Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bigguy8437
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 am

Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:33 pm

So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?

livesoft
Posts: 56578
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:37 pm

They went on vacation or quit their job or got fired.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Rodc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Like livesoft said.

Or they are trying to see if you start acting desperate. If so they know they can set the hook and reel you like a big old fish. The flip side of you walking out of the showroom.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7317
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Send them an Email and ask them. :happy
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mhalley
Posts: 5135
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by mhalley » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Maybe they decided you weren't serious about the lease?

Mingus
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Mingus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 pm

mhalley wrote:Maybe they decided you weren't serious about the lease?


This is what I was thinking. A good sales person can tell. And maybe you were serious and it wasn't a good salesperson.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by mhc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Maybe the person has Sunday and Monday off and he is still catching up on emails. It is only Tuesday.

Maybe the person is sick and out a few days.

Maybe a family emergency.

Fallible
Posts: 6125
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Fallible » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Hard to say, but maybe they didn't want to put anything in writing when they could be held to it. It's also easier for them to deal with customers in person, get you in the showroom or their offices, home advantage.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Doom&Gloom
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 pm

This is why somebody made more than one car dealer. Don't get hooked on just one or you are at their mercy.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm

My guess would be they think you aren't a serious buyer and just wasting their time. They are flooded with emails that don't go anywhere so it's somewhat understandable.

Rich in Michigan
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Rich in Michigan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Email the manager or better yet, pick up the phone. You could probably get more resolved in a 5 minute phone call than in several days of back and forth emailing.

User avatar
jimmyq
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by jimmyq » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:51 pm

If you have the manager's email address, you could send a polite note directly to him/her saying that you are having a communication issue and would like to request that another sales person work with you.

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by fizxman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Use a second email address and ask the same questions again and see what happens.

sambb
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by sambb » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:39 am

KyleAAA wrote:My guess would be they think you aren't a serious buyer and just wasting their time. They are flooded with emails that don't go anywhere so it's somewhat understandable.


+1
Having friends in the business and being someone who buys a lot of cars, each potential client is sized up for whether or not you are worth their time. To some salespeople you are, to others you aren't. It might be best to think about it like this - they get paid if they sell a car. Perhaps your questions are related to a car that has such a small margin, that it isn't worth it to them. However, other salespeople it might be. An accord is well known to sell around invoice, and they sell them all day long since it is a very popular car. Everyone's time has value, even a car salesperson.

navyitaly
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by navyitaly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 am

You can't buy a car over the internet...need to be in person....

BobDaBlob
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:50 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by BobDaBlob » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 am

navyitaly...OP wasn't "buying" he was "shopping"...and there are many other dealers that OP should reach out to via email or online...the last car i bought Sept 2014, all my shopping was done online and via email...emailed 5 dealers within 200 miles, asked for out the door pricing on exact car...got 3 responses...emailed all 3 respondents saying i had multiple quotes and to give me best price...i ended up making a deal 2 hours away for a grand less than 2 dealers within 10 miles would even come close to...3 days later, drove out with my trade-in and drove home in 2 hours with new car...and one of those nearby dealers gets the service...
Too much of everything is just enough...

gd
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by gd » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 am

There are regular threads about buying cars via widespread emailings and playing dealers off against each other to whittle their profits down to almost nothing. At some point the dealers are going to shrug and move on to more productive activities, like the people who just walked in their door. You sleep in the bed you make.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2313
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by wander » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:26 am

Or call to ask them.

tim1999
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by tim1999 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:51 am

I had a very similar experience within the last two weeks with a dealer's "internet sales group." After a couple of back and forths, I wanted them to put a price in writing, at which point they flaked out and stopped contact with me. This was for one of the most expensive cars on their lot that has been sitting there for 6+ months. I had a price from another dealer for an identical car and asked if they could beat it. I guess either they couldn't, or they figured I wasn't enough of a sucker to be worth their time. I think these dealers want you to be there in person so they can play their whole "How to win in car sales 101" game. Seems like the "internet sales group" game is just another angle to get you to eventually physically come in the door.

inbox788
Posts: 4142
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:14 am

Move on to another dealership or another car. Your choices are many. Or pay up for the car the have, but not recommended.
If you don't have other Honda dealers nearby, check out Camry, Malibu, Passat, Fusion, Altima, etc.
Or buy a used one and save yourself some cash.
Last edited by inbox788 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PowDay
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by PowDay » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:15 am

Spend some time on http://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales, and you will get a good understanding of how car salespeople operate. The salesperson probably decided that their time was better spend with customers who showed up in person, vs long email chains with a customer who may or may not be ready to buy.

