. The few I've sat in have a few cheapo plastic bits from the GM parts box but are a big improvement over previous generations.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

jdb wrote:... these may be cars for younger guys. ...
Average age for a new Corvette buyer is 59.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I had an older Stingray convertible and loved it. I had to sell when the kids started coming. I was looking at the new ones, at the yearly car show, but when I tried to climb in and out I realized I wasn't 22 anymore. :o
Gill

Post by Gill »

Agree on the difficulty of getting in and out, at least for those of us who have been around a while. I had a '65 Corvette and my wife had an '85 before we met. In 2013 we got the idea to relive those days and bought a new 2013 base model. It is a great car and my wife loves driving it, but I find it a bit difficult to get in and out of it. I think if my wife didn't enjoy it so much I'd sell it.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Have you considered cross shopping a '16+ Camaro SS? 95% of the performance, ~66% of the price and a bit more practicality and comfort. Trust me in that they are far from the oxcarts of years past.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

sambb wrote:I am mostly a german/japanese car person, but wanting your opinion on this 2014-7 corvette, as far as performance and reliability, for one of my colleagues.
Are those all that matter to your colleague? Does the driving experience not matter? If it does matter then what is your friend specifically looking for from a sports car?
midareff

Post by midareff »

Unless you are really in love with American Iron there are quite a few sedans and coupes that are super comfortable and go very fast. Anything from Mercedes with an AMG 63 or 63S designation is monster fast and very comfortable as is Audi's RS series. I imagine anything from BMW with an M after it is likewise as is some Infinity and other brands performance branch. At 68 my sports cars days are long gone.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

munemaker wrote:
jdb wrote:... these may be cars for younger guys. ...
Average age for a new Corvette buyer is 59.
Base MSRP for a new Corvette is $55K +

Not many 20-30 year olds with that kind of cash.

I got rid of my two seater when my son entered our lives at 31.
I'll be an empty nester next year at 59, and my wife would like one,
but I like my much nicer riding "old man's" car.

I remember my '67 Camaro Rally Sport back when my wife and I were dating.
I dropped a 327 with a 4 barrel Holly Carb in it. Great acceleration and decent top end.
She liked it, but it rode like a cattle truck.
Can't imagine riding very far in something like that anymore.
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

jdb wrote:A friend bought new one about 6 months ago. Loves the performance. But is planning to trade it in, his lower back starting to hurt from the low entry and exit, specially getting out, and ride on long term basis getting too harsh for his back. And he is an orthopedic surgeon so has some knowledge of issue. Have heard same from friend with 911, loved the performance but traded in after couple years since became literally a pain in lower back. Both guys by way were over 50 when bought cars, that might be a factor, these may be cars for younger guys. But both were sad to have to trade them in, had to give priority to their spine. Suggest you might want to do careful test drive.

I have lower back problems (disk surgery a year ago) and own a BMW Z4. Definitely can be a rough (but really fun! :happy ) ride. I bought a special seat cushion that is popular with truck drivers and it solved the problem for me. I don't think I could have kept the car otherwise.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

midareff wrote:Unless you are really in love with American Iron there are quite a few sedans and coupes that are super comfortable and go very fast. Anything from Mercedes with an AMG 63 or 63S designation is monster fast and very comfortable as is Audi's RS series. I imagine anything from BMW with an M after it is likewise as is some Infinity and other brands performance branch. At 68 my sports cars days are long gone.
I've met guys in their 80s still driving race cars. You are only as old as you decide you are.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

alfaspider wrote:
midareff wrote:Unless you are really in love with American Iron there are quite a few sedans and coupes that are super comfortable and go very fast. Anything from Mercedes with an AMG 63 or 63S designation is monster fast and very comfortable as is Audi's RS series. I imagine anything from BMW with an M after it is likewise as is some Infinity and other brands performance branch. At 68 my sports cars days are long gone.
I've met guys in their 80s still driving race cars. You are only as old as you decide you are.
Your comment reminded me of this recent story about 80 year old - stunt driver Bob Riggle rolling the 2,500 hp Hemi Under Glass with Jay Leno riding shotgun! I guess Bob is not bothered by lower back aches. The whole thing was captured on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Ky4em9QZs
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/27/watch-ja ... -show.html
http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-ja ... -race-car/
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2689671

