is this wise? purchasing honda cbr 250r

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
buccimane

is this wise? purchasing honda cbr 250r

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Disclaimer: I am not interested in hearing the cons of riding a motorcycle, purely looking for financial/brand advice

Hello all-

I am currently in the market for a beginner motorcycle, so naturally I read all of the boglehead threads on motorcycles, and am still looking for more input. The largest concern is the financial aspect of owning a motorcycle.

For background, my friend owns a honda cbr 250r that I have rode a couple of times. Next week I will be getting my permit, and I have two options from there
1. continue to ride his bike when allowed until I purchase my own (I want to ride with him/ to and from close places)
2. purchase my own outright

I am a recent graduate and have minimal savings, however am contributing max to employer 401(k). I am currently looking to purchase a honda cbr 250r ABS for around $2700.

**said friend has an extra helmet/jacket/gloves, all high quality that he would "give" me (he wants me to be able to ride with him)

I still live with the parents, so the living expenses are extremely minimal and I have a secure job. I know it goes against reasonable thinking on this thread, but I am thinking about spending a significant portion of my "emergency fund" cash, leaving nearly only investments left in my portfolio. I have a reliable car that is completely paid off to drive to and from work.

Is it completely unreasonable to spend a large amount of cash on a "hobby" at the age of 22? (I have read that beginner bikes hold value quite well, so resale to regain a large portion of the initial price seems probable)
What are you opinions on starting with a 250cc? The group of riders I would be with all have 250cc and ride very responsibly (ATGATT)
Would financing the bike be a better option? ( currently have no credit, would need a co-signer, and when you finance you have to pay year round insurance, whereas if I bought outright I would garage in the winter and cancel insurance)

I don't plan on moving away from home on my current salary anyway, so I believe that now is the time to give this hobby a shot.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

coachz

Re: is this wise? purchasing honda cbr 250r

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:04 pm

Don't spend your emergency fund on anything except emergencies. Otherwise your parents end up being your emergency fund and that's not right.

Save up cash and buy the bike outright. I have a Honda 300 forza and they are a blast and your choice is a great bike. Be safe ! :sharebeer

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:07 pm

What I meant by emergency fund was simply my spending money from the first couple of paychecks I've received from working since graduation. There is no financial emergency that I would encounter at this point in my life, so it is merely my spending money.

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:09 pm

It's a good habit at any adult age to have 6 months to 1 year of cash (emergency fund) saved for all of the unknowns. I know you want the bike and most people on the internet only want reinforcement of their ideas (we all do) but having an emergency fund is job 1 imo. Then save up cash for the bike, buy it and rule the road. I ride on the back of my Forza and let my wife scooter me around the countryside.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:16 pm

I would make sure you can cancel insurance and still have the bike registered as operational.

I would also search around for insurance with both bike and vehicle. Triple A seemed to have the best rates for me with a vehicle and motorcycle. Full coverage. With your age, it will be pretty expensive I would assume so the 250cc motorcycle is a better choice.

Honestly, I would finance if you can get a good interest rate. But for 2700 it sounds like your buying used? Financing will help build your credit but only so if you have a good interest rate.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:20 pm

If you are maxing 401k at 22, you are in a good place. As a tangential point, considered a Roth IRA? Regardless, it's not a crazy financial proposition to get a motorcycle.

I would only pay cash for it. Also, calculate insurance $$$ and money for decent gear that FITS. At 22, insurance won't be cheap. Maybe wait until have emergency fund built up a little more? Are parents OK with toys while living at home?

A CBR250 with abs is a pretty perfect starter bike, or bike to own for awhile. Take the MSF safety class, or similar, if you haven't already.

Also, know your maturity level. You sound like you have your head screwed on straight. Riding with friends can actually be more dangerous.

