Bordeaux wines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Bordeaux wines

Post by Barefootgirl »

I drink primarily American wines and stick to those I've enjoyed, usually in the $10-20 bottle range, maybe 90s for ratings. I've paid more for those I've especially enjoyed.

Today I received an offer in the mail from a wine club, offering 6 bottles of red Bordeaux wines @ $9/bottle, shipping included.

Of course, I've heard of Bordeaux wines and have probably had them in the past, but don't recall.

If anyone is familiar, can you speak to whether this might be a good deal for quality wines? They did send a list of names and years.

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Intens

Re: Bordeaux wines

Post by Intens »

If you are vegan, some red wines are considered vegan and some are not whereas all white wine is vegan.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Bordeaux has some of the world's greatest red wines, and a lot of good to mediocre wines. Without knowing the producers (chateaux), your offer is like saying you will get 6 bottles of California wine for an average of $9 per bottle. Would you get 6 bottles of 2 Buck Chuck? Or 6 bottles of Heitz, Stags Leap, or similar?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

As posted above, the name/label of Bordeaux is no indication of quality. So, it's hard to answer your question.

You could google the names/years in the list and read some of the reviews/ratings.
Last edited by Dutch on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

There are many thousands of producers in Bordeaux making almost a billion bottles of wine a year. Quality ranges from some of the best wines in the world to plonk (to quote Rumpole). Most wines produced are red and predominate grape varieties are Cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and lots of others. If you like California cabs and/or merlots or Washington state red blends then you will probably find something that you at least find interesting in your selection.
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

Intens wrote:If you are vegan, some red wines are considered vegan and some are not whereas all white wine is vegan.
Coming from someone who farms - if I apply manure to my vineyard, and the grapes are harvested to produce white wine - wouldn't that qualify the grapes as NOT being vegan?

And while I'm at it - my public service announcement for the day: pesticides (the stuff that does the killing/protecting) are applied to organic produce
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | "The greatest enemy of a good plan, is the dream of a perfect plan." | -Bogle
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

check the wind out on wine spectator
http://www.winespectator.com/
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

Barefootgirl wrote:I drink primarily American wines and stick to those I've enjoyed, usually in the $10-20 bottle range, maybe 90s for ratings. I've paid more for those I've especially enjoyed.

Today I received an offer in the mail from a wine club, offering 6 bottles of red Bordeaux wines @ $9/bottle, shipping included.

Of course, I've heard of Bordeaux wines and have probably had them in the past, but don't recall.

If anyone is familiar, can you speak to whether this might be a good deal for quality wines? They did send a list of names and years.

Thanks
Are you familiar with what varietals go into Bordeaux? Generally speaking, Bordeaux reds are blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cab Franc. You should like these varietals (in their domestic capacity at least) before you go heavy into Bordeaux reds. As with most French reds compared to domestic reds, they will be drier and less forward. They may have more "funk" to them and less "jam." Domestic reds, especially the Cab/Merlot variety, tend to be very fruit-forward and powerful. French reds, on the whole, will be more reserved.

Bordeaux reds at 9/bottle should be palatable but not great; the better one's will probably make good table wines but nothing to write home about. My Costco recently had one at $10 and it was better than average. All in all, Bordeaux reds were once extremely popular and have fallen with the rise of California style wines. I enjoy them in the right place and time but tend to veer towards the Rhone/Vacqueyras/Gigondas/Chateauneuf du Pape areas when I'm left to my own.
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

bmelikia wrote:
Intens wrote:If you are vegan, some red wines are considered vegan and some are not whereas all white wine is vegan.
Coming from someone who farms - if I apply manure to my vineyard, and the grapes are harvested to produce white wine - wouldn't that qualify the grapes as NOT being vegan?

And while I'm at it - my public service announcement for the day: pesticides (the stuff that does the killing/protecting) are applied to organic produce
The issue with wines is with filtering through animal products, not the soil they are grown in. Every scrap of soil on planet Earth has bug, bird, and mammal poop on it.

As for your public service announcement, that's why I ignore USDA organic and buy only from locally grown, locally certified organic farmers.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.

I've done a bit of research on the 6 wines offered, all but one scoring 90 and above - and a couple in the 94-96 range, seems a bit hard to believe.

Each one retails between $30 and $50 per bottle on all of the more popular wine selling websites.

You know the old saying about a deal that seems too good to be true - I guess I will be testing that adage again.

Thank you again, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Suggest that you check the fine print of the wine club offer. You may be committing to buy monthly wine allocations for the next year. Don't ask how I became aware of these scams.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Have you tried Garagiste?

