Hyatt 2 free nights credit card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ugaDAWGS09

Hyatt 2 free nights credit card

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 am

Hey everyone, my wife and I are going to get the Hyatt card that provides 2 free nights to any Hyatt worldwide. Has anyone else applied and taken advantage of this deal? Which hotel did you choose to stay at?

I'm currently looking at a couple of different hotels, including Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Zilara in Cancun, and the Hyatt in Paris-Vendome. Anyone have any good recommendations on places they have stayed?

Chicago60

Re: Hyatt 2 free nights credit card

Post by Chicago60 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 am

Yes, and yes. To really take advantage of this, you should consider researching on the Hyatt website and some travel blogs for Hyatt 7 or 6 star properties. We thought we received amazing value for the Zilara Cancun; so much so that we have now booked the Zilara Montego Bay with LW's 2 free nights, plus some additional free nights at 25K points per night with transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards. A very nice property, and very decent food considering it was all inclusive.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am

I sought out the Park Hyatt Vendome when I used these free nights and, looking back, I sort of regret that choice.

I suggest picking some place you want to go anyway - a place where you'd consider spending money to stay. Don't go out of your way just to seek a hotel, and don't pick a hotel just because it's expensive. Make sure the destination is really calling to you.

If we are going to suggest specific hotels: my favorite Hyatt property is the Grand Hyatt Kauai - it's a spectacular hotel in a spectacular setting. If you're into going to Caribbean resorts, the all-inclusives seem like a tempting option, but I haven't been to Hyatt's and can't recommend them personally.
Last edited by traveltoomuch on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew777

Post by Drew777 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:56 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:Hey everyone, my wife and I are going to get the Hyatt card that provides 2 free nights to any Hyatt worldwide. Has anyone else applied and taken advantage of this deal? Which hotel did you choose to stay at?

I'm currently looking at a couple of different hotels, including Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Zilara in Cancun, and the Hyatt in Paris-Vendome. Anyone have any good recommendations on places they have stayed?
Yes, I used them at the Park Hyatt Milan. It was definitely worth it. Added 30k points for a third night.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:18 am

I have used this card for several years and think it is a good card. We prefer Hyatt and it works well. The free night each year more than pays the annual fee. As to your question, we used our initial two nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. I highly recommend it. Amazing location, wonderful hotel. Great staff. Room was extremely well designed and furnished. I think you should use these nights for the highest possible price point because unlike the annual free night you are not limited to any hotel category. The tough part is you will want to go back again. It is addictive!

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:22 am

The card offers additional perks like late checkout, which is useful. When I checked in to a Hyatt Regency recently, I was upgraded to the presidential suite.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:22 am

traveltoomuch wrote:If we are going to suggest specific hotels: my favorite Hyatt property is the Grand Hyatt Kauai - it's a spectacular hotel in a spectacular setting.
Completely agree. That's a magical part of the world.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 am

traveltoomuch wrote:If we are going to suggest specific hotels: my favorite Hyatt property is the Grand Hyatt Kauai - it's a spectacular hotel in a spectacular setting. If you're into going to Caribbean resorts, the all-inclusives seem like a tempting option, but I haven't been to Hyatt's and can't recommend them personally.
+1 for that property.

DH and I have a running mental list of places we'd like to go. We then determined where to go in order to get the biggest bang for the buck, meaning places that would be cost-prohibitive unless using a deal such as this one.

-Steph

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:30 am

SRenaeP wrote:
traveltoomuch wrote:If we are going to suggest specific hotels: my favorite Hyatt property is the Grand Hyatt Kauai - it's a spectacular hotel in a spectacular setting. If you're into going to Caribbean resorts, the all-inclusives seem like a tempting option, but I haven't been to Hyatt's and can't recommend them personally.
+1 for that property.

DH and I have a running mental list of places we'd like to go. We then determined where to go in order to get the biggest bang for the buck, meaning places that would be cost-prohibitive unless using a deal such as this one.

-Steph
How much is that hotel per night just curious?

How do you use the two free nights when making the reservation? Do they automatically go on your Hyatt rewards account?
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:37 am

BW1985 wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
+1 for that property.

-Steph

How do you use the two free nights when making the reservation? Do they automatically go on your Hyatt rewards account?
The cost per night, of course, varies depending on the time of year, and the demand for the rooms. The two free nights do automatically go into your Hyatt account, but, unlike other hotel programs, you cannot use the free nights by making an online reservation: there is an 800 number you must call to schedule the free nights. Quite simple.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 am

BW1985 wrote:How much is that hotel per night just curious?
For an ocean view room I paid about $550 or $600 a night, including all taxes and fees. And it was worth every penny. Seriously.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 am

BW1985 wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
+1 for that property.