I remember assembling a scale model of that car as a child.
Topic Author
sambb

Post by sambb »

takeshi wrote:
sambb wrote:I am mostly a german/japanese car person, but wanting your opinion on this 2014-7 corvette, as far as performance and reliability, for one of my colleagues.
Are those all that matter to your colleague? Does the driving experience not matter? If it does matter then what is your friend specifically looking for from a sports car?
My colleague has owned all sorts of cars, and even supercars. He was impressed with the corvette.
I have owned several german sports cars and a few italian, and that is why he asked my opinion.
On paper, the stingray looks like quite the value compared to the european sports cars I have owned.
My colleague looked at a "Z" verison and the base, and liked the "base" better - I guess it also has a "targa" style top.
Overall, there are far worse ways to spend 65k, but i dont know if a corvette has a certain image. I am not familiar enough to advise my colleague.
I doubt the car depreciates at the absolute amount of a 130k 911 or a 120k aston. I told him to go for it, I think it is a value for people who want to have supercar performance.

On a second note, I am surprised by the # of particpants commenting on their back ailments - interesting.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I had the previous generation and liked it, especially as a GT car. My wife and I traveled all over the U.S. in it. Those were the years of very high gasoline prices and when I told people that I was getting 30+ mpg on the highway at 75 mph I think they thought I was kidding. There was enough storage space the with a little judicious packing we could carry luggage for 2 weeks to a month of luggage plus two sunday (golf) bags. Unlike some others who have commented here, it was also very comfortable for very long distances for both me and my wife.

The downsides were awkward entry and particularly exit as others have mentioned, a fairly cheap interior for the price of the car (which I understand has been rectified somewhat), more than average service recalls and, quite honestly, I got tired of seeing only guys like me driving them. I moved on to more of a muscle car which is appreciated and afforded by a more varied demographic.

I enjoyed having my 'Vette but wouldn't buy another. My wife loved it and may never forgive me for selling it.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
naha66

Post by naha66 »

Porsche and reliability don't belong in same thought. Speaking as a owner of 914, 911 and everything between them, they have had major issues thru the years. Check out the below link. You can't touch the vette performance with a Porsche for same cost and don't ask about maintence cost, but they are fun to drive.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... ilures.htm
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

As much as I want to like this generation, I cant get over the fact that the rear end looks like they ran out of time and took pages from the Camaro design.
tacster

Post by tacster »

navyasw02 wrote:As much as I want to like this generation, I cant get over the fact that the rear end looks like they ran out of time and took pages from the Camaro design.
Agree with you on the rear end. If they had used the C6 rear, imo the car would look dead perfect: http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/ ... 4612_1.jpg

That said, I'm still seriously thinking about buying one. :happy
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Not my kind of car because of size and cost, but FWIW: CR rates the 2016 as one of the least reliable cars (178% worse than average) - but with an outstanding road test score and the highest satisfaction rating among sports car owners. I guess if you are willing to pay $60K for a sports car, all those repair costs don't matter.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

NHRATA01 wrote:Have you considered cross shopping a '16+ Camaro SS? 95% of the performance, ~66% of the price and a bit more practicality and comfort. Trust me in that they are far from the oxcarts of years past.
Agreed. I'm actually surprised GM allows the Camaro to be so competitive with the Corvette. Pick your favorite flavor - SS, Z28, ZL1. Not only is it cheaper, but you're not sitting on the ground. Granted the vette will be faster in the corners.
Possibly, but make sure you're comparing apples to apples. M5, RS7/R8, AMG S series are in a different price class and you're getting dangerously close to entry level exotic territory.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

killjoy2012 wrote:[quote="NHRATA01"
Possibly, but make sure you're comparing apples to apples. M5, RS7/R8, AMG S series are in a different price class and you're getting dangerously close to entry level exotic territory.
Yep, those vehicles are very nearly twice the price (and literally are with options). My brother drives an AMG E63, window sticker says $114k. Compare the Audi, MB, BMW offering in the $60-$65k range; nowhere near the performance of the corvette. I'll echo a previous comment, the new camaro offers 98% of the performance for 80% of the cost and might be easier to live with day-to-day.
midareff

Post by midareff »

alfaspider wrote:

and then there are guys who have metal hips, lots of metal clips in their cervical spine and are bone on bone in other somewhat crucial areas who prefer their 3.8 second 0-60 180 mph top end monster with ten way seats, cold air-conditioning and a premium stereo you can hear. We weren't all dealt the same hand or I'd still be racing Porsche's.
midareff

Post by midareff »

killjoy2012 wrote:
NHRATA01 wrote:Have you considered cross shopping a '16+ Camaro SS? 95% of the performance, ~66% of the price and a bit more practicality and comfort. Trust me in that they are far from the oxcarts of years past.
Agreed. I'm actually surprised GM allows the Camaro to be so competitive with the Corvette. Pick your favorite flavor - SS, Z28, ZL1. Not only is it cheaper, but you're not sitting on the ground. Granted the vette will be faster in the corners.

