Should one upgrade to Windows 10? Free thru July 29?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
F150HD

Should one upgrade to Windows 10? Free thru July 29?

Post by F150HD » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:15 am

Running Windows 8.1 on my laptop wondering if I should do the free upgrade to 10. Microsoft offer apparently expires July 29th?

Laptop is a few years old I figured I would wait until I got a new laptop that just came with Windows 10 but not sure if I should just pull the trigger and upgrade before the deadline.

I do have an old Garmin GPS program that runs on 8.1 I'm not sure if it would run on 10 or not. (Mapsource). That's one reason I have not pulled the trigger yet because it was somewhat of a pain to get it installed on Windows 8. Not sure if it would run on 10.

Once you upgrade do you have to reinstall all your other programs ?

Thx

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-literally-counting-seconds-until-143839030.html

mhalley

Re: Should one upgrade to Windows 10? Free thru July 29?

Post by mhalley » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:49 am

The overall feeling is that win 10 is a good upgrade for most people. Most old programs run fine. Leo recommends it. Some privacy concerns but you can google how to minimize them. No program reinstall needed. Be sure you have a good backup before you upgrade.

https://askleo.com/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 am

One thing to do is to Google the brand and model number of your laptop along with "windows 10 upgrade" to see if there are lots of posts with people that had problems with doing the upgrade. When I did did that for my laptop I saw several posts about a problem with the sound, but there was also a simple solution for that.

You can do the same with the GPS program. In theory the upgrade should warn you if you have software that will not work in 10. You should not need to reinstall it.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 am

The Windows 10 updater should tell you if you will have any compatibility issues. I had one with an old VPN program. I had to delete it and then manually run the checker again so that Windows 10 would install.

If you are going to upgrade, don't wait until the last minute.

I just upgraded this week. So far, I have been pleased.

I will upgrade 2 more computers tonight.

zeppy

Post by zeppy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:07 am

After carefully avoiding the "Windows 10 Upgrade" nag for several months, I finally went ahead and let it download and install itself on my computer a couple of days ago. I have been pleasantly surprised. Everything is (almost) right where it was previously.

Before allowing it to proceed, I first set a Restore Point and also uninstalled Classic Shell (which I had previously installed to make my Windows 8.1 look and act like Windows 7). The download took about an hour and a half and the installation took another hour or so. I had been concerned that my Windows Live Mail wouldn't transfer properly and that my 10 years worth of stored e-mails might get lost in the shuffle but they moved over seamlessly. The Start button is similar to old Windows 7 with the addition of a few tiles for specific apps (which can be deleted or rearranged).

One thing I would caution about is to not "Use Express Settings" but, rather, to use the "Customize Settings" where you can deselect a number of potentially intrusive or unwanted choices.

I had planned to reinstall the Classic Shell but, after playing around with it for a couple of days, find that I like it and it is so similar to old Windows that I'll just keep it as is.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 am

I upgraded to 10 when it first became available and have been happy with it. No trouble to install, no glitches, nice user interface.

Higman

Post by Higman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:42 am

I would go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 8.1 is a lot closer to Windows 10 than Windows 7 so it should be an easy upgrade. You do have 30 days to back it off should you want to. A month ago I upgraded two desktop PCs from 7 to 10. Things I found:

1. It takes a little getting used to especially if you like poking around under the covers. Some functions have been moved. You just have to find them.

2. Windows claimed that all my programs and data were left in place yet it removed Ccleaner from once pc and not the other.

3. I backed off from the new Edge browser (back to IE 11) since it kept reinitializing itself every few days wiping out all my Favorites. Chrome runs ok and I have heard Firefox runs ok also.

4. The Action Center periodically hangs and can’t see new notifications. Nor can I left click the Windows icon. This has been a known problem for months. Sometimes a restart clears it, sometimes a deeper command such as DISM will clear it.

5. The traditional games (freecell, solitaire, hearts, etc.) have been removed. You must purchase a new updated version. I didn’t like the look and feel of them during a trial so I installed the original games from winaero.com.