I not only find the commentary of the wine entertaining, but I've bought some great wines at reasonable prices.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Barefootgirl wrote:Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.

I've done a bit of research on the 6 wines offered, all but one scoring 90 and above - and a couple in the 94-96 range, seems a bit hard to believe.

Each one retails between $30 and $50 per bottle on all of the more popular wine selling websites.

You know the old saying about a deal that seems too good to be true - I guess I will be testing that adage again.

Thank you again, BFG
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually cost quite a bit more than the $9. As Jdb mentioned, they expect you to sign up for a monthly shipment. Could be worth it if you want to try it once, just don't forget to cancel(and don't forget to read the fine print!)
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Remember the old "Record Clubs"? You got 10 LP's for something like $5, then you have to buy a certain number at full price over the next year or so. Book-of-the-Month, same deal.

You can probably manipulate the deal if you want the wine, but beware the fine print.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

No fine print, no future shipments.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Check your state's liquor law, as it may not be legal to ship the wine to your state.

PA's law just changed, which goes into effect Aug. 8: Pennsylvania Legalizes Winery Direct Shipping, Grocery Store Wine Sales *

The map at the top of the article shows which states can have direct wine shipments.

* The last sentence refer's to the Philly's pro basketball team. They came in last, I'll stop here.
Barefootgirl wrote:Today I received an offer in the mail from a wine club, offering 6 bottles of red Bordeaux wines @ $9/bottle, shipping included.
Instead of getting stuck with a case of wine you might not like, use the opportunity to shop locally. Don't go by the ratings, the stores use that information to justify raising the price. Instead, ask a knowledgeable sales person for a suggestion. You'd be surprised at what they can come with.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

I'm not a connoisseur, but I probably enjoy wine more than most. Bordeaux is far and away my favorite region for a *nice* wine (provided it's appropriate for the meal). $9 per bottle trips my BS detector. As others have noted, wines vary tremendously by the vineyard, year, and even location within a region. I've tried lower-end Bordeauxs plenty of times, but I've concluded this is one region where, if you really want to experience the wine properly, you're going to have to pay up. I don't think the value proposition is there otherwise. Unless I get a good tip from someone who knows my tastes, I won't pick up a bottle of Bordeax for less than $40-50, although most of the ones I have now are in the $80-120 range. You also want to pay attention to the year. Some are notably better than others, and I'm going to guess that your $9/bottle wines are not 2005. These also tend to be wines that need to breath before drinking, so you'll want a decanter or (if it's your thing) an aerator.

If you're interested in branching into European red wines and want to get a good value for a $10-$15 bottle (which is close to where I usually hit, notwithstanding the above), I'd suggest looking into Spanish wines, as they still offer great value. If you're looking for French wine, consider something from the Cotes du Rhone region (stay away from inexpensive wines claiming to be chateauneuf du pape, though, that appellation's cheap wines aren't so great). You can get great Cotes du Rhone for $10-15. They will be a bit more earthy and layered than what you're used to from California. Cabernet franc from the Loire can also be a good value in that price range if you like the variety.

If you're looking domestically, Meritage blends tend to mirror the makeup of a Bordeax blend. Some can get pricey, though.

Bottom line: Bordeax is one of those varieties that often doesn't offer a good value proposition unless you get higher up in price. For $9 per bottle, I'd much rather drink a Rioja or a Cotes du Rhone.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Also, as someone else said, best bet is to go to a good wine shop (ideally something local where the owner actually works the floor), tell them what you like and what you want to spend, and let them guide you.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

Stonebr wrote:
bmelikia wrote:

The issue with wines is with filtering through animal products, not the soil they are grown in. Every scrap of soil on planet Earth has bug, bird, and mammal poop on it.

As for your public service announcement, that's why I ignore USDA organic and buy only from locally grown, locally certified organic farmers.
Locally certified organic farmers apply pesticides - and at the end of the day, if you're not in the field you don't really know. But at least it's marketed in a way that it makes you feel good about buying it - there's value in that
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | "The greatest enemy of a good plan, is the dream of a perfect plan." | -Bogle
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

My guess is to skip it.

Even if the club signup terms are completely fair, I have never in my life seen a single such purchase club or "of the month" deal where the products were of notable quality. They're good for those very new to the product being offered, but they single out lower quality items and obfuscate the overall quality of the shipment with variety.

Agreed with the wine shop recommendation. They also have an incentive to repeatedly please you and develop a long-term relationship one bottle at a time.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

It's 54 bucks. You did your research, they are all highly rated. There is no continuing obligation. Go for it.