TYup.. but at the end of the day it's still not a used Chevvy.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

If you're buying a car to impress someone, buy the $80K M4.

If you're buying a car for performance, buy the $45K SS...which beat the M4 on a track.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrole ... camaro-ss/

“Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write,” boss man Angus MacKenzie wrote at the time. “The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series.”
midareff

Post by midareff »

NHRATA01 wrote:
midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

If you're buying a car for performance, buy the $45K SS...which beat the M4 on a track.

“Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write,” boss man Angus MacKenzie wrote at the time. “The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series.”

They are no longer a class apart from the "competition" as 40 years ago when the BMW 2002 series was without peer. and I am not particularly an M fan anyway. and BTW... as long as we are quoting from the article... "We had Randy Pobst lap each around the Streets of Willow: 1:22.94 for the BMW, 1:23.15 for the Chevy." so I guess it doesn't beat the M4 on the track, now does it? 3 liter 6 cylinder vs. 6.2 liter V 8.. now that's head up.
Seems they both run SCCA FS as well except the car to have in that class is the M3/4 if you want to contend.
Last edited by midareff on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

midareff wrote:
NHRATA01 wrote:
midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

They are no longer a class apart from the "competition" as 40 years ago when the BMW 2002 series was without peer. and I am not particularly an M fan anyway.
So, what point are you trying to make? MB, Audi, Jaguar...they don't have anything that can compete for anywhere near the pricepoint either. At least right now, from a performance standpoint, a Corvette (or camaro or mustang) doesn't really have a German rival.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

To the OP.

The most important thing I learned through my Corvette ownership is.....never buy a new one!

This is even more the case with a Corvette than most other vehicles because many Corvettes are coddled and babied - for example driven very few miles, never driven in the rain, always garaged, always hand-washed, etc. It doesn't take a lot of looking to find one of these as good as new 'Vettes just waiting to save you a ton of money. They often even include a transferrable extended warranty that the original owner has purchased. The first place to look is the Corvette Forum online in the C7 for sale section.

If you insist on going the new route check the same forum for volume dealers around the country that discount Corvettes (rather than trying to charge premiums).

Good luck!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

NHRATA01 wrote:
midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

Personal preference item. I've sat in the Camaro- felt like I was inside of a tank peering through tiny portholes. I know they are a performance bargain, but I couldn't enjoy driving something that claustrophobic.

If you primarily care about track performance, neither is going to be your best bet. You want something that has been purpose built for the task.
midareff

Post by midareff »

stoptothink wrote:
midareff wrote:
NHRATA01 wrote:
midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

They are no longer a class apart from the "competition" as 40 years ago when the BMW 2002 series was without peer. and I am not particularly an M fan anyway.

So, what point are you trying to make? MB, Audi, Jaguar...they don't have anything that can compete for anywhere near the pricepoint either. At least right now, from a performance standpoint, a Corvette (or camaro or mustang) doesn't really have a German rival.
Load up a vette and load up say an AMG C63S Coupe... both high 80's... so I don't see your point. ANyone can compare a strip out to a loaded luxo ride.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

midareff wrote:
stoptothink wrote:So, what point are you trying to make? MB, Audi, Jaguar...they don't have anything that can compete for anywhere near the pricepoint either. At least right now, from a performance standpoint, a Corvette (or camaro or mustang) doesn't really have a German rival.
Load up a vette and load up say an AMG C63S Coupe... both high 80's... so I don't see your point. ANyone can compare a strip out to a loaded luxo ride.
You can get a new base vette for $45-48k, the cheapest new C63 I found on cars.com and autotrader was $68k. $20k+ is a heck of a cost difference.

If you want to compare a Z06 (which can be found new ~$70k) and c63 performance-wise go right ahead, they actually share a similar pricepoint. Or you could compare the AMG to its actual competitor, the Cadillac v-series which seems to be holding its own (if not beating) the Germans at their own game of super-performance sedans recently - at least from the performance standpoint. There are some pretty good domestic vehicles nowadays.