There is also a major “anniversary update” coming in early August. It would be best to get this update done soon and get used to the look and feel now.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

I have upgraded six machines and only one minor setback. Had to reinstall a Canon printer. Reinstall went flawlessly using latest software from Canon (8 year old printer).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

My general recommendation is to take a backup, upgrade to Windows 10 (which locks in your "digital entitlement" during the free upgrade period), and then head back to Windows 7 or 8.1 unless you really like 10. This way you can have your cake (the free upgrade) and eat it too (control your actual move to 10 on your own time)

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:55 am

I upgraded my Win7 desktop last week. My biggest problem was the install failed. After the failure, I started again, it would redownload a couple of gigs of data, then fail again . After doing this dance a few times and restarting a service or two, I finally got through the upgrade. The message here is don't wait until the last minute. The only glitch after the install was I had to reinstall an older network printer. So far, I'm happy with the upgrade.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Going from 8.1 to 10 is easy. MS did it to me overnight without permission but it has been seamless with no problems. Customized after the fact for maximum privacy. Might as well get the inevitable over with. Why not contact the vendor of the software that may be problematic?

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Without a doubt upgrade for free.
Windows 10 IS the future.
Why pay for it eventually :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

rec7

Post by rec7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:56 pm

It is not a bad I even put it on my 9 year old computer. It runs great the only thing is I have to press the power button twice to shut it off. It was an old vista machine. I am not sure it was 100% upgradeable but it seems to work good.
Last edited by rec7 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Definitely a good idea to do the upgrade, then if you don't like it, roll back to Win7/8. Because if you upgrade, you'll keep the license if you ever decide to go to win10 again in the future. If you *don't* upgrade, and later want win10, you'd have to pay for it (at whatever they're charging in the future)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:00 pm

No, I don't recommend the upgrade due to privacy concerns. Windows 7 still has a few years of support left.

To keep Windows 10 from installing, run this: Never10
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:04 pm

I installed Win 10 "next to" my Win 7 installations, that is, on a separate new partition that doesn't have any other operating system on it.

Then I changed my default boot selection to go back to Win 7.

Now I can switch to Win 10 whenever I want to, but don't have to use it until/unless the privacy issues are resolved.

Another privacy tip: do NOT create or use a "Microsoft account" when installing, even though they "recommend" that, as doing so tells them way too much about you. Just create a local account.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:No, I don't recommend the upgrade due to privacy concerns. Windows 7 still has a few years of support left.

To keep Windows 10 from installing, run this: Never10

I have tried it and it seems to work as advertised. Steve Gibson is great!
Last edited by technovelist on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 pm

I have Windows 7 and Win 10 on two laptops. They both work fine for my needs. The only reason I have not yet upgraded my Win 7 machine to Win 10 is because there is no Win 10 driver for my old but very capable Canon MP950 printer. So I kept my old laptop at Win 7 to print when I need to which isn't that often.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 am

I upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop yesterday. So far everything seems to be working good. The upgrade was fast and easy and took 2 hours total. So far I have found a few things that are funny but overall it is almost the same as Win 8.1. The print screen always go to the first page of the document no matter which page you are looking at before hitting print. So you have to then scroll to the page you want to print. I also had to hunt all over to find a total shut down button. I guess Microsoft wants the machine to stay on all the time to spy I guess. So they hid the power down stuff.

I am concerned about the privacy issues as well. Does anyone have handle on Win 8.1 vs 10 for performance and privacy. I turned off all of the Cortina stuff and cloud stuff but I am sure Win 10 still uploads a lot of data.

The guys at Best Buy Geek squad told us to upgrade the Win 8.1 machines but to not do anything to the older Win 7 machines. So we are keeping those as Win 7 machines. But I am worried at how we get updates on those.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:19 am

You can lock in the free Win 10 upgrade by doing the upgrade now. You can then roll back to your previous version of Windows. My understanding is once your computer has had a valid copy of Win 10 installed, it will be remember your hardware has once had Win 10 and you will be allowed to install Win 10 for free in the future even though you rolled it back.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:33 am

Win10 is much better than Win8. If I had Win7 on a machine, then I might think more about upgrading it, but probably would.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am

SpringMan wrote:You can lock in the free Win 10 upgrade by doing the upgrade now. You can then roll back to your previous version of Windows. My understanding is once your computer has had a valid copy of Win 10 installed, it will be remember your hardware has once had Win 10 and you will be allowed to install Win 10 for free in the future even though you rolled it back.