A final word. Chances are I am more athletic than you. State titles in high school, voted best freshmen athlete among all sports in college, set program records, etc... I also ride normal bicycles a lot too (including fixed gear)... so good balance on two wheels. You know what? I dropped my motorcycle in a very low speed turn a year into owning it. In first month of riding it, I also had a couple close calls when things hadn't yet become habit. I remember reading posts online where everyone says you'll drop a bike and thinking that while i should be cautious, these might just be the uncoordinated people who were at my MSF course and took forever to catch on. At any rate, I say the 'bragging' stuff above with the hope you'll realize no one is immune, and ride safe. Wear gear, and don't get ahead of yourself.
Last edited by blastoff on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qui

Post by qui » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:24 pm

ruppel93 wrote: Is it completely unreasonable to spend a large amount of cash on a "hobby" at the age of 22? (I have read that beginner bikes hold value quite well, so resale to regain a large portion of the initial price seems probable)
These bikes don't have far to fall, and there is significant churn in the market as people get bored with them and move on to bigger bikes.
What are you opinions on starting with a 250cc? The group of riders I would be with all have 250cc and ride very responsibly (ATGATT)
I think you will get very bored, very quickly. I'm very hesitant to suggest you start on a 600, but that's realistically where you will end up next year. Personally, being used to having power with a larger bike (I have a 600 now), the lack of power in the 250/300s make me very nervous.
Would financing the bike be a better option? ( currently have no credit, would need a co-signer, and when you finance you have to pay year round insurance, whereas if I bought outright I would garage in the winter and cancel insurance)
I would not finance a motorcycle. Have you looked at insurance quotes for full coverage? When I was 22 the insurance companies wanted about $4,200 to cover my $3,700 bike...

For a first bike, I would suggest you pay cash for a used bike which has some scratches. Also, budget a substantial amount for good gear that fits well. Do not skimp on your gear. Riding with a group pushes everyone to ride harder, and you're going to want that gear if/when you crash.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Also, I live where it snows. My understanding is that this fact is already baked into the insurance rate. I think you can alter insurance slightlyh in winter, but it's not as if you can only pay the quoted rate for 2 months...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm

The Honda is fine. I had considered a Ninja 250 a while back. Don't expect the value to hold up with a new bike. Back when gas skyrocketed to $3 ($4 in CA), Ninja 250's were selling used for more than new and new ones were on back order. Now that gas is close to free, these bikes have dropped dramatically used and you can walk in and buy 10 new ones off the floor at any dealer.

Will you get bored? I don't think I'd assume so. A friend of mine bought a Ninja 250 during the $3 gas days. he decided that he wanted to upgrade and went to a Ninja 650. He lives in town (Boston) and found that the 250 was far more fun because it was lots more nimble and you can whine the thing out in normal city roads where to do the same with the 650, you'd be doing 90.

The 250 will be phenominal with gas. I would also recommend doing the MSF course. I've had several dirt bikes and wanted to be able to rent a Harley so did the course to get my license. It's a great course and gives you plenty of riding experience. Even if you've ridden forever, you'll learn something that could save your life. I will never forget....when coming to a stop, downshift 13 times. This guarantees that you're in 1st and ready to go in case the car behind you doesn't stop.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:40 pm

I estimate that I've ridden north of 30 motorcycles in my life. Everything from 50cc kids bikes to trikes. I just stepped off a harley I've owned for 12 years 10 minutes ago.

My advice is the bike you are considering is a level below a starter bike. It's a high revving single and the noise, vibration, and harshness will get old before you have a chance to scratch the paint. It just barely has something resembling power. Get something with significantly larger engine, at least twice as large. I consider 750 cc the sweet spot for a starter bike. You'll be happy with a 750 for years, instead of a week.

Used bikes are fine, or just wait until you can get a bike that will sustain you for a while.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 pm

ruppel93 wrote: What are you opinions on starting with a 250cc? The group of riders I would be with all have 250cc and ride very responsibly (ATGATT)
Don't get a 250cc bike - it will feel like a moped in a month and you will want something bigger. If it was me, I'd keep learning and get my permit using your buddies bike then buy a 600cc sports bike if that's your thing OR a 1200cc Harley.

I vote the latter because...

1) I used to ride a Harley and they are just plain cool
2) louder so others hear you
3) slower at about 130mph MAX vs 180mph on a sport bike and YOU WILL GET UP THERE
4) less inclined to wheelie, edno, etc.

I wouldn't be concerned about spending a large sum of cash on a hobby. It's transportation. In my state, I got HOV access on the interstate, college parking permit was like $18 vs $150 for a car and the parking was on the lower level of the parking garages. Plus, you can always find a deal if you wait for it.