As to the OP, I have never owned a corvette, but I have sat passenger in a friend's '15 over a dozen times. Probably not something I'd consider, but the performance at that pricepoint is pretty staggering (as in, useless on the street).
midareff

Post by midareff »

stoptothink wrote:
midareff wrote:
stoptothink wrote:So, what point are you trying to make? MB, Audi, Jaguar...they don't have anything that can compete for anywhere near the pricepoint either. At least right now, from a performance standpoint, a Corvette (or camaro or mustang) doesn't really have a German rival.
You can get a new base vette for $45-48k, the cheapest new C63 I found on cars.com and autotrader was $68k. $20k+ is a heck of a cost difference.
except the C63 is loaded by AMG and is not a base vehicle as typically found.

If you want to compare a Z06 (which can be found new ~$70k) and c63 performance-wise go right ahead, they actually share a similar pricepoint. Or you could compare the AMG to its actual competitor, the Cadillac v-series which seems to be holding its own (if not beating) the Germans at their own game of super-performance sedans recently - at least from the performance standpoint. There are some pretty good domestic vehicles nowadays.
I would not compare a plastic sports car with a sedan or coupe... that makes no sense. As far as the reviews where they placed the M against the C63 and against the Caddy in a three way the reviewers picked the MB as the one they would pick for themselves. That has to tell me something.

As to the OP, I have never owned a corvette, but I have sat passenger in a friend's '15 over a dozen times. Probably not something I'd consider, but the performance at that pricepoint is pretty staggering (as in, useless on the street).
I wouldn't consider the Vette either and have driven them, and competitively driven against them when I was still racing Porsches. All of it becomes a moot point since we know we need well over 400 horsepower and a sub 4 second 0-60 time to sit in rush hour traffic going 5 mph :-) .
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

[quote="FrugalInvestor"]To the OP.

The most important thing I learned through my Corvette ownership is.....never buy a new one!

Au contrare-- I bot a new Corvette in 2007 and still have it 9 years later. Is an only car and use as daily driver and annual round trips from MN to FL. Wonderful as a long distance traveler but increasingly difficult to enter and exit.

Probably worth about half what I paid for nine years ago and would buy another except I don't like the C7 Corvette i.e. the taillights :-)
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
squirm

Post by squirm »

Personal preference item. I've sat in the Camaro- felt like I was inside of a tank peering through tiny portholes. I know they are a performance bargain, but I couldn't enjoy driving something that claustrophobic.
Rented a Camaro while on a trip. Before even leaving the rental car parking lot, I knew it was going to a pain to see out of (I'm 6'4") and drive. Turned around and rented a different car. Back in my youth I loved the f-bodies. Nowadays, I salivate for all electric Tesla. I don't care for performance anymore, I just want to get from point A to point B without gas.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Kurmudjon wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:To the OP.

Au contrare-- I bot a new Corvette in 2007 and still have it 9 years later. Is an only car and use as daily driver and annual round trips from MN to FL. Wonderful as a long distance traveler but increasingly difficult to enter and exit.

Probably worth about half what I paid for nine years ago and would buy another except I don't like the C7 Corvette i.e. the taillights :-)
I don't think you read all of my post. I also purchased a new Corvette and enjoyed it very much. My point was that I could have purchased one that was a very few years old but literally as good as new - due to the TLC received by most Corvettes - for a substantial discount and enjoyed it just as much. If I were to ever purchase another it would be used from an original owner who had babied it.
middlemarch

Post by middlemarch »

I have a C5 (1999 owned since new) and am shopping for a C7. I believe that an American man should own a Corvette at least once in his life :-) It is an experience, sort of like joining a club. I can''t tell you how I love driving the car and how many conversations I've had with people about their Corvettes. That being said, it's a emotional decision not really financial... Although my car, bought new in 1999, has been trouble free, given me great joy, and because I have kept it so long, has been financially kind to me. Also on the finance side, depreciation is very favorable on the Corvette, and Consumer Reports list customer satisfaction as the highest of any car. I love it!
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 pm To the OP.

This is even more the case with a Corvette than most other vehicles because many Corvettes are coddled and babied - for example driven very few miles, never driven in the rain, always garaged, always hand-washed, etc. It doesn't take a lot of looking to find one of these as good as new 'Vettes just waiting to save you a ton of money. They often even include a transferrable extended warranty that the original owner has purchased. The first place to look is the Corvette Forum online in the C7 for sale section.

If you insist on going the new route check the same forum for volume dealers around the country that discount Corvettes (rather than trying to charge premiums).

Good luck!
I will second this advice. I bought a 2016 Z51 Vette with 3,000 miles on it 3 months ago. It was owned by the General Manager of the car dealership, "never driven in the rain or winter," and hand washed regularly at the dealership. I got $17,000 off the original sticker with remaining warranty and service. It was perfect without a ding or scratch on it.