That is correct, but it is easier to just create a "clean install" of Windows 10 on a new partition, then switch back to booting from the old OS. At one point that wouldn't have worked (because it wouldn't do a clean install without a previous upgrade) but now that does work, at least in my experience.

Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 am

btenny wrote:I upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop yesterday...

I also had to hunt all over to find a total shut down button. I guess Microsoft wants the machine to stay on all the time to spy I guess. So they hid the power down stuff.

On my Win 10 machine I right click on the little window pane in the left corner of the task bar to shut down or restart. I also right click here to go to control panel. I guess I am basically using Win 10 like a Win 7 machine.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:52 am

I have a formerly Win 8.0 computer that would not upgrade to 8.1 so I could take advantage of the free offer to go to 10. It was Administrator blocked despite my being the Administrator. I went ahead an purchased Win 10 from the MSFT store and downloaded it and it would not install either. I contacted MSFT support and they accessed my computer and could not get either one to install either. After 5 hours on the phone the end result was to do a clean install of Win 10 which meant all my programs and files would be lost. I had backups for almost everything in multiple places so we went ahead with the clean install. It was important to me to update since some of the photo software I use will not be issuing updates that support 8.0 either now or the immediate future.

After the update the MSFT person noticed that it installed using the license code for my 8.0 software so they refunded my purchase price of Win 10.

Office 2010 Pro installed AOK as did everything from Malwarebytes to ADC Calendar, it installed both printers by itself, and quite a few others programs were an easy install, except Adobe Lightroom which took 2 days of total hassle to get installed. My wife's laptop is on 8.1 and we are going to leave that one alone, at least for now since she uses lots of Adobe software and not much else on it.

If you can install it in upgrade mode where it leaves your files and programs intact I'd say go ahead and do it. It's easy to get used too and just not that different and I suspect MSFT will be supporting it long after they stop supporting 8.1.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm staying with Win7, it does fine what I need and little that I don't. As for the "free or or pay later" rationale advocated here, I figure when I buy a new system sometime in the future it will come pre-loaded with 10 and for the systems I have now I'll jump to Linux in 2020 when updates end, or I'll just stick with Win7.

Intens

Post by Intens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Ninegrams wrote:I'm staying with Win7, it does fine what I need and little that I don't. As for the "free or or pay later" rationale advocated here, I figure when I buy a new system sometime in the future it will come pre-loaded with 10 and for the systems I have now I'll jump to Linux in 2020 when updates end, or I'll just stick with Win7.

My plan as well.

I do have a Windows 10 laptop that was upgraded via a backdoor method from Vista.
I only have it just to have it.
I am in the software development field, so I do have to sort of keep up-to-date with technology.

My mother's Vista laptop will get upgraded to Linux in 2017 when Vista support ends.
I am now looking for a Windows 7 PC for her.

My main concern now is the UEFI BIOS which prevents Linux from being installed.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Intens wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:I'm staying with Win7, it does fine what I need and little that I don't. As for the "free or or pay later" rationale advocated here, I figure when I buy a new system sometime in the future it will come pre-loaded with 10 and for the systems I have now I'll jump to Linux in 2020 when updates end, or I'll just stick with Win7.

My plan as well.

I do have a Windows 10 laptop that was upgraded via a backdoor method from Vista.
I am in the software development field, so I do have to sort of keep up-to-date with technology.

My mother's Vista laptop will get upgraded to Linux in 2017 when Vista support ends.

So if you install windows 10 then you can't install Linux later?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Intens

Post by Intens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 pm

rec7 wrote:
Intens wrote:

My plan as well.

As I understand it, it is not Windows 10; it is the UEFI that prevents installation.
UEFI replaced the BIOS on newer PCs.
I need to research this further since I use Linux a lot.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Linux supports UEFI. For example, here's the Fedora docs: Chapter 7. Booting the Installer
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jchef

Post by jchef » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Intens wrote:
rec7 wrote:
Intens wrote:

My plan as well.

As I understand it, it is not Windows 10; it is the UEFI that prevents installation.
UEFI replaced the BIOS on newer PCs.
I need to research this further since I use Linux a lot.