It's frustrating as a customer, but its the way things work.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 am

PowDay wrote:Spend some time on http://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales, and you will get a good understanding of how car salespeople operate. The salesperson probably decided that their time was better spend with customers who showed up in person, vs long email chains with a customer who may or may not be ready to buy.

It's frustrating as a customer, but its the way things work.


I second checking out http://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales. They regularly relate stories about how they play games with people who insist on only doing business via email or over the phone. It is extremely common for a dealership to throw out a price they know no other dealership will be able to match just to mess with the competition. And since there are so many loopholes that giving a price in writing over email isn't legally binding, they have no intention of selling you the car at that price either. They do give extremely good advice on how to get the lowest price over the internet, though; much better advice than you'll get here.

As consumers, this is the shopping experience we've created for ourselves and let's be honest, we deserve it. If you want a better experience, vote with your dollars by going to Carmax and paying a bit more.

Chicago60
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Chicago60 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 am

livesoft wrote:They went on vacation or quit their job or got fired.

This......and

wander wrote:Or call to ask them.


This.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 11572
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 am

navyitaly wrote:You can't buy a car over the internet...need to be in person....


Not true. I bought my last two cars over the internet and only went into the dealerships to sign the paperwork and pick up the cars. I found that about a third of the dealerships would actually deal over the internet, a third would just give high high prices, and a third just emailed back that wanted you to come in to the dealership..

mhc wrote:Maybe the person has Sunday and Monday off and he is still catching up on emails. It is only Tuesday.

Maybe the person is sick and out a few days.

Maybe a family emergency.


Or they could have been busy with other customers in the showroom floor over the weekend and now have Monday and Tuesday off.

When I bought my car over the internet I had similar delays with responses.

One option is to just call the person and talk to them. :oops: You might even getting their voicemail saying when they will be back in the office.

Before I retired I often found that at work a two minute phone call can often handle what would take days to resolve by email.
Last edited by Watty on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

campy2010
Posts: 852
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by campy2010 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 am

KyleAAA wrote:
As consumers, this is the shopping experience we've created for ourselves and let's be honest, we deserve it. If you want a better experience, vote with your dollars by going to Carmax and paying a bit more.


Totally disagree about this. Car dealers have very, very strong lobbying efforts that have kept laws in place requiring middlemen between car makers and buyers. Consumers who buy cars once every few years have very little voice in the car buying process compared to the dealers and their lobbyists.

User avatar
David Jay
Posts: 3989
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by David Jay » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:01 am

bigguy8437 wrote:...do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?

Yes, I think the "Zero Down" could have been the trigger. That is an unusual case for an auto lease, there is almost always something "down", think of it as a security deposit.
Last edited by David Jay on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Rupert
Posts: 2667
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Rupert » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 am

campy2010 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
As consumers, this is the shopping experience we've created for ourselves and let's be honest, we deserve it. If you want a better experience, vote with your dollars by going to Carmax and paying a bit more.


Totally disagree about this. Car dealers have very, very strong lobbying efforts that have kept laws in place requiring middlemen between car makers and buyers. Consumers who buy cars once every few years have very little voice in the car buying process compared to the dealers and their lobbyists.


+1. Car dealers, not consumers, have created this shopping experience. In almost every state in the country, it is actually illegal for car manufacturers to sell cars directly to consumers. Car dealers, through their interest groups, spend a lot of money lobbying state legislators.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 am

bigguy8437 wrote: the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down



Lease for 68 months; Why not just buy it.

Just make an appointment and see your numbers; have a number in mind.

Sometimes the folks replying to emails / Internet are juniors, who line up with the more senior sales person.

No need to put any down payment. but that may be the case, we I live.

Random Poster
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:16 am

KyleAAA wrote: And since there are so many loopholes that giving a price in writing over email isn't legally binding . . . .


Hmmm...that argument seems a tad suspicious to me.