I love the car! I had a 4 year old Mercedes E350 Coupe that originally cost more than what I paid for the Vette. The MB was a wonderful car, but I did not smile when I punched the accelerator. This car is fun!
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

midareff wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 pm
NHRATA01 wrote:
midareff wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

And that means?

They are no longer a class apart from the "competition" as 40 years ago when the BMW 2002 series was without peer. and I am not particularly an M fan anyway. and BTW... as long as we are quoting from the article... "We had Randy Pobst lap each around the Streets of Willow: 1:22.94 for the BMW, 1:23.15 for the Chevy." so I guess it doesn't beat the M4 on the track, now does it? 3 liter 6 cylinder vs. 6.2 liter V 8.. now that's head up.
Seems they both run SCCA FS as well except the car to have in that class is the M3/4 if you want to contend.
I love the track comparos with 4000lb sleds. "Throw 500hp in her and she will be fun on track!". Give me a BMW 2002 any day of the week. More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow as they say.

Also, comparing ANYTHING on Michilin SS vs Eagle F1 RF on a road course should be outlawed for flawed comparison right from the get go.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
midareff

Post by midareff »

“Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write,” boss man Angus MacKenzie wrote at the time. “The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series.”[/quote]

[/quote]

I love the track comparos with 4000lb sleds. "Throw 500hp in her and she will be fun on track!". Give me a BMW 2002 any day of the week. More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow as they say.

Also, comparing ANYTHING on Michilin SS vs Eagle F1 RF on a road course should be outlawed for flawed comparison right from the get go.
[/quote]

FWIW, test drove an M4 and was not impressed with it, especially the interior for it's price class. Still remember helping a friend put side draft Webers on his 2002. My 1967 Austin Cooper 1275 S smoked it at an autocross, and my (much later) Toyota MR2 would have as well. .. not to mention a couple of P car Boxsters. You are right though.. the 2002 is a slow sedan by today's' standards.

Comparing the named Michelin SS rated Max Performance vs. the Eagle rated Extreme Performance seems fair enough to me. What's your issue with it? and FWIW the Sport 4S is top dog now ahead of the SS.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

jdb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:59 am these may be cars for younger guys.
There is literally no car in existence that is more of an old man car than a Corvette.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Halicar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 am
There is literally no car in existence that is more of an old man car than a Corvette.
I have owned 11 corvettes over the years and only two since I was 55 or older.
If you do not like them that is fine - but they are really fun and a very capable car.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

smitcat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 am
I have owned 11 corvettes over the years and only two since I was 55 or older.
If you do not like them that is fine - but they are really fun and a very capable car.
I have nothing against them--it's just a fact that the average age of Corvette buyers is comparable to those of the Buick Park Ave. and Lincoln Continental, and no one would call those "cars for younger guys."
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

No, I'd say the Cadillac Brougham with the landau roof is the ultimate old man car.

I've seen plenty of young guys with corvettes, but I've never seen someone under 70 in one of these. The Deville is the more modern equivalent, though those occasionally get bought by a different demographic.
Jesa

Post by Jesa »

Jaguar F-Type.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 pm
You are only as old as your body thinks it is.

The chronic pain of a bad back has to be experienced to be believed. Psychologically, there is much one can do to help with chronic pain, but it still can be a real lifestyle limiter.

Other than not doing the obvious (drinking, smoking, overeating, eating high sugar foods or drinks) you are very much at the mercy of your gene pool-- your choice of ancestors.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Valuethinker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am
alfaspider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 pm
You are only as old as your body thinks it is.

The chronic pain of a bad back has to be experienced to be believed. Psychologically, there is much one can do to help with chronic pain, but it still can be a real lifestyle limiter.

Other than not doing the obvious (drinking, smoking, overeating, eating high sugar foods or drinks) you are very much at the mercy of your gene pool-- your choice of ancestors.
I don't deny there are people for whom the mind is willing but the body not. But I also see plenty of older folks who have just given up on things under the assumption they can't rather than the physical reality.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

alfaspider wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am
No, I'd say the Cadillac Brougham with the landau roof is the ultimate old man car.

I've seen plenty of young guys with corvettes, but I've never seen someone under 70 in one of these. The Deville is the more modern equivalent, though those occasionally get bought by a different demographic.
I think this is generational.

If your "old man" is my father (90) then you'd say it was the Cadillac.

If your "old man" is 73, and thus a Baby Boomer, then the Corvette is certainly possible.