Track Lighting Fixture for Kitchen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Track Lighting Fixture for Kitchen

Post by General Disarray » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:09 am

Just as another poster is doing in another thread, I also am moving into a unit that has insufficient lighting. In the two bedrooms and living room, there is no built-in ceiling lights whatsoever, so plug-in floor or table lamps must be used. In the kitchen and dining area, there is only a single ceiling pendant light.

I was thinking of replacing the single ceiling pendant light with a six-bulb semi-flush track lighting system, but wondered if it would be enough light.

The tracking lighting system I plan to get is this:

http://www.wayfairsupply.com/Core-4-Lig ... e=hotdeals

Do you think this is enough light for the kitchen? This is LED lighting with 6 bulbs (32W).

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: Track Lighting Fixture for Kitchen

Post by General Disarray » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:58 am

Forgot to include a detail: The kitchen is 14 x 12.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:48 am

I would say no for a number of reasons.
  • It's 1800 lumens. A 100W incandescent light bulb is 1600 lm. IMHO 1 1/8 100W light bulb is not enough for a kitchen.
  • I can't see if these are spots or wide angle, but I'd guess they are fairly narrow. If so it may be difficult to get uniform light.
  • The lights are in a line. If you are standing in the plane of axis there will be a shadow in front of you. Careful light placement could help here.
Anyway those are things to check.

I'd want at least two of those, mounted parallel and about six foot apart. I'd prefer something with replaceable bulbs so I could play around with various types of wide/spot lights to get light where I need it. (For example a flood pointed straight down for general illumination).
Last edited by Epsilon Delta on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:57 am

I installed track lighting in my kitchen. Mine is curved and has 9 bulbs including two hanging pendants. It isn't the only light in the kitchen as there is also a florescent light and a light over the stove. The track light illuminates areas of the kitchen not covered by the others, like the pantry. It isn't as bright as the florescent light but it sounds like it would probably give more light than what you already have. The nice thing about them is you can aim them at the areas you want. I installed the two hanging pendants over a kitchen island and they provide plenty of light when working on it.