It all depends on what is in the email, of course (and I suppose the jurisdiction), but it shouldn't be that difficult to establish that the email was sent by someone who is an agent/representative of the dealership and that the email satisfies the statute of frauds.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am

Rupert wrote:
campy2010 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
As consumers, this is the shopping experience we've created for ourselves and let's be honest, we deserve it. If you want a better experience, vote with your dollars by going to Carmax and paying a bit more.


Totally disagree about this. Car dealers have very, very strong lobbying efforts that have kept laws in place requiring middlemen between car makers and buyers. Consumers who buy cars once every few years have very little voice in the car buying process compared to the dealers and their lobbyists.


+1. Car dealers, not consumers, have created this shopping experience. In almost every state in the country, it is actually illegal for car manufacturers to sell cars directly to consumers. Car dealers, through their interest groups, spend a lot of money lobbying state legislators.


Disagree. Lobbying efforts mandate a middleman but in absolutely no way mandate the current buying experience. That's entirely on consumers. Middleman experiences can be EXTREMELY painless i.e. Carmax. Car salesmen themselves are actually split on the benefits of those laws: many would prefer to do away with them completely in the belief it would be better for them.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am

Random Poster wrote:
KyleAAA wrote: And since there are so many loopholes that giving a price in writing over email isn't legally binding . . . .


Hmmm...that argument seems a tad suspicious to me.

It all depends on what is in the email, of course (and I suppose the jurisdiction), but it shouldn't be that difficult to establish that the email was sent by someone who is an agent/representative of the dealership and that the email satisfies the statute of frauds.



"Oh, we sold that car just before you came in."

Rupert
Posts: 2667
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Rupert » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:26 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Rupert wrote:
campy2010 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
As consumers, this is the shopping experience we've created for ourselves and let's be honest, we deserve it. If you want a better experience, vote with your dollars by going to Carmax and paying a bit more.


Totally disagree about this. Car dealers have very, very strong lobbying efforts that have kept laws in place requiring middlemen between car makers and buyers. Consumers who buy cars once every few years have very little voice in the car buying process compared to the dealers and their lobbyists.


+1. Car dealers, not consumers, have created this shopping experience. In almost every state in the country, it is actually illegal for car manufacturers to sell cars directly to consumers. Car dealers, through their interest groups, spend a lot of money lobbying state legislators.


Disagree. Lobbying efforts mandate a middleman but in absolutely no way mandate the current buying experience. That's entirely on consumers. Middleman experiences can be EXTREMELY painless i.e. Carmax. Car salesmen themselves are actually split on the benefits of those laws: many would prefer to do away with them completely in the belief it would be better for them.


Could you explain how cutting out the middleman would be better for the middleman? There aren't enough Carmaxes, btw. I have to drive over 180 miles to the nearest one. For all intents and purposes in most parts of the country, consumers are captive in this system.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 34145
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:33 am

There's no universal rule but many salespeople really want to get you to come in in person. It's more likely that they will be able to close the sale. You've made an investment of time to come in. They have a better chance to read your body language, and make momentary adjustments in the deal. If they are too forthcoming about prices in email or over the phone, it is too easy for people to comparison shop a dozen different dealers from the comfort of their home and pick the lowest price.

In other words, to a skilled salesperson, negotiating in person favors them, while negotiating over the phone or by email favors you.

If they are getting enough live prospects to come into the dealership in person, they will concentrate on those and ignore the others.

What's going through there head is something like this: in person I have a Y% chance of closing the sale. if I work with this customer via email, I have only a X% chance of making the sale. And I won't have the chance to upsell him by getting him to sit in the higher-trim-level model for a minute and smell the new-car smell and feel how nice the leather-texture polymer feels.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am

Rupert wrote:Could you explain how cutting out the middleman would be better for the middleman? There aren't enough Carmaxes, btw. I have to drive over 180 miles to the nearest one. For all intents and purposes in most parts of the country, consumers are captive in this system.


Perhaps in most geographic parts of the country, but most of the population is very close to a Carmax-like dealership since they tend to cluster in populated areas.

The logic goes like this: all the margin is squeezed out of the system because a LOT of people just want the lowest price and don't care at all about service. Salesman don't want to sell to those people; they'd much rather those people just buy online directly from the manufacturer or whatever. Where they can add value and boost their margins are with customers who either highly value service or who really want to test drive a car first. All sorts of affiliate schemes have been dreamed up to compensate dealers for people who want to test drive in person but then buy for less online (the Amazon model; in fact, this model already kinda exists with services like Truecar). The result would be fewer dealerships and lower volume but MUCH higher margins, at least in theory.