Microsoft required that UEFI could be disabled on any machine that shipped with Windows 8 or 8.1. Microsoft is no longer requiring this option be available on machines that are shipped with Windows 10, although many manufacturers are still giving you the option.

In addition, many flavours of Linux are UEFI compatible. So even if you can't or don't want to disable UEFI, you should still be able to install some versions of Linux.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Yes. It's Windows 10, so clearly better it's 1.9 better than Windows 8.1. :happy

In all seriousness, you should upgrade your license, even if you decide to go back to the old version. I initially had frequent blue screens after the upgrade due to an incompatible AMD mobile GPU driver, but I was an early adopter and most issues have been solved.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:22 pm

midareff wrote:...and quite a few others programs were an easy install, except Adobe Lightroom which took 2 days of total hassle to get installed.

What were the issues with Lightroom? I have both Lightroom (V5, 64 bit) and Premiere Elements v11 on my Win7 machine (both older versions and I have no desire to pay for an upgrade).
As well as several other software packages where there might be compatibility issues since they are older versions.
I thought there was some sort of "compatibility checker" that it runs before the install. Did it not flag Lightroom?

Can you run the compatibility checker as a stand-alone operation before starting the install of win10?

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:44 pm

btenny wrote:

I am concerned about the privacy issues as well. Does anyone have handle on Win 8.1 vs 10 for performance and privacy. I turned off all of the Cortina stuff and cloud stuff but I am sure Win 10 still uploads a lot of data.

If what one reads in various forums is true, Microsoft is adding some data collection streams to Win 8.1. But nothing to the extent of Win 10. If you look around on the various technical forums (various Reddit forums, Dsl Reports, etc.), people have compiled long lists of hosts that Win 10 sends data to (despite privacy settings). The hosts are hard-coded into dlls so they cannot be blocked via a hosts file. They can only be blocked by adding the hosts to a router block file. That requires a router able to block 50-150 hosts, or whatever the number is.

For anyone concerned with privacy, it's worth searching for these posts and finding out the latest conclusions. There was a long back-and-forth attempting to clarify whether the testers had ever created a Microsoft account or whether the data collection was happening on a virgin system -- i.e., local account only with no Microsoft account ever created.

FWIW, I have Win 8.1 on a phone. I've activated all the privacy settings, yet periodically they become undone. For example, I'll disable Location, yet somewhere along the line, Location gets turned back on. Also, the phone tries to connect to various Microsoft-related sites. I no longer ues the phone because of that, but in truth, I bought the phone primarily for the camera, so I'm okay with keeping it in airplane mode with wifi off.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Tamales wrote:
midareff wrote:...and quite a few others programs were an easy install, except Adobe Lightroom which took 2 days of total hassle to get installed.

What were the issues with Lightroom? I have both Lightroom (V5, 64 bit) and Premiere Elements v11 on my Win7 machine (both older versions and I have no desire to pay for an upgrade).
As well as several other software packages where there might be compatibility issues since they are older versions.
I thought there was some sort of "compatibility checker" that it runs before the install. Did it not flag Lightroom?

Can you run the compatibility checker as a stand-alone operation before starting the install of win10?

Lightroom 6.0 installed fine... that was not the issue. The issue was it would not upgrade to any of the more current releases.. 6.5, 6.5.1, or 6.6 thereby I could not re-import some Sony RX100m4 raws from our last trip into my catalogue. Turns out you need to find Adobe Application Manager 10.0 when 9.6 is what downloads from the Lightroom site with 6.0, and it won't work. I think the last version of LR in the 5 series was 5.7, which you are entitled to if you own 5. Never ran Elements so can't help there

And, FWIW, Win 10 is supposed to keep all you applications and files as they are when you do it as an upgrade. I had to do a clean install which means everything was wiped.
Last edited by midareff on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pharmacist

Post by Pharmacist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:57 pm

I like Windows 10 a lot better than 8

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 pm

I had been turning my win7 pc off every night so that win10 would not be installed. But, my techy son was over the other night and said let's just do it. So I did. I had no problems whatsoever. And my pc is 10 times faster than it was. My Brother printer still prints. It takes a little getting used to but so far I have found everything I need. Fingers crossed.