Insurance is cheap - mine was like $30/month for liability on a brand new Harley. Don't cancel it as you will want to ride in the winter on a nice sunny day.

Do it - get it out of your system before you have kids and be safe! I had a good friend around you age buy a bike and wound up dead less than a month later. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off by drives not paying attention!

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Going back to me saying to finance, if your buying used I would not finance.

I would still stick to a 250cc, How long is your commute and how far would your friends group ride? I bought a 600cc motorcycle when I was 21, although I felt I was very mature for my age. I had many close calls though, when I moved to CA with the crazy traffic and group rides with hundreds of motorcycles on the roads, I sold it. My friend crashed in a big group because he was trying to keep up with a faster guy with a 1000cc bike.

My biggest advice with whatever bike you get, keep your ego in check on group rides.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 pm

ddurrett896 wrote: Insurance is cheap - mine was like $30/month for liability on a brand new Harley. Don't cancel it as you will want to ride in the winter on a nice sunny day.
How old were you? The cheapest insurance I had was at 27 and it was 500 a year with a clean record. That was the cheapest insurer I found. Most wanted over 100 bucks a month.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:53 pm

N10sive wrote: How long is your commute and how far would your friends group ride?
my commute is 45min on a VERY congested roadway, never seen a motorcycle on it, don't plan on being the first.

my friend group rides about 40-50 miles on back roads. I have been told to stay away from 250cc as they tend to get boring, however if I go up in cc's it also appears I go up in $$, making it even more of a commitment rather than a hobby- which to clarify it will be a hobby. all of my mandatory distance driving is on the NJ parkway- which for anyone who knows the area is a complete nightmare.

I may be wrong about higher cc = higher price, but if anyone knows any bike near 600 for the same price point I'd be very interested.

I'm also looking at liability insurance not collision, so that price point should remain low

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:57 pm

250 will easily go 70mph and you don't need to go faster than that so it should give you a lot of fun. if the others are going faster than that, ask them were they are going to stop and meet there. Backroads are WAY safer too. It's all I ride.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 pm

N10sive wrote: But for 2700 it sounds like your buying used? Financing will help build your credit but only so if you have a good interest rate.
The bike in question is used, and is reported to have been dropped in driveway by new rider- so it does have minor scratches.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Enjoy the 250. One well-worn saying you may not have heard is "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." Insurance and maintenance will be cheaper too, especially when you drop it and have to replace a mirror, grip, and/or foot peg. :wink:
“Some depart to remain.”

kite

Post by kite » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

OP: you can find a used bike for the same price as you're looking to spend and get a much more capable bike. You will outgrow a 250 quickly and they are tiny. It's hard keeping them at highway speeds, they're less stable in crosswinds, the pickup is not as peppy, etc... You will still feel very comfortable on a 500 or 750 and they're not so huge that they'll get away from you.

A used honda shadow or kawasaki vulcan is a perfect starter bike. They're reliable forever, they're small, and they have enough power to keep you out of danger. You can find used models for 3-4k easily.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:10 pm

A ninja 300, or something like an sv650 could be more power without a 600cc without race bike motor.

As many on here know, a 600cc gsxr is different than a 1200cc Harley.

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:12 pm

ruppel93 wrote:
N10sive wrote: But for 2700 it sounds like your buying used? Financing will help build your credit but only so if you have a good interest rate.
The bike in question is used, and is reported to have been dropped in driveway by new rider- so it does have minor scratches.
scratches add character.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Get a bike. If you want a 250 you should get a 250. But whatever you get for your first bike should be really inexpensive because there's a good chance it'll get dropped or you'll lay it down.

With that said you will get bored on a 250 really quickly. I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy a supersport yet but I would consider something bigger than a 250. Then again the 250 is cheap enough that you could sell it for not much of a loss and upgrade in a few months.

I've had a couple 600RRs, a Ducati 848 (incredibly overrated bike imo), and a Triumph Daytona 675 (this was an absolutely amazing machine).

Good luck and ride safe.