There is very, very, very little profit in being a middle man right now. Service and add-ons, there's profit there. But selling a new car is a razor-thin margin game even with all the holdbacks and dealer incentives. It's not unusual for a dealership to either just break even or even lose a bit of money on a deal in the hopes that you'll finance with them, buy a warranty, or regularly service your vehicle there. On an all-in basis after accounting for all costs, a dealership can expect to make a few hundred dollars in profit max on a normal non-luxury vehicle. Maybe less.

ERISA Stone
Posts: 1343
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by ERISA Stone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 am

sambb wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:My guess would be they think you aren't a serious buyer and just wasting their time. They are flooded with emails that don't go anywhere so it's somewhat understandable.


+1
Having friends in the business and being someone who buys a lot of cars, each potential client is sized up for whether or not you are worth their time. To some salespeople you are, to others you aren't. It might be best to think about it like this - they get paid if they sell a car. Perhaps your questions are related to a car that has such a small margin, that it isn't worth it to them. However, other salespeople it might be. An accord is well known to sell around invoice, and they sell them all day long since it is a very popular car. Everyone's time has value, even a car salesperson.


I have had many salepeople continue to email me AFTER I tell them directly that I have 0 interest.

staythecourse
Posts: 4966
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by staythecourse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 am

Boy you guys spend way too much time thinking about this stuff.

The truth is obvious and would be the same if you were in the salesman position. They made an offer. You countered. They responded by not responding. That's it.

Trust me if you sent another email stating that you are willing to go ahead with their offer they would email you back.

The fact they did not email you is your answer. Just like in dating. If you leave a message and the girl doesn't call back she just is not interested. Simple as that.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

bigguy8437
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by bigguy8437 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 pm

How do people go about negotiating online? My goal is to do this - find out as close as i can as to the total price that they would offer me for the car, including all registration, documentation, sales tax etc, compare the prices between 3 or 4 different dealers, and choose the lowest one. The question i have though is when telling one dealer you have a lower price from somewhere else, how do you show them the proof? Do you copy and forward the email? Do you tell them exactly what dealer in the area offered the lowest price? Right now, one dealer is offering 68 month and another is offering 70/month. Should i go to the 70/month guy and ask him if they will go any lower than 68? Or do i just deal with the total price of the car and forget monthly payments?

hudson
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by hudson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?


There's lots of good advice here.
I use James Bragg's system and information to buy cars. His package costs about $40. It also explains leasing and how to get the best deal. Once you pay, you can call and James will coach you. I've found it was worth the $40.
http://fightingchance.com/

TOJ
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by TOJ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:49 pm

I have never had good experience online. They hate dealing with internet shoppers because they are flaky and obviously are shopping around. You'll have their undivided attention if you go to the dealer. But then you get the pressure treatment that everyone hates.

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 pm

navyitaly wrote:You can't buy a car over the internet...need to be in person....


Incorrect. I bought my 2016 Tacoma in May and the first time I stepped in the dealership was to sign the paperwork and pick it up. Everything was handled over email/phone. I don't doubt that soon the paperwork will be all done digitally and they will just deliver the car. The times they are a-changin'.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by leonard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Salesperson is on commission.

In their assessment - they could more likely make a sale by focusing on someone else.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1017
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Find another dealer or sales person who will work with you via email or phone. There are some car sales folks that won't deal exclusively on email or phone because they can almost always make more money from the suckers that agree to come into the dealership to negotiate a car purchase (and you can't blame the sales person for doing so). Sales people are coin operated.

michaeljc70
Posts: 1955
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Most dealers want to get you in the dealership to make a deal. They don't want to waste time with people comparing offers from 22 dealerships. If you want the best deal, they want you to work for it. They think if they get you there and show you the car and get you in it, they will have an advantage (which they do).

When I was shopping for a car and filled out "email us" forms on dealerships websites, most didn't respond or it was a receptionist responding.

Jags4186
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?


Deal with the internet sales team. Dealing with the floor sales reps online is a waste of time. Internet sales will likely give you their best price or pretty close to it. Then go in and just say no to all of the other crap they want to sell you (fabric protection, fancy wheels, etc. etc.)

jdb
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by jdb » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:17 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:Most dealers want to get you in the dealership to make a deal. They don't want to waste time with people comparing offers from 22 dealerships. If you want the best deal, they want you to work for it. They think if they get you there and show you the car and get you in it, they will have an advantage (which they do).