-Steph

It was around $400/night when we went during Labor Day week last year. If you do go, upgrade to the Grand Club access. IIRC, it was an additional $75/day but well worth it for the free food and beverage and spa access.

-Steph

goingup

Post by goingup » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:49 am

Snapper wrote:I have used this card for several years and think it is a good card. We prefer Hyatt and it works well. The free night each year more than pays the annual fee. As to your question, we used our initial two nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. I highly recommend it. Amazing location, wonderful hotel. Great staff. Room was extremely well designed and furnished. I think you should use these nights for the highest possible price point because unlike the annual free night you are not limited to any hotel category. The tough part is you will want to go back again. It is addictive!
So 2 free nights to sign up, then 1 free night per year thereafter? What's the annual fee?

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I'm excited about traveling to a very nice hotel in a nice location for four free nights. My wife and I have a lot of Chase UR points so we can definitely add another night or two if we want to extend the stay. I've read this reward can be used every 24 months.

I'm going to look into all the hotels mentioned here and see what looks best. We have never been overseas so Paris sounds fun, but with all the stuff going on it makes me a little weary of traveling there right now.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:04 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote: We have never been overseas so Paris sounds fun, but with all the stuff going on it makes me a little weary of traveling there right now.
We recently had a thread that addressed, in passing, some of those fears: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194405

With that said, unless you're very at home in huge cities, Paris seems ambitious for a first-time overseas traveler - I have visions of you having some very bad experiences with Paris's pickpockets. Beyond that, crossing an ocean for only four nights seems like a waste.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

Do you use the same Hyatt Gold # when opening both credit cards? Or do you have to make one reservation for 2 days then a subsequent 2 day reservation right after that?
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:We have never been overseas so Paris sounds fun, but with all the stuff going on it makes me a little weary of traveling there right now.
Look at statistics, not headlines. Your odds of being killed are much greater by staying here in the US.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:46 am

My husband and I both applied for the card, and so spent 4 nights at the Hyatt Place Vendome this spring. Faaaabulous. The Hyatt Madeline is also nice, if there isn't room at the Vendome.

barreg

Post by barreg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:49 am

goingup wrote: So 2 free nights to sign up, then 1 free night per year thereafter? What's the annual fee?
It's $75/yr. The initial 2 free nights are any category hotel and the annual free night thereafter is for up to category 4 hotels.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:54 am

My brother and I spent 4 great nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo with those free night certificates. The card is definitely worth it. Check out the method for also getting a $50 credit. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-go ... -wiki.html

Matt48Ritchie

Post by Matt48Ritchie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:00 pm

barreg wrote:
goingup wrote: So 2 free nights to sign up, then 1 free night per year thereafter? What's the annual fee?
It's $75/yr. The initial 2 free nights are any category hotel and the annual free night thereafter is for up to category 4 hotels.
Also, you should be able to cancel the card after receiving the anniversary night to avoid paying the annual fee. DW and I each got 3 nights (6 total) without paying the annual fee. We'll be going for round 2 in a few months.

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:17 pm

How good of a location is the Hyatt Vendome. I don't know much about Paris so I would need to start doing some research on the city to see what I can find out. I was originally looking at the Zilara in Cancun since it was all inclusive, but that's not going to be a deciding factor for my trip. It just had a lot of good reviews and seemed to be one of the better Hyatt's on the ocean.

I know you have 12 months to use the free nights so I have plenty of time to do some research.

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm

traveltoomuch wrote:
ugaDAWGS09 wrote: We have never been overseas so Paris sounds fun, but with all the stuff going on it makes me a little weary of traveling there right now.
We recently had a thread that addressed, in passing, some of those fears: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194405

With that said, unless you're very at home in huge cities, Paris seems ambitious for a first-time overseas traveler - I have visions of you having some very bad experiences with Paris's pickpockets. Beyond that, crossing an ocean for only four nights seems like a waste.
We will use the 4 free nights, but we also have plenty of UR points and can add an extra night or two without coming out of pocket.

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:10 pm

We used it at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa in the Maldives. Absolutely incredible!

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:21 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:We used it at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa in the Maldives. Absolutely incredible!
The resort looks amazing, but how long does it take to get over there from the U.S?

straws46

Post by straws46 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 pm

We started out with the credit card and a Diamond challenge. Stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong in a huge suite overlooking Victoria Harbor. Diamond status was so great with the upgrades and free food we now make sure we stay 50 nights each year. I think we are hooked. It's so bad we often plan our trips just based on where there's a Hyatt. Not great coverage of Europe but great locations in SE Asia and Australia. Our favorites overseas have been Siem Reap, Hong Kong, Vienna and Sydney.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 pm

My wife and I both applied for the card when we traveled to Europe. Spent 4 nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris.