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

i'm not bored with my Honda Forza 300. It's a blast to ride and I'm sure the 250 is about the same. I think it depends how much adrenaline you require.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:48 pm

coachz wrote:i'm not bored with my Honda Forza 300. It's a blast to ride and I'm sure the 250 is about the same. I think it depends how much adrenaline you require.
Not much! Thanks for your input 8-)

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:50 pm

ruppel93 wrote:
coachz wrote:i'm not bored with my Honda Forza 300. It's a blast to ride and I'm sure the 250 is about the same. I think it depends how much adrenaline you require.
Not much! Thanks for your input 8-)
If it's not adrenaline you're seeking you might try to get some seat time on some other bikes before making a purchase. There are a lot of more comfortable bikes out there.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Like others have said, I'd save up. Since it's a hobby, I'd also look into getting something that needs repair for less so you can get it sooner, learn how to work on vehicles, and spend less.

coachz

Post by coachz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I have had a number of bikes in my 56 years. Started with a minibike, then Honda 50, then Vespa, then Honda Elsinore 125, then Penton (KTM) 175, then Honda 750 street bike, then Kawasaki KLR 650 enduro, then a Kymco Like 200i for scooter time and now the Honda Forza 300.

I think the 250 will be great for you and you can sell when you want a change. Enjoy the ride.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:04 pm

coachz wrote:I have had a number of bikes in my 56 years. Started with a minibike, then Honda 50, then Vespa, then Honda Elsinore 125, then Penton (KTM) 175, then Honda 750 street bike, then Kawasaki KLR 650 enduro, then a Kymco Like 200i for scooter time and now the Honda Forza 300.

I think the 250 will be great for you and you can sell when you want a change. Enjoy the ride.
I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I fully support you getting a bike and I think that you should get whatever you want and whatever makes you happy.

In your first year of riding you are about to learn so much. Not just in riding skills but about bikes, gear, the road, and even people. If you come back and visit this thread in a year you will probably have a very different opinion of everything than you do now. Or you won't.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:21 pm

N10sive wrote: How old were you? The cheapest insurance I had was at 27 and it was 500 a year with a clean record. That was the cheapest insurer I found. Most wanted over 100 bucks a month.
22 years old
2008 Harley Nightster (Brand New)
State Farm liability only.
Record isn't bad, but isn't great!

I think liability is the key. My thought at the time was...

Not worried about it being stolen. If I had a small wreck, I can fix myself. If I had a bad accident, I was probably dead.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Yes, get a bike. Yes take MSF beginner to get your permit then IMMEDIATELY take the advanced rider course with YOUR bike ASAP. Yes ATGATT including a NEW helmet, never use a used helmet as even minor drops can over time compromise safety. 250cc is fine for a first bike, so is a bike like GS 500 or SV650. A 600cc supersport, while it was my first bike around your age, is overkill and almost got me in trouble a few times.

IMO, while the ninja 250 looks cool, spending money on looks on a 250 and your first bike is a waste. If you're getting a learning bike, drop a grand on a rebel or some other naked 250.

:sharebeer
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:59 pm

It is not wise, but motorcycles are fun!

Be safe :?

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Get a Grom and keep it when you get your next bigger bike.

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:26 pm

A very, very good bike might be a Honda GT650 Hawk. It is not overly powerful, had high quality suspension and handling, and you will not be bored anytime soon. You should be able to find a nice used one for under $3000 US dollars.

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Get what YOU want. The "you'll grow out it in a week" is kind of an American thing- bigger is better. Not necessarily true. I rode my 250 Honda Reflex (scooter) 151 miles today out into the country. 55 mph is the fastest I went (that was the highest speed limit I encountered) and I had a great time. Riding a slow bike fast is much more fun and challenging than riding a fast bike slow. Stupid saying, but it does have some truth to it. Just be sure you want to ride for YOU and not for your friend. There are so many good books out there about riding that can help you make an informed decision. Take your time- Hondas- really any of the Japanese bikes will be fine.

Bob

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:30 pm

ScooterBob wrote:Get what YOU want. The "you'll grow out it in a week" is kind of an American thing- bigger is better. Not necessarily true. I rode my 250 Honda Reflex (scooter) 151 miles today out into the country. 55 mph is the fastest I went (that was the highest speed limit I encountered) and I had a great time. Riding a slow bike fast is much more fun and challenging than riding a fast bike slow. Stupid saying, but it does have some truth to it. Just be sure you want to ride for YOU and not for your friend. There are so many good books out there about riding that can help you make an informed decision. Take your time- Hondas- really any of the Japanese bikes will be fine.