When I was shopping for a car and filled out "email us" forms on dealerships websites, most didn't respond or it was a receptionist responding.

+1. Auto dealerships operate on the spiderweb business model. You are the fly. The salesman and sales manager are the arachnids and of course the dealership is the web. Yes, they give nominal recognition to Internet and email sales reluctantly, but really want you to get enmeshed in the web. Since you declined their offer to get enmeshed they lost interest in favor of the many other potential flies.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigguy8437
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 am

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by bigguy8437 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?


Deal with the internet sales team. Dealing with the floor sales reps online is a waste of time. Internet sales will likely give you their best price or pretty close to it. Then go in and just say no to all of the other crap they want to sell you (fabric protection, fancy wheels, etc. etc.)


I have an email from an internet manager from one dealer and they gave me everything price wise except sales tax. I'm not really sure how to go about negotiating this price down any more. the total right now with first month payment and everything is about 4.1 K. do i say if you decrease the price by 300-500 you have me? Or can i take this price to another dealer and ask if they will go any lower than the 4.1K for the same car?

User avatar
Dutch
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by Dutch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?


Deal with the internet sales team. Dealing with the floor sales reps online is a waste of time. Internet sales will likely give you their best price or pretty close to it. Then go in and just say no to all of the other crap they want to sell you (fabric protection, fancy wheels, etc. etc.)


I have an email from an internet manager from one dealer and they gave me everything price wise except sales tax. I'm not really sure how to go about negotiating this price down any more. the total right now with first month payment and everything is about 4.1 K. do i say if you decrease the price by 300-500 you have me? Or can i take this price to another dealer and ask if they will go any lower than the 4.1K for the same car?


You make a bid, and if they say No you should be prepared to walk away.

Your leverage in negotiations is that you have multiple options and that you're prepared to walk away. If you have your heart set on a particular dealer or car, then you don't have any leverage, and you're not negotiating.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm

I bought my last car via e-mail. Did the model selection, haggling, got an out the door price, and showed up at the dealership to pay and drive home. Those who say it cannot be done clearly have not done it.

If you find some of the dealers in your search are getting haughty or not responding, then you can take the step (and I did this) of faxing the first page of your buyer order to the attention of the sales managers of the dealerships that stopped responding along with a short note that says, "I was a serious buyer but your salespeople decided to ignore me."

I don't care if you make a ridiculous offer or not; if you're in sales and a customer makes you an offer, you owe him at the very least a polite decline. None of this disappearing act.

TRC
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by TRC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:08 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:So i emailed a car salesman on friday about a special lease for a honda. I asked for a quote, and they first sent me a link to the car to confirm it, and i said yes that is correct. then they had their manager email me and ask me if i needed anything (so now an extra person unnecessarily emailing me). So then the salesman replied back and asked if i wanted to come in for a look, and i said no i just want to hear more about your 24 month lease special. they replied with saying the accord has 68 a month with 2999 down, and then they said normal up front costs are "i think" 1340 and that includes the first month payment. they then said they can run something specific for me, and i said just have 12k miles minimum with 0 down, and they have stopped replying ever since saturday. i emailed them twice. no response back since saturday, when they had been responding promptly.

my questions are: do you think they stopped responding because i said i didn't want to put anything down?
how can i go about negotiating this? I want to see if i can lower the overall price down by 500 or so since it is only a 24 month lease. should i go to a different honda dealership and email them saying i can get this price from this other dealer for a 24 month lease special, if you can go any lower then i will go with u? and if they go lower, take it back to the original dealer and say the same thing?


I'm in technology sales. If someone isn't willing to talk on the phone or meet in person, it usually is a waste of my time and never results in a sale.

User avatar
tainted-meat
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Why did the car salesman stop replying to my emails

Post by tainted-meat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 pm

8foot7 wrote:
I don't care if you make a ridiculous offer or not; if you're in sales and a customer makes you an offer, you owe him at the very least a polite decline. None of this disappearing act.


I disagree. Why should a salesperson be held to a higher standard to someone who doesn't want to make a fair deal? Any transaction has to be beneficial for both parties or there's no point in wasting any time.

Post Reply