The hotel did not have availability in the "free night" category rooms. However, I emailed the hotel and asked if we could pay the difference between the free room and the rooms that were available. Imagine my surprise when the hotel concierge called me at work the next day and confirmed my request and said we could stay all 4 nights for 100 euros total.

The location was spectacular and great for a first visit to Paris.

traveler90

Post by traveler90 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:14 am

bbqguru wrote:My wife and I both applied for the card when we traveled to Europe. Spent 4 nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris.

The hotel did not have availability in the "free night" category rooms. However, I emailed the hotel and asked if we could pay the difference between the free room and the rooms that were available. Imagine my surprise when the hotel concierge called me at work the next day and confirmed my request and said we could stay all 4 nights for 100 euros total.

The location was spectacular and great for a first visit to Paris.

Want to do this in the future with the wife and both apply for the card for 4 nights.

Properties I am thinking about:

Paris
Vienna
Tokyo
Hawaii

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:21 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:We used it at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa in the Maldives. Absolutely incredible!
The resort looks amazing, but how long does it take to get over there from the U.S?
A loooong time. It's a haul, but it's so worth it. For us, our trip started in Chicago. We went:

Chicago to Abu Dhabi (15 hours?). Stayed in Abu Dhabi for 4 days on Saadiyat Island, which was awesome.

Then we went Abu Dhabi to Sri Lanka (maybe another 4-5 hours?)

Sri Lanka to Male (1.5 hours?)

From Male, we took a small plane for another hour flight to a small island, then it was a half hour boat ride to the resort.

Tons of travel, but absolutely worth it. We are hoping to go back sometime soon.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
A loooong time. It's a haul, but it's so worth it. For us, our trip started in Chicago. We went:

Chicago to Abu Dhabi (15 hours?). Stayed in Abu Dhabi for 4 days on Saadiyat Island, which was awesome.

From Male, we took a small plane for another hour flight to a small island, then it was a half hour boat ride to the resort.

Tons of travel, but absolutely worth it. We are hoping to go back sometime soon.
I heard this place is insanely expensive even with the free nights-

$500/person to get from Male to the resort, $100/person dinners, etc.

Can you confirm?

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Park Hyatt in St Kitts looks interesting.. brand new.

Do you still have to pay taxes on the free room or is it completely free out the door? On a $600-$1000/night room I'd expect the taxes to be pretty high themselves!

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Park Hyatt NYC (if you can find availability)
Park Hyatt Paris Vendome

It really depends on where you want to go. The above list is purely based on price and perceived value.
Paris starts at $600 a night, if you are a diamond you will be booked in to a suite with breakfast, cash cost about $1000.

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm

BW1985 wrote:Park Hyatt in St Kitts looks interesting.. brand new.

Do you still have to pay taxes on the free room or is it completely free out the door? On a $600-$1000/night room I'd expect the taxes to be pretty high themselves!
In most places you don't have to pay tax. but there might be resort fees.

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm

BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:

Can you confirm?
Eh, it's definitely not cheap. I believe that for two people our total bill (which included the transportation to get from Male to the resort, all food/drinks, and excursions) was around $2500 for two people for 7 days.

Now, that's a lot of money. But, it was still a steal for us considering our room alone would have cost anywhere from 1100 to 1400 a night. But honestly, it was very worth it. We've been on several "beach" type of vacations, and this one was absolutely the best, and it's not really close. You're on your own island right by the equator. The facilities are all top notch, the snorkeling and diving is amazing, and the food was delicious.

As far as specific costs, the transport to and from Male and the resort is about $550 a person. It basically includes the flight from Male to the small island, and the boat ride from the island to the resort, and then same thing going back.

Food is quite expensive. Honestly though, I suspect most people could just eat the breakfast at about 10-11 am, and then a small snack or sandwich in the evening, and be fine. The breakfast was massive, you got 3 entrees, and they brought you a tower of different fruits/breads/other little treats. I'm a big guy (6'4, 280) and I was very satisfied with this, and a sandwich or something at night. Now, breakfast was $35 a person, and the sandwich was $18 or so. But it's very good food, and very worth it.

We did do a couple of nicer dinners, and those ended up about $100/person. But that's relatively comparable to a nice steakhouse back home, and the food was just as good.

Again, it is expensive, but it's all so, so worth it.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:

Can you confirm?
Eh, it's definitely not cheap. I believe that for two people our total bill (which included the transportation to get from Male to the resort, all food/drinks, and excursions) was around $2500 for two people for 7 days.

Now, that's a lot of money. But, it was still a steal for us considering our room alone would have cost anywhere from 1100 to 1400 a night. But honestly, it was very worth it. We've been on several "beach" type of vacations, and this one was absolutely the best, and it's not really close. You're on your own island right by the equator. The facilities are all top notch, the snorkeling and diving is amazing, and the food was delicious.

