Honeycomb shades for sliding glass doors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Honeycomb shades for sliding glass doors

Post by General Disarray » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 pm

I have four sliding glass doors in my home and I am seeking window treatment for them. I refuse to get vertical blinds, and I really prefer not to get curtains/drapes.

One sliding glass door is in the kitchen.
One sliding glass door is in the living room.
One sliding glass door is in the master bedroom.
One sliding glass door is in the second bedroom.

I am leaning towards getting honeycomb shades for all of them. I live in the northeast. Are honeycomb shades a bad idea or not for sliding glass doors? I would get one big one for each sliding glass door.

Re: Honeycomb shades for sliding glass doors

Post by 123 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 pm

I think drapes work best for sliding glass doors that are occasionally opened. But I can see that honeycomb shades give you control over the vertical instead of the horizontal.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 pm

They fulfill the basic functions, keeping heat in, light and eyeballs out. A large solid color area is a fairly austere aesthetic but that's a matter of taste. The only thing to check is the thickness of the shades when open. If you mount them inside the opening they might not retract far enough to be completely clear of the door.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Family members have white Hunter Douglas Vertiglides - the vertical honeycomb shades - on all their sliding glass doors. They're wonderful, easy to open and close, when closed they give privacy but do not keep out light so you don't feel "closed-in" in family, kitchen and living rooms (they do keep out afternoon sun), zero repairs or maintenance, cleaned with the soft brush attachment of a vacuum. They're good for smaller areas because when open they nest on one side of the sliding door as a very narrow compact area and don't cover the window and obstruct the view. However, since they don't keep out light like a PVC vertical or a dark color vertical would, for a bedroom you might need some guidance as to color or material.

The Vertiglides are still in perfect shape after 10-12 years (and several dogs and kids). Very expensive, but good quality with very nice features.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:33 pm

I have shades mounted on the outer frame, not the inner frame, of sliding glass doors. They work well except as noted in another post they are a fail at keeping enough sun out to keep the temperature down currently. But I assume a different type of shade would work fine. I'm looking into that.

There is one shade for each side of the door pair.