Bob
I don't like being on the highway on a bike that doesn't have some power and speed.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:59 pm

My next bike will likely be a Harley Dyna Wide Glide and I've rented a number of Harleys from Arizona to Aruba. You'll hear the saying "loud pipes save lives". Just remember that nobody hears those pipes until you're past them, so don't rely on them helping you at all.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:06 pm

i had a bicycle with a lawnmower engine on it, a mini bike, a honda 50 step thru (in florida you could get a motorcycle license at 15; car was 16), and a "regular" honda 50. then i moved to cars. just telling you where i'm coming from.

my brother loved his bike -- don't recall what it was -- right up to the point when a car ran a stop sign when he was riding and killed him at 18 years old. this stuff doesn't always happen to the other guy.

good luck.

quaternion

Post by quaternion » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:26 pm

First, I concur with the suggestion to take an MSF riding course. It's a great introduction and will also take care of the licensing test for you.

250cc is perfect for a commuter. I rode a '95 Honda CB250 for most of grad school. Great around town, 70MPG, but not good for the highway. The CB250 was air-cooled and carbureted, so a liquid-cooled and fuel-injected bike like the CBR250 ought to feel peppier (though paper HP numbers for CB250 and CBR250 are about the same). A 600cc sport bike would be a bit much for a beginner, though ~750cc standards/cruisers might be OK.

I think $2700 is a bit on the expensive side for a (presumably used) starter bike. You /will/ drop your first bike. Don't spend so much that you will cry. Also, riding gear is cheaper than medical bills (and more comfortable than a hospital bed): helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants.

I would suggest you look around a little more and broaden your search to include some other models. Stick with the Japanese big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha), though; they're head and shoulders above the rest in reliability (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm). Motorcycle designs change more slowly than cars, so age is less important than condition. If you're set on a sport bike, the Kawasaki Ninja EX250 may be another good option. Check your insurance rates for different models, too.

Finally, if you live in a city, get a hardened security chain (e.g., Peerless, Pewag, Abus), and and lock the frame to an immovable object.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:52 pm

quaternion wrote:I think $2700 is a bit on the expensive side for a (presumably used) starter bike. You /will/ drop your first bike. Don't spend so much that you will cry. Also, riding gear is cheaper than medical bills (and more comfortable than a hospital bed): helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants.
The only bikes that are below the 2500-3000 range (for the most part) are 90's standards which I am not all that interested in. I can't (won't) base my purchasing decision on the fact that I "will" crash/drop it. Many other posters on this forum have stated they have not dropped their bike in 30 years. Accidents happen, yes, but I do not think it is a fair assessment to base a large decision on that.

As stated in my previous post, well fitting gear and high quality helmet are being afforded to me for no cost.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I think it is a fine choice. A lot of the people I know started out on one if they were sportbike inclined or, if not, started out on a midsize standard, a smaller Vulcan if they were of the cruiser mindset or a KLR if headed down the adventure track. You don't necessarily have to outgrow it either. I have a buddy who is a very experienced rider that has two Ninja 300s - one for street riding and one track bike. As many others have pointed out it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. In my area the small displacement sportbikes (250s and the newer 300s) are almost a risk free investment. So many MSF graduates want them for a first bike that you are almost guaranteed to get back almost your entire purchase price should you decide to sell it later.

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:40 pm

queso wrote:As many others have pointed out it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
I've owned a ZX11, CBR1100XX, RC51, and a ZX14R. I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.
Well, with the possible exception of the RC51 which was terrifying to ride at any speed.

linuxology

Post by linuxology » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Enjoy your life and buy the bike!!!

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 am

IFRider wrote:
queso wrote:As many others have pointed out it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
I've owned a ZX11, CBR1100XX, RC51, and a ZX14R. I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.
Well, with the possible exception of the RC51 which was terrifying to ride at any speed.
Different strokes for different folks. I hated putting around in rush hour traffic on my 1098 and 1199, but get them on the track and that's where the fun started. I'd rather have a Ninja 250 for commuting and general riding around town than a superbike, but maybe that's just me. The only time I enjoyed riding the really fast bikes was on the track. Even wide open twisty roads are scary due to road conditions, deer, other drivers and the police. :D

trinc

Post by trinc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

I raced motorcycles (club), helped with local group rides & mentor for new riders etc. etc. ( big supporter of Doc Wong & Keith Code )

although i do like the fact that the lower CC bikes are being updated, and to help with the quick turnover the displacement has increased to 300cc.
The hands down best beginner bike is the SV650. It's got a rock solid motor, no plastic and a huge catalog of aftermarket parts. It has enough power to entertain once your out of the local jurisdiction and very nimble around town.