As far as specific costs, the transport to and from Male and the resort is about $550 a person. It basically includes the flight from Male to the small island, and the boat ride from the island to the resort, and then same thing going back.

Food is quite expensive. Honestly though, I suspect most people could just eat the breakfast at about 10-11 am, and then a small snack or sandwich in the evening, and be fine. The breakfast was massive, you got 3 entrees, and they brought you a tower of different fruits/breads/other little treats. I'm a big guy (6'4, 280) and I was very satisfied with this, and a sandwich or something at night. Now, breakfast was $35 a person, and the sandwich was $18 or so. But it's very good food, and very worth it.

We did do a couple of nicer dinners, and those ended up about $100/person. But that's relatively comparable to a nice steakhouse back home, and the food was just as good.

Thanks, does sound pretty pricey as I expected. Did you use points/free nights for all 7 nights? What did you pay for your air fare?

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 pm

BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:

Can you confirm?

Thanks, does sound pretty pricey as I expected. Did you use points/free nights for all 7 nights? What did you pay for your air fare?

Yes, we used 4 free Hyatt nights (we each opened a Hyatt CC) and then transferred 75k Chase Ultimate Rewards points for the other 3 nights.

Airfare is actually the main reason that we went on the trip! I got in on the Christmas morning mistake fare, we paid $218 round trip per person to go from Chicago to Abu Dhabi. Then it was ~$450 a person RT from Abu Dhabi to Male, flying through Sri Lanka.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:52 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
auggiedoggies wrote:

Can you confirm?

Yes, we used 4 free Hyatt nights (we each opened a Hyatt CC) and then transferred 75k Chase Ultimate Rewards points for the other 3 nights.

Airfare is actually the main reason that we went on the trip! I got in on the Christmas morning mistake fare, we paid $218 round trip per person to go from Chicago to Abu Dhabi. Then it was ~$450 a person RT from Abu Dhabi to Male, flying through Sri Lanka.
Wow 25k UR points for a room that would cost $1100 - $1400 that's a steal! And nice find on the fare mistake :)

kite

Post by kite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:56 pm

I used my free nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I've since used points to stay at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. Both were great hotels and relatively easy to get to from the US.

OP - make sure you realize that your annual free night can not be used for any Hyatt hotel like their signup 2-night bonus. It can only be used for Category 1-4 hotels. It's still worth the annual fee but don't expect you can use your annual free night in Hawaii/Cancun/Downtown Paris/etc...

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm

kite wrote:I used my free nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I've since used points to stay at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. Both were great hotels and relatively easy to get to from the US.

OP - make sure you realize that your annual free night can not be used for any Hyatt hotel like their signup 2-night bonus. It can only be used for Category 1-4 hotels. It's still worth the annual fee but don't expect you can use your annual free night in Hawaii/Cancun/Downtown Paris/etc...
How would you compare the two resorts? I've been to Maui about 5 years ago but never to Kauai. Cancun would be good because we could do 4 free nights plus stay a couple more nights and get the flights using our Ultimate Reward Points. The vacation would cost us very little since it's an all-inclusive. I've never stayed at an all-inclusive so I don't know what to expect as far as the food and activities go. I don't want to go somewhere that is 100% party and loud, I would like to get some relaxing time also at the resort.

kite

Post by kite » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:13 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
kite wrote:I used my free nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I've since used points to stay at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. Both were great hotels and relatively easy to get to from the US.

How would you compare the two resorts? I've been to Maui about 5 years ago but never to Kauai. Cancun would be good because we could do 4 free nights plus stay a couple more nights and get the flights using our Ultimate Reward Points. The vacation would cost us very little since it's an all-inclusive. I've never stayed at an all-inclusive so I don't know what to expect as far as the food and activities go. I don't want to go somewhere that is 100% party and loud, I would like to get some relaxing time also at the resort.
It's hard to compare because they're both totally different styles of vacation. The resort in Kauai is smaller, quieter, and much more expensive once you're there (it's not inclusive). The Cancun resort is probably more "fun" although you can sort of be by yourself if that's what you prefer. There were a lot of pools and ways to get away from people, at least while I was there.

FWIW, if I was planning another beach vacation where I could just chill and not worry about anything I'd go back to Cancun.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:37 pm

We have the Sapphire and Freedom combo and lots of UR points. Used those to pay for Southwest flights to/from Cancun. Used this credit card bonus to get two free nights at Zilara. Paid cash for 3 extra nights. So 5 nights at a nice all-inclusive and rt flights cost me like $800. Pretty awesome.

Really enjoyed the Zilara. Best food I've had at a all-inclusive and great drinks and cocktails. Definitely recommend.

Per comments above. The resort has two sides to the pool. A more active side and a calm side. We got up early and reserved a cabana on the calm side every morning. Was a very relaxing vacation.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.