Tim

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:21 am

If you have the itch scratch it...

I had the itch 8 yrs ago and dropped 10 grand on a new Harley - Sportster / Nightster. I rode it for 2 months and then traded it in for a bigger bike. The Sportster felt like a moped once I felt comfortable riding. The comments on that being a small bike have some merit.

I have since sold my motorcycle and bought a boat.

I am glad I scratched the itch.....
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:43 am

Start small and trade up over time so that the capabilities of rider match the capabilities of the bike. Some things really are easier to learn on a smaller, lighter bike.

I've ridden my brother's Ninja 250, taken the MSF class, bought a 500cc Suzuki, and now have a 1500cc cruiser (Suzuki C90), all purchased used. I've been riding off and on for about a decade, dropped multiple bikes (in parking lots!), and been rear-ended a couple times (by a school bus and an old lady leaving church). It has been amazing, and learning how to reduce risks on the motorcycle has made me a more conscientious driver in my SUV.

ljb1234

Post by ljb1234 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:47 am

Yes, get a bike. Yes take MSF beginner to get your permit then IMMEDIATELY take the advanced rider course with YOUR bike ASAP. Yes ATGATT including a NEW helmet, never use a used helmet as even minor drops can over time compromise safety. 250cc is fine for a first bike, so is a bike like GS 500 or SV650. A 600cc supersport, while it was my first bike around your age, is overkill and almost got me in trouble a few times.
Yes, take the MSF course!! I am much older than you and I just finished it. Well worth the time and the money. The tips and advice may well save your life.
Speed and/or alcohol are your enemy. Also careless drivers and cell phones. Stay safe.

regards

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:59 am

And don't wait like I did to take the ARC though. There's a big difference taking a riding class on the class bikes and taking it on YOUR bike
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

quaternion

Post by quaternion » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:57 pm

ruppel93 wrote:The only bikes that are below the 2500-3000 range (for the most part) are 90's standards which I am not all that interested in. I can't (won't) base my purchasing decision on the fact that I "will" crash/drop it. Many other posters on this forum have stated they have not dropped their bike in 30 years. Accidents happen, yes, but I do not think it is a fair assessment to base a large decision on that.
Of course you should get what you want (and can afford). Just remember that you don't have to keep the first bike forever.

Crashing may not be a certainty, but based on both anecdotes and statistics (http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/na ... 243879.htm), the risk for new riders is much higher.

Have fun, and be smart. :beer

Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Ruppel,

FWIW, after my son took the MC Safety Course (using their 250 CC bikes) he picked up one of these used - http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/ ... ltd-review for less than a $1000. Rode it for a couple of years before moving up to a Triumph Thruxton. The Vulcan is a very comfortable bike (I rode his as well), requires very little maintenance, & he sold it for more than he paid for it. And you might find others that interest you on this site.

When you're considering a bike, people love to regale you with horror stories. My bike (Triumph 900 Thunderbird) was totaled when a woman hit me from behind while I was stopped at a redlight - and I was the only vehicle on the road. I've taken 3 MC Safety courses & 2 Keith Code Superbike classes. Wear ATGATT, my MC jacket was red. I'm 6'2", (taller with my white helmet), sitting upright - hard to miss (and she didn't). Long way of saying in spite of my taking every precaution to stay healthy, do-do happens. It sounds as if you accept the risk. MC riding is an exhilarating experience and I would strongly encourage you to get on the track. It will definitely accelerate (pardon the pun) your learning curve. I quit riding at age 70 because my reflexes weren't where they should be. Just remember, keep the rubber side down & the shiny side up!

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Myopic squirrel wrote:
When you're considering a bike, people love to regale you with horror stories.
horror stories are anecdotal.

the cold hard facts are that for a given number of miles, compared to a car motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to be involved in a fatality.